A Series of Misfortunes

Melody's Kiss

Joon’s POV

I have one thing to say, because of Aclaire’s confident smile I am now sure graduating Aiquiss High was going to run smoothly. I was forever indebted to her.

“So what are your other plans besides making me your distant cousin?” She asked jokingly.

To be honest I haven’t thought of any. “I’ll think of them along the way,” I replied and she gave a cheerful laugh. We walked back to the front gates and I noticed a group of girls blocking our way.

“What are you doing with Lee Jin?” One of the girls stepped forward and asked Aclaire in a threatening tone.

I could tell she couldn’t think of a quick excuse so I helped out, “Is there something wrong with relatives walking together?” I asked.

The girl ignored my comment and continued talking, “Please don’t make me repeat myself,”

Aclaire was about to speak when someone from behind pulled the girl back.

“I’m really sorry. My sister’s a little rude. Please forgive us,” said a guy. If I was correct, I think his name was Jonghyun. He grabbed onto his sister’s shoulders and guided her away from the two of us.

“Jonghyun, what are you doing?” I heard her say to her brother.

The group of girls suddenly disbanded and went their separate ways after Jonghyun and his sister left. What was that all about? I turned to face Aclaire only to find that her face had turned a feverish red…

Aclaire’s POV

I didn’t just imagine that right? Jonghyun did just come up and talk to me right? Oh my god, I was literally jumping up and down inside. I tried to control my heart rate by breathing in deeply. Joon probably noticed and questioned my actions.

“Are you feeling sick…?” he asked.

“N-no, I’m f-fine,” I mentally slapped myself for stuttering. It was going to be so obvious that I liked Jonghyun. 

“You don’t look fine,” he said.

I quickly changed the topic and said I had to go home.

“Ok, let me walk you to your apartment,” I heard Joon say. Why would he walk with me?

“That’s ok. You don’t have to. I mean, it’s not like we’re living in the same apartment building or anything,” I replied.

Joon laughed and gave a comment, “Wanna bet?”

My eyes widened, “No way! You’re seriously living there?” I said in disbelief.

He smiled and just walked ahead of me. What is that suppose to be? Yes or no?

Joon’s POV

For some reason I liked it when I didn’t give direct answers. It kind of made me mysterious. As I walked ahead I heard Aclaire following behind me. She finally caught up when her phone rang continuously. She picked it up.

“Hello?” she began, “Yes, I understand… ok I’ll be right there,” and then hung up.

“I’m sorry but one of my workmates is sick so I’m going to fill in her shift, bye,” She said and sprinted to the direction of Juliette Café. I didn’t even get to say goodbye. Oh well. I continued walking when I stepped on something hard. I lifted my foot up and found a pair of gold keys lying on the ground. Curious, I picked it up. I lifted it to my face to get a closer look. There was an address that directed to the apartment I was staying at. Three numbers were also on it but they were all blurry and I couldn’t seem to make it out. It was out of the rooms: 521 or 527, 621 or 627, and 821 or 827. I took the keys with me in case I came across the owner while I walked home.

I arrived at my apartment and chucked my bag on the couch. I did some stretches and turned the TV on.

“…and now we have our invited guest… Mblaq! Please welcome them,”

I sat up and saw Seungho, G.O, Thunder and Mir enter the show. Gosh. I wish I was there… No. I can’t think about that now. I immediately turned the TV off so I wouldn’t get distracted from my current goal.

Aclaire’s POV

I quickly got changed into my work uniform and prepared to serve some customers.

“Thanks for filling in for Rachael,” my boss said.

“Oh that’s ok,” I replied.

My boss patted my shoulder and said, “I don’t know what I’d do without you Aclaire,”

I gave a small chuckle and looked at the floor, “I’m sure you’ll do fine without me,” I told him. He smiled and ruffled my hair. I really liked boss. He was like a second father to me.

The sound of the door opened and I turned around to serve the entering customers. I took a step forward then immediately five steps back and almost bumped into another waitress. “Sorry,” I quickly apologised. I didn’t know what to do. I scanned the café and all the other waitresses/waiters were busy serving someone else. I had no choice but to walk up to the new arrived customers.

I cleared my throat, “What can I get you?” I said with a welcoming smile.

Jonghyun looked up and spoke, “Do you have any tiramisu?”

“Yes we do,” I replied. Jonghyun eating tiramisu… that was a little hard to imagine…

“Ok, then I’ll get a slice of that,” he ordered.

“And you?” I asked the girl next to him and soon realised it was his sister. Oh crap. I hope she wasn’t going to have a go at me. She looked up at me and scoffed. I was a little offended. How can someone so rude be Jonghyun’s sister?

“I want two small blueberry muffins, a chicken and mushroom pot pie, a can of sprite and a chocolate sundae. Please hurry,” she ordered while I quickly jot it down.

“So that’s a slice of tirimasu, two small blueberry muffins, a chicken and mushroom pot pie, a can of sprite and a chocolate sundae,” I said to double check. Wow. How much food did she want to get!

Jonghyun nodded and I quickly gave the order to the kitchen. Boy was I glad to leave. Not long after, their food was prepared. I walked over to their table and was being extra careful not to spill anything especially the sprite.

Jonghyun’s POV

Aclaire, I think her name was had our order on a black plastic tray. I could tell she was being careful not to spill the food as she kept looking at the drink. I don’t know what came over my sister Hyuna but she stuck her foot out, blocking Aclaire’s path.

I watched, time seemed to have slowed down and everything was done in slow motion. Firstly, Aclaire tripped. The tray then flew out of her hands… the food was floating in midair and ready to land... Her eyes widened, Hyuna gasped, and in a split second the food collapsed on top of me. Plates and glass crashed on the floor. Time resumed to its usual pace.

“I’m so, so, so sorry!” Aclaire apologised.

“Look at what you’ve done, you clumsy cow,” Hyuna insulted. I gave her a dirty look. She poked her tongue out and acted as if she was innocent. Ok Hyuna, ok.

Aclaire’s POV

I can’t believe I just tripped like that in front of Jonghyun! Worse, the food had spilt all over him. Staff came running in my direction when they heard the sound of breaking plates. I was so embarrassed that I didn’t hear a word Jonghyun’s sister said…something about a cow…?

“Here let me clean that for you,” I desperately offered.

“No it’s ok. I got it,” he said and left for the bathroom. Aclaire, why are you such a klutz! I bent over to help my fellow staff pick up the broken pieces of porcelain.

“I want this person to be fired!” I heard Jonghyun’s sister yell across the café. I sunk my head even lower when my boss arrived. I couldn’t face him, I was too ashamed.

“I’m sorry but what is your reason to fire this staff,” My boss said.

“She’s clumsy, slow, and doesn’t even make her customers feel welcome,” She stated.

What? Wasn’t it you who was acting arrogant and demanding. My boss gestured for me to go inside and I listened. Oh no. Is he considering firing me? After ten minutes he returned with a smile on his face and told me it was all a misunderstanding. I thanked him a hundred times and continued with my work. When I got out Jonghyun and his sister had already left. I sighed, my first conversation with my crush and it had to turn out like this.

After a strenuous five hours, my shift finally ended. I bid farewell to the staff and headed home. Recalling the events at the café I didn’t know how I was going to face Jonghyun tomorrow… or ever again.

I reached my apartment and walked towards the lift when I found a sign saying: OUT OF ORDER. I sighed, stairs it is! Who knew walking up to the 8th floor would feel like an eternity. I finally reached the front door of my apartment and rummaged around my pocket for my keys. It wasn’t there! I searched my purse, my school bag, and everything but I couldn’t find it! It was the 2nd of Feburary, what exactly happened today that's causing me to experience so many misfortunes??? I was really frustrated, what was I going to do…? Where could I have dropped it…? I was so tired that I slumped to the floor and decided to stay there until I thought of what to do next.

Joon’s POV

It was pretty late and I still had the pair of gold keys. I decided to do a good deed and give the rooms a try. I put on a face mask to disguise myself. You know those ones that the doctors wear. I lived on the 7th floor so I decide to walk down to room 521 which was located on the 5th floor.

I knocked on the door and a young couple opened it.

“Sorry, to bother you but are these your keys?” I asked while holding the golden keys in front of them. They shook their heads and shut the door. Not very social are they? I did the same to the rooms 527, 621 and 627 but still no success. One more floor to go I thought to myself. I arrived at the 8th floor and to my right I noticed someone slouched on the ground with her head hung low and arms by her side. I panicked. Was she... dead? I quickly sprinted back down the stairs to report what I saw.

I jumped the last few steps and raced to the receptionist,

“There’s, on the 8th floor, there’s…”

“Sir, calm down. Take a deep breath and tell me again,” the receptionist suggested.

I followed her advice and managed to catch my breath and literally yelled in panic, “There’s a dead body on the 8th floor!!!”

****

Chapter 6!! ^^ Poor Aclaire…anyway thank you to those who are reading, commenting and subscribing!! I love you!!! <3

For those who don’t know what tiramisu is it’s a type of cake and looks kind of like this: 

Tiramisu.jpg