Chapter 1

Going Native...

Wu Fan woke groggily and walked against his will to the bathroom, filling a glass with water and taking his Aropax, tipping the dose out of the tube then swallowing it followed by the water. He scrunched up his face, he hated having to swallow pills but if it got him through the day, then that was all that mattered. He walked back through into his room, and made his side of the bed. He looked over at the woman in the bed, and smiled. His room was large, spacious and modern, with all the storage being built into the walls. Wu Fan opened the wardrobe and pulled out his crisply ironed uniform. He slowly dressed, he sighed, noticing his trousers were getting a little tighter. "Stupid Pills" he mumbled to himself before walking back to the woman in the bed and kissing her cheek. "Time to get up Mei Xing," he whispered. She woke up and smiled. 

The pair went downstairs and she cooked. They were less than happy, but playing pretend was something Wu Fan was good at. They ate in silence, neither knowing quite what to say to the other. Mei Xing looked up and then smiled. "You look healthier." She said, refering to his weight gain. Wu Fan nodded and thanked her. He didn't like his weight gain, but he wasn't chubby - yet - and he wasn't the type that cared particularly about his weight. He ran his hands through his hair loosely and then stood up. It was time for work, she walked with him to the door, out of ritual more than anything, and  they shared a short kiss in the door way, again, out of ritual. 

Wu Fan walked to his silver CL-Class Mercedes and slipped into the drivers seat. He backed out of the drive and then began driving the monotomous route which took him to the only place he really felt comfortable, work, where he wasn't in and out of fights over money - which he had plenty of - or marriage - which he wasn't ready for - or even the arguments about him being married to his work. That argument really annoyed him, although most arguments led to that particular one. 

When Wu Fan got out of the car he was greeted by Zi Tao, or Tao, his best friend, another Chinese officer, and his partner in the under cover unit. Tao handed Wu Fan a Starbucks cup of coffee. Wu Fan smiled. "How are you?" Tao smiled. "Also, Shan Mao wants to know when you and Mei Xing are coming over for dinner?" Tao smiled at Wu Fan, who internally cringed. Playing happy lovers was hard enough at home, but externally he smiled. 

"Next week? Mei Xing is free next week and so am I." Wu Fan smiled a little, as the pair entered the building speaking to each other in Chinese. They sat at their adjoining desks, and their computers. Wu Fan smiled as the password screen came up and he typed in his girlfriends name. He should probably change it really, but it was a reminder of the love they had had when she wasn't nagging and he wasn't this way. He sighed a little as a newbie walked over. He coughed a little and Wu Fan looked up at him. 

"Superintendent Kim would like to see you and Officer Huang." Kris smirked a litte at how the boy tried to say Tao's surname instead of just using the closest Korean name - Hwang. Wu Fan tapped the arm of his best friend and the pair of them walked to Superintendent Kim's room. They knocked on the door, and walked in to find Superintendent Kim Junsu sitting at his oak desk, his papers stacked perfectly with a single file out on the desk.

"Ah boys," the superintendant said. A hint of his Daegu accent rung through the man's words, the accent he tried to hide, not because he was ashamed but because it was more professional. "Sit down," He smiled as the pair took their seats, Junsu smiled his usual unique smile. "Five Oceans... does it mean anything to either of you?" Wu Fan looked at Tao asking him with his eyes if the other knew -  the answer was negative. Junsu nodded, "Five Oceans is a religious sect that operates on the outskirts of Seoul." Wu Fan and Tao nodded, Junsu flicked open the file. "This sect have been overly active in the suburbs of Seoul recently. We're concerned that their member increase, and the suspicious activity around the area could be the warning for a mass suicide or a declaration of war on the rest of society. I need you two to go in and find out what they pan to do. So we can stop it before it gets too bad." Wu Fan and Tao had done this kind of thing before, mainly gangs. 

"The leader is Park Chanyeol." Wu Fan nodded. 

"Why us? How do we fit in, he's Korean." Wu Fan asked. 

"He has a deputy. Zhang Yi Xing, the followers call him Lay." Junsu turned the notes around, "Most of the followers are Chinese immigrants to Seoul. Chanyeol offers them shelter, lessons in the language, a religion and security. This is how he takes people in. They start to believe in his religion and well, Baekhyun will tell you both the basics in sects and stuff." Junsu said, "You start tomorrow, go see Baekhyun now he's expecting you." 

Wu Fan and Tao both bowed and left the room before walking through the ancient police building to the intelligence section, where they found Baekhyun. "You're the two investigating Five Oceans." He smiled, slightly intimidated by the pairs height. "Right, a sect is a denomination of a religion who are more committed, have stricter rules and also have a stronger community. There are many types of sects but as far as we know Five Oceans is conversionist, meaning they try to get as many members as possible. You need to be careful because they are very persuasive." Baekhyun nodded. 

"We know. We've been undercover before." Tao said harshly, causing Wu Fan to smack his chest lightly. Sometimes Tao could be a bit mean when he thought he was being talked down to. 

"As I was saying, however, they could be Adventist, meaning they believe a higher entity is going to take them away and those sects end in a mass suicide. We want to save the lives of those people if we can," Baekhyun sighed. "Other problems we need to find out are - criminal activities - a lot of sects are criminal, danger to society as sects are very critical of society and tend to hate it. And finally, if the leader is using his power to get from men or women, whatever be his preference. You need to get in take notes and get out." 

The pair nodded. Baekhyun handed them two Chinese passports, ID cards and drivers licenses. "You are Kris Wu, born and raised in Harbin, Mudanjiang. And you, are Edison Huang, born and raised in Tianjin. Both of you came to Korea together and have degrees in English and Korean. Majoring in English and minoring in Korean. Ok?" 

Kris Wu, Wu Fan thought as he mentally became his new persona, he could do this. This was going to be easy. Easier than some of his other missions, some of them he'd had to learn martial arts for, but this was simple: be a normal human who is lost, hurt or scared and needs a home in a foreign country, "How do we get in?" 

"We have a contact. Kim Jongin. You will meet him tomorrow and he will give you your backstories and how he met you - he goes by the name of Kai when he is in the sect. Good Luck"