Chapter Three

Our world we live in

---
Chapter Three
---

After taking a long, slow walk to try to organise her thoughts, Yoobin arrived home at the Wonderapartment. Assuming the others would still be out, she was surprised to hear annoyed mumbling and the tell-tale sounds of snack food wrappers being opened coming from SunMi’s room.

Following the sound, Yoobin found herself face to face with a frowning Ye Eun sitting on SunMi’s bed.

“Umm. Ye Eun?,” Yoobin started to ask cautiously. “What are you doing?”

Ye Eun looked up.

“Munching,” Ye Eun replied simply. “Want some?”

Yoobin nodded slowly as she sat down next to the other girl.

Ye Eun offered her a bag of snacks and Yoobin accepted with a smile of thanks.

“Isn’t SunMi gonna be mad that you’re spreading crumbs all over her bed?,” Yoobin asked.

“I hope so,” Ye Eun replied. “But then again I think she might just go into alien spy mode and try to figure out which snacks we actually ate here.”

“We?,” Yoobin asked with a joking tone. “So I’m an accomplice now am I?”

“Of course,” Ye Eun replied. “We make the best team.”

Yoobin smiled.

At the silence, Ye Eun wondered about whether or not she should say something about certain feelings that had been revealed during that particular day.

“Unnie,” Ye Eun started softly.

“Hmm?,” Yoobin replied while snacking nervously.

“About Sunye...” Ye Eun continued.

Yoobin almost jumped at hearing the name.

“Why are you suddenly bringing up Sunye?,” Yoobin asked suspiciously.

“Umm, stuff kind of happened today,” Ye Eun replied.

“Does everyone know what happened? Why does everyone know what happened? How can that even be when I hardly know what happened?,” Yoobin countered.

Ye Eun felt giant sweat drops forming at the back of her head.

“It can’t really be helped, we had SunMi and she kind of has these powers...”

“What?,” asked Yoobin.

“I mean. No we don’t know what happened?,” Ye Eun answered while trying her best to sound innocent.

The worried look on Yoobin’s face told her she was failing quite considerably.

“Really it’s true,” Ye Eun insisted, her voice breaking.

Yoobin blinked and Ye Eun sighed.

“Ok. That’s a lie. We all know. There are love feelings. We spied,” Ye Eun said guiltily.

Feeling Yoobin freeze next to her Ye Eun wondered whether or not she should continue. Taking a deep breath and remembering words she’d spoken just a moment before that she scooted closer and put an arm around the older girl’s shoulders.

“We make the best team,” Ye Eun repeated. “No matter what, I just need you to know that I’m on your side. So if you and our fearless leader suddenly or not so suddenly decide that you have feelings for each other then...”

“There’s nothing,” Yoobin said, interrupting the other girl.

Ye Eun heard tears in her voice even before they’d fallen from Yoobin’s eyes.

“Unnie shh I’m here,” Ye Eun said as she comforted Yoobin.

“There’s... I... she doesn’t... there’s nothing,” Yoobin managed to say once her tears had stopped.

“What happened?,” Ye Eun asked.

Wordlessly Yoobin walked out of the room only to return minutes later with her diary in hand. Opening it to a particular page, she handed it to Ye Eun.

“She read it,” Yoobin said. “And then we cried.”

--
Meanwhile, at a nearby cafe the youngest Wondergirls were having troubles of their own.

“SunMi why are we here? I feel anxious and aggravated and the urges to hit you are getting harder and harder to control,” Sohee said.

SunMi turned to look at Sohee with puppy dog eyes.

“Sohee,” she started with the cutest whine she’s ever managed. “Sunye-unnie and Taeyon-unnie. Heeelp.”

Sohee sighed and looked over at the aforementioned unnie’s table.

“SunMi they’re just talking,” Sohee said.

“They’re bonding!,” SunMi replied not so coolly.

“They’re not bonding! They’re probably just talking about leader-y things leaders talk about.”
“Taeyon-unnie...”

Sohee sighed. Moving closer as instinct told her she should take the chance to hit the girl, she was surprised to find all she did was give SunMi a pat on the head.

“Relax. Panic comes if there’s kissing,” Sohee said.

“Kissing?!!!”

“Aaaand here come the hysterics,” Sohee said as she felt a migraine coming on from trying to restrain SunMi.

--

As she finished reading the pages offered her, Ye Eun looked up at Yoobin and gave the older girl the best comforting smile she could muster.

Yoobin returned the smile thankfully and the two shared a hug.

After that however, Ye Eun’s smile turned from comforting, to cheeky, to damn right worrying from Yoobin’s perspective.

“Please call her,” Ye Eun started while subtly taking Yoobin’s phone out of the jacket lying next to her. “You need to call her. If you don’t call weird things will start happening as soon as Sohee and SunMi come home and believe me, once those start you’ll really be wishing you just picked up the phone and called her.”

“What?,” Yoobin asked with a squeak. “You said you were on my side!”

“I am! Of course I am. Girl loves the girl, girl gets the girl, friend stays safe from SohMi-pair. Here’s your phone. I dialled.”

Yoobin didn’t know what to say and instead just stood there looking at the smiling Ye Eun with a disbelieving expression on her face.

“Ye Eun, I haven’t seen you all day. Please tell me you didn’t spend the entire time learning bad habits from the youngest ones,” Yoobin asked.

Ye Eun shut her eyes tightly in an attempt to push out visions of herself chasing SunMi around for a good part of the day. ‘It hurts how I can’t deny her accusations,’ she thought with a wry smile.

Suddenly a rather unfamiliar voice interrupted the two girl’s thoughts.

“Hello? Sunye’s phone,” Taeyon answered cheerfully.

“Oh crap she picked up,” Yoobin said in a rather alarmed fashion. “What do I do now?”

“Hello?,” the voice continued.

Yoobin pressed a button before sharing a multiple blink look with Ye Eun.

“I hung up,” Yoobin said.

“Indeed,” Ye Eun replied while nodding.

Yoobin let herself fall backwards on the bed and started rolling around.

“A girl answered,” she said.

“Which was generally what we were expecting,” Ye Eun replied, still nodding.

“She was perky,” Yoobin said just before they were interrupted by a cell phone ring.

“Oh no she called back!,” Yoobin said in a rather alarmed fashion as she fought the urge to flee.

Ye Eun smiled and rolled her eyes.

“It’s mine, hold on,” Ye Eun said.

After seeing who it was that was actually calling, Ye Eun paled before shooting Yoobin a pleading look.

“It’s Sohee. You pick it up,” Ye Eun said.

“Hello?,” Yoobin said into the phone as she took her turn to roll her eyes as Ye Eun shrugged sheepishly.

“Ye Eun-unnie!,” Sohee said. “There’s a little bit of a complication taking place right now. SunMi’s not really being much of a help.”

“Taeyon-unniie...”

“Umm, actually she’s fan-girling all over the place,” Sohee continued. “Hello? Unnie? Please just come! We’re at that restaurant we always go to when it’s my turn to cook, I’m gonna need someone’s help to drag SunMi out of here in case security comes.”

“Taeyon-unnie... kissing... nooo.”

“SunMi! Get yourself together woman! Hey where are you putting your hands?,” Sohee pleaded.

“You’re the one that tackled me!,” SunMi shot out. “I need to prevent possible romantic happenings from happening right now!”

“That is not what you’re doing right now! SunMi! hands!”

Yoobin and Ye Eun shared a look before Yoobin pressed a button.

“I hung up again,” Yoobin said as she handed the phone back.

“Did you hear somebody say Taeyon?,” Ye Eun asked as she accepted it.

--

“Hey what the..,” Sohee said as she and SunMi came to a stand-still. “Taeyon-unnie’s alone over there,” she continued while poking SunMi in the side, which was rather a feat in itself as she was restraining the girl with both arms.

“Great! Should I pounce?,” SunMi questioned all too seriously.

“What? No!,” Sohee replied quickly.

“Ok,” a visibly relaxed SunMi said.

“SunMi?”

“Yeah?”

“Your mood swings. They’re kind of amazing,” Sohee said honestly.

“Thanks,” SunMi replied.

“No problem.”

Suddenly the girls were interrupted by someone clearing their throat from a rather close distance.

“Explanations please,” Sunye said.

Sohee gulped and grabbed the girl on her left in order to foil SunMi’s attempt to crawl away.

“We were hungry and umm this is a restaurant in which one eats so here we are,” Sohee said. “... hiding. Without food. I should learn to lie better,” she finished practically for herself alone.

“Why are you on a date with Taeyon unnie?!,” SunMi asked with a pout.

“A what?,” Sunye asked genuinely surprised.

“You already have a possible girlfriend!,” SunMi continued.

“I do?”

As Sunye was delivering this question, the phone at Sohee’s side started ringing and the girl picked it up whole heartedly believing that whoever it was couldn’t possibly be as odd as the ones having a conversation in front of her.

“Sohee? Hello? Its Ye Eun.”

“Why do you say that I have a potential girlfriend? And how can you say I’m on a date,” Sunye continued asking.

“Sunye? Is that Sunye?,” Ye Eun yelled through the phone. “Sunye! What are you doing on a date with Taeyon?”

“I’m on a what? Why is everyone saying the same weird things?,” Sunye asked.

“If she wants to be on a date with certain perky people then that’s just fine by me,” Yoobin mumbled as she made to walk out of SunMi’s room.

“Unnie gosh hold on,” Ye Eun said as she followed the older girl. “Sunye! Only date one person at a time!,” she yelled into the phone.

“Make that one person not Taeyon-unnie!,” SunMi said.

“I’m not dating her!,” Sunye replied.

“Stop stop everyone!,” Sohee managed to get out through the ruckus. “Do you hear me Ye Eun-unnie? We, as in all of us, are going to have lunch. Here in this restaurant. Just get here!,” she finished before hanging up.

--
Ye Eun followed Yoobin who had now taken to curling up on the couch.

“We’re going to lunch,” Ye Eun said.

“No, you’re going to lunch,” Yoobin replied.

“Unnie, we’re going to lunch,” Ye Eun insisted.

“You’re going to lunch,” Yoobin countered.

“Min-SunPerky,” Ye Eun said simply.

“Ok, we’re going to lunch.”

“Thank you.”

--
“Wow all the Wondergirls! I think this is the first time we’ve ever been out just for fun,” Taeyon said cheerfully.

The Wondergirls nodded and gave their best smiles.

‘I think that’s because most of us try to avoid the awkward,’ Ye Eun thought.

‘She’s so perky I kind of want to smack her,’ Yoobin thought. ‘Oh God, I’m turning into Sohee.’

‘This person thinks this is fun?!,’ Sohee thought. ‘This isn’t fun. Not doing this is fun!’

‘Taeyon-unnie is so good looking,’ SunMi thought suddenly as she looked at the girl. ‘I wonder where my moustache is.’

“Sunye here’s your phone that you told me to hold. Someone called earlier, I don’t know if I was fast enough to pick it up though they didn’t really say anything,” Taeyon said.

“Thanks,” Sunye said as she accepted the phone.

Looking through the call records Sunye tried to conceal a smile as she saw the call was from Yoobin. ‘She wanted to talk to me?,’ she thought.

Sunye then tried to meet the girl’s eyes, unfortunately for her Yoobin was busy dealing with unwelcome things running through her mind.

‘Oh my God they touched!,’ Yoobin and SunMi thought simultaneously.

‘And why the heck was Sunye so smiley just because Taeyon handed her a phone?!,’ Yoobin’s thoughts continued.

Ye Eun and Sohee saw sparks fly in Yoobin and SunMi’s eyes as the two leader’s hands brushed casually in the exchange.

‘This... could prove dangerous,’ Ye Eun thought.

‘Exit plans,’ thought Sohee. ‘Need need need emergency exit plans just in case this doesn’t work out like I thought it would.’

“So,” Taeyon began as she tried to make conversation with the rest of the girls. “Who’s got an interesting love life these days? Don’t be afraid to share, we’re all girls here,” she said jokingly as she playfully wrapped an arm around Sunye’s shoulders and smiled brightly at the girl.

Ye Eun’s mouth dropped. ‘Ok, so if I kill her now, the chances of me dying later on due to a Yoobin-unnie or SunMi caused explosion decrease considerably. Wow, am I turning into Sohee?!’

‘Love life?!!,’ Yoobin thought incredulously. ‘Is she flaunting MY Sunye in front of me?!, wait what did I just think? I really hope no one just heard me think.’

SunMi, who was sitting on her left side looked over at Yoobin and gave a questioning look.

“Psst Yoobin-unnie,” she said as she leant over. “Did you just think that Taeyon-unnie was flaunting your Sunye in front of you?”

Yoobin’s jaw dropped as SunMi continued speaking.

“I really think I just heard you think,” the younger girl reported with an innocent smile.

Sunye who was sitting quite far away from Yoobin in the scheme of things wondered what she was doing with SunMi’s lips so close to her ear.

“Sunye?,” Taeyon questioned. “Why are you frowning?”

“Me? Oh, umm,” Sunye stammered out. “I have a tiny headache, I think I might be dehydrated.”

“Oh,” Taeyon replied. “Let me get you some...”

“Water!,” Yoobin said shooting out of her seat. “Umm, water... please,” she said to the waiter rushing over with an embarrassed look on her face.

When he returned with glasses and a pitcher Taeyon somehow managed to be the fastest to the pitcher and proceeded to calmly hand Sunye her glass, smiling at the girl as she did so.

Scooting ever closer to Sunye, Taeyon brushed hair away from the girl’s face with a free hand before casually returning the arm around Sunye’s shoulders.

SunMi blinked as she surveyed the scene.

‘What’s going on?,’ she thought to herself. ‘This isn’t Taeyon unnie.’

Surveying the looks of those around her she spotted a nervous Sunye, an incensed Yoobin, an inwardly freaking out Ye Eun and a rather calm Sohee. Meeting the girl’s eye, SunMi shot her a questioning look.

Sohee replied with a small nod directing SunMi back to the action at hand.

‘Ridiculous,’ thought SunMi with a small smile as she directed her attention back to the others seated at the table at Sohee’s cue.

“Want me to massage your neck?,” Taeyon asked as she continued to give Sunye her full attention. “It might help you to relieve some stress,” she said as she trailed her hand from Sunye’s neck to about halfway down her back.

“Why does there need to be public neck massaging?!,” Yoobin asked before she could control herself.

Taeyon shrugged nonchalantly. “Well I suppose it doesn’t need to be so public if Sunye would like to go somewhere else.”

“As if I’d let her go with you!,” Yoobin continued. “Why would you get to massage Sunye? Why are you even sitting so close to her? It should be me!”

At the outburst, Taeyon removed her arm slowly from around Sunye’s neck and moved slightly away from the girl. Meeting Yoobin’s eyes, she threw the other girl a smile.

“It should be me,” Yoobin repeated, almost as if she had said it only for herself.

Shooting permanently out of seat, Yoobin placed a hand on Sunye’s arm, wordlessly dragging the girl out of her seat and out of the restaurant at breakneck speed.

“I agree,” Taeyon said.

--

Ye Eun, while wearing a question-mark on her face, didn’t even bother trying to rationalise the situation.

Taeyon and Sohee smiled at each other and SunMi shook her head.

“So, how did I do?” Taeyon asked Sohee cheekily.

Ye Eun gasped. “Wait wait,” she asked with a floored expression. “What just happened here?”

SunMi stood up and proceeded to point at Taeyon and Sohee respectively.

“Sneaky people are sitting in front of me!,” she accused while jumping up and down.

“Please, please tell me that gigantic stressful excuse for a food eating excursion wasn’t a planned event,” Ye Eun pleaded.

“What can I say,” Taeyon wondered outloud as she re-read a message from Sohee. “Cell phones are useful.”

SunMi was still jumping and pointing as Ye Eun continued.

“Sohee, why aren’t you saying anything? Why are you and Taeyon smiling like that? Why is the sky blue? Why do we have so much free time today? Why am I not eating cake? Waiter! Please just bring me cake!,” she finished while laying her head on the table.

Finally feeling finished with her jumping and pointing, SunMi sat down next to Sohee and pointed at the girl.

“You planned things while I was hyperventilating,” SunMi said matter-of-factly.

“Well yeah,” Sohee agreed. “I figured it would be up to me in the end. I am an actress you know.”

--
Sunye found herself running out of the restaurant because of confusion and embarrassment. Then she found herself running through the streets because she thought she and Yoobin were going somewhere.

After that she realised that the girl was holding her hand and it didn’t matter where they were going because they were together. Then Sunye ran because she was happy.

When Yoobin finally stopped, the two girls found themselves at a small playground where there were only a few children playing.

Taking seats on the swing-set, Yoobin and Sunye sat side by side, wordlessly holding hands.

‘Please don’t let this turn awkward,’ Yoobin thought in her head over and over.

“What are you thinking?,” Sunye asked gently.

“Hm? Oh I’m just hoping this doesn’t turn awkward. I mean, umm...”

Sunye laughed and Yoobin gave her a sheepish shrug.

“Sorry,” Yoobin said with a small smile.

“We ran pretty far today,” Sunye said.

“Especially me,” Yoobin replied seriously. “I’m sorry about before. I’m sorry I didn’t stay and listen to what you had to say.”

“It’s ok. I know I’m not very good at expressing myself when it comes to situations like this. But you should know... when I read ... all that... I was happy.”

Yoobin nodded.

“I just processed it badly you know,” Sunye continued as she squeezed Yoobin’s hand in order to get the girl to look at her. “Because, in reality, I... also... umm.”

Yoobin felt a blush colouring her cheeks as she watched Sunye try to form her words nervously.
“I... also...,” Sunye began again.

Taking a meaningful breath in, Yoobin brought her eyes up to stare deeply into Sunye’s effectively silencing the girl.
Sunye blushed shyly.

“Are you ok?,” Yoobin asked in a whisper.

“I’m kind of too nervous to breathe,” Sunye replied, still blushing.

Yoobin nodded and awarded her a small smile.

“Me too,” she said as she leaned closer.

Unsure that either she or Sunye was ready for what she planned on doing, Yoobin moved her lips slightly to the side of her original target and planted a gentle kiss near the corner of Sunye’s mouth.

Sunye, whose eyes had been closed since Yoobin started her lean curved her lips firstly into a smile and then a sort of annoyed grimace as she heard a message come through on her phone.

Reaching for it with the complete intention of switching it off Sunye found that the message was from SunMi and couldn’t help clicking the ‘read’ button.

“She missed,” SunMi had said in the message.

“Unbelievable,” Sunye whispered as Yoobin shot her a questioning look before the girl got a message on her phone.

“How could you miss?,” Sohee asked in the message.

Yoobin thought she was going to die of embarrassment as Sunye searched the surrounding area for their younger counterparts.

Finally finding them, courtesy of SunMi’s inability to stay still, Sunye wandered over with Yoobin still attached to her.
“Can’t believe you three,” Sunye said.

“Especially you Ye Eun,” Yoobin continued. “You’re supposed to stop the young ones from doing weird things like messaging people when they’re...”

“Canoodling in public?,” Sohee and SunMi asked together causing the Yoobin and Sunye to blush an even darker shade.

“I tried to stop them,” Ye Eun said as the group started walking back to their apartments. “I should have just told them to take photos.”

Sunye and Yoobin stopped in their tracks shooting pleading looks at Ye Eun.

“Like me,” Ye Eun said with a smirk while waving her cell phone.

====