Chapter 6

One summer

 

Aunt Mina told me to bake some cream puffs because Haruma secretly loves them. He didn’t want me to know because he knew I would brag about it. The jerk was a secret fan of my cooking skills after all.

But that jerk saved my life.

It should’ve been me on that bed. And if he wasn’t there that night, I may not even be on the hospital bed at all. I would most likely be in a coffin by then.

But he could’ve just called the cops right away to avoid the hassle.

But no – he saved me. He beat those guys like a god. He just had to show off. He made sure I witnessed how I mattered to him. That we’re not just summer break buddies. The jerk made my guilty conscience eat me up like a monster.

He was smiling as he saw me enter the room with a bag of baked goods.

“Are those cream puffs?” He asked as he smiled showing his signature left dimple.

“Yes but they’re not for you.” I joked as I settle the bag on the side table.

We were grinning at each other when I realized that this guy had saved me twice. I think he was bound to be my superhero.

“How are you feeling?” I asked.

“Same as always.” He replied with a confident smile.

“Liar.” I said. It was his third day in the hospital and his wounds were still quite fresh. He refused to take painkillers because he said so. He appeared manlier to the nurses and to our female camping club members – especially Emi.

Emi visited him as soon as she heard the news. She brought all kinds of fruits and gave Haruma a tight hug like they were lovers. Haruma groaned in pain as she pressed her weight on his wound.

“Do you want me to unwrap the precious cream puffs?” I said teasingly.

I did abide on my promise that I would treat Haruma better but we were awkward when I did it and Haruma didn’t like it. He told me I didn’t have to be nice just because he saved me. He said it was more fun when we tease each other every time.

“Nah, I’ll eat them later when you’re gone.” He said.

“So you can secretly praise my excellent baking skills, right?” I teased more.

“Right.” He agreed with sarcasm. “The doctor said I can go home tomorrow. Shall we do some mountain-climbing then?”

“Are you crazy? Do you want your stitches to snap?” I warned.

He chortled softly to avoid stressing his cut. “I was joking. You worry too much.”

The jerk never failed to be a jerk. Even with his injury, he was still a pro in pushing my buttons.

I guess I was frowning when he asked “Are you mad?”

“No.” I said as I quickly gain my poise back. “Not for now. But when you’re all healed up, then I will. And I’ll kick your shins so you won’t be able to walk.” I said exposing my violent side.

But he only laughed at my evil and childish plan. Then we had one of those staring sessions again. This time it was longer and as usual I was the one who broke away first.

A knock on the door followed and thank goodness to that random visitor for saving me from another potential awkward conversation with Haruma.

“Haruma!” Emi yelled from the door as I signaled her to come in. She pushed me to the side to give Haruma a hug.

“Ouch.” I said as I got tossed to the side like a crumpled paper. I watched Emi Haruma’s hair.

“Are you feeling better?” She asked worriedly.

“Mhhmm.” Haruma nodded and smiled.

Wow they were flirting right in front of me. After peeling a banana for Haruma, Emi then cleared really loud as if it was a sign for me to do something. And then she did it twice. And on the third time, she went up to me and told me to get lost. What a desperate woman! I was not even done talking to Haruma. Or should I say ‘staring session’.

The obedient girl I was stood up and left the room without complaining. If Haruma and Emi are dealing right now, then he must be a player. Those ‘staring sessions’ that we would always have definitely counts for something. But then again, maybe it’s just one of his mannerisms.

I spent my entire afternoon helping Sho bake his first cake. He loves mango so we made his first cake out of it. He was a fast learner so we only used up about one hour just to perfect his writing when I did it for a few days. He wrote ‘Thank you Claire” in perfect cursive.

I gave him a satisfied grin and a gentle pat on the head after we took a picture of his masterpiece. Then we drove over the orphanage for the children to enjoy and as expected they were quite impressed with their senpai. The humble he was shared the glory with me as he told the children that I taught him how to make it.

I went home realizing that I miss Haruma. It felt lonely without him teasing me all the time and randomly pulling off pranks on me. I miss his laugh and his smirk when he wins a point over me. And that deep indentation on his left cheek that would show up even from just the slightest movement of his mouth. I took my phone from my pocket to check if he messaged or called me. But he didn’t.

And just when I needed someone to confirm my feelings, Mika called. But she called to complain about this person that confessed to her.

“So he has all the qualities you want. What is stopping you?” I asked confused at her indecisiveness.

“Ugh, were you even listening? He’s going to military. Do you think our relationship would last if we do start one? The chances of him dying is pretty huge and I’m not being pessimistic here. We both know that in the end, I will get hurt.” She said brokenheartedly.

“Make him quit it then. If he really likes then he would leave the armed force.” I said.

“You don’t understand. It has always been his dream to get into army ever since he was a child. His dad was a soldier and he looked up to him his entire life. He wants to be just like his father.”

“I think you already made up your mind, Mika. Why did you even call me and asked for my advice?”

“Ugh. Why are you my best friend? Of course I called you because I want to prove to myself that my decision is right.”

“And that is?”

“To reject him.”

“Well how about this? Tell him what you feel. And tell him what you think about your future if you two decided to go out. Don’t just reject him. He wouldn’t confess if he didn’t feel any hint from you.” I suggested.

“I guess you’re kind of right too. I mean I don’t want any regrets. I don’t want to have more ‘what ifs’. I should definitely tell him.”

“Yeah and I think he deserves to know it.”

“Now I have a reason why you’re my best friend. For a split-second I thought I was losing you.”

“Hmm… Did you know that Haruma got stabbed by a gang member?”

“WHAT? WHY? Was he like drunk or something and got into a fight with them?” She asked worriedly.

“No. He was saving me.”

“OMG.”

“Yeah.”

“… Are you guys… together?”

“NO!” My voice was louder than I expected. “I really don’t know actually.”

“And you never told me anything about this?” She asked offended.

“Well everything happened pretty quick and before the stabbing happened we actually had a fight and so I didn’t feel like talking about him when you last called.”

“Oh, Claire. It’s my first time hearing you talk about a guy.”

“You’re exaggerating it Mika. I do talk about guys with you.”

“Yeah. Like those kpop idols from JYJ and Super Junior. Those definitely do not count.”

 I couldn’t talk for a while because I was not certain if I should be even talking about this with her.

“Do you like him?” Mika asked after that long pause.

“Like? Maybe.”

“Do you feel like you miss him when you don’t see him?”

“Yeah. Like right now I do.”

“Aww Claire! I want to meet him. You are never this indecisive! Okay, here’s what you do. Confess to him.”

“ARE YOU CRAZY?!” I blurted out.

“Claire, is everything alright in there?” My aunt asked from the outside of my room.

“Yes aunt! Sorry!” I said embarrassingly. “Are you crazy?” I asked Mika the second time but this time it was softer.

“Yes. And you are too. You don’t want to wait until the last day comes, right? The sooner you do it, the lesser heartache you’ll get.”

“But I think he just came from a break-up and plus I think he’s –.” I trailed off my words not sure if I should spill more to her.

“Don’t tell me he’s married.”

“No no!” I laughed nervously. She was sort of getting there and I’m not sure myself if it’s true so I guess confessing to him would answer everything. “Okay, I think I made up my mind. I’m going with your plan.”

“GREAT!” She exclaimed. “I can’t wait to hear what will happen. Don’t you dare forget to call me.” She said warningly.

“Yes Mika-chan. I will not forget.”

 

 

The next day was Haruma’s last day in the hospital so my aunt woke up extra early just to prepare a feast for him when he arrives. It was so dramatic that she could feed the entire town with the lunch she cooked.

“Aunt Mina this is really unnecessary. It’s not like he’s going to binge on food after eating horrible hospital meals.” I whined.

“Claire, how many times do I have to tell you? You should never complain if there’s a lot of food in table. It’s a blessing from God. Just be thankful we’re going to enjoy a great meal. We’ll bring the leftover to the orphanage. Don’t worry, nothing’s going to be wasted.” She said incessantly without waiting for me to reply or whine more. “Now go. I believe you have to pick someone up.” She said as she gave the suggestive look.

 

Mr. Shuji excused him self from his work to drive the car for me. He was very impressed at what Haruma did for me and he thought I should definitely marry him because of that.

“Mr. Shuji, we’re not even dating. How am I going to marry him?” I asked flippantly.

“But everyone thinks you are. A fine gentleman and a lovely lady are both hesitant? What’s stopping you? He seems to be a responsible man.”

“He is.” I agreed.

“Then why not?” He asked as he studied my expression.

“Because we just met.”

“Do you believe in love at first sight?”

I laughed. ‘Love at first sight’ did not even come to mind after Aunt Mina introduced Haruma. “My dad said it is true.”

“What about you?”

“I haven’t experienced it.”

“Oh well. You’re still young. Why am I rushing you? You have all the time in the world. Just don’t take your time too much or you might end up like me.” He warned.

Okay, even Mr. Shuji’s got love problems? What on earth is happening to everybody?

“What do you mean, Mr. Shuji?” I asked.

“I was so close to marrying the woman that I loved. But I was pursuing the medicine career in the city that I took her for granted.” He said regretfully.

“You’re a doctor?” I asked amazed.

“I was a surgeon. I thought after I get my PhD I would be happy. But I wasn’t.”

“So that’s why you’re here as a fisherman?”

“Mhmm..” He agreed.

I never knew this place was for people who want to forget about their painful relationship and start a new and simpler life. It’s becoming a trend that I feel like I would be the next patient.

So many signs are urging me to tell Haruma that he’s been stuck in my head for some days now. I think they are good enough signs and I feel like something positive would come out of it.

 

“Good morning Mr. Miura Haruma.” The nurse greeted.

“Ohaiyou.” He greeted and grinned back.

“I like that you’re smiling Haruma-san. Because you’re getting discharged today.” She informed as she helped him get up from the bed. “You can walk around the atrium area while I get your papers ready. And your clothes, Claire told me she would bring it with her so you should be able to see her on your way. If not, I’ll take them to you.” She said.

“Yes, Nurse Koto.”

He walked gentler to avoid putting too much pressure on his wound. The rays of the sun penetrating through skylight window gave him a better vision of the well taken care off garden outside the glass wall surrounding the atrium. He never felt so peaceful in his life that he almost missed a familiar voice calling out his name.

“Haruma.”

He spun around to see a friendly face smiling at him.

“Here are your clothes.” I said as she handed a medium sized paper bag.

“Thanks.” He smiled. “Why are you so refined today?”

“You must be feeling better now. You have the energy to make fun of me.”

He laughed and it felt like home after hearing it for a while. “You missed me didn’t you?”

I looked up at him and our eyes met like usual. Instead of letting my eyes do the job of expressing what I feel, I spoke.

“Haruma…”

“Mhhmm?”

“Can I tell you a secret?”

He smirked. What the heck? He’s showing me all the things that I miss about him. “Sure. But I can’t promise that I will keep my mouth shut.”

Haha. Well, we’ll see if you will not keep your mouth shut after my confession.

“Okay.”

“Go on.”

Am I really doing this?

“I’m waiting Claire. The nurse is going to call me any minute now.”

“You are so impatient. Of course I need to pause for a while.”

Wow, I can’t believe I just said that. It’s like I’m reenacting a scripted drama that I’ve seen in movies.

“What? A pause? Are we on a theatrical play? Am I playing Mercutio’s role?”

Idiot. You are Romeo.

“Haruma. I’m serious here.”

“Alright. What is it then?”

“I think I like you.”

Oh, so I thought I was going to stick with the plan of saying the words in a thespian way. But I guess my nervousness got into me and I just blurted it out like I was telling him what kind of bagel I wanted him to get me.