That Girl

When I Fall

 After having returned to his seat in math class as Mr. Lee gave him questioning glares, he just decided to cope with how bad this day was turning out despite not really having a reason as to why.

“Hey Key, over here!”

At the call of his name, Key flipped his head around and found Jinki or Onew or whatever waving at him through the busy crowds of snooty teenagers across the cafeteria beside Jonghyun, not noticing the stares he received. He stood there stupidly for a while, mind blank, and blinked his still slightly puffy eyes back to reality as his feet carried him over to the three boys he met a few days back. Minho told him he was going to head to the bathroom really quick and that he should head over to the cafeteria and grab something to eat. Frankly though, he wasn’t hungry one bit. Just…tired.

“Where’s Minho?” Key reached the older boys’ table and thought of whether he was allowed to sit or not, but ended up sitting across from them anyways, greeted with Jonghyun’s question, which he somehow caught within the crazy ruckus of lunch time. He caught sight of the brunette raising an eyebrow, waiting for a reply, and Key quickly lowered his gaze.

“Bathroom.” The two nodded and starting digging into their food, Jinki eating chicken and Jonghyun eating gimbab. “Taemin?”

“He’s thirteen you know, still in middle school? He’s in the other end of campus.” Jonghyun didn’t even hesitate to answer, still chewing mindlessly and clicking his chopsticks together.

“The kid should be in elementary school still.” Jinki scoffed, mumbling with a filled mouth, which ticked him off a bit. Thankfully, he swallowed the bits of food down and stared at the spot on the table in front of Key. “Not hungry?” The older boy tilted his head to the side and his lips in the process.

He shook his head in small movements. “You should eat, Key.” He shifted his eyes to his left towards the familiar deep, velvety voice and found Minho sliding into a chair next to him, the loud scraping noise adding to the buzzed conversations of students. The tall boy huffed a deep breath and leaned back in his chair, studying everyone’s surprised expressions. “What?”

Key looked away and stared ahead at the students wrestling and demolishing their foods. The two oldest boys blinked once or twice and just ignored Minho’s question. They wordlessly resumed to biting, chewing, and swallowing. The mood wasn’t usually like this, Key could tell. The two older boys seem like wild exuberant teenagers who always have a new interesting topic to talk about, but he was here, making things difficult. Minho glanced between his brother and his other hyungs, sensing the same problem as Key.

“Hey guys, you’re coming over today too right?”

Key’s ears immediately adjusted to the new conversation that was unfolding, but his position didn’t falter. He didn’t like that he’d have to face these guys at home too. They didn’t like him.

“Um, yeah I guess.” Jonghyun scratched his head, pulling off a smirk.

Jinki scraped out the remains of his lunch and and smacked his lips in satisfaction. He settled back in his chair, eyes closed and rubbing his belly. “Can we do that thing your dad talked about a few weeks ago? I want to use your BB guns.” He opened his eyes and they sparkled with excitement.

“‘Zero Hours?’” Jonghyun leaned forward on the table on one arm, looking towards Jinki.

“Yeah. It sounded fun.” Jinki smiled and looked at Key who didn’t notice.

“I don’t think it’s a game, but… okay. I’ve been meaning to use my guns sometime soon anyways. Test out my mad skills.” He playfully shoved Jonghyun’s arm, making his head lose balance. He scoffed.

“Pfft, please, like you even know anything about mad skills. I remember last time we played, I whooped all your guys’ asses.” He rolled his eyes while Jinki’s face fell at the memory of the game from a few weeks before.

“I think I still have the bruise on my back. Minho you need better gear.” Jinki grimaced, poking around behind his back to see if he can find the spot he got hit especially hard with a bullet.

Key had no idea what the boys were chatting about. He knew what guns were, but they were talking so fast, with words unknown to him, and he couldn’t comprehend much. So, he just kept on staring blankly ahead, “eavesdropping” on their conversation as he fumbled with his long slender fingers.

“We had enough gear hyung. You’re just weak.” He smirked obviously.

“Am not!” Jinki pushed forward and was about to get up to punch Minho, but then,

“Uh-oh, you guys.” Jonghyun’s voice turned stern and serious, catching not just Key’s but the other two playful boys’ attentions. He discreetly pointed behind Minho and Key and Jinki proceeded to look, only to choke on his spit.

“.” The tall boy beside Key cursed under his breath and Key turned to him, studying his annoyed expression. Soon after, he looked back as well.

A tall, young, skinny, pretty girl with long jet-black hair was strutting her way into his direction. Every boy in the cafeteria were swooning with desperate eyes as she passed by, flipping her straight silky locks over her shoulder. He liked her clothes; they reminded him of Noona. She smiled sweetly to her fellow classmates and paused, bending down to pick up a dropped book for a short girl in glasses. Key thought she was sweet.

“Oppa-deul! Ahnyeong!” She sat down smiling, patting the back of her shorts as she did, and waved happily at the four “totally stoked” boys. Strange thing is, she only looked in Key’s direction, which made his cheeks bloom in color and warmth as he motioned to look away. He found Jinki avoiding eye contact as well, greeting the table, and Jonghyun puffing out steam aggravatingly. Minho had his narrowed eyes fixed on the girl with his arms crossed and Key’s eyebrow shot up at their sudden changed behaviors.

“You’re Kibum oppa right?” Key shot his head back to the mysterious pretty girl and nodded, not really minding that she called him by his full name, more like uninterested.

She giggled lightly, making her eyes fade away, and Kibum immediately got drawn to her every move. She held out a hand to him, “I’m Krystal Jung, president of the student body, always have been. And you’re Kim Kibum, Minho’s brother?” Kibum shook hands, wondering how she knew him and how smart she must be for being a president.

“Don’t. Key. She’s a little devil.” Jonghyun snarled and Krystal rolled her eyes, releasing her grip on Key’s hand.

“Of course you would know oppa.” She retaliated and much to Key’s amusement, he blushed and looked away grumbling.

“Uh, h-hi K-Krystal. How was your summer?” Jinki forced a smile onto his face.

“It was great! Thanks for asking oppa!” She tucked a piece of hair behind her left ear and Jinki nodded carefully.

“What do you want Krystal. And shouldn’t you be on your side of the school where Taemin is?” Minho spoke in a voice much deeper than normally, which surprised Key. He continued to glare holes into the girl’s barely powdered face, but it didn’t affect her bright smile one bit. So she’s in middle school too?

“Yeah, but Boa sunsaengnim wants me to help Kibum around, since I’m the president and all.” She looked back at Key curiously.

“Or you just excused yourself to mess with the poor kid.” Jonghyun mumbled again and Jinki elbowed him as if he said nothing, but Jonghyun winced in pain, making it more obvious.

“Kibum-oppa—”

“His name’s Key for crissake.” Minho spat out.

“It’s fine.” Key replied and Minho’s face twisted at the fact that he was starting to get pulled into her trap. Krystal smirked at this, but Key only thought she was smiling.

“I was wondering, if I could show you around after school? I know more about this place than these lose—I mean, these guys do.” She clasped her hands together, waiting and totally having forgotten about the other three. Jonghyun growled.

He thought it over, even though there wasn’t much to think about in his position. Before he could nod yes, Minho spoke for him. “We’re kind of busy after school today. Got places to go, things to do.” Jinki nodded in approval.

“What, like go home and play with your Barbies?” She fake smiled at him and motioned to swat them away with her hand.

“Alright, this is asking for it.” Jonghyun slammed his hands on the table and shot up on his feet, startling Key, and he reached out for Krystal to lash out on. Jinki held him back, barely, and Minho kept staring at her who stared at Jonghyun, not amused. “Let me go! Sonuva—”

“S-sure.” Key answered hesitantly, he figured she’d be a good friend. Plus, he’d do anything to get away from Minho’s concerning looks, Jonghyun’s free attitude, Jinki’s overly giddy smiles, and Taemin’s to-be cuteness overload.

Jonghyun froze and Krystal clapped delightedly. “Great! I’ll meet you at the front once school’s over.” As if on cue, the bell rang, signaling that lunch was over and students should return to their next classes, which they did. “I’ll see you later oppa!” She got up moved closer to Key who was much too oblivious. She held his chin and pecked him on the cheek lightly, but he froze on the spot, eyes turning almost as wide as Minho’s and all boys looked in their direction with jealousy. Jonghyun mumbled something angrily, Jinki choked on his spit again, and even Minho’s pose faltered. He was now gaping at the brunette, who was gaping at Krystal, who now strutted away while wiggling her fingers at Key, smiling devilishly. She got him.

 

 

“Are you stupid? I think you are.” Minho was, once again, his seat partner since Victoria got them to be put that way for each of their classes, which were also the same. He kept going on and on about how he shouldn’t fall into Krystal’s “trap” or whatever. Honestly, it was getting on Key’s nerves. There was nothing wrong with her; she seemed nice, in his point of view anyways. It was art class and Mrs. Hwang gave them their first assignment of free painting, which Key would’ve enjoyed if not for Minho’s constant negativity.

“Can you shut it already?! God Minho, there’s nothing wrong with her, or me! You don’t know anything!” Key flung his brush at Minho and bright green paint splattered all over his white shirt and already dirtied apron. He didn’t feel one drop of guilt for dirtying his clothes.

“I think I know more than you.” He didn’t seem to notice the paint, but his eyes unexpectedly turned soft and he had on a worried face, which confused Key.

“Then tell me why. What’s so bad about her?” He turned back to his easel and added more of colorful paint, creating the unknown.

“She may seem sweet and cute on the outside, when you first get to know her, but that’s all a fraud. She does that to get at and play with every new kid that comes here. And by kid, I mean stupid oblivious guys, like you.” He wasn’t trying to insult anyone, especially not Key, maybe Krystal though. He was only informing him of the things he’s about to get himself involved with, he knows. Minho felt the strange need to protect Key, ever since that night before he seemed so… weak.

“And you know this because…”

“I’ve been through it. Every guy has. Jjong, Onew, even Taemin. She’s like, designed to play the game. And based on her looks and “personality,”” he made little quotes with his fingers, “you can’t help but fall into it all. Thank God she gives up after a damn kiss.”

Key paused at this. She went through all of them? Kiss? He couldn’t figure out whom to believe. “Well I’m not going to fall into it, whatever it is. She’s nice and she’s giving me a tour of the school, so that’s that.” The conversation ended abruptly and Minho could only do but stare helplessly at Key.

 

 

~Flashback~

“Why’d we have to move,” Minho talked to himself, hidden under his arms on the cold cafeteria table. No one talked to him or approached him and he wanted it to stay that way. He just came to this prestigious school after unloading all their old and new furniture. He was tired and missed his friends back home. He jumped in his seat when something tapped him on his right shoulder gently.

“What the.”

A cute little girl greeted him and she smiled, waving. “Hi, you’re new here right?” Minho made no move. “I’m Krystal.” She held out a hand and he took it. Her hands were soft and warm. And she was pretty cute.

“Minho.” He stared at carefully, wondering why a little kid like her was talking to him. “How old are you?”

“Eleven, I’m three years younger than you.” She smiled brighter, if it was possible. How’d she know how old…

“Oh. Then why are you…” He raised an eyebrow.

“I have no friends.” Her face fell and she looked like she was about to cry. Minho, being one who’s weak when it comes to girls, began to panic.

“Why don’t you sit with me then?” He shouted out on impulse, but thankfully the smile returned. A little too quickly actually…

“Okay!” She walked over to his side and pulled up into the seat beside him, scooting it a little too close for comfort. “Oppa, can you be my friend?” She played with her little fingers.

“Why not?” He smiled, ruffling her hair a little. She probably wouldn’t remember him later anyways.

  

Days, weeks passed by, as they became closer and closer to each other. Minho always anticipated what their next adventure would be, what the next fascinating story of Krystal’s day would be. He grew fond of her too much, too fast. Her smiles are what charged him up every day.

“Oppa!” Krystal ran up to Minho and hugged him around his waist from the back. A smile slowly crept on his face.

He turned her around and studied her pretty face, “How you doing kiddo?” He took off her beanie and ruffled her hair, which grew longer, just like the first day they met.

“I’m not a kiddo.” She ducked out of his reach and pouted, reaching for her hat, much to his amusement.

“I’m pretty sure you are.” Minho laughed.

“Yeah whatever.” She rolled her eyes from under her thick scarf and walked ahead of him, huddling into her arms for whatever warmth she could obtain. It looked funny to Minho who stood and watched behind her, considering she was probably wearing about five layers of thick clothing. She wobbled around in the snow like a little child and he smiled to himself. Then, an idea popped into his mind. You’d think he was crazy for it, and he was.

“Krystal?” He began to approach her.

“Hmm?” She turned around, face covered with the layers of clothing and scarves.

He lifted her head a little and bent forward, planting a soft kiss on her forehead. He stepped back quickly, but stayed staring at her face up close. Both their cheeks turned a bright pink and he saw her begin to smile, but really, she was smirking. “Oppa…”

“Krystal?”

She jerked around out of his hold and Minho looked forward as well, arms falling cold and limp.

Two guys around his age stopped in their tracks, looking sideways at Krystal. One was a short brunette with a distinct voice and distinct bone and muscle structure. The other was a bit taller with long sandy brown hair covering his eyes, cute chubby cheeks and his smiles sent his eyes disappearing.

“Ah! Jonghyun oppa!” She smiled just as bright, if not brighter than she had a couple minutes ago and ran into the short guys’ arms, which took her in gladly.

“Who’s your friend?” The Jonghyun guy gazed up at Minho with wonder, looking just as confused as he was.

Minho expected Krystal to say that they were really close friends. “I don’t know. He just came up to me and kissed me.” She turned around looking at Minho with a disapproving look on her face.

“What?” Jonghyun’s eyes flitted between Minho and what he thought to be his sweet little girl.

“Whatever, let’s go oppa.” She dragged both boys away from the area. “Oh hi Jinki oppa!” She smiled again and the boy returned the favor.

And that was the last he’s ever hung out with Krystal Jung.

~End of Flashback~

  

 

“Key…”

School just ended and Key was collecting his things in his bag, slinging in over his shoulder. Minho tried holding onto his arm, but he would shake it off and walk towards the school’s entrance where Krystal said she’s meet him. Sure enough, she was there greeting her sunbaes, both glazy eyed boys and fiery eyed girls. She was hugging her books to her chest as she caught sight of Key.

“Oppa!” She hurried over to where he was, Minho trailing not far behind. “You ready?”

Key just grabbed her wrist, dragging her anywhere as long as they could avoid Minho. “Oppa! Ow!”

They climbed up the stairs to the third floor, the top floor, and Key stopped, turning to face Krystal. She was rubbing her previously held wrist with the other hand and she had on a pained expression. “Sorry. I just,”

“Minho?” She set her books on the floor for a moment, shaking the weight off her arms.

“Yeah.” He looked around. He hasn’t been to the third floor yet.

“Well, he’s being too insecure, although I don’t know why he should be. You’re a few months older aren’t you?” She stuffed her books into her bag and slung it back on, carrying more than how much it looks like she can manage to.

“Yeah… Wait, how do you know so much—”

♪Hysteric, Hysteric Molla Molla Naneun Jeongmal Molla~

“Hold on a sec.” She lifted her index finger to Key and dug in her bag, pulling out a shiny black phone. Technology’s sure changed.

She took a glimpse at the screen and answered the call. “Appa? Yeah it’s me.” Pause. “Right now?” She paused again, listening to the other end and her eyebrows creased together in some kind of frustration. “But appa! I’m busy right now!” Key didn’t know what to think of that. “It’s the first day of school! Can’t I just—” Pause again. “OH MY GOD, FINE LINK.” Key jumped at her yelling and she hung up harshly, puffing out deep breaths. She straightened out the creases in her shorts and closed her eyes just to open them again. “Sorry Kibum-oppa, I have to go right now. My dad wants me with something.” She seemed fairly upset about that. “Can we do this tomorrow?” She took hold of the straps of her backpack on the sided of her ribs and she had an expectant look on her face.

“That’s fine. Family’s always important.” He cringed at his statement, but fortunately Krystal didn’t notice. She smiled and started heading downstairs.

“Thanks for understanding oppa! I promise tomorrow!” She waved until he couldn’t spot her going down anymore.

Key sighed and headed down himself, only to realize that now he had no choice but to go home. He stopped on the first floor, only to find that the halls were completely empty. Oh no. Minho. Where’s his house at again?

He was about to start hyperventilating when a voice called out by the front door, “Done already?”

He looked to his left and found none other than his brother Choi Minho leaning on the wall beside the doors. He couldn’t tell if he was angry with him or not judging by the poker face he had on as usual, but it didn’t really matter to Key. He was just happy he was saved. He walked out to the field past Minho and shuffled towards the main gate with Minho trailing beside him, easily keeping in step with the other.

“Yah Choi Minho! What the heck man?” Key heard Jonghyun in the distance and he could imagine Jinki smiling that smile he always had on.

“Don’t look at me.” Key looked over to Minho who he found cracking a rare smile at him. He looked away and continued to walk to who-knows-where. “Hey it’s this way to home.” Minho stuck his thumb in the opposite direction of where Key was heading and he switched courses to the taller boy’s navigation, shoving his hands in his jean pockets. The three boys followed his footsteps, making sure he didn’t trail off towards the unknown.

“So why’d you get stuck up?” Jonghyun asked.

“Huh?”

“Why’d Krystal leave you?”

“Dad needed her I guess.” Key mumbled into his shirt collar, lifting it up to cover his mouth.

“Hyunseung?” Minho spoke out.

Key turned around to face him, “Is that her dad?”

“Yeah, she mentioned him before.” Not only Minho, but also Jonghyun and Jinki looked away in embarrassment, knowing exactly what he was referring to when he said “before.”

“Oh.” He turned back around and started walking again, thinking about nothing in particular.

“I wonder what Link’s like if his daughter’s that screwed up.” Jinki wondered to himself quietly. Jonghyun and Minho snorted, but Key wasn’t paying attention…

~

Sorry for the late update again >__< And thanks SO MUCH to all my new subscribers and readers. It how Word makes everything look long. GOSH DARN FINALS. oy. Sorry if this update disappoints ;~; i'll try my hardest! hehe. KRYSTAL JUNG KSJBCGYGFAHBCOSPDEWQ. Link's gonna reappear into Key's life, oh daaaang. Comments, criticism, expectations,a nd requests are always welcome! ^^ They mean the world to me!