A Special Birthday

Spending A Birthday With A Stranger

 

“Mianhaeyo, Yonggukie hyung.” The dongsaengs gave the leader a sorry look. “Tomorrow’s weekend. We’ll be going back to hometown to visit our parents tonight….” 4 blonde heads lowered even more in guilt.  

 

“We really wanted to stay for Hyung’s birthday… but…” Zelo bit his lips. He missed his umma and appa even more.

 

Yongguk let out a sigh. He knew that all his dongsaengs were missing home much, especially when they had no chance to go back due to the hectic schedules.

 

Since ‘Secret Love’ promotions have ended, their company finally gave them permission to spend this weekend with their own time. And of course the members would want to spend time with their family.

 

“Araso.” Yongguk pulled a smile. “Hyung can celebrate the birthday with his friends.” He held out his hand and ruffled Zelo’s hair. “Now, faster go.” He hurried the younger members out of the dorm.

 

With backpacks on, his dongsaengs slowly head out of the house with their manager, leaving the 2 oldest members in the dorm.

 

 

Yongguk gave Himchan a look. “You’re not going back?”

 

 

Himchan shook his head. “I can always see my parents if I want. Moreover, it’s our Bang leader’s birthday tomorrow. How can I leave you alone?” He did a wink and grinned widely.

 

Yongguk rolled his eyes, but his lips tugged into a small smile. “So what plans do you have for me tomorrow?” He asked his best friend.

 

“Curious?” Himchan’s eyes twinkled. “It’ll be a surprise.”

 

Yongguk raised an eyebrow. “Well, it better not be disappointing.”

 

***

 

Next day, Yongguk woke up early. He did a stretch and smiled widely to himself. It was finally his 23rd birthday. Checking his twitter, he was surprised to see so many birthday wishes from his fans. Even his dongsaengs had tweeted him a happy birthday despite they were away.

 

 

After staying on the bed for a while, he stepped towards the bathroom, only to the door locked. A groan answered from inside. Yongguk furrowed his eyebrows and knocked on the door lightly. “Himchan? Are you in there?”

 

“Y-Yongguk?” Himchan answered weakly. “My stomach hurts really badly. Ahhh.”

 

Yongguk went worried. “What happened?”

 

“I think something must be wrong with the soondae I ate yesterday.” The ulzzang confessed.

 

Yongguk frowned. “When did you eat soondae?”

 

“I-I. Argh..” Himchan let out a grunt. “I ate it on my way home after practice yesterday.”

 

“Tsk.” Yongguk let out a snort. “So this explains why you were so late when you reached the dorm yesterday.”

 

“M-Mianhaeyo. I-I think I can’t spend your birthday with you today…” Himchan said weakly.

 

Yongguk felt a pang of disappointment when he heard Himchan, but understood that he could not blame . “Mmm…” He pulled a face and wanted to walk away when the ulzzang called him back again. “Y-Yongguk.”

 

Yongguk turned back and faced the door. “What?”

 

“C-Can you help me call manager hyung to take me to the hospital?” The latter spoke.

 

“Araso.” Yongguk sighed again.

 

 

***

 

 

After sending Himchan into the hospital, Yongguk realized he had nowhere to go. He had already made plans to spend the whole day with Himchan. *Should I visit my parents?* He thought about his parents who were working at this hour.

 

He rubbed his neck and stared at his phone blankly. With a frustrated sigh, he put his phone back into his pocket. *Appa and umma were probably too busy. I should not disturb them.*

 

Feeling lost, Yongguk decided to go and have a walk alone. Wearing a cap and a thick scarf accompanied with a huge nerdy spectacle, no one noticed the B.A.P leader under his disguise.

 

In the end, Yongguk spent an hour roaming in the streets all by himself. He listened to his music and stared at the people around him. Suddenly, he felt lonely all of a sudden. *How I wished someone would spend my birthday with me.*

 

Just then, as if to make things worse, there was a sudden downpour. People, without umbrellas, started scurrying at all directions, in hope of seeking shelters over their head.

 

*Oh , I forgot to bring an umbrella* The leader suddenly remembered. With a hand over his head Yongguk quickly ran under the rain, towards a small shelter that was at a corner of a road.

 

 

“, I’m all wet.” The leader cursed with a slightly panicked expression when he felt himself all sticky. He took his wet cap off his head and ruffled his wet blonde hair.

 

Out of a sudden, he felt a gaze from beside him. He slowly turned his head towards the gaze and saw you staring at him. His face immediately went red. *Oh gawd... She saw me….*

 

 

You blinked at him curiously. *Where have I seen him before? He looked kind of familiar….*

 

Feeling uncomfortable under your staring, Yongguk quickly whipped his face towards another direction. He tried to distract his attention by looking at the raindrops falling.

 

A cold gust of wind blew towards both of you. Yongguk shivered when he felt a chill spreading to his body through his soaking wet clothes. “Ah-Choo!” He sneezed.

 

You frowned and stared at his wet hair. *He will catch a cold if he never wipe himself dry.* Immediately, you put your hand into your bag and dug out a handkerchief. You tapped on his shoulder.

 

Yongguk spun around, startled by your touch. His eyes were wide-opened, as if you just scared him. You blushed in embarrassment. “H-Here… Please use this and wipe yourself.” You mumbled.

Yongguk blinked and looked down at the handkerchief in your hand. His expression slowly relaxed. “T-Thank you.”

 

With a shy smile, he took your handkerchief and started wiping himself. Your cheeks burned automatically.

 

You then avoided looking at him and stared at the ground.

 

The rain continued endlessly and an awkward silence continued.

 

Yongguk bit his lips. He felt the urge to start a conversation with you since the rain would not stop any time sooner. However, he was not a person who could converse with stranger easily.

 

With an awkward smile on his face, he started talking. “T-The rain looked heavy, isn’t it?”

 

You lowered your head. “Ye… But it’s alright anyway…” Your voice trailed off.

 

Yongguk frowned. He was taken aback by your response. “Waeyo? Don’t you need to go somewhere?”

 

You forced a smile. “No… I had no work today.”

 

“Oh.” Yongguk understood your feeling almost instantly. He had been feeling the same thing the whole day. Alone and without anything to do.

 

 

Out of a sudden, he had this idea that maybe, he could talk to you. He wanted to share his trouble with someone too. *She doesn’t seem like she know me anyway.*

 

“You know…” Yongguk tried to sound casual. “It’s my birthday today.”

 

Your eyes widened. You did not know why he said that to you. “Oh, I see. H-Happy Birthday.” You said softly.

 

Yongguk smiled. “Thank you. You are the first girl who wished me a happy birthday personally today.”

 

You grew crimson. “K-Keurae? But where are your friends?”

 

“My friends?” Yongguk thought with a sad smile. “They all had something on. Except me.”

 

You nodded in understanding. The feeling of loneliness was the most familiar to you. Being an orphan with no friends, you had always spent your birthday alone. You forced a smile at the blonde stranger. “Gwaenchana. I believed they wanted to be by your side on this day too.” You comforted.

Just then, your eyes widened. “Oh!”  You let out a gasp.

 

“Wae?” Yongguk heard your gasp and saw you held up your plastic bag beside you. You smiled widely at him.

 

Yongguk stared at your smile, momentarily lost because he had not seen you smile during this whole time. *She looked cute.* He thought. Sensing his thoughts, he quickly snapped out of it and looked at the plastic bag you were holding. “What is that?”

 

“It was supposed to be my breakfast for tomorrow.” You shyly replied. “But we can eat it now.”

 

Yongguk blinked. “Huh?”

 

“It’s just a normal sponge cake.” You said. “Although I don’t have a birthday cake for you now, but this will make do. Are you ok with it?”

 

“I-I…” Yongguk stared at you blankly. He did not know how to react now. He felt his heart turning warm despite of the cold weather. *E-Even though she did not know who I am, even though we were strangers… She wished me a happy birthday and shared her cake with me?* With a dumb face, he nodded.

 

Your smile widened, happy that he accepted your idea. You placed the sponge cake on his hand. “Since I have no candles… Let’s just pretend there is one there.” You suggested. “Ok?”

 

Yongguk heard your weird suggestion and he chuckled. *She’s funny.* “Ok.” He agreed.

 

You then pretended to light up a fake candle on top of the sponge cake and started singing a birthday song for him. “Saengil chukkahamnida, Saengil chukkahamnida, Saranghaneul-.” You paused and stared at him. “What’s your name?” You realized you did not know his name yet.

 

“Yongguk.” He answered honestly.

 

“Oh.” You smiled and continued. “Saranghaneul Yongguk-ssi, Saengil chukkahamnida.” You ended and gave him a look. “Make a wish and blow the candle.”

 

 

He nodded and closed his eyes. After making a wish, he blew the ‘imaginary candle’ and beamed.

 

“Happy birthday, Yongguk-ssi.” You said and pointed the cake. “You can eat the cake now.”

 

Yongguk grinned and tore the cake into 2. He gave one piece to you. You blinked at him, confused.

 

“Birthday cake should be shared, isn’t it?” He said while stuffing his into his mouth.

 

“Mm.” You nodded and took it. You bit down on the sponge cake and chewed slowly.

 

“Matshida (Yummy)!” Both of you commented on the same time and then gaped at each other.

 

“HAHAHAHA.” Yongguk was the first one to react and started laughing with his husky voice.

 

You giggled along, feeling that this was interesting. The way both of you were able to say the same thing at the same time.

 

“What’s your name?” He asked out a sudden.

 

~~~~.” You replied.

 

“Oh.” He grinned. “Really nice to spend my birthday with you today, ~~~~.”

 

You returned a smile.

 

Just then, both of you realized the rain has ended. The sun slowly came out from the dark clouds.

 

“Seems like the rain has ended.” You felt a bit disappointed.

 

Yongguk felt the same, but he knew that as a celebrity, he could not make friends with a stranger. “I gotta go now.” He spoke.

 

“Ah… I see.” You unwillingly smiled. A part of you was hoping that he would ask for your contact details but he did not. “Hope to see you again someday, Yongguk-ssi.”

 

Yongguk did a last nod at you before putting his cap on and rushing to the streets again.

 

You stared at him leaving. *Where have I seen him before…? Why did he look so familiar?* You still could not remember, but you knew you will never forget this incident.