On Rainy Days

[Oneshot] On Rainy Days

Junhyung’s POV:

   Six months ago…

   I pushed the door and waited for him to walk in, as usual. He stepped in like a queen king, but that was the him I knew well, so I just chuckled and followed him, closing the door behind my back. We got to our favorite table near the window. He chose to sit opposite to me, with his back facing the window. One of the waitresses came towards us and offered me the menu, but as soon as I look up from my phone, she beamed:

   “Will there be any changes today?”

   “No, we’ll just take the normal ones, thank you.” I remembered something and called her. “By the way, please make me one mug of hot chocolate. With a lot of whipping cream on it.”

    “Okay.” She nodded and walked away. I turned back. He blew on the window and began to draw on it. I tilted my head questioningly as he moved aside and showed me his work of art. It was a plain heart.

   “Nice one, babe,” I took his hand as he beamed happily, but his smile soon faded away. He looked out of the window and stared at those dark clouds near the horizon. “It’s going to rain any time soon.” He whispered. “Are you going to call her here or not?”

   I smiled and began to finish the text to ~~~~~~.

 

To: ~~~~~~

Hey, come here quickly. Some hot, creamy chocolate is waiting for you. My treat. Be quick before the rain come, you know how moody he will be later.

 

   A few minuter later, a figure dashed into the café and sat down next to Hyunseung. It was ~~~~~~. She was still holding her pink phone and her face was red. The hot chocolate on my treat must have attracted her a lot. She greeted Hyunseung cheerfully and rested her chin on her hands while watching with a curious but rather annoying attitude. The waitress came back with our order. Hyunseung smiled at her and thanked for his cappuccino, as I nodded thankfully when she placed my iced Coke in front of me. ~~~~~~’s eyes glowed pleasingly when she saw her mug.

   “Ah!!! Hot chocolate with a lot of whipping cream!” She shrieked happily and took a sip of it. With the cream on her upper lip forming a funny moustache, she got to my side of the table and gave me a bear hug. “Junhyung Junhyung Junhyung Junhyung I love you! You are the best of the best!”

   I smirked and patted her back. She let go of me and turned around to offer Hyunseung another bear hug. He accepted it happily, unlike the way he frowned unhappily when I do such thing to him. ~~~~~~ spotted the annoyed frown on my face and made a face at me:

   “Jealous, Yong Junhyung?”

   “Now you are trying to steal my lover.” I took a sip of Coke and glared at her. “While last year around this time you were still like ‘Junhyung what have I done wrong? Why did you refuse me?’” I began to mimic her expression and tried to make it a little more stupid. She shrieked and pouted her lips as Hyunseung let out a small laughter. We enjoyed our drinks and the atmosphere while ~~~~~~~ continued with writing her article. She was always like that, a busy girl with a happy-go-lucky attitude. Hyunseung finished his coffee and stared at me dreamily. I noticed some coffee on his lips and told him so. He chuckled and shook his head. 

   “What now? You want me to clean it for you?” I raised my eyebrows at him. “Nuh uh, sir, that ain’t gonna happen. I’m so not gonna kiss you in front of the public.”

   He pouted and turned away. I smirked and pull him close and gave him a kiss.

   “But I’m so gonna kiss you in front of ~~~~~~. Jelly, girl?”

   “Nope.” Her voice came behind the camera. “Actually, I’ve got it all under control.” She smirked and showed me a photo of me kissing Hyunseung. “This is so gonna be on the university’s paper this Friday.”

   “Don’t you dare…” I growled and sat down. She turned her head around and gaped at something outside of the window. I ignored her and stared my perfect Jang Hyunseung, feeling happy that he was mine and belonged to no one else. Well, except for his parents. But that just doesn’t count. Our annoying best bud poked Hyunseung with her elbow and began to shriek while pointing outside of the window.

   “Hyunseung! Look! Look look look look look!”

   I grumbled but Hyunseung turned around with a smile on his lips. He was so gorgeous. Gorgeous. Then everything fell into silence as he joined ~~~~~~ with staring out of the window. I took a look outside, wondering why they were so concentrated. But then, I froze too. It was raining… next to us. The sky magically divided into two halves, ours was still gloomy while the other was raining cats and dogs.

   What. The. Hell.

   ~~~~~~ turned back to me and smiled. “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?”  

   Hyunseung and I nodded in agreement. We watched the rain until Hyunseung turned back and looked at me. “Wassup, babe?” I raised my eyebrows questioningly.

   “Junhyung, I’m sorry...” He looked down and rubbed his hands together in silence. I was totally bewildered by his sudden change of mood, even though that I know he will be like that everytime it rains. “What are you sorrying for?” I asked him. Sensing that something was wrong, ~~~~~~~ also turned back and looked at Hyunseung.

   “I’m leaving.” He stood up and ~~~~~~ moved aside as he got out of his seat. I gave ~~~~~~~ my wallet and followed him. “I’ll get you home.” I said. Hyunseung turned back, a ghost of a sad smile flashed through his lips. “No, Junhyung, I mean… I’m leaving this… I’m leaving you.”

   The was that?

   “Are you ing breaking up with me?” I pointed at myself in total shock. Hyunseung nodded weakly. “But why?” I gasped, thinking that he was playing a trick on me. But his face was cold. He wasn’t kidding.

   “You don’t have to know. I’m sorry anyway.” He said and walked out, heading to the raining half of the sky and disappeared. ~~~~~~ got next to me and patted my back gently. She heard everything. I felt so pathetic to be left without knowing the reason why. My heart puckered with anger, shock, sadness and many different feelings that I couldn’t name. I pushed ~~~~~~ away and got out of the café chasing after Hyunseung. She called my name weakly, but I ignored her. I needed to know why he was leaving me. At least he should’ve told me that bastard’s name so that I could punch him in the face before finding another person for me. Being soaked in the rain, I desperately called Hyunseung, ignoring people’s eyes on me. But he was gone. Then the rain stopped. No, it was still raining, but it wasn’t raining on me.

   “Hyunseung?” I whispered weakly and turned around hoping to see him. But it was ~~~~~~.  She handed me my wallet as she smiled sadly. “I’m really sorry.”  She gave me a bear hug, and soon after that I realized that I was crying for the first time. On my best bud’s shoulder. She closed here eyes and patted on my back. “There, there, don’t cry. He will be back to you. I promise.”

 

 

   Now, let’s go back to the present…

   I opened my eyes as the phone rang and snatched it as quickly as possible. Six months had passed since that day, but I was still hoping that Hyunseung will come back to me. He just disappeared ever since then. I went to his apartment, but found no one. I searched every university that he might transfer to just to find nothing. I waited for him at the places he loves, but he didn’t show up at all. But I was still growing a little hope inside my heart, just to keep it from withering away. But it was ~~~~~~, as usual.

 

From: ~~~~~~

Lift your lazy up and get ready. I’m coming to your house. We are going to have waffles.

 

   I chuckled and stood up from the bed. I still remember the promise that she made on that strange rainy day, and I knew that she was still trying to make it come true. But just like my efforts, hers became useless. And just like me, she was still trying. The sky was blue and clear, but to me it will always be the same – gloomy like it’s about to rain. I mean, will there be any difference?

Cause there’ll be no sunlight if I lose you, baby,

There’ll be no clear skies if I lose you, baby,

Just like the clouds, my eyes will do the same,

If you walk away, everyday it wil rain, rain, rain…

 

   I trudged to the bathroom and began to wash up. As I finished putting on my uniform, the door bell rang. I opened the door to see ~~~~~~ holding a bunch of bags on her hand, her fluffy hair was messep up in her unique way. She strided into the kitchen and set the table while whistling a happy melody. I sat down and ate my waffles as she rummaged through the fridge and pulled out a can of Coke. She poured into a glass and pushed it toward me. I mumbled thanks and took a sip from it. ~~~~~~ drank some milk from her packet and watched me eating with a curious attitude.

   “What?” I swallowed the waffle violently and raised my eyebrows.

   “Nothing.” She giggled. “I was just wondering how people will react if they see the famous Joker eating his breakfast like this.”

   I rolled my eyes and focused to eating. When I finished my breakfast, ~~~~~~ began her everyday cleaning. “I don’t even know why I decided to come to your house everyday and work my off for you while I have many other intereting stuff to do.” She mumbled while putting the dishes into the dishwasher. I chuckled, “Love is blind.”

   ~~~~~~ blushed and stood up. “Shut up and come here,” She said. “Your tie is loose.”

   I stood there like a statue and let my best friend fixed my tie, wondering how it would feel like if I let Hyunseung do it. Damn it. I thought about him again.  

   “There, all better.” She smiled and stepped back to take a good look at her work.

   “Let’s go.” I opened the door. She walked by and giggled happily. I followed her, locking the door carefully before leaving.

 

 

   “Hey, Junhyung…” She halted as we were on our way back home after class. “Would you like to come and see me this evening?”

   “No…” I mumbled and fell into silence. She frowned and looked at me. “Why?”

   “I don’t want to be there with those lovey-dovey couple.”

   “Now listen to me, Yong Junhyung, you ing !” She stopped on the middle of her track and pointed at my face. I was shocked, but still I ignored her. “Just because I promised you that Hyunseung will be back doesn’t mean that you will have to be that gloomy until then! A promise is a promise, Junhyung, but you still have your life to live! Where the hell is the Joker I use to love? Did you leave your old attitude at a ing garbage dump and brought this bull Yong Junhyung back? You are so pathetic, Junhyung. Mind your own bussiness before wanting Hyunseung back! Now I realized why he left you; you stupid, selfish, pathetic los…” She fell silent with her eyes widened in terror. She pressed her hand against the red mark I left on her face while clenching the other hand into a tight fist.

   “Shut the up, Kwon ~~~~~~~.” I glared at her warningly. “You don’t ing now how I feel. You didn’t ing keep your promise and now you use your fancy fast-talking to distract me. Don’t expect me to show up in that bull work place of yours, because I won’t.”

   “Fine.” She stormed away angrily and disappeared into a corner.

   Women.

 

Your POV:

   I couldn’t believe Junhyung did such things to me. I couldn’t believe he was the one I love. I couldn’t believe he changed that much after half a year. The cold but friendly, clumsy swagger Junhyung seemed to disappear, way to soon before I could realize it. At that moment, I felt like I would never be able to believe anything else in this whole wide world. Kicking a small rock out of my way angrily, I turned around a corner and began walking towards a house that I’ve been familiar to those days. I pushed the gate and went inside. An old maid greeted me and told me that the person I needed to see was upstairs. I nodded at her and walked up the cold, distant stairs. He was standing there, looking at the clear sky. A gentle smile appeared on his lips as he saw me.

   “I’ve got something for you.” I put my backpack down and pulled a paper bag out from it. I watched Hyunseung as he opened the bag excitedly and took my home-made woolen hat out. He put it on excitedly and spun around in front of the mirror.

   “Do I look good on this?” He asked with his fingers pointed on the pink hat on his head. “I think I look like G-Dragon.”

   “You are prettier.” I giggled as the maid opened the door.

   “Master Jang, it’s time to have your medicine.” She said.

   “Yes, please just leave it there for me.” He smiled and replied. The maid bowed at him respectfully as she left, and I stood up to bring the tray to him. He nodded at me and began to take the pills slowly. I felt like he was drinking a whole mountain of medicine. There must be at least twenty of them. Hyunseung didn’t look so happy drinking those, and it hurt me to see my best friend being that condition. I looked at him as he finished the last pills, and then halted:

   “Does it hurt that badly? Can I do anything for you?”

   “I’m fine, ~~~~~~-ah, I’m fine.” He smiled and pushed the tray away and got next to me, facing the window. “But sometimes it does hurt. I’m kinda jealous of you, because you can be next to him everyday. You know, you are taking my spot in his heart.”

   I smiled sadly and shook my head. “I wish I could. He still loves you, Seungie ah, and now, he loves you more than ever. He is still looking out for you. All he ever wanted is you. It will always be you. I guess I’ll be Miss. Forever Alone for the rest of my life chasing him if you don’t come back. So please come back. We all miss you, Hyunseung. Promise me you’ll be back.”

   “I promise.” He smiled and hooked his pinky around mine. I laughed and he did, too. It was quite a long time seeing him like that. My phone vibrated and I took it out. It was a message from my manager.

From: Manager-nim

~~~~~~, please come early. One of our customers is throwing a farewell party tonight, and he wants our band to play.

 

   “Oh dear, I’m afraid I’ve gotta leave.” I said and stood up. “Tomorrow is Saturday, right? I’ll bring you some kimbap.”

   “Why are you working so hard, ~~~~~~~?” He asked worriedly and frowned.

   “I’m saving money for your wedding.” I laughed and walked towards the door. Hyunseung sat there and waved at me. “I look forward to see your wedding gift.”

   “Hwaiting, future bride!” I gave him a V-sign and left his house.

 

 

   ♫

 

   I cried my whole way home. I admire Hyunseung a lot. I admire his ability to smile in any circumstances. I admire his optimist thinking. I admire his way of standing up and face the world right at the moment he has lost his everything. And I, his best friend, was the one that stood there and observed his last steps without doing anything.

   I knew what went wrong with Hyunseung. I knew why he broke up with Junhyung and I promised the latter to bring him back, but I knew I lied. He will go somewhere soon, and he won’t ever come back. I was standing in a ing dilemma. I don’t know whether to break my promise with Hyunseung or to let Junhyung’s only hope fade away. I hated my ing life. I hated everything I saw. I didn’t even know how I managed to get to work in a decent outfit. But I did, so it wasn’t a big problem.

 Now
I erased all of you
I emptied out all of you
But when the rain falls again
All the memories of you I hid with effort
It all comes back, it must be looking for you

 

 

   The party turned out to be fine, although it was a farewell party. We sang a few songs and played a few instrumental, and I was sitting in total boredom as people began eating and chatting. One of the people in the party came up and requested a song. I chuckled at the ironic title of the song: On Rainy Days. My bandmates took a few minute to set up their instrument as my fellow singer, Yoseob, saw my upset face and began to goof around to make me feel better. I laughed a bit and thanked him for his efforts before going to the stage. Yoseob started the first verse and I just stood there swinging to the music. That was when I noticed someone sitting on the bar staring at his drink.

   It was Junhyung. And his drink wasn’t Coke. He was drinking alcohol.

   What is the ing problem with him?

I must be drunk, I think I need to stop drinking
Since the rain is falling, I think I might fall as well
Well this doesn't mean that I miss you, no it doesn't mean that
It just means that the time we had together was a bit sharp
When it's the type of day that you really liked
I keep opening the raw memories of you
Making the excuse that it's all memories, I take a step forward
I don't even make the effort to escape

 

   I realized it was my turn to sing, and I did. And even more ironic, I found the lyrics completely matching with my favorite couple’s situation. I managed to sing the song without bursting with tears on the stage. Yoseob got close to me and pointed at the bar:

   “Your friend is down there, isn’t he?”

   “Well…” I scratched the back of my neck. Yoseob smiled and pushed my back.

   “Go down there and take him home.” He said. “I’ll call Kikwang here to help. Or maybe I’ll ask Dongwoon to sing. But to tell the truth, he .”

   “Hey!” The guitarist, Dongwoon, growled. I giggled and ran down to the bar, towards Junhyung. He looked up to see me and smiled.

   “I’m sorry for hitting you this afternoon. I was pissed off, you know. But I think I will manage to bear it. Don’t be mad at me.”

   “It was nothing. I shouldn’t have told you such thing, too.” I put his arm around my neck and lifted him up. The bartender looked at you. “Doojoon oppa, I’ll pay for it later, okay? Right now I need to get this drunk bastard home.”

   “It’s no big deal.” Doojoon smiled. “Hey, do you need me to call a cab?”

   “Yes, oppa. Thank you very much.”

 

 

   I magically managed to get Junhyung home without bumping his head anywhere. He threw himself on his bed and put his hand on his forehead. “Thanks for taking me home.”

   “Don’t thank me.” I walked out of the room. “Now go to sleep. I’ll take you somewhere tomorrow.”

   “Goodnight.” He said and waved at me.

   “Goodnight.” I turned off the lights. “Sweet dreams.”

 

Hyunseung’s POV:

   “Your friend is here, Master Jang.” The butler announced. “Shall I let her in?”

   “Yes, please.” I told him.

   As I heard footsteps on the stairs, I prepared a smiling face and turned to face the door. I couldn’t just be tired and desperate to see ~~~~~~. She was always happy and cheerful, and I didn’t want my gloomy attitude to upset her. I was going to die soon anyway. There’s no harm lying to please my best friend. She appeared in front of the door, looking confused. The way she greeted me was somehow awkward. I received her kimbap and raised my eyebrows:

   “You didn’t put anything into this, did you?”

   “No, of course not!” She said and squeezed out a forced smile.

   “Then what is happening to you?”

   “I just can’t take this anymore. I can’t lie to both of you.” She bit her lips and stood up. “I would like you to meet someone, Hyunseung. Just… don’t be pissed at me, okay? Please come in.”

   I heard heavy footsteps walking towards me, and they sounded familiar. Extremely familiar. I looked at ~~~~~~ questioningly, but she avoided every eye contact. As Junhyung appeared right in front of my door, I pinched myself secretly thinking that I was dreaming. He gaped at me as if I was a ghost. ~~~~~~ got next to the window and began to stare out there with her arms folded in front of her chest. Her lips were trembling, and I know that she only act that way went she wants to cry. I looked at my ex-lover and my friends in confusion. I didn’t know whether to run away from Junhyung or to fall into his arms. I didn’t know whether to comfort ~~~~~~ or to ignore her. Before I could make a proper decision, Junhyung pulled me into his arms. I leaned my head again his broad, wide chest; realizing how empty I felt after leaving him. He rested his chin on my shoulder clumsily and mumbled:

   “Why didn’t you tell me? You could just tell me instead of breaking up with me in that stupid way, Jang Hyunseung! Do you know how I felt when ~~~~~~ told me that you are still here? Do you know how I felt without you by my side? Do you think that it would be that heroic to hide your pain away from me and say ‘please leave me and don’t turn back’? Tell me, Seung!”

   “I know it…” I grabbed his arms. Tears were streaming down my face. “I know how you felt, because I felt it too, Junhyung. Please don’t leave me…”

   We both looked up as ~~~~~~ strided across the room. She put on her shoes without looking at us.

   “I forgot to buy you some soy sauce, so I’m leaving. Just eat plain rice first if you want to. I’ll be back later.” She let her words went out fast and left.

   “~~~~~~…” I called her name weakly, but ended leaning my head on Junhyung again.

   “I should apologize to her when she came back.” He mumbled. “I know how she felt seeing us like this, and this was mostly my fau…”

   “No, it was my fault.” I stopped him gently. “If I wasn’t born, maybe you two will be together.”

   “Don’t say such thing. You know I love you.”

   I pulled back from his hug and smiled at him happily.

   Why does everything become so blurry? Why am I so tired? What is going on? Junhyung… I’ve just reunited with him. And I haven’t say sorry to ~~~~~~ yet! Why is he screaming my name like that? I can’t die now! No! Please, God, just let me live for another five minutes! Let me feel his arms again! Let me, instead of ~~~~~~, give him my letter… Please!

   Darkness.

 

Your POV:

   It felt like the ground was crumbling underneath my feet as Junhyung embraced Hyunseung in his arms. If I tried to be more selfish, I could keep him to myself. I cursed my kind-heartedness for making me tell Junhyung the truth. I cursed my angelic self from not saving me from this situation – sitting alone on a bench crying my face off. Just then, the phone vibrated, and I picked up.

   “~~~~~~!” It was Junhyung’s voice. “Something… something went wrong… Hyunseung… he…”

   It took me only a thousand of a second to realize what was happening. I began to curse God for being so mean to me and my friends as I shouted back on the phone:

   “Calm down, Junhyung! Where are you now?”

   “XXX hospital!”

   I rushed out to the road and catched a cab. Holding my phone in my trembling hands, I hoped that nothing bad would happen.

 

 

   But it was too late…

   “I’m afraid that he’s fallen into a deep sleep.” The doctor announced as he looked into my eyes. “We don’t have any idea if he would wake up or not. We are not telling you that he’s dead, but I suggest you should prepare for the worse.”

   “Thank you, doctor.” I bowed at him.

   “He’s in there.” He pointed at the room. “You could come there and see him now.”

   Junhyung dashed in. I waited for a minute, then took a letter out of my backpack and followed him in.

 

 

   Junhyung was staring at Hyunseung. We always told him that he looks beautiful in his sleep, and he does. That angelic face could never be replaced by another inside my heart. I bit my lips in attempt to stop the tears from coming out and gave Junhyung the letter. I had been reading it for a thousand times before handing it to Junhyung, so the letter was in its worse condition. It looked like someone had just saved it from a severe battle. I read the words in my head slowly as Junhyung glided his eyes through the paper that was covered with Hyunseung’s dried tears. I remembered sitting there watching him wrote the letter. Tears were falling down from both of our eyes, but they were somehow different. Hyunseung's tears flowed from his eyes because he missed Junhyung. Tears fell down on my face because I was jealous of him. How could he have such a perfect boyfriend and then leave him so easily like that?

   Dear Junhyung,

   It’s me, Hyunseung. I haven’t seen you for quite a long time, huh? If you are reading this letter, ~~~~~~ must have told you everything before.     

   I wanted to say sorry for breaking up with you. I’m so sorry but I love you so bad, and I can’t allow myself to let you suffer from the same pain as mine.

   I have to leave you; that’s the way things ought to be. That’s the way we ought to be.

   I have to pay for what I’ve done, and you have to pay for what you’ve done.

   But I hope we will see each other some time later in our lives or in our next lives and live happily ever after. Hopefully it would be on a rainy day.

   P/S: I love you, forever and always. Take good care of ~~~~~~. She’s worth it.

                                                                                             Yours sincerely till the rest of time,

                                                                                                          Jang Hyunseung.

 

(To you) Now there is no path for me to return 
But looking at your happy face

 I will still try to laugh since I was the one
Without the strength to stop you

 

   A year after their break up…

   I and Junhyung were standing under the same umbrella outside of the airport. Don’t misunderstand me, we are just saying goodbye. I was heading to America to study my Master’s degree in Journalism. Junhyung patted on my shoulder.

   “So, I guess I’ll see you in another year, huh?”

   “Yeah…” I looked down at my feet. “I’ll look forward to your wedding, Junhyung. Remember to write to me, okay. And I mean every week.

   “Yes, madam.” He chuckled in his gorgeous way. I opened my mouth, but the loudspeaker urged the last passengers of my flight to get to the check-in booth as soon as possible. Junhyung gave me a quick kiss and I smiled at him.

   “I love you. I love you so much that only my love will be enough for the two of us.” I grabbed the handle of the cart. “I’ll be waiting for you. But you’ll be waiting for Hyunseung, so I’ll have to wait for him, too.”

   “We’ll be waiting for each other.” He smiled. “And sooner or later, we’ll get what we are expecting for…”

   I turned away and left.

   “… On a rainy day.” I mumbled the rest of the sentence to myself, ignoring the hot tears falling on my face for the thousandth time after the day Hyunseung broke up with his love, Junhyung.

 

On the rainy days you come and find me
Torturing me through the night
When the rain starts to stop, you follow
Slowly, little by little, you will stop as well

 

What can I do about something that already ended?
I'm just regretting after like the stupid fool I am
Rain always falls so it will repeat again 
When it stops, that's when I will stop as well

 

Author's words: Hey, it's me here. I hoped you enjoyed this. Just count it as something I made up to you while I'm on hiatus for the most of next week. The lyrics from this oneshot were taken from Bruno Mars' It Will Rain and B2ST's On Rainy Days. And back to the usual part, COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE if you like this! And please also vote on this poll, too :)