The Beginning of it All

For the Heart to Heal

AN: So here's the first chapter. I hope everyone enjoys it. For clarification this is someone talking in English "blah" and this is someone speaking in Korean "blah"

January 10, 2006

She stared blankly at the paper in front of her, not being able to believe this was happening. She didn't think she was good enough to be selected for this, but here she was listening to her professor congratulating her. Her professor continued to ramble on about what an opportunity this was, and how lucky that she got it, considering how young she was. He finally noticed the dazed look on her face, her instructor stopped, "Lily." She snapped her head up, blushing when she realized she had no idea what he said. "I'm sorry Professor Manheim, I'm just...wow, I really got the internship?" she asked as a smile spread across her face. Professor Manheim chuckled and nodded at his student. "Yes Lily, you really got it. You're one of my best students, and you should be really proud of yourself." Lily's smile widened. She did it. She was going to Korea and interning at one of its largest entertainment companies. "Now, you won't start until the 10th of July, but they want you there a month or two early so you can find an apartment and settle in. They also want you to shadow a bit first, before you really start into the internship. Furthermore, you are still to attend some university classes. This is one of the longer internships, so you'll be there for a minimum of a year, but you're on an accelerated track, so there's a chance you could graduate there instead of here. Are you ok with that?" Lily thought about it for a moment. Her mother had insisted she and her sibling be raised in a Korean household, so she wouldn't run into too many problems and she hadn't been to Seoul in years. However, she was really close to her family, and she hardly saw them as it was. Graduating in Korea meant that there was the chance her family wouldn't be there, especially since money had been really tight recently. "I'll have to think about where I'll graduate some more, Professor." "That's fine, just let me know when you've made a decision, so we can get everything set up. Congratulations again, Lily. You deserve it," Prefessor Manheim said with a smile. Lily nooded her head and gathered her things. "Thank you so much Professor Manheim!" "You welcome, Lily. Have a safe trip home, and good luck." Lily nodded and left his office. There was so much to do, and so little time to do it all. However, first she needed to tell the news to her mother.

_____

Lily arrived at her family's apartment nervous and excited. She knew her mother would be happy and proud of here, but she didn't know how her mother would be with her and her sister out of the house. She opened the door and took off her shoes. "Umma, I'm home," she called into the small apartment. It was only two bedrooms, so she shared a room with her younger brother, which wasn't always comfortable. "I'm in the kitchen Eun Mi," came her mother's reply. Lily walked into the kitchen and went to the sink to wash her hands before helping her mother make dinner. Amendolara Ae Sook had maintained her youthful looks over the years, and didn't look a day over 35. People often said mistook her mother for her older sister, often saying she was a spitting image of her with the exception of slightly darker skin. However, the dark circles under her dark brown eyes indicated just how tired she was. Raising three children on her own was difficult, but she had done an amazing job in Lily's opinion. Her black hair was pulled up in a neat bun, and she was wearing a simple apron over her white blouse and dress slacks. She hadn't gotten back from work too long ago, and Lily knew after dinner she would change and go to another job. "How was your day Eun Mi?" Lily took the vegetables on the counter and started cutting them, "Good, I got some really good news today." Ae Sook stopped cutting the beef in her hands and turned to her daughter. "What?" Lily stopped cutting and looked at her mother. "I got the internship st SME, umma. I'm going to Seoul!" Ae Sook smiled and hugged her daughter. "Oh Eun Mi, I knew you could do it." Lily hugged her mother back for a moment, then pushed back. "Thanks umma, but I can't help be worried about you and Jae Sun. What will you do with Kyung Mi and I gone?" Ae Sook gave a small smile to her daughter. "You shouldn't worry about it so much, Eun Mi. Jae Sun and I will be just fine." Lily frowned, her mother always said that. "Umma, you already work two jobs and money is still tight. I know you hate relying on people, and ever since papa..." "Eun Mi, please stop." Lily closed and lowered her head. She hadn't meant to make her mother upset. Ae Sook sighed, "You're right, and it's been something I've been thinking about for awhile. It's become to painful for me to live in the US anymore, and I'm worried about your brother. I've been thinking it's time to go home," Lily looked up at her mother, "you mean move back to Incheon?" Ae Sook nodded her head. Lily couldn't help but smile a bit. "That means we won't be too far apart. I could still see you Jae Sun as often as I could." Ae Sook smiled at her daughter before turning back to making dinner, "Now don't you dare make us a priority over your schooling, Eun Mi. You've worked too hard, and I won't allow your hard work to go to waste." Lily nooded her head as she continued cutting the vegetables, "Yes, umma." Ae Sook placed the beef in the skillet and the stove, "When do you need to be in Seoul?" Lily added the cut vegetables to the skillet and went to cook the rice. "Professor Manheim said I don't oficially start until July 10th, but they want me there a month or two before hand to settle in." Ae Sook nodded as she added some spices. "Well, I guess that means I need to turn in my two weeks notice and start job and apartment hunting in Incheon." Lily nooded and smiled at her mother. This was a new beginning for them all, and Lily couldn't wait to see what was in store for them all.

_____

May 13, 2006

She never thought she would be here, standing infront of SMEntertainment. She hadn't though she was good enough to be here, but she was happy all of her hard work had payed off. However, to say she was nervous was an understatement. What if she said the wrong thing? What if she upset one of the artists? She didn't even know who she would be working with. She took one final deep breath to calm her nerves, and walked towards her unknown future.

 

 

So, what do you think? No Super Junior in this chapter, but they will definatelly be in the next one. I'll try to up date as soon as possible. Thanks for reading!