13

Life , So Eat Ramyun

The next morning, Minyoung woke up on the floor right outside of Minhyuk’s room.  She remembered that she had been listening into Minhyuk’s conversation with Yukwon, but she didn’t know that she ended up sleeping on the ground.

“Minyoung-ah, why were you on the floor?” Minhyuk came out of the bathroom, his hair damp from showering.

She shrugged.  “Sleepwalking?”

“Hm.” He pointed in the direction of a sleeping Yukwon.  “Wake him up for me, will you?”

“Sure.” She walked into Minhyuk’s room casually.  Minhyuk’s room was very extravagantly decorated.  Everything was painted a black color—from the floor to the ceiling, and his bed was more like a futon.  Yukwon slept in a sleeping bag on the floor, and Minyoung couldn’t help but notice that there was another sleeping bag open next to Yukwon.  Minhyuk must’ve slept on the floor with him.

Posters of various girl groups and models lined the walls of Minhyuk’s bedroom.  His favorites ranged anywhere from Girls Generation to KARA.  Minhyuk had a whole collection of girl group CDs, proudly displayed next to his messy desk. 

“Kim Yukwon.” Minyoung gently nudged the boy with her foot.  “We have school today.  Wake up now.”

“Five more minutes,” he whined.

Minyoung chuckled.  “C’mon, Yukwon.  If you don’t wake up, I’ll get Minhyuk to wake you up.  He takes pleasure in pouring ice cold water on people.”

Yukwon sat up lazily.  His red hair was messy, and Minyoung found that adorable.

“Hurry, we’re going to be late,” Minyoung said.  She grabbed Yukwon’s arm and pulled him out of the sleeping bag.

“What time is it?”

“I don’t know…five in the morning?”

Yukwon yelled, “What?”

“It’s five in the morning.  Is there any problem with that?”

“But…but…why would you wake me up this early?”

“It’s a school day.” Minyoung pushed him into the bathroom and shut the door.  She called from outside, “Hurry up!  Minhyuk wants to visit Taeil before school starts.”

“What?  Why?”

“Stop asking so many questions!” Minyoung exclaimed.  She ran down the hall to her own bedroom.  Carefully checking to see if anyone was watching before opening the door, she slid inside.

Minyoung’s room was simple—white carpet and white walls.  She, like Minhyuk, had a futon in her room, but she never used it.  Minyoung preferred sleeping on the couch in the living room.

She walked over to her closet and grabbed her uniform out of it.  Of course, she hated wearing the thing, but it made shopping for clothes easier.  At school, she could wear the uniform, and at home, she could look messy and enjoy it.  The only person around was Minhyuk, and Minhyuk didn’t care much about how she looked.

She stared at her reflection in the mirror with a sigh.  Another day.  I wish I was homeschooled. 

Minyoung enjoyed privacy.  She liked the fact that no one could enter her room.  Her room was her thinking place—and hers alone.  If someone else was allowed to be in there, it would destroy the peace and quiet. 

The main focus in Minyoung’s room was the bookshelves.  Books sat on every shelf in her room, and there were piles of books on the floor.  Minyoung didn’t like reading them, but she enjoyed collecting them, if that made sense.

And plus, she could find more information in her own room than in the school library.  The books in the library were so outdated.

“Minyoung!” Minhyuk called from the other side of the door.  “Yukwon’s out!  Let’s go to Taeil’s!”

“I’ll meet you at the door!” Minyoung replied.  She grabbed a pair of shoes from the floor, her backpack from her desk chair, and a jacket from her bed.  After making sure her door was locked, she ran to catch up with the two boys.

“Hey Minhyuk, why are we going to Taeil oppa’s?  We were just there a few days ago.”

“I’m hungry and didn’t want to cook food.”

“I could’ve made you—”

“The only things that you can make are instant ramyun and cereal, both of which require no cooking talent at all.” Minhyuk smirked.

Minyoung frowned.  “Hey, I might not be the best cook, but at least I can survive.  You’re an even bigger klutz when it comes to the kitchen.”

“You win.  Taeil hyung gets up around this time, so we won’t be disturbing anyone.” Minhyuk turned to Yukwon, who looked exhausted.

“Poor Yukwon had to wake up early.” Minyoung shook her head.  “You know, when you make that face, you look like a cat.”

“A what?” Yukwon was instantly awake.

“Being called a cat isn’t manly at all.” Minhyuk sighed.  “Especially when you’ve been called a cat by the girl you like.”

“Why would you call me that?  I don’t even…”

Minyoung shrugged.  “But you’re awake now, right?”

 

<:>

 

Taeil was washing dishes in the kitchen as the three teenagers walked through the door.  Minyoung dragged Yukwon over to a table, leaving Minhyuk to chat with Taeil in the kitchen.

“Hey hyung.”

Taeil looked up.  “Minhyuk?  What are you doing here so early?”

“For one, I’m not the twin who enjoys waking up at unreasonable hours.  The student council requested that I submit my idea for the dance to them this morning.”

“A student council?  That sounds so nerdy,” Taeil said.

Minhyuk rolled his eyes.  “The guy who wears fake glasses should not be talking.”

“Is that the best you’ve got?” Taeil laughed.

Minhyuk shrugged.  “What can I say?  It’s too early in the morning for me.”

“Are you with Minyoung?”

“When am I not with her?”

“True.” Taeil paused.  “Then are you with Yukwon?”

“When am I not with him either?”

“Good point.” Taeil resumed scrubbing the dishes, leaving Minhyuk to stand there awkwardly.

Minhyuk and Taeil had a weird relationship.  Even though they were both guys and were only a few years apart, both boys felt closer to Minyoung than each other.  They could both agree that Minyoung was the glue holding the family together.

Minhyuk’s parents loved to argue.  For the longest time, he didn’t understand why they were still together when they seemed to argue all of the time.  Then, he realized that two things kept them from divorcing—their love for their ramyun business and their children...especially Minyoung.

Minhyuk always wanted to be closer to Taeil since he was a little boy.  He wanted to grow up to be just like Taeil, even if that meant that he had to boss Minyoung around.

But while Minhyuk was interested in sports and outdoor activities, Taeil was more of a book person.  Minyoung had the same traits as Taeil.  Therefore, it was no surprise that the two boys weren’t that close.

“Minhyuk, hurry up!” Minyoung yelled.  “We have to get to school!”

 

<:>

 

After getting the dance theme approved by the student council, the official announcement was made over the school intercom in homeroom. 

Immediately after the announcement was made, people started asking each other to the dance.

“Kim Yukwon!” Minyoung called down the hall immediately after homeroom.  When he turned around, Minyoung grinned.  The last time I tried to ask him, Minhyuk interrupted.  No one should interrupt me this time.

“Hey, what’s up?”

“I was wondering if you’d go to the dance with me…” Minyoung said slowly.  Her heartbeat quickened—being the first time she actually asked a boy to the dance—and she shifted her eyes toward the ground.

“Minyoung…”

She glanced up at his face but couldn’t read his expression.  Minyoung looked down the hall and happened to catch a glance at her twin, who was surrounded by at least five girls.  She wondered how he could manage to get a date five minutes after the announcement was made.

“You beat me to it.” He laughed.  “I’d love to go to the dance with you.”