Chapter 1

Synthesis

The mission would be difficult to say the least. The obstacles that needed to be passed, the sharp turns, fortifications, and sensor activated traps that lied along the way, made it seemingly impossible for this mission to be accomplished in the time allotted, but he was determined.

And...GO!

And with a leap, leading straight into a dive, he landed with a rather loud thud on the bare, polished wooden floor, using its sleek surface to glide along smoothly through the vast space of vulnerability. He couldn’t be seen, he needed to be swift. No time to waste, he thought to himself as he used his hands to guide his movements, finally sitting up slightly, back against the back portion of the couch. He felt safe, but only for a mere moment. The clock was ticking and he was already behind schedule by about ten seconds. Hoisting himself up a little into a crouched position, he looked around the edge of the couch to see if the cost was clear, and once he had confirmed that indeed, no other being was there, he used his socks to glide along the still sleek surface of the floor.

Two more, he counted. Just two more obstacles remained, though they were the deadliest of them all. The horrid wall of separation and the almighty door of doom. Would he get through this alive? Only one way to find out.

On the count of three...THREE!

And he dove past the wall, sliding across the narrow hallway, gasping at where his momentum had suddenly vanished. He was right in front of the door, so he quickly turned to lie on his back, using his legs to push himself out of the range of site to anyone who would have seen him through that half-opened reign of terror. Sitting up against the wall to the side, he panted rather loudly, but quickly stopped, finally taking on the full realization of his accomplishment. I DID IT! and oh, how that sweet revelation that dawned on him had required him to do a random fist pump into the air, quietly congratulating himself rather egoistically in his brave efforts. He finally stood up in full height, walking slowly over to his destination, which seemed to be almost dream like. He needed to cross over these two dimensions, from wooden to tiled flooring, and it was only a couple of metres away. He savored the victorious moment while it lasted, but then quickened his pace over to that realm of glory when-

BRRIIIIIIIIIING

No...shock had suddenly taken over his once happy expression as he froze, so he quickly picked up his one leg in order to try to get away from-

“Jang. Woo. Young.” The voice was low, threatening in practically every aspect known to this man. “What. Are. You. Doing.”

He turned around in a rather cartoon-ish stuttered action, finally looking at the form that had emerged from behind the door. There he was, standing in merely a white shirt with a single stripe that rode around horizontally under his elbows, and across his back and front, with a pair of blue checkered lounge pants. It was the most evil thing he had ever seen.

“G-Good m-morning h-hyung...”

“You better not be doing what I think you’re doing.”

“O-Of course n-not,” he let out a nervous laugh, scratching the back of his head in rather obvious denial.

“Back. To your room. Now.”

“BUT HYUNG-”

NOW, WOOYOUNG!

“JUST THIS ONCE, PLEEEEEASE~”

“NO!” his voice was loud, booming with authority, the eminent anger seething between his teeth, “How many times have I told you, you will NOT be making breakfast again. E-V-E-R. I will not, under any circumstances, find myself having to deal with your pile of ashes for a burnt steak or put out your hell-fire stove version ever again.”

“BUT-”

“NOW, BEFORE I TAKE AWAY YOUR STUPID PANDA PLUSHIE AGAIN!”

And with that statement, poor Wooyoung, whose name had now been revealed, slowly made his way back to his room, head bowed, sulking silently and cursing his hyung under his own breath, but before he passed the other man’s figure, he looked up, glaring at his form.

“One of these days, I will touch one of those cooking utensils again. Mark my words, Nichkhun-hyung.”

“And that will be the day I die,” the other man’s voice replied rather calmly.

Mission: Failed.


The meeting was in session as soon as the briefing table was filled with the members of the group deceptively innocently called The Wednesday Club. As their name suggested, these eight people would meet every Wednesday night at exactly 8pm in this little off-the-wall deli they have claimed as their own. The soft music from the indie band on stage filled the room with a slow reggae beat as the lead vocalist hummed the introduction to their latest composition. He was singing about the slices of life, and already each member had their unique opinion on it.

Spending my days with you is like living in a world of fancy
with all of the beautiful people I know
making love in a world of vivid colors, how often have I been there
but it really doesn’t matter as long as we’re together
Just like a splendid love song

“It would have been more effective if they upped the tempo a little bit and added another guitar. The accompaniment is a little weak.”

“Couldn’t they write about something less Unicorns-and-Rainbows-y?”

Jay Park ignored his former fellow Music Production majors Ian and Minji who spoke one after the other immediately. He instead turned his attention to the hot plate of barbequed beef in front of him and dug right in. If tonight was going to be beef night, then he was going to make the most of it. He didn’t exactly have a concrete opinion to share about the music as he always preferred a more upbeat, more hip-hop, song, but good music was good music, and he was open to all forms and genres.

Sometimes Jay would wonder why everyone still insisted on meeting up when it wasn’t as if all eight of them didn’t share a class with other in varying combinations. Not only that, but six of them excluding Nara and Ian lived in the apartment complex right above the deli as well. It seemed unnecessary, but he liked it nonetheless, the idea of having something official to do with a group of people.

Aside of course, from his other activities.

Next to him was Renn, smiling as always though she remained silent as she watched the band perform on stage. Across him, Seulong and Nara were in deep conversation about some Psychological theory they were already attaching to the song, and on the other end of the table was Junho and Junsu exchanging last minute notes from their earlier Biology class today.

“Renn, did you get what Dr. Lee said about Koch’s theory?” Junsu asked, turning towards Renn, pen in hand.

“Which part? The one where the suspected causative organism should be present in all observed cases of the disease? Or just the part where the causative organism should kill you?” She answered with a small laugh.

“Yeah, the first part thanks.”

“Can we not talk about class today?” Jay whined, “Keep the science nerd stuff to a minimum.”

Junsu raised his hands in mock surrender as the table erupted in chuckles. Jay stuffed a piece of beef in his mouth and the rest of the group proceeded to do the same, all the while passing out their thoughts on how Music Majors would never understand Science.

To this, all three Performing Art majors would rebuttal with their side of the so-called equation. “Well, look at it this way,” Ian started, “We balance you guys out. Our right side of the brain is our dominant side while yours is the left side. Together, we create the best schemes.”

“You’re too smart for your own good.” Nara joked, poking Ian’s shoulder.

“Ooh...what is this I see, more-than-friendly banter is it?” Seulong teased, waggling his brows.

“Ew.” Was Nara’s eloquent reply, and once again the table caved in to laughter as the jokes came in larger amounts as they shared their dinner with each other.

“So, any updates today?” Junsu finally asked, and a more serious mood took over the table.

“Well, we still haven’t launched Plan B, the timing is a little inconvenient given the logistics. We’re still waiting for the right opportunity.” Minji answered, tossing her head a little to move her fringe away from her face.

“We still need to confirm if Plan A is completely beyond salvaging.” Junho added, pulling out a notebook from his bag.

Jay watched with feigned interest as his friends continued with this little plan of theirs. He knew he had to pay attention as he was the designated frontman, but all he really wanted was to hang out with his friends for a while before heading out to tonight’s scheduled appointment.

“Jay, you okay? You’re out of it again.” Renn asked, nudging her shoulder against his.

“Yeah,” he replied, “I dunno, guess a little worn out. Had to dance all day today.”

Renn laughed, “Get some rest tonight, then. I still don’t get why you’re taking extra choreography units, but it’s your graduation date at stake, so I’m assuming you know what you’re doing.”

“Yeah, don’t worry about me”

It was a poignant scene when viewed from outside the glass windows of this little shop these eight people have made their main haunting grounds. Poignant, and almost as if there were no unpleasant forebodings that laid along their paths.


It was quiet and peaceful when Taecyeon entered the hall. No one was there yet, and it was the perfect setting to do some reading. No interference of any sort.

“Just me and my book.” He said to himself. The book that read “Physics” on the cover was his choice, as always. He took his usual seat at the lecture hall, waiting for the next class lecture to start. After some time reading, he realised something was off.

“Perfect. But it’s too perfect.” He turned to his book again, embracing the possibility that that day might go the way he always wanted it to be. However, nothing lasted forever.

“Ahh!! Hyung... Help!! What is this??” The voice had a familiarity in it. With that, Taecyeon realised that his ‘perfect’ time was up. He closed his book and awaits for him. His voice reached Taecyeon even before the guy, himself, was present. He remembered what his lecturer told them in class the other day, Do not underestimate the power of sound waves. He nodded in acknowledgement of it now.

“Hyung hyung...” So there he was, standing in front of him now. The source of the sound.

“What is it Chansung?” Taecyeon let go of his favourite book, placing it on the table. Chansung took out few pieces of paper and handed them to him.

“Can you help me with these questions?” Chansung gave him the ‘I’m cute so help me’ face which did not work with Taecyeon. Nevertheless, Taecyeon took the paper and read it.

“But Chansung, this is a Math paper. Why do you have it? You’re an English major.”

“Well...” Chansung scratched his head, thinking of a good reason to cover the real truth.

“A girl again huh?” Chansung flashed his set of perfect teeth at Taecyeon’s guess. He rolled his eyes at Chansung’s nth time puppy love.

“I don’t take my Physics major and my minors to help you get a fling boy.” Taecyeon handed the papers back to Chansung and picked up his book to read where he had stopped.

“But hyung...” Chansung pulled Taecyeon’s shirt and began whining.

“No buts. Now go go.. Oh by the way, how is it that you always know where I am at what time?” Taecyeon was indeed curious at the fact that this English major student knew his whereabouts.

“Well, the lady in the administration office gave me a copy of your schedule.” He gave Taecyeon a sly smile. No doubt about it, this boy had a gift with the ladies.

“So...hyung.. This math pape-”

“Forget it. Now go..” Taecyeon cut him off before he could start his pleas again. In the end, Chansung gave up and left. Taecyeon took a look at the younger friend of his left in sadness. However, something about the young man reminded Taecyeon of himself.

“Oppa, I don’t understand this..” Her voice was so angelic that as each time she opened to speak, Taecyeon could feel his heart soar.

“Hmm.. Let me see.” Taecyeon took a look at the paper that she’d been working on.

“Aori.. This is condensation polymerisation and not addition polymerisation..”

“What’s the difference?” Aori pouts at her mistake. Taecyeon couldn’t help but just smile at the girl.

“In condensation polymerisation, two monomers react to form a larger molecule and eliminate a smaller molecule, such as water, ammonia and methanol, where as in addition polymerisation, monomers with double bonds are joined together by covalent bonds to form a larger molecule polymer without losing any small molecule.. Do you see the difference now?” Taecyeon turned to her after his explanation, only to see her copying what he had just said. He chuckled at her cuteness.

“Oppa.. Stop laughing. I need to study harder to get to your level and it’s tiring.” Aori massaged her shoulders. Taecyeon smiled and massaged her shoulders for her.

“Don’t worry.. I’ll always be by your side to help you..”

“Promise?”

“Yes.. I promise..”

All went well with him and Aori except for one. Aori’s heart was not for him. On Valentine’s day of 2008, Taecyeon’s heart shattered into a million pieces.

“Oppa oppa!.. Meet Song Joong Ki.. My boyfriend.” Her bright lovely smile accentuated her perfect features. Dark invisible clouds hovered over him like it was going to rain on top of his head with that sad revelation.

“Please be seated so that I can start the lecture, people..” With that, Taecyeon snapped back to reality.