Chapter 1

Eotteoke…?

Cho Household.

Cho TaeMin carefully ladled the steaming hot broth into a bowl. He took a small sip and nodded at the  delicious taste. He placed it on the place mat on the low table and took a step back to study the small spread of food. Everything was ready and the side dishes were all in their respective small bowls. Once he was satisfied he went to knock on his father’s door.

“Appa? Breakfast is ready,” TaeMin called out softly.

Mr. Cho, a tall man well into his 50’s still looked handsome, a trait that he had passed on to both his sons, slid his door opened and stepped out. “Hmm…the stew smells good Min-ah.”

“Thank you appa.” TaeMin smiled at his father’s praise. Ever since he was a child he took it upon himself to do the housekeeping. No one forced him to, in fact when his appa and hyeong suggested that they hired someone to do the cooking and cleaning he had protested and said he didn’t mind doing it. Mr. Cho only agreed when TaeMin promised that it wouldn’t interfere with his schooling.

Mr. Cho sat down and watched TaeMin scooped him a bowl of rice.  “TaeMin-ah…”

“Yes appa, I’ll go call hyeong.” TaeMin passed his appa the rice and was about to get up when his father motioned him to sit.

“He’ll come down when he’s ready.” Mr. Cho cleared his throat. “So when were you going to tell me about your boyfriend?” His father cocked an eyebrow at him.

“Boy…boyfriend? Appa!” TaeMin pouted. “I’m still in high school, I don’t have time for one.”

“Really?” Mr. Cho gave a sly smile as he continued watching his son now visibly squirming in his seat. “So who was it I saw kissing you the other night, right in front of our gate?”

“Appa!” TaeMin widen his eyes. Appa saw? OMG! What is he going to do now? How is he going to get out of this?

“Oh Min-ah, if you can only see your own face now…ha! Ha!” Mr Cho couldn’t stop himself from laughing. The look on his youngest was priceless.

TaeMin waited until his father’s laughter subsided. “You saw us?”

“Yes, I was just surprised that you fell for Shim MinHo.” Mr Cho smiled. “I don’t think your hyeong is going to be very happy about this.”

“I love him.”

“I’m on your side son.” Mr. Cho patted TaeMin’s shoulder. “We’ll just have to keep this between ourselves okay?”

TaeMin nodded and hung his head. He had fallen head over heels for the dongsaeng of his hyeong’s enemy, Shim ChangMin! TaeMin knew that if KyuHyun hyeong found out then there will be trouble. No one knew why but both men just could not even stand being in the same room, which was really weird since both set of parents were very good friends.

KyuHyun sighed inwardly. He didn’t mean to eavesdrop but he was about to enter the room when he heard his father questioning Tae Min about his boyfriend.

Boyfriend? When he was TaeMin’s age he…Argh! That’s another story, one he doesn’t want to remember. But Tae Min is seeing MinHo? Shim MinHo the dongsaeng of his enemy Shim ChangMin? Is fate playing games with him, again? KyuHyun just shook his head waited and waited a few more seconds before entering the room acting as though he didn’t hear a thing.

 

~..~..~..~..~

Caramel – ChangMin’s candy shop.

 

“Yah! MinHo!” ChangMin smacked his dongsaeng’s dreamy head. “Spacing out again?”

“No I wasn’t hyeong nim.” MinHo a soft spoken man shook his head as he quickly shoved his phone into his pocket. He wasn’t spacing out but he was wondering why TaeMin wanted to see him. He re-read the text several times but it yielded not clues. All it said was Meet me at our usual place.

“Here, these need to be delivered.” ChangMin pointed to 4 neatly wrapped parcels, each with a different colored bow.

“Yes hyeong nim.” MinHo picked up the parcels and placed them in four separate paper bags with the name Caramel on it before walking out of the shop.

“MinHo!” ChangMin called out and in his hand was a piece of paper. “You forgot to take the address!”

“Sorry hyeong nim.” MinHo back tracked and took the paper. He read the addresses and saw that one of it was close to TaeMin’s school. Maybe if he hurried with the deliveries he could meet TaeMin and so he quickly went to his motorbike.

ChangMin with his hands on his hips sighed at his dongsaeng. MinHo had always been in a world of his own but recently it had become worst. He was worried about his dongsaeng but he had a business to run too. ChangMin tugged his scarlet apron and began to refill the buckets of sweets on display.

About a year ago he had bought this shop from the previous owner who wanted to migrate overseas. He had always loved the sweets and chocolates the shop sold so he decided to expand it by making deliveries on special occasions.

 

~..~..~..~..~..~

 

Jjok – KyuHyun’s bookshop.

KyuHyun bowed and thanked the customer as he handed him the paper bag containing the newly purchased books. “Please come again.”

He watched the customer walked out and saw Shim MinHo zooming by on his motorbike. He looked like he was in a hurry. KyuHyun didn’t hate or like that boy but he knew he was  quiet and well mannered compared to his hyeong.

KyuHyun turned away from the window and started to lightly dust his books. His precious books were the world to him. It was his childhood dream to own a book store. KyuHyun had always preferred books to humans.

He still remembered as a child he hated the weekly gatherings that his parents dragged him and TaeMin to attend. His parents were extremely good friends with Shim ChangMin’s parents and both families spent a great deal of time together.

Shim ChangMin. He was the main reason why he hated those gatherings. ChangMin liked to tease and bully him. He always snatched his books away, pinched him and on one occasion even stole his cake! But there was another reason why he hated ChangMin so much. A reason he had kept to himself all these years.

 

~..~..~..~..~

 

“So your appa knows?” MinHo sat down on the wooden bench dejected. “What…how?”

“How? He saw us kissing hyeong.” TaeMin slipped an arm around the older man and rested his head of light brown hair on his shoulder.

“TaeMin-ah…someone might see…” MinHo tried shrugging the younger man’s head off as his eyes darted around the now empty playground.

“I don’t care! We’re not doing anything wrong!” TaeMin pouted but kept his arm and head in the same position. He was surprised to see MinHo hyeong waiting for him outside the school gates. He proudly showed off his older boyfriend to his friends as he ran towards the tall man and kissing him smack on the lips in front of everyone.  He knew it had embarrassed MinHo hyeong but he couldn’t help it.

“No, we’re not but if one of our hyeongs sees us we’ll be in deep trouble,” MinHo reasoned.

“I’m sick of them. Why do we have to sneak around their backs? Appa said he didn’t mind but he too said not to let KyuHyun hyeong know.” TaeMin rolled his eyes.

“Why did you want to see me?” MinHo asked hoping a change in topic would lighten TaeMin’s mood.

“Don’t you know what day is today?” TaeMin questioned him back.

“It isn’t your birthday…I give up what day is it?” MinHo turned to face a scowling TaeMin.

“It is our one month anniversary hyeong! Don’t you remember? Our first date?” TaeMin stood up and stamped his foot.

“Aish, TaeMin-ah I’m sorry I forgot.” MinHo sheepishly smiled.  It had totally slipped his mind.

“And I thought you said you loved me.” TaeMin pretended to walk away.

“TaeMin-ah, wait please wait.” MinHo quickly grabbed TaeMin’s hand.

TaeMin quickly looked away to hide his smile knowing MinHo hyeong wouldn’t let him leave but MinHo hyeong has to be punished for forgetting such an important day!

 

~..~..~..~..~

 

ChangMin looked at his watch and wondered where MinHo was. He was supposed to return ages ago and he hoped nothing happened to him. He was so engrossed awhile before with work and the customers to notice his dongsaeng have yet to return.  He stepped out of his shop hoping to see his dongsaeng but instead his eyes met Cho KyuHyun’s whose shop was just a few meters away. Both men glared at each other for a few seconds before they both went into their respective shops.

ChangMin dropped a tea bag into his mug before pouring hot water into it. He inhaled the fragrant tea that calmed his nerves. Cho KyuHyun! When he first purchased the shop he had no idea KyuHyun’s book shop would be so near! Ever since that fateful day years ago he had never spoken to KyuHyun again. They had remained cold and distant ever since not that they were ever friends in the first place.

It has been six years but ChangMin could still remember what happened so clearly. He had found a friend online, someone who shared both his interests, dreams and love for sweets! They had been chatting for months and both agreed to not reveal their real identities. ChangMin went by the user name of Hot Sauce and his friend was Caramel. ChangMin had always loved caramel, the warm gooey fudgy sweet toffee and was instantly attracted to the person who used the nickname. Secretly he hoped the persona behind the name was like that too.

After almost a year they both decided to meet. Both of them were excited and agreed to meet at a café. Each gave a brief description of themselves and what they would be wearing. The time and date were set and they eagerly waited for the big day to come.

 

~..~..~..~..~

 

KyuHyun tapped the end of a pen on his desk as he waited for someone to answer the phone. Is no one at home? He knew that meant his appa was still at the community center probably with his best friend, ChangMin’s father. But it also meant TaeMin was not home either. He glanced at his watch showing it was already past 7 pm, TaeMin was usually home doing his homework or the housework.

Was TaeMin with MinHo? He didn’t see TaeMin’s bike parked outside Caramel when he peeped out a moment ago and instead he saw ChangMin. Damn that man! KyuHyun slammed a fist down on the table upsetting a few books.  Caramel, why did ChangMin named his shop Caramel? KyuHyun wondered for the nth time. And why did he choose to open his shop here too?

Cursing the other man KyuHyun bent down to pick up the fallen books. He still found it hard to believe that his dongsaeng had fallen for Shim Minho! That MinHo must have seduced his dongsaeng! KyuHyun mind went back to what happened 6 years ago, that something made him hate ChangMin even more.

 

Fifteen year old shy and quiet KyuHyun never thought his very first friend and eventually the person he fell for online turned out to be Shim ChangMin! ChangMin the bully, the tormentor during his childhood was the person he opened up and told all his deepest secrets to. He never once thought the gentle, kind, thoughtful friend who always lend an ear to all his troubles, Hot Sauce was Shim ChangMin!

KyuHyun had arrived early and decided to wait inside the café for Hot Sauce. He had dressed carefully and patiently waited. Tucked in his bag was a present for Hot Sauce, a silver bracelet. When the door of the café swung open and ChangMin entered KyuHyun initially thought perhaps it was a coincidence that ChangMin wore exactly like what Hot Sauce said he would.

 But when ChangMin saw him and seeing the look on ChangMin’s face was enough for KyuHyun to pick up his bag and bolt. He was so embarrassed and had immediately run out of the café. KyuHyun heard ChangMin calling his name but he had ignored him and kept on running.

 

~..~..~..~..~

Caramel.

“Abeoji?” ChangMin was wondering what his father was doing at his shop. His father rarely visited as the old man hated anything sweet.

“Is MinHo here?” the grey haired man asked.

“No, I thought he was at home with you.”ChangMin was puzzled. “I’ve been trying his hand phone but he doesn’t pick up. I sent him to deliver some gifts but that was ages ago.”

“Hmmm… I wonder.”

“What is it abeoji?” ChangMin poured some tea for his father.

“Did you know he’s dating someone?”

“MinHo dating?” ChangMin chuckled knowing how shy his dongsaeng was. MinHo was always blushing and at times stuttered whenever a customer spoke to him. But when he saw that his father wasn’t laughing or smiling he asked, “Who?”

ChangMin’s eyes widen with surprise when he heard who it was.

 

Jjok.

“Appa? This is a surprise.” KyuHyun put an arm around his father as he ushered him in.

“I was nearby and decided to drop in to see you.”

“See me? Appa, you saw me this morning!” KyuHyun grinned as he pulled a stool for his father to rest his weary legs.

“Can’t I come and see my sons?” The father teased his son.

“Of course! But you shouldn’t be walking alone at night appa.” KyuHyun eyed several customers who were browsing through some books. Sons?

“I wasn’t alone, I was with old man Shim.”

“I’ll close early and we’ll have dinner together, I’ll just give Min a call so that he don’t have to cook dinner.” KyuHyun smiled at his father. “We’ll just buy something for him.”

“I forgot to mention I already ate.  I had dinner with Shim.” His father smiled back.

“Dinner? Didn’t TaeMin cook your dinner?” KyuHyun frowned thinking he should have a talk to his dongsaeng. “Wasn’t he at home?”

“Er…no, I thought he was here with you.” Mr. Cho knew that sometimes his younger son would stop by his hyeong’s shop to help out.

“No he isn’t.” KyuHyun’s face was grim as he dialed his dongsaeng’s number and as expected he was diverted to voice mail. “Where is he? Is he with MinHo?  Appa, I swear if anything happens to TaeMin I’ll kill MinHo.”

“MinHo? How did you know?” His appa looked surprised.

“I overheard you and TaeMin talking this morning.” KyuHyun ran his fingers through his hair.

“Did you?” The old man nodded his head slowly.

“Have…excuse me appa.” KyuHyun went to attend to his customers who were calling for him.

 

~..~..~..~..~

 

Caramel.

“How long have you known abeoji? How long has this been going on?” ChangMin found it hard to believe that he was kept in the dark.

“Let’s see… about a few days now. I‘m not too sure how long they have been dating though.”

“A few days? Why wasn’t I told? How could you allow them…?” ChangMin was livid. “Where the is MinHo?”

“Language my boy!” Mr. Shim smacked his son’s head.

“I’m sorry abeoji.” ChangMin lowered his head. “I just wondered how it got to be … why didn’t I notice it?” He was busy calling MinHo.

“Why should you? MinHo isn’t a child. He’s 19, practically an adult.”


“Why isn’t he picking up his phone?” ChangMin muttered angrily. “He must be with TaeMin.”

“Maybe.” His father shrugged his shoulders.

 

~..~..~..~..~

Jjok.

“I’m still going to close early today.” KyuHyun decided as soon as the last customer left.

“Why?” His father looked up from the book he was perusing.

“I’m going to look for TaeMin.”

“The boy is fine, just running a bit late.”

“Are you sure? How can you be so calm?” KyuHyun looked at his father in surprise who handed him his handphone.

“He sent me a text earlier.”

KyuHyun scrolled down and read the very short message. “I’m going with MinHo. Goodbye.”

“When did you get this? What…what the hell was that supposed to mean?” Kyuhyun pointed at the screen. “Going with? Goodbye?”


“When he didn’t come home I just presumed TaeMin came here instead of going home.” Mr. Cho replied. “MinHo is a good boy and I’m sure our TaeMin is safe with him.”

“But they should have been back. MinHo knows TaeMin has school tomorrow.” KyuHyun was getting annoyed by the second.