Indecisions

Just A Holiday Romance

     "JongHyun ah!" He moaned, hearing his mother call from the living area. "JongHyun ah, wake up!" Not realising how close he was the the edge of the bed, JongHyun rolled over and yelped as he fell out of bed and hit the ground in a muddle of limbs and duvet. "Did you fall out of bed again?" His mother asked, her voice louder that before. He came to realise that she was standing just outside the door.
     Pushing himself up onto his knees, JongHyun struggled with the duvet and eventually managed to take a breath of fresh air. "I'm fine mum." He called back, not really answering her question. "I'll be out in a minute." Hearing her footsteps fade, JongHyun rubbed his hands over his face and sighed.
     The only thing he hated about these holidays were the early mornings. His parents demanded they be up at the crack of dawn to make the most of the views. In reality, what they meant was getting to the best vantage points before anyone else on site.
     JongHyun wasn't really interested in where they were going to trek to today, he was sure he'd enjoy it once they got there but his thoughts were firmly rested with Key. He was much more looking forward to sneaking off to Key's lodge that evening. The more he thought about Key, the harder it would be to get his raging hormones under control. The last thing he needed was to get a during breakfast.
     Reluctantly pushing the teenager from his mind, JongHyun detangled himself from the duvet and stumbled across the room, yawning loudly as he stretched his arms above his head. Breakfast was going to be boring...delicious as always, but he'd be forced to listen to his father's plan for the day. Sometimes he'd rather they just wander off and get lost...have a real adventure rather than planning everything down to the finest detail.
     Tumbling out of the bedroom, JongHyun made it safely to the kitchen table and threw himself into one of the available chairs. His mother had put out a wonderful breakfast spread and, as usual, JongHyun's stomach was delighted by what his eyes were seeing. Grabbing a bowl, JongHyun lunged forward to help himself to the food. He froze the instant his father cleared his throat and looked up from the map he was leant over. "Aren't you going to wait for your mother to sit?"
     Eventually JongHyun's mother graced them with her presence, smiling weakly at her son and nodding as he pleaded with his eyes to let him eat. "I need to pop into town today, we've run out of eggs." That was the other thing JongHyun loved about this place. They were in the middle of nowhere yet there was a town bursting full of life less than 20 minutes away by car. "Is there anything you want me to get you?"
     Chewing the food down in his mouth, JongHyun swallowed as quickly as he could. He had something in mind but he'd rather get it himself. "Not today mum, thanks. You're gonna be going to town again soon, right?" She stared thoughtfully into space before nodding. "Can I come with you next time? It's been a while since I've seen it."
     "Of course you can." His mother glanced over at her husband. "You were going to the lake today, right? Maybe you can take the fishing rods?" JongHyun perked up instantly. If his dad was going to be busy fishing he could sneak off and find Key. "I'll be able to find my own way down to the lake when I come back."
     Grabbing some of the fruit from the bowl in the middle of the table, JongHyun excused himself and stood up. "I'll go ask if we can keep the fish we catch." Kicking the bedroom door closed, JongHyun threw his fruit on the bed and dropped his boxers, stepping out of them and crossing the room in search of a clean pair.
     Quickly dressing his lower body with a pair of long shorts over his boxers, JongHyun grabbed a clean T-shirt from the wardrobe and threw it on. He'd pack a jumper for the trip, just in case it was colder than he anticipated outside. Shorts and T-shirt were more than adequate for running up to Key's and back. He shook his head. He wasn't going to Key's, he was going to find out if they could keep their catches.
     Biting down on an apple he'd grabbed from the table, JongHyun threw his bedroom door open and sprinted the short distance to the front door. "Back soon!" He yelled, jamming his feet into his hiking boots and running out of the lodge. The grass was crisp beneath his feet. Droplets of dew sprayed outwards, covering his boots with a layer of dampness as he ran through the deserted site.
 
     The site manager's lodge was located near the entrance, tantalisingly close to Key's. JongHyun couldn't let himself get distracted. If he went to Key's now, he'd forget entirely about fishing. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing, fishing could be extremely boring. Maybe JongHyun would invite Key, to entertain him while he waited for a catch.
     He slowed as he passed Key's lodge. It was dark and there were no signs of life. JongHyun wondered what time the younger male had gone to bed and whether he was going to sleep most of the morning. Forcing himself to keep walking, JongHyun trod the unfamiliar path towards the site entrance, eyes settling on the person he was looking for.
     "Morning!" JongHyun called cheerily as he approached the manager. He looked up and smiled broadly as the younger male drew closer. "My parents want to go fishing at the lake later, we weren't sure whether we can keep what we catch or not." He didn't like beating around the bush, especially when there were more important things to be thinking about.
     "You can keep three edible fish. We have to limit the amount each person can take to make sure the ecosystem doesn't get damaged." The site manager told him. "We have patrols down by the lake to make sure everyone is sticking to the rules...And to tell amateur fishermen whether their catch is edible or not." JongHyun nodded his understanding.
     "That's great, thanks! Have a nice day!" He shouted over his shoulder as he ran back towards Key's lodge. JongHyun had this unrelenting urge to be close to the younger male and was determined to act on it. He bounced up the steps and reached out to knock, hesitating with his knuckles barely an inch away from the wood.
     Would he look desperate if he saw Key again so quickly? He'd never had a holiday romance before and wasn't sure how to play it. Letting his hand fall back to his side, JongHyun chewed thoughtfully on his lip, eventually deciding that waiting until that evening was probably a safer bet. He didn't know how grumpy Key was if he was woken up either.
     Turning and wandering back down the steps, JongHyun forced himself to walk away without looking back. Peering out from bedroom window, Key sighed and watched his retreating back. He hadn't expected to see JongHyun that morning but now that they'd got so close to seeing each other again, Key felt a little disappointed that JongHyun hadn't plucked up the courage to knock.
     He wondered what the elder male would be doing that day, whether he'd be able to follow him and make it look like a coincidence. Shaking his head, Key turned away from the window and stared at the empty bedroom. JongHyun had referred to him as a stalker yesterday and he didn't really want to give him a reason to call him it again. Key chewed on his lip, mulling over how desperate he was to see JongHyun for more than half an hour in the evening.
     Crossing the bedroom, Key pulled the wardrobe door open and picked out a lightweight jacket, slinging it over his shoulders as he decided that breakfast was a good plan of action. He had food in the lodge, mostly packets of instant noodles which weren't exactly suitable for breakfast. A trip to the food hall was in order, much to Key's delight.
     It was the perfect time to go, all the hot food would be fresh from the ovens, filling the hall with wonderful fragrances...Very few people would be there, giving Key the privacy he desired when eating. Slipping his feet into his more casual pair of shoes, Key checked his hair in the mirror before opening the front door and stepping out into the fresh morning air.
     The sun was just starting to break through the trees, sending patches of dappled light over the site. Key smiled, he loved how serene early mornings were. Pulling the oversized jacket back up over his shoulder, Key made his way down the steps, dropping easily into the dewy grass. Having made the trip to the food hall at least twice a day for the last week, Key knew the route like the back of his hand.
     His feet took him in the right direction without much thought, leaving his eyes free to take in the wonderful colours the early morning sun was throwing over the area. Reaching the bath house in next to no time, Key hesitated as voices floated through the silence, growing louder with every passing second. He looked to his right, eyes settling on three people walking toward him.
     Closest to him was a woman, walking slightly ahead of her two companions. She smiled warmly as she passed him, taking the path he had just walked down towards the entrance to the site. He inclined his head politely, eyes never leaving the face of one of the people she had left behind. JongHyun winked at him, smiling broadly as he passed.
     Both JongHyun and his father were carrying fishing rods over their shoulders. Key watched their retreating backs and smiled. At least now he knew where JongHyun was going to be spending the day, which left him one decision to make. Would he follow him to the lake or find something else to do with his time?

 

~

 

Yup really failing at keeping this one to myself XD;