Chapter 1

BEHIND YOUR SMILE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

April 25, 2024

Life is an unpredictable journey, isn't it? It's like sailing through a stormy sea, never knowing when the next wave will hit. Amidst all the chaos, there's this persistent ache, a hollow feeling that gnaws at my soul.

It's like there's a puzzle with a missing piece, and no matter how hard I search, I can't seem to find it. Could it be love? That elusive, intangible force that poets wax lyrical about? I've never experienced it, never felt the rush of emotion or the flutter of butterflies in my stomach.

But deep down, I hold onto hope. Hope that somewhere out there, amidst the vast expanse of the universe, there's someone who's meant to be my missing piece. Someone who will unravel the mysteries of my heart and make sense of the chaos within.

Yet, finding love isn't like a fairy tale with a guaranteed happy ending. It's a journey filled with twists and turns, highs and lows. But despite the uncertainty, I remain optimistic. Because deep down, I believe that love is out there, waiting for me to discover it.

"So it's the headless teddy bear again?" The shrink asked, his voice tinged with a hint of amusement.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. This was my third visit to his office in just one month, and I was growing tired of recounting the same old nightmare.

But little did I know, this session would mark the beginning of a life-changing journey—the day I would encounter the girl of my dreams. But for now, I had to endure another round of therapy with Dr. Shrink.

"Yes, it's just the creepy headless teddy bear for the millionth time. Honestly, this whole thing is stupid. It's just a dream, so can you please tell my mom that I'm fine and I'm not crazy and that I don't need to see you anymore?" I retorted, my annoyance palpable.

I've been plagued by these recurring dreams for as long as I can remember. I couldn't pinpoint exactly when or how they started, but they always culminated in the same terrifying image—a headless and bloodied teddy bear. While most people might find comfort in cuddly stuffed toys, for me, they were the stuff of nightmares. My mom, however, was convinced that I needed therapy to address my irrational fear, fearing that her only daughter might be losing her mind.

"Come on, Ms. Kang. You know that's not how therapy works," Dr. Shrink chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.

I shook my head in disbelief, feeling trapped in a cycle of endless sessions with no end in sight.

"Anyway, don't you want to know why you're scared of them?" He asked, his gaze penetrating as he analyzed me.

Do you know why I hate going to shrinks? They make you feel like there's something wrong with you like you're some sort of freak or whatever when you're not. It's just a bad dream, and it's not like I'm going crazy over it, you know? It's just like a phobia or something that I don't even know where I got.

"Are you kidding?! Why would I be scared of a freaking teddy bear?" I retorted, my frustration evident.

It's not like I'm going to admit to him that I'm scared of a stuffed toy—then he'll think I'm a real freak.

"Really? So you're not scared?" He asked, a smirk playing on his lips.

"Hell no, old man!" I shot back, shaking my head vehemently and completely denying it. Didn't I tell you how good of an actress I am? I've already mastered the art of acting innocent.

"Alright," he said, pressing the intercom. "Joy, can you get me Milo The Bearoo here for a minute?" He requested.

"Copy, doc!" the girl on the intercom replied.

After a few minutes, I heard Nurse Joy arrive.

"Ms. Kang, I want to introduce you to your therapy buddy—Milo The Bearoo," she said cheerfully.

"What the !" I almost peed my pants when Nurse Joy placed Milo The Bearoo beside me.

If you're wondering who Milo The Bearoo is, he's a 120cm bear in a shade of light brown.

"I thought you weren't afraid of teddy bears, so why are you so shocked?" Dr. Shrink smirked.

I rolled my eyes. I had to pretend like this therapy was helping me with my dream problem so my parents would allow me to live on my own.

"For your assignment this week, I want you to treat Milo The Bearoo as your confidant," he said.

See? Treating me like I'm crazy! A bear as a confidant? Seriously?!

"What am I, a 6-year-old?! This is crazy," I exclaimed, putting my hands over my head. I couldn't believe this was happening.

"Well, if you don't want that, I have an alternative for you," he said, taking out his glasses.

"And what is that?"

"I'm going to require you to meet with me twice a week, which means we'll have to see each other for..." He counted using his hands. "Six times a month. What do you think?" he said, laughing.

He sure knew how to push my buttons. Ugh, stupid shrink.

"Fine, I'll take the stupid bear," I said, then grabbed the bear by its ear.

I couldn't even look at the stupid creature.

"See you at our next session, Ms. Kang," the shrink said before I shut the door.

I stepped out of the Apex Psychiatric Clinic and was greeted by the sight of a newly built garden—a stark contrast to my last visit just a month ago. The garden was breathtaking, so I decided to take a moment to explore. I tossed Milo The Bearoo onto a nearby bench before heading to the balcony overlooking the ocean—the view was stunning.

Taking in a deep breath of fresh air, I stretched my arms and admired the scenery. It was truly beautiful. I snapped a few pictures, not wanting to miss the opportunity to capture such a picturesque scene.

Glancing at my watch, I realized it was almost lunchtime, so I decided that I needed to head back to the City now before the rush hour began.

As I turned back to retrieve Milo The Bearoo from the bench, my eyes fell upon a vision—an angelic figure who seemed to radiate light.

Well, maybe not an actual angel, but she was certainly divine. Her long, flowing hair cascaded down her back, framing her delicate features. Dressed in white dress, she seemed to glow with an ethereal beauty that was hard to ignore. It was as if she had stepped out of a dream and into reality, bringing with her a sense of enchantment that captivated everyone around her. Before I knew it, she was playing with Milo The Bearoo, her laughter echoing through the air a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter