• SOMETHING JUST LIKE THIS •

• LOVERS IN JAPAN: shibuya crossing •
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

— Daikanyama, Tokyo —

 

 

• Y POV •

 

It has been almost a week since I moved into this apartment building after I accepted a position in the new office branch.

On the coming Monday, I will be a Business Manager of Kenko (Tokyo) Co., Ltd. – an expanding pharmaceutical company.

My family is back in Osaka, and so is someone I missed and let go.

Living in Tokyo is much livelier than in Osaka for me and I do not mind the crowded city that distracts me from my sadness and unknown future.

Ignoring the past that has crept into my mind, I put up an old polaroid of myself on my new refrigerator. I paused and wondered if I should let this photo be here as a constant reminder of the photographer.

 

I turned and looked out of the window in my tiny living room.

Unlike my bedroom where I was lucky enough to get a view of the sky and not be completely blocked by another building, I could hardly tell day or night from where I am now.

 

What? It is so late already.

I looked at my wall clock: 8:30pm

All the unpacking and cleaning has made me lose track of time.

With my purse in hand, I left the rented apartment in an oversized t-shirt and a pair of baggy jeans. Humming to a tune, I walked to the subway station just 10 minutes away from my place.

 

The unbearable heat from Summer made me crave for some cold tantan ramen tonight.

My favorite shop popped into mind - the small eatery is unpretentious and not many tourists have discovered it, yet. I braced myself and alighted at the ever-crowded Shibuya station.

 

 

• B POV •

 

“STOP RUNNING!”

I am giving chase side by side with my partner after a group of men gathered outside the Shibuya 109 shopping mall. As a police inspector in this high traffic district, I am in my plain clothes and following an anonymous lead – a group of thugs are suspected of selling drugs to youngsters out of plain sight, brazenly defying the law.

Tonight is just another night where I downed a can of black coffee and prayed the caffeine can boost the speed of my movement.

 

To be honest, catching crooks is not the toughest part of the job as a law enforcer. It is the constant dodging of civilians that is the real challenge in this crowded city.

I lost count of the times my partner and I had to apologize as we jostled through a sea of locals and tourists while trying not to lose track of our target.

 

“AH CRAP!”

Running through an alley lined with eateries, I bumped into a lady coming out of a shop.

Both of us fell on our backs from the heavy impact and groaned while passersby looked on.

“Kira! Go ahead! Ask for backup and don’t stop the chase!” I instructed my partner who was visibly torn between stopping to help us up and continuing the pursue.

“Got it, Inspector Moon!” My partner in justice nodded and sped up to make up for the lost time, leaving the lady and I behind.

 

 

I turned my attention back to the civilian immediately and when I tried to reach out to her, I winced.

An ugly deep bruise has formed on my forearm where I hit a lamp post. I saw some blood from a mild abrasion on my wound but in my line of work, this is nothing worth alarming for.

I ignored the pain and moved forward to help the lady up.

 

“I am so sorry, Miss.” I took out my Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department badge and introduced myself as Inspector Moon Byulyi. “I apologize for my carelessness. I was going after a group of suspects when we collided.” I bowed deeply as I felt terrible for ruining this lady’s night.

“It’s okay. I’m fine- Ow!”

I shot my head up and noticed the look of distress on this lady. Immediately, I started to check for signs of injuries.

“Miss! Your elbow is bleeding. I’m taking you to the nearest clinic!” With the map of this district memorized at the back of my mind when I was deployed to this unit after graduating from the police academy, I knew the hospital would not be an ideal choice given the distance we need to cover.

 

 

• Y POV •

 

Everything happened in a whirlwind.

The police inspector wearing a high ponytail to keep her blonde hair away neatly, used her navy-blue handkerchief to tie around my bleeding elbow as a temporary solution.

Before I could say anything else, she wrapped her arm around me protectively and led me out of the hidden alley. If I say I was not feeling embarrassed from our commotion, I must be lying.

But somehow, being held by her was comforting and I forgot about the pain in my elbow, and behind.

In our closeness, I studied her serious expression and got distracted by her lips and perfume.

 

 

We reached the nearest clinic after going through the famous Shibuya Crossing and upon entering, the lady behind the registration counter instantly recognized her. I guess she must be a regular here, given her dangerous line of work.

 

Luckily, the clinic was not crowded tonight and I managed to be called in for consultation within 15 minutes of waiting time.

“Miss Kim Yongsun?” A nurse opened one of the doctors’ room doors.

 

“I will wait for you here.” The blonde inspector lady had helped me up from a bench and walked me to the doctor’s room. I thanked her and stepped in, suddenly feeling alone.

Without her around to comfort me, the physical pain I am experiencing became stronger.

I informed the doctor truthfully of my pain and discomfort while the nurse helped me to clean my wound and put on a bandage. I hastily put the soiled handkerchief in my pocket before the doctor gave me an injection.

 

I stepped out of the room and the inspector was leaning against the wall beside the door, with her arms folded and a look of worry on her face. She helped me back to the waiting bench and went to the counter without saying a word.

With th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter