Chapter Seven: A Fight

The Legend of Zelda: Real Courage

"Stupid, stupid, stupid!" Lila muttered to herself. "He was just a boy. You've seen boys before." She was so frustrated, she didn't notice the people she ran into as she hurried toward the mine's entrance. Most lost her in the crowd, but then she walked headlong into a stocky form.

"Sorry," Lila muttered. She moved to get out of the way, but the person grabbed her shoulders. He got in her face, squeezing her.

"What was that? I didn't quite catch it," he said, a smirk playing on his lips.

"I said I'm sorry for running into you," Lila answered in a monotone. The massive flow of people continued around them, no one fully noticing what was happening.

The guy smiled. "That's better, girly. How about you and me spend some time alone?"

For the first time, Lila looked into his brown eyes that matched his shaggy hair. Her nose twitched, showing her annoyance. "Not interested."

"You dare talk back to me?"

"Yeah, I do."

The guy's smirk dropped. "You're gonna pay for that, girly."

"You wanna bet?"

Before Lila could react, the guy hauled her over his massive shoulder. She gasped as the breath was pushed out of her lungs. She struggled, but his strong arms kept her from escaping or reaching her weapons.

"Not so tough now, are ya?" he boasted.

"Put me down!" Lila shouted. People were starting to notice now, but the guy walked out of the village without resistance.

"Let's get a few things straight," he said. "My name is Ruggy, and you're in my territory. You do anything to make me mad, and I make sure you regret it."

"You're the one who's going to regret this," Lila growled. Ruggy patted her on the , sending a disgusted chill along her spine.

"I like 'em feisty," he said with a chuckle.

Once they broke free of the crowd, they went inside a small shack a bit away from the town. Ruggy dropped Lila to the ground so forcefully, she was stunned for a moment. He rummaged for something in the piles of what looked like trash. He came back with a coil of rope.

"You going to do this willingly," Ruggy sneered, "or do you prefer to be bound?"

Lila kicked him in the groin and leaped to her feet. He staggered back, dropping the rope. Just in case, she readied her sword and leveled it at him.

“Neither,” she said in answer to his question. “I’m leaving now.”

Before she could, though, the door banged open. Her eyes widened when she saw who it was.

“Let her go,” the boy said without a hint of fear in his voice. It was the skinny boy from the bomb shop.

"Lila, there you are!" Mori flew inside the shack to her side, completely ignoring the men. “Are you okay?

“I have everything under control,” Lila said to both Mori and the boy.

The boy lowered his guard. “Yeah, I guess you do,” he said sheepishly, eyeing her sword.

There was an awkward silence broken only by Ruggy’s pained groans.

“Um,” Lila said cautiously, “you’re blocking the door.”

“Oh! Sorry.” The boy stepped aside and gestured with his hands. “After you.”

With eyebrows raised, Lila left the shack with Mori following. Ruggy tried to reach out to her, but he was in too much pain to be a bother. The boy followed Mori out of the shack as well.

“Thanks,” Lila said when the door closed.

“What for?” the boy asked.

“For trying,” Lila answered. She held out her hand to shake. “My name’s Lila. What’s yours?”

“Zale,” the boy said. His blue eyes sparkled as he smiled. “Nice to meet you, Lila.” Mori was looking nervously between Zale and Lila but didn't say anything, and Lila didn't ask.

"I gotta get back to the shop," Zale said, ignorant of the keese's fretting. "You won't get yourself into any more trouble, will you?"

Lila smirked. "Oh, I will. Trust me."

Zale looked at her funny, not sure if she was joking. "Well, if you feel the need to rest tonight, you know where to find me."

Lila felt the blush returning. "Oh, right. The hot spring."

"But only tonight, I leave tomorrow."

"You don't live here?"

Zale shook his head. "Nah, just passing through on my rounds. I help the family that runs the bomb shop every now and then, and they give me a place to stay."

"I see," Lila said slowly. "I can't promise I'll be there, but I'll definitely try." For the first time, she gave him a sincere smile.

Zale smiled back and gave a small wave. "That's all that matters. I hope to see you again, Lila."

"Goodbye, Zale," Lila replied, backing away toward the mine. After three steps, she spun on her toes and took off in a brisk walk. She glanced back to see Zale watching her leave and smiled to herself.

"What do you think you're doing?" Mori asked, breaking Lila's bliss.

"Just talking to someone, obviously," Lila replied.

"Do you know who that is?"

"A traveler named Zale. What's the big deal?"

"A traveler named Prince Zale."

Lila stopped in her tracks. "Wait, what? You're not serious!"

"Yes, serious."

"No wonder his name sounded familiar! How can he walk around Kakariko Village without anyone saying anything?"

"Well, most of Hyrule doesn't know he exists. When the queen bore a male child, the king was disgraced and denied his existence."

"Because of the legends," Lila said for him.

"Yes. Only queens can rule Hyrule." Mori giggled, momentarily interrupting his story.

"What's so funny?"

"'Rule Hyrule.' It rhymes."

Lila swiped at him with her fist. "Get on with it."

"Fine. Well, the queen died in childbirth with Prince Zale, so the king searched for a new bride. He found one a few years ago, but she also died. The reason we know about the Prince is that he was born—"

"Exactly the same time as me, I know," Lila finished. "I just forgot, okay? Let's go get those stupid goblets."

"Gauntlets."

"Whatever!