Chapter 03: Dress up

Fake it till you make it

They got ready to leave around early noon. It surprised Atsumu since the location Sakusa had given him was a fair distance away and he knew that if it could be avoided the spiker hated being late. This time however he seemed to almost purposefully stall.

 

"Well, I best get ready so that we can leave whenever," the blonde announced as he got up.

 

The ace barely acknowledged it and just gave a short hum. Atsumu couldn't tell whether he had actually heard him or not and simply ventured out to find the bathroom, his bag in hand.

 

The setter was by no means an expert in style and fashion but he did take a mild interest in trying various things to wear and experimenting with his outfits.

For this trip, he had a plan. Every day he'd wear something a little bit more outrageous in the eyes of someone with an old-fashioned mindset.

 

Starting with something basic, and classic but with a modern touch and the potential to become a trap if he would post it on his Instagram in the right light and pose.

He put on black pants that were made from a light airy fabric, with subtle pockets, floating just the right amount of loosely around his legs.

 

They got wider toward the bottom adding a slight flamboyant touch. Nothing too provocative.

The trick of this outfit was the sweater. It was a black turtle neck and a very tight fit. It was something Sakusa would wear sometimes as well just that his weren't meant to show off as much of his figure as Atsumu's did.

 

The likeness was intentional to present them as a couple from the very start, a milder version of the pyjamas in a way.

 

To top it all off he added the kind of accessories he saved for photo shoots and to show off at fancy events. Flashy earnings that were simple in design but not nearly as subtle as a simple ring. And certainly, he would be doomed if he'd only have one piercing per ear.

 

The setter grinned at himself as he looked at his reflection. He wore black fidget rings on both hands and with a few quick movements added a subtle, straight, black eyeliner to the final picture.

 

Perfect.

 

He was fairly pleased with himself and grinned from ear to ear knowing that this was just the beginning. The truth was Omi was right, pissing off conservative s was one of his favourite hobbies.

 

He probably would have done him the favour even without anything in return yet he couldn't let him win so easily.

Besides, he had the feeling that Omi preferred it this way if the relationship was purely transactional for the time being.

 

Atsumu didn't know how to feel about that.

Personally, he thought the deal was perfect. Sakusa was a friend, even if a very grumpy one at that, his teammate and attractive too so flirting with him for the sake of annoying his parents would be a piece of cake. After all, he had plenty of practice from teasing him at interviews or sponsor events.

 

He was just a bit wary of how the ace felt about it.

 

He bit his lip, chewing on it, forgetting that he had the fidget rings to avoid such behaviour.

 

Sakusa often felt uncomfortable around others and Atsumu wasn't exactly known to be easy company, that much was sure.

 

He sighed again, shouldered his bag, and went to see if Sakusa was ready to go.

 

The dark eyes of the spiker zeroed in on him as soon as he set for into the living room again. His expression shifted from shocked to a scowl that Atsumu couldn't quite read.

"What? Jealous that I look absolutely stunning or just speechless?" he teased with his usual charm, and as usual got no decent reply as the other turned away.

 

"I'll prepare as well. We can leave in about 15 minutes."

 

"Fine by me."

He didn't know yet how this would play out or how his family would react. He felt fairly prepared for this and confident in his abilities but in all honesty, it felt a bit like he was walking into a forest blindfolded, constantly wary of the possibility of walking into a tree.

 

He knew close to nothing about the spiker let alone his family. All that he was aware of were their outdated ideas and apparently ignorant and mean-spirited attempts to scare people away. He knew that they were fairly wealthy and that's it.

 

Sakusa had a sister and a brother. He hadn't said my h about them so Atsumu assumed they either weren't coming or weren't the problem. He knew that Komori would attend but wasn't sure about his parents.

 

In the end, it was barely enough to guess.

 

Sakusa mentioned his strict upbringing only briefly but Atsumu had a slight inkling that as soon as he'd crossed the doorstep he'd have broken already ten rules yet when he asked him about it Sakusa said not to worry, that was the idea. After all, he wanted them to be bothered and not to earn their respect.

 

He was right, of course...

 

-------------

 

"Omi... This is not a house."

 

Sakusa glanced at him from the side, his hands clenched into fists and hidden inside the pockets of his dark coat. His dark eyes were vigilant and cold as he followed Atsumu's gaze. The closer they got to the house of his parents the more his tension had grown.

 

"This is a mansion! You told me your parents were wealthy, not rich enough to buy me and my whole family!" the setter complained.

 

Sakusa rolled his eyes.

"You're exaggerating."

 

"Hardly." he insisted.

 

"Is this a problem?" Sakusa asked.

There was a ting of nervousness adding to the already wild storm inside him. Would Atsumu back out now? Didn't he want to do this anymore?

 

He gulped. Sakusa didn't know how to feel about it if Atsumu would cancel the plan now. He wouldn't blame him. It was probably better if he didn't drag Atsumu down with him. He shouldn't have to endure—

 

The setter's boisterous laugh made Sakusa jump as the blonde suddenly seemed ecstatic. Did he become mad?

He looked at him in horror.

 

"This is gonna be more interesting than anticipated. Let's go, Omi!"

 

Atsumu grinned widely. Sakusa was stunned as he observed the mischievous glint in his eyes. He couldn't understand how Atsumu wasn't terrified when he was practically paralyzed by fear. Maybe he truly was mad.

 

"Oh, uh can I touch you? Don't worry I showered, I won't touch your skin, and I'll back off as soon as we're out of sight."

 

He nodded slowly but couldn't help but flinch when Atsumu's arm wrapped around his. His touch was gentle and careful. He made sure to keep a certain distance between them while looking as close as possible.

 

The front door opened revealing a lavish hallway and one of the housekeepers Sakusa had known for years. They were friendly and always made sure to gift him sweets when his parents treated him harshly. Now they looked at him and Atsumu with curiosity in their eyes and a smile spreading on their face.

 

The words of congratulations were already on their lips when the voice of his mother echoed through the room. She rushed over from the living room at the sound of the door, thrilled to see her son. If only this excitement would last when she saw them.

 

But of course, it didn't. Her eyes fell on Atsumu and the smile turned into a scowl. There was so much judgment in her eyes she didn't need to say a single word to convey how she felt about this but of course, she wasn't nice enough to grant them her silence.

 

"I didn't know you'd bring guests Kiyoomi."

She conveniently forgot that he told her of course.

Her voice resembled an icy blade as if she intended to cut the connection between them this instant. She crossed her arms over her chest and looked Atsumu up and down, lingering at the makeup and earrings, and pressing her lips tighter together with everything she didn't approve of.

 

"Mother, this is Miya Atsumu, my boyfriend. I hope you will welcome him since he's part of the family now," he replied equally as coldly.

 

"Not sure, I would say it like that."

She was never subtle about her disdain but the mask dropped incredibly can't today. No more games of pretend.

Was it the warning in Sakusa's voice that made her react that way? An attempt to show him that no she would not accept him no matter what or even so much as treat him nicely?

Or was it Atsumu himself? who admittedly dressed much more provocatively than anyone he brought home before.

 

"Oh of course, how thoughtless of me. I haven't even introduced myself. As Omi said I'm Miya Atsumu but please call me Atsumu. I have a twin and am used to it to avoid confusion," Atsumu chimed in as if oblivious to the tension.

 

First name, so informal. They would hate it.

Internally Sakusa smiled watching his mother getting increasingly more uncomfortable by nothing but Atsumu's presence.

She practically flinched as he addressed him with his typical nickname and for the first time, Sakusa was willing to admit that he liked it.

 

"Anyways, it is so nice to meet ya Sakusa-san."

He laid on the dialect heavily and extended a hand which she ignored. Aside from looking at him as though he was a dead rodent their cat had left in front of her feet she didn't acknowledge him at all.

 

"So how long will your... friend be staying, Kiyoomi?"

 

"Boyfriend." Sakusa corrected. "And he'll stay as long as I do. If you have a problem with that we'll leave this instance."

 

"Don't be like that baby. I want to get to know yer family," the setter cooed softly, then he turned to his mother again.

"He keeps everything about you such a mystery I guess he was always like that, wasn't he?"

 

She took a deep breath to calm herself before looking at Sakusa with pleading eyes.

"Does it really have to be like this? I prepared—"

 

"It does," Sakusa insisted.

His eyes narrowed and he almost wished she'd just sent them away so they could return home and forget about this whole thing but of course, she wouldn't. The preparations had taken too much time and she wanted him there and most importantly she couldn't convince him to break up with Atsumu if they left now.

 

"Your father will not approve of this."

 

"He'll survive it."

 

For a moment, they still battled each other in a staring contest before she sighed heavily and stepped aside.

"Fine then," she spat out. " Go inside and get settled. Your friend looks strong, why doesn't he bring your luggage to your rooms?"

 

"Room, we only need one. And why make him do it when usually this is done by the attendants?"

Every day here would be a battle and she wasn't willing to give in even an inch.

 

His mother was getting flustered in her rage and was about to spew some nonsensical argument at them when Atsumu saw the perfect opportunity to dig his grave just a little deeper.

"That's no problem, Darling. After all, I know how much you love watching when I use my muscles."

He winked at him and Sakusa was certain his cheeks never had changed colours from pale white to red so quickly. He almost choked on air but got hold of himself just in time. His mother had no such composure and quickly called over an attendant to handle their stuff.

 

"Thank you, Mother," he said as nonchalantly as possible while Atsumu feigned sadness at the lost opportunity but willingly let Sakusa guide him inside and upstairs.

 

-----------

 

The room he led him to was odd. Clean and white almost sterile looking, with little decor and only the occasional spots of colour.

 

"Omi if yer gonna tell me that this used to be your childhood bedroom I'm gonna weep. It's sad."

 

The taller looked at him unimpressed. He thanked the attendants for making such quick work of their luggage before turning to Atsumu again.

"It's not. I have no room in this house anymore. This is just a guest room I use when being forced to spend the night here," he explained.

 

Atsumu looked confused as he let himself fall onto the ned. The only bed. Sakusa tried not to think about what that implied.

 

"Then where is yer childhood bedroom? Surely ya had one. They didn't let ya sleep on the floor, did they?! Because that'd be—"

 

"Yes, I had one." he cut off his ramblings.

"It was cleared the day I came out. They disowned me for a week and decided since they didn't have their youngest son anymore there was no reason to keep my stuff. It was all thrown away."

 

"That's... awful."

It was the first time he heard Atsumu speak so quietly almost softly. He just shrugged his shoulder. It's not like this was a secret but since he never talked much with anyone especially not about his family it might as well have been one. Talking about it with Atsumu now felt... different.

 

"I got them back for it," he continued. "The week they kicked me out I went couch surfing with my best friend at the time. We ed every chance we got so if at all they have driven me right into his arms."

 

Atsumu burst out laughing.

"That's hilarious. But please tell me he was in on it."

 

"He was... after the first time. I didn't want to use him like that. Still, I'm not proud of it. After a while, he asked for something more serious and I turned him down. We weren't friends after that anymore."

Why was he telling him this? This part certainly felt like it should be a secret yet he talked so freely when it was just Atsumu with him as though...

As though what? As though he could trust him?

 

"What a jerk!" Atsumu huffed.

 

Sakusa rolled his eyes at the setter's childish way of thinking.

"He wasn't. It was my fault. We could have been friends for longer if I hadn't opened that door and allowed him to catch feelings."

 

Atsumu stared at him dumbfounded.

"And here I thought you were supposed to be yeh smart one. Omi, you act as though catching feeling worked like a cold and you coughed at him."

 

Sakusa flinched.

 

"Sorry, bad analogy. All I'm saying is that I never thought you'd be stupid enough to blame yerself for how someone else feels. Ya always seem so aloof. So above everyone."

 

Sakusa didn't know what to reply to that and simply turned away.

"Shut up, Miya."

 

Atsumu clicked his tongue.

"Aw, you like me, admitted!" he teased.

 

Sakusa ignored him.

"Dinner is ready in a few hours. If you don't mind let's stay here for now. Keeping up the whole lovers' act is going to be exhausting enough later."

 

Atsumu sighed but agreed, his eyes strayed to the ceiling and he stared at something in the distance that Sakusa couldn't see. Was he already regretting his decision to come here? The worst hadn't even started...

 

He quickly got up before he could overthink it too much.

"I'll quickly take a shower. There is a bathroom connected to this room and another down the hall."

 

"I'll take the one down the hall then," Atsumu replied and got up swiftly, without Sakusa having to say anything.

 

He grabbed his shower products, a set of new clothes and of course, makeup. He was going to have fun with this.

-------------------------------

 

Podfic/Audiobook/Video version - Chapter 03