CHAPTER TWENTY

Hellfire Oasis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

ENIGMA 

 

 

 

 

There's is no force on earth more powerful than a mother's love.

 

The news of Yerim's awakening rippled through the realms, plunging its inhabitants into a state of uneasy anticipation. Despite the looming threat of another catastrophe and the lingering desire of many to eliminate Yerim, Irene remained steadfast in her determination to protect her daughter at any cost. Trust was a luxury she could ill afford, suspicion tainting every interaction as she guarded Yerim with a mother's fierce devotion.

 

Amidst the chaos, Irene found herself grappling with the bewildering transformation unfolding within her daughter. Yerim's sudden shifts in behavior confounded her, leaving her adrift in a sea of uncertainty. Yet, even in the depths of her confusion, Irene's resolve remained unyielding, her unwavering love for Yerim serving as her guiding light in the darkness that threatened to engulf them both.

 

“Mommy, I'm sleepy..” Yerim suddenly said to her, her voice small and tired. She sought comfort from her mother, her tone reminiscent of a child longing for solace.

 

Yerim spent the entire day immersed in play, her boundless energy propelling her from one adventure to the next. But as the day wore on and exhaustion began to take its toll, Yerim's playful demeanor would slowly soften, her lively spirit giving way to the quiet longing for her mother's comforting embrace. Without fail, whenever fatigue crept in, Yerim would seek out her mother, her arms reaching out for the warmth and security of Irene's loving cuddles, a simple yet profound expression of the unbreakable bond between mother and child.

 

“Okay baby, sleep now..” Irene replied, her voice warm and soothing as she gestured for Yerim to come to her. Yerim beamed at her mother and happily walked over, settling comfortably in her lap. 

 

They sat in Irene's chamber, the soft glow of a lamp casting a warm light over the room. Irene paused from her work, her heart swelling with love for her daughter, as she held her close, cherishing this moment of quiet togetherness.

 

Since waking from her slumber, Yerim had become remarkably clingy, seeking solace in the comforting presence of her mother and her Seulgi unnie. It seemed as though she couldn't bear to be apart from them, and if her desires weren't met, she wasn't shy about expressing her frustration through tantrums and tears. This sudden shift in behavior left Irene and Seulgi navigating a delicate balance between attending to Yerim's every needs.

 

Just like the other day, Yerim's clinginess reached a peak when she woke up to find her mother absent. In reality, Irene had slipped away to the King's palace for a crucial discussion with Azazel about the recent catastrophe Yerim had inadvertently caused. Worried that her daughter might overhear sensitive information, Irene chose to have the conversation away from her.

 

Meanwhile, Azazel's minions had unearthed another feathered wing from an angel deep within the forest. This discovery reignited Irene's fury; she had believed that angels were extinct in the realm of Hell. Determined to track down this celestial being, Irene issued a stern command for her minions to intensify their efforts in locating the elusive creature.

 

“Find them, Azazel, and bring them to me,” Irene commanded, her eyes ablaze with fury.

 

“Yes, your majesty,” Azazel replied, bowing respectfully before her.

 

Suddenly, Wendy burst into the room, panic written all over her face as she glanced at Irene. Instantly, Irene felt a surge of fear grip her heart, knowing instinctively that this pertained to her daughter. She had entrusted Wendy, Joy, and Seulgi with the task of guarding Yerim in her absence, fearing that her daughter's untamed powers could wreak havoc once again, if left unchecked.

 

“Your majesty,” Wendy greeted immediately, bowing before Irene.

 

Irene approached Wendy, concern evident in her expression. “What's wrong, Seungwan? Why are you here?”

 

“It's Yerim, Your majesty,” Wendy replied, wincing slightly. 

 

Irene's concern deepened. “What happened to my daughter, Seungwan?”

 

“Yerim... she's throwing another tantrum,” Wendy explained with a heavy sigh. “She won't stop crying, and she's broken all your belongings and mirrors in your room because she couldn't see you when she woke up. She's been looking for you, Your majesty.”

 

Irene, upon hearing Wendy's explanation, felt a surge of urgency grip her heart. She couldn't bear to delay any longer; her daughter needed her comfort and reassurance. With a determined nod to Azazel, who bowed respectfully in response, Irene wasted no time. In an instant, she summoned her powers and teleported back to her palace, her sole focus on reaching her distraught daughter as quickly as possible.

 

As Irene hastened towards their room, her heart sank at the piercing sound of her daughter's anguished cries reverberating through the halls, a haunting melody of distress that tugged at her very soul. With Wendy trailing closely behind, Irene's steps quickened, driven by an urgency fueled by maternal instinct.

 

Bursting through the door, Irene was met with a scene of utter chaos. Their once serene chamber lay in ruins, the air thick with the scent of shattered glass and the remnants of scattered belongings. Broken mirrors glinted ominously in the dim light, a stark contrast to the peaceful sanctuary it had once been. Despite the devastation before her, Irene's focus remained unwavering, her eyes locking onto her distraught daughter, her heart aching with the desperate need to soothe her child's anguish.

 

“Please, stop crying now, Yerim–ah,” Seulgi pleaded softly, her voice laced with concern as she reached out to comfort the sobbing young devil. “Your mother hasn't left you, okay? Wendy has already called her, and she'll be here any minute.”

 

Seulgi and Joy worked tirelessly to soothe Yerim, who clung desperately to her Seulgi unnie, seeking solace in the safety of her embrace, her tear-streaked face buried against the older girl's neck. With tender care, Seulgi whispered words of comfort, her gentle voice a soothing melody amidst Yerim's distress.

 

Meanwhile, Joy stood by their side, her touch light as she gently rubbed the young devil's back, offering silent support in their shared effort to ease Yerim's anguish. Their combined efforts were solely focused on calming the distraught young devil, their attention consumed by the task at hand, unaware of Irene's silent presence in the room, her heart heavy with the ache of a mother witnessing her child's pain.

 

“My love...” Irene's gentle voice permeated the room, its warmth and reassurance instantly capturing the attention of the three devils.

 

Yerim, still nestled against Seulgi, perked up at the sound of her mother's voice. With tears still streaming down her cheeks, she disentangled herself from Seulgi's embrace and rushed into her mother's waiting arms.

 

“Mommy!” Yerim cried out, her voice filled with a mixture of relief and longing, as she threw herself into Irene's embrace. She held onto her mother tightly, seeking comfort and security in her loving embrace, as if afraid to let go for even a moment.

 

“Why are you crying, baby? I promised you I'd never leave you. I was just taking care of something, somewhere else,” Irene explained gently, her voice soothing as she spoke to her tearful daughter.

 

“No, you left me, M–mom. Don't l–leave me! T–take me with you wherever you go,” Yerim struggled to say between sobs, her breaths coming in ragged gasps.

 

Irene couldn't bear to see her daughter in such distress, so she tenderly cupped Yerim's cheek, leaning in to plant a soft kiss on her forehead. The kiss held a special magic reserved only for her daughter, and within moments, Yerim began to calm, the soothing effect washing over her like a gentle breeze. Her breathing steadied, and the tears ceased, replaced by gentle hiccups as she gazed into her mother's eyes, still clinging tightly to her, finding solace and reassurance in Irene's loving embrace.

 

“Okay, I'm sorry baby. Mommy will never leave you again,” Irene murmured softly, enveloping Yerim in a warm embrace, determined to reassure her daughter of her unwavering presence and love.

 

Seulgi, Joy, and Wendy exchanged weary glances, their exhaustion palpable as they struggled to comprehend Yerim's behavior since she woke from her slumber state. Yerim had become a handful, her antics testing the patience of everyone in the palace. Constant tears and chaotic outbursts had become the norm, leaving the trio drained from the constant vigilance required to keep her safe.

 

Yerim's mischievous streak knew no bounds; she played pranks on the devils and engaged in endless games of hide and seek with her guards. Each day seemed to present new challenges, and despite their best efforts, Seulgi, Wendy, and Joy found themselves caught in a relentless cycle of exhaustion as they navigated the unpredictable whims of their young charge.

 

The queen's command to guard Yerim at all times weighed heavily on them, as it was clear she trusted no one else with her daughter's safety. Determined to fulfill their duty, Seulgi, Wendy and Joy spared no effort in ensuring Yerim remained protected, even amidst her unpredictable antics.

 

Despite Yerim's sudden changes in behavior, her sweetness remained unchanged. She still had a penchant for hugs and kisses, showering Seulgi, Joy, and Wendy with affection whenever she had the chance. Amidst the chaos and tantrums, Yerim's love and warmth served as a constant reminder of the bond they shared, offering moments of solace amidst the challenges of guarding her.

 

Seulgi found herself perplexed by Yerim's sudden change in behavior, particularly considering their previously strained relationship before Yerim's slumber state. It was as if Yerim had forgotten all about their misunderstandings, now seeking Seulgi's company with genuine affection and enthusiasm for playful activities like drawing and painting. While Yerim had always displayed sweetness towards Seulgi, this time it felt distinctly different, leaving Seulgi both touched and bewildered by the unexpected turn of events. 

 

Yerim's attachment seemed to have intensified; she would sulk whenever Seulgi had to leave the queen's palace. Forbidden by her mother to venture beyond the palace grounds, Yerim grew even more frustrated, often crying for Seulgi's absence. Sensing her sensitivity, Seulgi did everything in her power to soothe her, offering comfort and reassurance to the distressed Yerim. But Seulgi couldn't shake the feeling that there was something underlying Yerim's actions, something she couldn't quite grasp.

 

Also, Yerim's newfound interest in art fascinated Seulgi, Although she had always admired art, Yerim had never shown much interest in creating it herself. Yet now, she eagerly requested drawing sessions with Seulgi, especially when Yerim expressed a desire to draw things from her mind, providing detailed descriptions that Seulgi diligently brought to life on canvas. Despite her confusion, Seulgi was more than happy to indulge her younger sister's requests.

 

Just like the other day, when Yerim wanted Seulgi to draw something, but this time it wasn't a place; it was a woman's face.

 

“Unnie, can you draw something for me again?” Yerim asked as she snuggled up to Seulgi, her eyes pleading with puppy-like innocence.

 

Seulgi, engrossed in her work, was interrupted when Yerim barged into her room and immediately sought comfort in her embrace.

 

“Yerim-ah, can I do it later?” Seulgi began to decline, but halted as she saw tears welling up in Yerim's eyes, her heart softening. She couldn't resist her sister's distress, despite still feeling uneasy about the color of Yerim's eyes.

 

“Okay, what would you like me to draw?” Seulgi relented, prompting a grin from Yerim.

 

"I want you to draw a woman's face, unnie," Yerim said, catching Seulgi off guard with her request.

 

"A woman's face?" Seulgi echoed, momentarily surprised, before nodding in agreement. As Yerim described the features of the woman's face, Seulgi focused intently, sketching the details with care.

 

After completing the sketch, Seulgi furrowed her eyebrows, studying the unfamiliar woman's face with a hint of confusion reflected in her expression. The image before her seemed to hold a mysterious significance, leaving Seulgi intrigued by Yerim's unexpected request.

 

"Unnie, you're amazing! You really captured every detail of this woman's face perfectly," Yerim beamed, her admiration evident as she kissed Seulgi on the cheek, her eyes sparkling with delight as she admired the sketch.

 

"Who is this woman, Yerim?" Seulgi asked, still unable to comprehend the situation, her confusion deepening as she searched Yerim's eyes for answers, only to be met with a mischievous grin.

 

"Let's just say, she's the woman of my dreams," Yerim replied with a cryptic smile, leaving Seulgi with a sense of unease. There was something in Yerim's expression that hinted at hidden meanings, leaving Seulgi even more puzzled and curious about the enigmatic woman in the sketch.

 

And also Yerim's insistence on sleeping in her room, which occasionally frustrated Irene, but they eventually found themselves all sleeping together in Seulgi's room. Irene's decision to stay with her daughter brought Seulgi immense happiness, especially when they could steal quiet moments for kisses while Yerim slept.

 

Although they couldn't openly express their feelings due to their circumstances, Irene and Seulgi shared a silent understanding. They cherished these stolen moments of intimacy, finding solace in each other's presence amidst Yerim's unpredictable behavior.

 

Irene longed to confide in her daughter about her feelings for Seulgi, but hesitated due to Yerim's sudden regression to a childlike state. While Irene cherished her daughter's affection and clinginess, she couldn't shake the worry over Yerim's condition, wondering what had transpired during her slumber state to bring about such a profound change. The weight of her concern weighed heavily on Irene's heart, overshadowing her desire to share her own feelings with her daughter.

 

“Are you comfortable?” Irene asked her daughter, who was nestled in her lap. Despite Yerim being an adult now, Irene still cherished these moments when her daughter sought comfort from her.

 

Yerim grinned at her mother, her small teeth peeking through, as she nodded in response, eliciting a warm smile from Irene, the simple exchange of affection bringing a sense of peace amidst the turmoil of their lives.

 

“Mommy kiss..” Yerim requested, and Irene complied, leaning in to kiss her daughter's lips and wrap her arms around her daughter.

 

“I love you, baby,” Irene whispered, feeling Yerim's hand on her cheeks as her daughter slowly closed her eyes. 

 

Irene's gaze never wavered from her daughter's red eyes, a constant reminder of the unsettling change that had come over Yerim since her awakening from slumber. While Yerim's behavior resembled that of a child, her fiery red eyes remained a permanent fixture, adding to Irene's growing unease and unanswered questions about her daughter's condition.

 

 

Despite Irene's efforts to remove the redness from Yerim's eyes, even utilizing her special powers, all attempts failed. The crimson hue of Yerim's eyes instilled a sense of unease and fear among those inside the palace, serving as a stark reminder of the catastrophic events caused by Yerim, a topic forbidden to be discussed within the palace walls.

 

But amidst the uncertainty and fear, one thing remained steadfast: Irene's unwavering determination to protect her daughter at all costs. With a fierce resolve burning in her heart, Irene stood as a beacon of strength and reassurance, her protective instincts sharpened by the bond between mother and child.

 

 

 

———

 

 

Seraphine's smile widened as she gazed at Jinyoung, feeling a newfound sense of ease with his presence in her palace. Though once filled with apprehension, she now welcomed him confidently, her demeanor unshaken by his stern exterior.

 

“What are you smiling at?” Jinyoung snapped, his brows furrowing in his typical stern manner, his demeanor giving little indication of softening.

 

“I had a good dream, Jinyoung,” Seraphine replied, maintaining her smile despite the intensity of his gaze, her response infused with a subtle defiance that mirrored her newfound confidence.

 

Ever since the news of Yerim waking up, Seraphine had been experiencing nothing but good dreams.

 

“And I think my dreams might finally come true, Jinyoung,” Seraphine said giddily, her eyes shining with anticipation. Jinyoung chuckled darkly, his demeanor tinged with skepticism.

 

“If you think Yerim will come to you, good luck, because Yerim is different now,” Jinyoung replied, strolling through her garden with an air of confidence.

 

“I know, Jinyoung. Yerim is like a child now; I can easily persuade her,” Seraphine insisted, her confidence unwavering despite Jinyoung's laughter.

 

“Yerim was so clingy to her mother, throwing tantrums whenever her mother was not around, and I don't think you can easily persuade her, Seraphine,” Jinyoung explained, smirking knowingly at her, his words laced with a hint of amusement.

 

Jinyoung observed the happenings with Irene and Yerim in the palace, noting the tight security measures in place, especially around Yerim, which posed a challenge for him to execute his plans. Despite getting caught by Joy once, he was fortunate that she believed his alibi. The atmosphere in the queen's palace was tense, particularly with Yerim's awakening. The queen harbored fears about her daughter's potential to unleash immense power again, possibly leading to another slumber or worse, permanent sleep. To prevent such outcomes, she commanded her trusted devils to guard and protect Yerim, a task that included his girlfriend Wendy, who adamantly refused to leave Yerim's side.

 

Speaking of Wendy, something had indeed shifted in their relationship. They found themselves constantly at odds, with Wendy often disappearing without explanation, leaving Jinyoung frustrated and bewildered. The mere thought of Wendy being with someone else ignited a fire of jealousy within him; he couldn't bear the idea of losing her to anyone else.

 

“What's your problem now, Jinyoung?” Seraphine asked, annoyance evident in her gaze. “Is this what you want right? To get Yerim so you can carry out your plan to kill Irene?”

 

Jinyoung remained silent, continuing to stroll around her garden, while Seraphine followed, fearing he might destroy her precious flowers again.

 

With a deep sigh, Seraphine cast an annoyed look at Jinyoung. “Are you and Wendy still not okay?” she began. “Wendy is a distraction to you, Jinyoung. You're losing focus because of her.”

 

Jinyoung stopped abruptly, his glare piercing as he fixed his gaze on her, but Seraphine merely chuckled in response.

 

“What? I'm just telling the truth, Jinyoung,” Seraphine said, shrugging her shoulders. “I think it's time you followed her, stalked her to see where she always goes when she disappears. You have the power, Jinyoung, use it.”

 

As Seraphine's words lingered in the air, Jinyoung found himself entangled in a web of conflicting thoughts. He had always trusted Wendy implicitly, but the seeds of doubt planted by Seraphine's suggestion took root in his mind. The weight of uncertainty pressed upon him, urging him to take action. With a heavy heart, he resolved to follow Wendy, not out of suspicion, but out of a desperate need to ease the turmoil brewing within him.

 

 

—————

 

 

Joy sighed, her gaze fixed on Yerim and Stratus as they strolled around the expansive garden outside the queen's palace. Yerim seemed tireless, playing for hours without showing any signs of fatigue, while Joy longed for a moment of rest. However, she couldn't leave Yerim's side; it was her duty to guard her. Meanwhile, Yerim's mother and Seulgi had gone elsewhere, leaving her in charge. As for Wendy, her whereabouts remained a mystery, her habit of disappearing and reappearing akin to a mushroom popping out of nowhere.

 

“Yerim, aren't you tired?” Joy asked, her eyes never straying from the young devil.

 

“Nope,” Yerim grinned, her expression adorable as she continued to pedal her bike. Joy could only watch, unable to do anything else.

 

Joy moved closer to where Yerim was playing, a sense of apprehension lingering in her mind. The queen's threats still echoed in her head; she knew the consequences of failing to guard Yerim properly could be severe, despite the queen's trust in her. The constant fear of punishment never seemed to dissipate.

 

“Joy!” Yerim's loud shout snapped her attention back to the present. “This is for you!” Yerim pedaled her bike towards Joy, offering her a freshly picked sunflower from her mother's garden.

 

As Joy accepted the sunflower, panic surged through her veins. She k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter