Chapter 3

After Shool || Weeekly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No mom, I’m not going to wear my basketball uniform.” Zoa says over the video call, settling her phone down on her nightstand as she opens her big, shared closet with Soojin to find a convenient outfit. 

Today is the day. It’s the day of the evaluations. Zoa hasn’t been informed on whether it would only be the first phase today or the second as well but she assumes it will only be the first since making pairs for the second phase would take a while. She can’t say she’s too nervous. But there’s the normal amount of nervousness rushing through her veins and making her feel a little too shaky and stiff. 

She’s not sure of what to think about the evaluations today. She’s gone to most of the clubs existing out there with Jiwoo, to check out what they were about and if she was interested in them and she can say that she hasn’t found any club that could really fit her. Most of them were lame too, some of them were filled with way too many students or not cooperative students and some others were very disorganized or with no equipment at all even though there was obviously some needed so Zoa has crossed out all clubs in the list, coming down with the few safe choices left in her which are the dance club and the basketball club. Obviously she’s more into basketball so that’s her first choice as after all she has no clue of the dancing techniques out there so she’s pretty sure she will at it. She’s only going to join if she fails to join the basketball club and only because Jiwoo, Monday and Soeun are there. The more friends she has in a club, the better. 

Her parents have video called her just now because they wanted to wish her the best of all luck as well as see overall how their daughter has been doing. Sure, Zoa could hear out their advice just now and wear her basketball uniform she has from Mr. Choi’s training teen team but she’s not one to brag about something ⏤whatever that is⏤ so she refuses to accept the advice. Soojin has been sitting on her own bed, already dressed, waiting for her friend to get ready as the rest of their friends are already waiting by the gym. Of course she wouldn’t leave Zoa alone so she told the girls to wait for them by the gym. 

“I just want you to get some confidence, that's why I suggested it!” Zoa’s mother says. 

“Honey, you know our daughter. She doesn’t like bragging about things. She will fight for her place in that team without having to brag about her coach. Am I right, Hyewonie?” Zoa’s father says and she hums in response before she takes a pair of long loose red sports pants, her black nike shoes and a loose white t-shirt. 

“I guess these will do for now.” She simply says and shows her outfit to Soojin and then her parents. Her father does a thumbs up while her mother sighs sadly. 

“I wish you the best of luck. And don’t get hurt. If they don’t accept you in their team it’s their loss just so you know. Never beat up yourself about it because you deserve way better than a random college basketball team, you hear me young lady?” Zoa chuckles and nods her head. 

“Yes, mom.” She says softly as she takes the phone in her hands and sits down on her bed, just looking at her parents for a few seconds, trying to capture their happy smiles. Unfortunately for her, she’s not calling them as often as her mother would like but she’s not doing it on purpose. She truly is too busy catching up at her new classes and once she’s done she either has to visit new clubs to figure out what she likes or hang out with her friends. Then she needs to practice before she ends up returning to her room with Soojin, doing her night routine and sleeping it off. She misses them though, that’s for sure. She doesn’t have the time to really think too much of them or get too homesick but she surely does miss having them around and sometimes it feels a little too hard or still too foreign waking up to Soojin unnie instead of her parents. 

“I love you.” She tells them both. Zoa’s mother tears up as she hugs her husband, almost crying at her daughter’s words. 

“Aw I love you too honey! And I miss you so much!” Zoa’s mother says and Zoa giggles as her mother sends her a few flying kisses. 

“We both love you and miss you a lot. But don’t mind us. Have fun over there, alright?” Zoa’s father says now instead and she smiles and nods her head. 

“Alright. I have to go or else I’m gonna be running late. Talk to you later!” She says, waves goodbye at them and ends the call. She lets out a heavy long breath that she hasn’t noticed she’s been holding in as she ruffles her hair, her eyes getting watery. She was barely holding in her tears earlier because she didn’t want to worry her parents but now that they’re not watching her she surely wants to let it out. 

“You miss them. It’s ok. It’s normal.” Soojin says softly as she stands up from her spot and sits down next to her, rubbing her shoulder as she side hugs her to comfort her. 

“Yeah. I guess it is. But I guess I need this in order to grow up and become more independent, right?” Soojin nods her head slowly before she purses her lips in a bittersweet smile. 

“I’m sorry it has to be that way, but unfortunately some things are just this way. The hard way.” Zoa nods her head slowly before she wipes her tears and stands up, taking her clothes back in her hands and heading towards the bathroom without another word. 


[...]


She hasn’t talked to her unnieswhen they reached the gym. She only waved at them in a rush and quickly headed towards the benches wherein all students were waiting for their turn. She’s sat down on her own spot and has been shaking her feet up and down on their spot in a nervous way as she’s waited for her own turn. It’s going to take a long time and she feels like time is moving too slow, literally killing her and making her feel even more nervous. She doesn’t dare to look at her friends who are sitting at the bleachers right across from the bench she’s sitting on, not wanting to get distracted by their happy smiles and faces. There are very few students having come to see their friends participating in this phase of the evaluations and among those people Zoa’s loud friends have to be there too. She’s not ashamed of them though or anything of the short. If anything, she feels glad they’re there for her as she already feels their support even if she’s not interacting with them at all or looking at them. 

After about two hours of lots of failed attempts from countless of students to whom Zoa feels ashamed and embarrassed on their behalf as they’re surely humiliating themselves with how badly they’re performing it’s finally Zoa’s turn. Unlike lots of random students that brag about their skills or the connections they have to the team’s members, wearing popular basketball teams’ uniforms to pretend that they’re way too into the sport and too experienced but end up looking way too stupid and humiliating as they perform way too badly, Zoa is dressed very simply and isn’t really doing anything rather than sitting at the corner of the bench and waiting for her turn quietly. 

“Jo Hyewon?” A tall brown haired guy to whom Zoa has learned his name is Hyunsuk calls out her name. She stands up from her spot, raising her right hand highly to show that it’s her and he nods his head signaling her to come forward in the middle of the court like how every other student have done so far. Meanwhile Zoa’s friends cheer for her at the mere mention of her name, screaming her name loudly and clapping enthusiastically. She almost wants to smile, almost feels her cheeks warming up with embarrassment but tries to keep it all under control keeping a straight face on. 

She takes big slow steps, feeling her feet moving on their own by how nervous she is and she’s sure her bones and articulations are cracking up by how stiff and nervous she is. She stands in the middle of the court, trying her hardest to ignore the fact that everyone is staring at her before she bows and introduces herself in order to confirm that Hyunsuk has called out the right person. 

“Jo Hyewon, class 1-A, freshman.” She says, her voice coming out stiff and nervous but she tries her hardest to make it sound loud and clear. 

“Wait. I know this girl. She’s the one who came bragging she’s Mr. Choi’s trainee the other day!” Younghoon exclaims as he nudges Yunho and some of the rest of his teammates, along with Hyunsuk. He then laughs softly as he leans forward on his desk saying,

“I need to pay more attention to this. This is going to be fun!” 

“Hey! Watch your mouth you !” Jiwoo yells at him, already too annoyed at the guy’s cockiness as she stands up and shakes her hand violently. Soojin stands up and tries her hardest to keep Jiwoo down along with Soeun from Jiwoo’s other side before they tell her to calm down and that this wouldn’t help anyone. Fortunately for them Younghoon didn’t hear her that well. Jiwoo sits back down on her seat folding her arms to her chest and glaring at the guy angrily. 

“I hate this guy. He had so much cockiness the other day! If Zoa is going to be a part of Yunho’s team she needs to kick him off or else they’re never going to work well together!” Jiwoo explains to the other girls before she narrates the incident from the other day even if the girls already knew it from Zoa.

“Alright. You saw what the others did, right?” Hyunsuk asks Zoa before he passes her the ball. He quickly explains to her what she has to do anyway though as he realizes that none of the previous students have actually performed that well or the whole process of the activities they made them do in order for Zoa to actually know. She nods her head before she positions herself and he starts the timer. 

It’s simple. All she has to do is run from the one side of the court to the other while dribbling the ball, pass the ball to Hyunsuk before receiving it from him right when she’s performing an alley-oop and then shooting and scoring. Zoa manages to do all that in 2:47 minutes which is proved to be the shortest amount of time ever performed in evaluations and Yunho starts applauding her first, making everyone else follow suit. Younghoon seems displeased while Zoa’s friends cheer and scream loudly in happiness for their friend. 

“Given your perfect performance I should give you a total of 15 points but you’ve also broken the record so I’m going to give you 18 points. But before that, I would like to see you showing us something. Take this as an extra point.” Yunho speaks up this time and Zoa nods her head. She gives the signal with a simple nod to Hyunsuk who sets the timer as Zoa starts performing. She runs fast from the one side of the court to the other, performing a perfect and fast behind-the-back dribble before she reaches close to the basket. She then performs an alley-oop, her hands quickly performing a between-the-legs dribble while she’s in the air before she finally dunks the ball into the basket ring, her hands holding onto it for a couple of seconds, hanging on it feeling like she’s flying before she jumps off and rushes to get the ball before she hands it to Hyunsuk and bows at the team. She’s sure she performed well and no matter what the team believes or the score they give her, she feels way too giddy, ⏤totally not nervous anymore⏤ happy and proud of herself because she’s never managed to reach the ring and actually hold it, no matter how tall she is and how high she jumps. She’s practiced hard for it but it would just never happen. It was a dream she always wanted to achieve so now it’s all that matters to her. 

“Damn. I’m giving you a total of 20 points but I badly wish I could give you 25 or something.” Yunho says as he applauds her once again and so the rest do as well. Zoa smiles happily and proudly as she finally looks around her, seeing all those students looking at her shocked as if she’s some kind of a goddess. She heads back to her spot with a bright smile on her lips, laughing softly as her eyes finally land on her friends who haven’t stopped cheering her loudly all this time. They wave at her many of times and she finally smiles back at them, feeling relieved that they’re there for her. She can finally smile back at them as she’s not nervous anymore.  

The rest of the evaluations take a while but at the end the team manages to settle down on a total of 40 students that managed to pass the first phase. They announced that every each of those 40 students is going to perform with the rest until they reach on a total of 12. The second phase of the evaluations is going to be in the weekend and so the team bid the players goodbye before the students started leaving with groans and grumbles following. 

“You were awesome!” Jiwoo screams at her friend as she rushes towards her as soon as the evaluations are over for today. She’s literally running all the way from the bleachers to Zoa’s spot with open arms before she quickly jumps on Zoa, her arms wrapping around the girl’s shoulders and back tightly, involving them both in a tight hug before Zoa loses her balance by Jiwoo’s high speed and falls down, landing on her as she brings Jiwoo along. They laugh loudly but never break the hug. 

“I’m so freaking proud of you! You nailed it!” Jiwoo screams at the girl’s ear and Zoa can’t help but laugh before she also yells loudly on the girl’s ear,

“Why are you yelling?”

“Because I’m too happy!” Jiwoo yells back in Zoa’s ear on purpose and the two laugh again. 

“Jeez, I think I’m going deaf.” Zoa lets out at the end before her eyes land on her friends who finally reach their spot. 

“We couldn’t stop her, sorry.” Soeun tells Zoa as she points at Jiwoo and Zoa giggles softly. 

“It’s ok. I understand.” She says as she tries to stand up with Jiwoo in her arms as the girl refuses to let go of her just yet. 

“Congratulations little one! We always believed in you.” Monday and Soeun congratulate her cooly before they pat her back softly like how dudes do. Soojin gives her a hug and a kiss on her cheek, making Zoa smile shyly, way too happy and giddy she’s receiving so much attention from her unniesbefore Jaehee comes to hug her too. 

“Congratulations maknae! You were awesome. I would never.” Zoa laughs softly at Jaehee’s words before she thanks her and finally… finally her eyes land on Jihan who has always been there for her, smiling at her and staring at her all this time, cheering on her. Zoa just hasn’t noticed because she’s been too nervous. 

“You did amazing. Better than your training.” Jihan tells Zoa as she stands in front of the girl now. Zoa smiles brightly and nods her head before she says,

“I’ve never held the ring before! It’s always been a dream of mine, unnie. But I’ve never made it! Can you believe it that I finally did it today?” Jihan smiles happily at the girl’s happiness and enthusiasm, loving to see the glee in her eyes.

“Seems like you broke many records today then! The more reasons to celebrate tonight then!” Jihan says and Zoa can’t help but smile back and nod her head eagerly. Before they’re about to walk out of the gym the basketball team walks towards them and the girls make their way to leave Zoa alone. Even Jiwoo moves aside, though pouts because she doesn’t want to let go of Zoa just yet. 

“It felt like I was watching Mr. Choi playing today.” Yunho confesses before he extends his hand for a handshake which Zoa gladly accepts. 

“Congratulations.” 

“Thank you.” 

“I’m sure you will make it to the team but I will wish you the best of luck for tomorrow too. You should rest now and celebrate because you worked hard for it and deserve it. Once again, congratulations.” Yunho says, smiles at her and bids her goodbye before his team follows him, also congratulating Zoa. 

“I believe you were just lucky, kid. Too lucky.” Younghoon says as he’s the last one to pass by her. He never gives his hand for a handshake or congratulates her and she doesn’t mind honestly. She hasn’t even though of how things would be with him if she joins the team because she hasn’t thought this far yet. But if she ever makes it, she’s sure she will try her hardest as she always does and won’t care if the others around her like her or not. She knows by now that she can’t befriend everyone. 

“What an .” Monday says. 

“Yeah, he’s always been one. Make sure to stay away from him once you join the team Zo.” Soeun advices her and Zoa nods her head. 

“Let’s not ruin our mood now though! We’re celebrating!” Jiwoo exclaims happily, not wanting to give more attention to a loser like him.  

======================================================

The evaluations went on smoothly during this weekend. Zoa had to play against most players and that surely lasted hours as it proved to be an extremely long and tiring process but fortunately for her she managed to make it to the team successfully. Hyunsuk announced the final 12 players to be joining them as well as the fact that as usual, there wouldn’t be a phase three of evaluations which Jiwoo has been sulky about because she badly wanted her friend to kick out that Younghoon guy. Zoa told her that she didn’t mind though, that she wouldn’t be spending that many hours around this guy and overall she had so many other things to care about in order to pay attention to a random guy from the basketball team that didn’t like her and got along with her. After all, she couldn’t make everyone like her, that's for sure. 

They’ve also celebrated that weekend which Zoa really enjoyed as hanging out with her friends has always been fun. The girls even tried offering her some alcohol since she’s officially an adult now ⏤she’s been 18 since past May⏤ but she refused, saying that even the smell of it made her feel a little sick. 

And so, without her realizing she’s already going to attend her very first college party that has been arranged to happen this Sunday night. Not only did Zoa have a busy week but it looks like she’s having a busy weekend too. She truly can’t take a break and when she asked Soojin why somebody would arrange a college party on the very first week of college Soojin has replied with a shrug of her shoulders along with a casual reply of,

“Well the council thought that it would be a good start for everyone as well as a good step for freshmen to loosen up and get familiar with college and other students too. It’s almost a tradition by now to welcome freshmen by throwing a party at the auditorium. I’m not exactly against that idea but I wouldn’t say I fully support it so as a diplomatic and fair president that I am I have to agree with their idea and allow the party to happen as well as ask for the professors’ permission.” 

So here she is now, getting stressed out of her mind as she’s not even sure how to dress up for a college party. Soojin hasn’t been in their room for a while now, having to visit the auditorium a couple of hours before the party in order to make sure that everything is going well so Zoa is left back in the room alone, having messed up the whole room by throwing her clothes in random packs on her bed. 

“I mean, how are college students supposed to dress up in college parties?” She asks Jiwoo whom she’s in a video call with. She’s placed her phone somewhere on her desk, not really looking over at the girl as she’s too busy messing up her closet. Jiwoo seems and sounds way calmer than she is as she’s actually found an outfit for herself and if Zoa takes a quick glance at her phone’s screen she would be faced with the girl sitting on her desk, fixing her make-up. 

“I have no idea. But I believe you should dress very prettily in order to impress that someone that has his eyes on you.” Jiwoo says and smiles knowingly at Zoa, stealing a glance at the girl. She laughs as she sees Zoa rolling her eyes and glaring at her for a couple of seconds before Zoa looks back at her pack of clothes on her bed, troubled. 

“If you mean Yunho oppa then let me correct you once again that he doesn’t think of me in that way. I’ve just joined the team for goodness sake!”

“Yeah but he was the one to come all the way towards you out of all the students to congratulate you again, to tell you how happy he is that you are a part of his team and to call him oppa from now on. He didn’t say this to anyone else!” Jiwoo defends her side, twirling a loose strand of her light brown hair in her fingers playfully, smiling at her reflection mischievously at her playfulness towards her friend. 

“I believe he thinks of me as a young trainee that can help his team succeed in tournaments. He’s just excited and glad to have me on his team. It’s like a coach-trainee relationship.” 

“That’s how you see it. You never know what he thinks.” Jiwoo says knowingly and Zoa has to pause a little, growing as she stares at her friend, troubled. She hasn’t really tried thinking of how things could be for Yunho because for her it was as simple as that. He was a captain and she was just about to join the team. They’ve barely interacted a few times and that during the evaluations. Wasn’t it too early for someone to have a liking on her? 

“Isn’t it too early for him to think of me that way?” She can’t help but ask her friend, wondering how her friend even manages to think that way or make all those scenarios while her own brain doesn’t even think like that. 

“Maybe. But sometimes there’s love at first sight, crush, call it however you want it. Either way, it looks like he has eyes for you and I wouldn’t blame him if he did, honestly.” Zoa can’t help but frown even more as she stares at her friend confused who doesn’t look back at her as she keeps fixing her make-up, not sounding like she’s making a fun of this anymore but sounding actually serious about it. 

Zoa shakes her head, deicing not to worry about that now too before she looks back at her clothes saying,

“I don’t get what you mean but even if that’s the case then that’s his problem, not mine. I don’t think of him that way and I don’t plan on fueling his feelings for me more. That would be cruel. Make someone have high hopes only to crash them down.” 

“Hey wow! I didn’t say that! Don’t make me sound cruel now! I just mentioned it just in case you haven’t fully noticed him ⏤which is totally the case by the way. Just think about it Zo. He’s a handsome guy, and he seems nice too. Maybe you should give him a chance.” 

“I don’t get why you’re trying to set me up on a date with him so bad. I’m not even interested in these things. Haven’t even crossed my mind! Why would I pressure myself? I’m still young, I still have time and if love comes at some point, so be it. I don’t see why I should rush things.” Zoa says as she finally picks an outfit that looks good enough in her eyes right now. 

“Fine miss-I-want-to-take-things-slow. But until we finish college I will surely find you a boyfriend, you won’t get away from me forever!” Jiwoo says and puffs out her chest like the proud best friend that she feels. Zoa rolls her eyes and giggles softly. 

“Sure thing. I trust your taste anyway.” Jiwoo nods her head slowly as she turns to look at Zoa through her own phone’s screen. She seems deep in her own thoughts for a couple of seconds, her face getting a little gloomy before she forms a bright smile again and points out at Zoa’s outfit. 

“Hey! That’s a nice outfit!” 

“You think?” Zoa asks, still a little unsure as she scratches the back of her neck a little shyly.

“Yeah. I mean, if I were you I would go for a more mature and elegant outfit that would totally fit your gorgeous face but you’re you so this is perfect.” Zoa knits her eyebrows confused at her friend’s words. 

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“You’re cute and adorable so an adorable floral dress is perfect for you Zo.” Jiwoo says with a giggle and Zoa smiles a little, feeling relieved. 

“Good, because I totally don’t have your confidence to show up in what you’re wearing right now.” Jiwoo laughs at Zoa’s comment, checking out her own gothic, short black dress, fishnet tights and black boots as well as her black leather jacket on top before she nods her head, totally agreeing with her. 

“Yep. You totally can’t match my confidence.” She agrees and the two laugh more.

“Hate you.” Zoa mumbles between her laughter as she throws one of her clothes on her phone, covering the screen in the process as if that would somehow reach Jiwoo over the phone call and actually land on her face. Jiwoo laughs harder. Zoa starts getting changed before Soojin finally returns back to their room only to find Zoa applying her own makeup and Jiwoo making fun of her over the phone. Zoa has managed to clean up her mess right before Soojin has entered the apartment telling to Jiwoo,

“If I don’t clean this up now Soojin unnie will totally get a or something.” to which Jiwoo has laughed hard. So seeing Soojin entering the apartment just when Zoa has finished cleaning up has made Jiwoo laugh even harder, almost falling off of her chair. 

“Hey. You guys are getting ready together?” 

“Yep. Damn Zoa is fast but I believe I’m faster when it comes to getting ready.” Jiwoo says proudly. 

“Yeah but that’s because you literally wear whatever random outfit your eyes catch at the moment!” Jiwoo laughs at that. 

“I won’t argue with that.” 

“You better!”

“Soojin unnie I believe Yunho sunbaenim likes our Zoa but she thinks otherwise. What’s your opinion on that?” Jiwoo asks Soojin and Zoa groans again, not really understanding why Jiwoo is pressing so much on this matter. In her own mindset things are very simple. He’s her captain and she just joined his te

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter