Chapter 1

After Shool || Weeekly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

September is usually a very important month. It's the month wherein most things change or most things start. September is the very first month of fall as a new season starts while nature and the weather usually start changing somewhere along then too with the leaves starting to change colors from the lively, vivid green to faded shades of orange while the sky starts to get filled with more clouds and rain soon follows alongside the first light breeze and cold in the atmosphere. Some fruits and vegetables start to stop growing while some other seasonal ones start growing faster as well during this season. Around this time of the year some jobs start too, while school is set up to usually start around that time too. 

Usually for Hyewon nothing changes much around that time. Summer ends, her summer vacations with her family and friends too alongside her endless free time and multiple hangouts with her friends while school starts and she's back on her usual spot, at that one desk in the front row by the window, busy taking notes and studying hard. Sure, it's hard to get used to not sleep way too much or hang out way too often with her friends as well as it's hard trying to focus back to class and study hard but Zoa is good at getting back into a routine. After all, her whole life has always been planned out perfectly so she easily gets used to a specific way of living and gets back on track quite fast. 

This year however, somewhere in the middle of September, Zoa finds herself feeling completely lost as it's the very first time she's not going back to school. Every year in the very first week of September she would already be back in her usual desk busy studying, having already formed out her new study plan. This year however, she's not attending school anymore as she's graduated back in June. She's already accepted in the college she's applied to, the college she so wanted and the majors she so wanted and has picked back in July when she was making up her mind and applied to all the needed forms. 

College however is a whole new different deal and Zoa isn't sure if she's fully ready to face all the new things awaiting for her. One of them all being the fact that colleges apparently start in October and not in September like schools do —except if you have to retake some exams from previous courses that you've failed passing during the end of those semesters that is. 

Another thing about college is the fact that it's four hours away from Zoa's actual home and hometown overall so the poor girl has already applied to the dorms in which fortunately for her she got accepted too. That's one of the many things she's stressing out though. What is her dorm room going to look like? Will it be small? Will it have everything necessary to make her living there quite easier or will she have to buy extra things? And what about her roommate? What if it's going to be some messy loud girl that brings lots of people over? 

At least for that one problem she's got her questions all answered a week before she moved there when one morning Soojin —one of her older friends— has texted her informing her that they were going to be roommates and as the college's president that she was she's kind of made sure they would be roommates (definitely not rigging up the list of the roommates in the dorms just to make things accidentally and randomly convenient for her and her friends, Soojin's words). So that problem has been solved and Zoa has been at peace ever since —if not excited to be living with her friend. 

Then again, there have been other matters twirling all over her mind and stressing her out such as how was she going to live alone and so further away from her family? And for such a long time? What is college going to be like? Is it a huge building? What do the classes look like? The professors? What if they talk too fast and Zoa can't keep up with them and doesn't understand half of the things they say? And what about the notes? How will she know what to write down and what not? What about the exams at the end of the semester? How are they going to be? They'll surely be hard and Zoa isn't even sure from where to start of to study. What about her classmates? They'll surely know each other just like in school? Or are there going to be lots of students not knowing each other? Are there going to be lost students just like her? Will she be able to make friends? What if she doesn't like some classes? And what if she fails some classes? How is she going to tell her parents about it and how is she going to pass them during the examination season? 

Then again, there are other things on her head too like,

Monday unnie has told her that people usually try to find themselves during college because it's one of those important periods of your life wherein you get to meet lots of new people, get a lot of free time and as an adult now you get lots of opportunities to try out new things too, you get to live alone as well. Which makes Zoa wonder… how should she introduce herself to people? Should she try changing herself? Should she try out to find herself? Should she try to become bolder? Should she try mimicking Monday and start making jokes and tricks to everyone? Should she be flirty? And with whom? Should she try going in blind dates? Who should she date? Someone she likes or just trying out her luck in order to find her ideal type? 

There has been a lot of things on her mind and no matter how her family has assured her that everything will be fine and she should just be herself and enjoy her time there —her friends have told her the exact same thing— she's not sure if she can fully calm down her nervous hyper self and she's pretty sure she's going to mess up on her very first day there. 

For now, she feels lucky for deciding to move in at the dorms a week earlier before college officially starts because that way she will have a whole week to explore and get used to the dorms as well as the whole campus building and won't look too lost on her very first day filled with lots of new classes and professors. 

She zips the last suitcase of the few she's prepared all morning before she places it next to the rest, sighing softly as she feels slightly tired. The past few days she's spent them packing, arranging her things, packing again, buying the few last needed things, packing and arranging again, and packing and packing… It's fair enough to say that she's a little tired and stressed after all the packing and rushing to get everything done, making sure that everything is surely packed inside her suitcases and that she does forget anything. 

"I believe I'm ready." She lets out once her father enters her bedroom. He smiles softly, crossing his arms to his chest as he rests his shoulder on the door frame. 

"You've been packing for the last four days, you've better be ready." Zoa sighs a little, groaning at her father's light teasing before her mother shows up, nudging him softly before she says,

"Don't tease our daughter. She's nervous about her new college. It's normal." 

"I'm good to miss having you around though." Zoa's mother adds as she walks closer to her daughter and hugs her tightly once again, grumbling about their height difference once again —though she's not that shorter from Zoa. 

"Call us often, ok? If things get tough, don't hesitate to take the first line of the train possible to get back home. Keep us updated ok?" Zoa's father rolls his eyes saying,

"Please don't call us too often or else the kids at college will start calling you a mama's girl." Zoa's mother huffs immediately as she pushes herself back from her daughter and fixes the girl's hair. 

"They won't. They will understand that our Hyewon has a very caring mother.” 

“She’s 18. Maybe you should stop babying her so much now and give her the chance to take a little care of herself by herself, hm?" 

"No! Not a chance! A mother will always care for her children whether they're 18 or 43!"

"Noted. Good luck with her, kid." Zoa's father tells the girl as he pats her shoulder. Zoa just giggles as she hugs her mom back once again before she takes her suitcases along with her dad's help and walks towards the front door of their house. 

"Jimin will be here soon. I've already told her not to drive too fast and take care of you, alright? Don't forget to call me once you reach the campus." Zoa's mother continues giving her advice even when they've reached the very front door of the fence outside at the end of their yard, waiting for Monday. 

"Yes mom. For the millionth time I'll call you. Also, I still don't think it's a good idea for Monday unnie to pick me up. It's a four hour trip! I feel bad for making her come all the way here only to take the same long way back there…" Zoa says with a pout at the end. 

"It's only for this time because you have so many suitcases and because both us but also your friends want to make sure you'll arrive safely and on time, alright?" 

"Safely… so the train can't get me safely?" Zoa teases her mother lightly. Her mother scoffs a little before the three of them laugh, her father high fives with her, proud that his daughter has taken after his jokes and teasing. 

"You know what I mean." 

"I know, I know." Zoa says with a smile, not having stopped holding her mother's hands at all. 

"Take care of Clara for me." She tells her mother as the white fluffy dog with soft curly fur joins them, barking happily, not really understanding that she's about to bid goodbye to her owner for a long time. She's shaking her tail back and forth enthusiastically but from her cute nuzzling on Zoa's leg, Zoa can tell that the dog can sense that something is wrong. 

"Of course I will. She's going to miss you a lot." Zoa's mother says and Zoa smiles sadly at the dog as she hugs it in her arms for the last time while her eyes scan the road, wondering what's taking Monday so long to reach their house. 

"I'm going to miss her too. Please keep her busy once I leave or else I won't handle hearing her crying." Zoa says, the sad smile still on as she can barely picture it in her head, already aching in pain at the mere thought of her beloved dog crying so much because she's leaving. Zoa's mother nods her head before Zoa's father joins them saying,

"I think there's a familiar car over there. Your private driver has arrived." He says in a light tone and mood, trying to lift up the spirits of the two women beside him that are already feeling emotional. Zoa chuckles softly as she perks up upon hearing that, noticing a familiar black sports car coming towards their way. Soon, Monday parks the car in front of the Jos residence before she steps outside and Zoa smiles brightly upon seeing a familiar face. 

Honestly, she’s happy her friend is taking her to campus but she’s pretty sure she won’t allow her to do that again. Monday isn’t living around her neighborhood anymore as it wouldn’t be convenient for college at all ⏤four hour trip, remember?⏤ and same goes for all of her older friends. Zoa has been meeting them everyday every summer because they would return back in the neighborhood for the summer breaks but during the rest of her school years she will only meet them some random weekends or during college breaks ⏤winter and spring break and that wasn’t that long, just two weeks before the exams of their semesters. 

“Hello Mr. Jo, Ms. Jo. It’s nice seeing you again!” The almost two centimeter taller girl between the two young girls says, greeting Zoa’s parents with a warm smile before she nudges her friend saying,

“Are you ready to get laid, little one?” 

“Unnie! Not in front of my parents! And no I’m not going to get laid!” Zoa argues, scoffing at her older friend’s antics. Monday just laughs, ruffling her long light ⏤lighter than Zoa’s⏤ hair before she raises her arched, thin eyebrow saying,

“You surely will. As long as you’re my friend you will. College is about having fun, dude!” 

“That’s what we’re also telling her.” Zoa’s father says with a soft sympathetic smile as if he’s wishing Monday a good luck on making his daughter less uptight. 

“I’m going to have fun,dad, we agreed on that. But I’m definitely not going to overdo it.” 

“She surely won’t come back with a pregnant girlfriend, don’t worry.” Monday also says, nodding her head. Zoa scoffs at her friend’s jokes once again while Ms Jo laughs instead. 

“Wow! Uh, what did your parents tell you once you left home, really?” Zoa asks her. 

“Not get involved with drug dealers and mafia bosses. The rest, you’re free to do whatever you want.” Zoa’s eyes widen as her jaw drops, staring at her friend shocked, not having expected such a reply. Monday laughs before she leans forward, grabbing one of Zoa’s suitcases that she’s holding. 

“Come on. We need to get going if we want to arrive at some point. Oh! I forgot to tell you! We’re picking up the girls too! So think of it as a group road trip.” Zoa frowns before she can’t help herself but smile brightly, actually liking the news. She already felt happy for doing this trip with one of her friends so now she feels even happier for having them all around in such an important moment for her. She trusts them and she’s pretty sure they will do everything for her to feel less nervous and stressed about college. 

Meanwhile Mr. Jo helps Monday out on placing all of Zoa’s suitcases at the back of the car before Zoa joins them too. 

“I think we’re ready.” Monday announces before she’s about to walk on the driver’s seat but stops on her tracks once she realizes that her younger friend isn’t done yet. Zoa turns around and faces her parents with slightly watery eyes. She’s for sure going to miss them. She used to wake up at her house, with them around her, having breakfast together before she left to school. She used to return back home to homemade food and her mother in the kitchen. She used to study for hours in her room but knew that her parents were just a door away. She would spend her nights watching movies with them before going to sleep ⏤or at least some of the nights since some of them she would be out with her friends. So knowing that her parents aren’t going to be a door away anymore or somewhere around the house… feels odd to her. Foreign, weird, strange and surely a little scary. 

She hugs them both tightly before Clara joins them, barking sadly and Zoa all over her face to show her affection to her owner. 

“Please call me as much as possible.” Zoa’s mother pleads her daughter who nods her head before she takes a step back, waving once again at them before she enters the car and sits at the passenger’s seat. 

“I’m going to take care of her!” Monday yells as she waves at Zoa’s parents goodbye before she wears her sunglasses and starts the car. Zoa scoffs upon seeing her doing that and Monday chuckles a little. 

“Kid, relax. We’re going to be driving for four hours. I need to look cool! Enjoy the ride!” Zoa shakes her head before she fully rests her back and head on the seat, actually relaxing as her friend has suggested she should do. 

“Missing your parents is normal. I’m not sure if I missed them as much as you will, but yeah, even I do at times. But I promise you, I and the girls are going to take care of you and you’re going to have fun. So don’t stress out about it that much ok?” Zoa nods her head at her friend’s words before she turns her head to stare outside of the window, getting deep in her thoughts ⏤thoughts about her parents and college that is, as it seems like it’s the only thing on her mind the last few days. 

The first few minutes of their long road trip pass by with Monday talking about a new game she's bought and taken with her in order for them to play at nights whenever they're bored. She also told Zoa a little about her apartment as well as promised to get her there as soon as possible —of course once the girl settles down with her own belongings at the dorms. She also told the younger girl a few of the must visit places as well as the places she and the girls usually hang out but promised she will tell her more once they visit them because it's better when you see it rather than when you hear about it, Monday's words. 

And somewhere along there, after a couple of minutes of already driving, Monday parks her car outside of Soeun's house. Zoa can't help but smile brightly upon seeing her two older friends waiting outside of Soeun's house for none other than Monday to pick them up. 

"Hey! Took you long enough!" Soeun jokes as she waves her hand to Monday who steps out of the car first. Zoa follows her shortly behind, wanting to greet her friends properly. 

"No it didn't. I'm on time. You just happen to be awake way too earlier than usual. I'm assuming that's because Soojin slept over? Or else you would never!" Monday teases her friend back who only laughs in response. Soojin smiles too, not really responding to Monday's teasing or clarifying any of the things she just said. It's a little too obvious that the two had a sleep over at Soeun's for various reasons and Zoa doesn't question it because they're her friends anyway and friends do that. 

"Good morning, Zoa yah. Are you nervous?" Soojin greets the youngest of them all instead as she walks up to her, letting the other two same aged girls bicker behind them and settle hers and Soeun's belongings at the back of the car. She hugs Zoa who hugs her back happily before she nods her head slowly into the hug. 

“Don’t be. Unnie is going to take care of everything, alright baby?” Soojin says and Zoa nods her head, smiling brighter at her older but shorter friend once she moves her head back to face her. She has to admit that she feels and is the luckiest person alive to have such lovely and caring parents but also set of friends. She doesn’t need to worry about a single thing as they always make sure to help her out. Specifically, Soojin has always helped her out, never wanting her to feel nervous or sad about anything so she’s always made sure to always be there for her and Zoa always felt glad and thankful for that. 

“You’re staying with Soojin unnie, Hyewon. Damn, I wish I was in your shoes.” Soeun says as she places the last suitcase of theirs at the back of the car before she smiles at the two, her eyes landing on Soojin’s figure and lingering just a little longer as she truly admires their older friend who always makes everyone feel at home and takes care of everyone like a mother would do. She’s not called the mother of their group randomly, of course there’s a reason for that! ⏤if you ever wonder Monday is called the father of the group because she always makes lame jokes, teases everyone and bickers with Soojin like a mother and father do while Soeun is that one random uncle that makes way too many lame jokes to which no one laughs, she’s funny and she and Monday make the perfect father-uncle duo while Zoa is their baby as everyone is babying her because she’s the youngest, talking about the perfect family. 

They enter the car again, this time Soojin sitting at the passenger’s seat like how a mother would do before she turns on the radio, allowing the cheerful music to accompany them to their long trip. She rolls down the window of her seat and extends her hands outside, also wearing her own sunglasses on, enjoying the light breeze and the sun outside.

“It’s a good day. It’s a perfect day for a road trip, actually.” She comments and Monday agrees with her before she belts some high notes of the song playing on the radio at the moment, getting too carried away and enjoying the song and singing way too much. Zoa chuckles at the antics of her older unniesas Soeun also joins her and Soojin simply sings along, laughing every now and then as she looks at them, almost smiling embarrassed for their state. They put on trip songs or songs they’ve always liked or sung along in karaoke nights and so the first couple of hours pass by easily, without Zoa even realizing when they do or ever stressing out about college again as her friends make sure she has fun until they reach their destination. 

Soeun and Monday don’t get their things from the back of the car but help Zoa and Soojin instead as they enter the huge campus once they’ve finally reached it. 

“It’s not this peaceful usually. Just for now since no one cares to step their feet on campus one week before classes officially start. Well, no one except our crazy selves that is.” Soeun says and laughs at the last part. Zoa nods her head slowly as she makes sure to follow her friends since the campus looks huge, chaotic and very easy to get lost in if you're new. 

They walk down many hallways, around lots of yards before they enter a colorful building to which the girls introduce to Zoa as the dorms. They get to the reception quite quickly, they give their IDs to the receptionist before they get their keys to their shared room and start walking again, down long hallways, up the stairs before they reach the first floor. They walk another long hallway before they reach a closed room to which Soojin calls it their sweet home once they stop by it. 

“Do you wanna build a snowman?” She sings along as she knocks on the door softly before she unlocks it slowly making the other two groan behind her and grumble at her childish antics while Zoa simply smiles, loving her unnie’s enthusiasm and efforts to make things brighter and friendlier for Zoa’s scared eyes. She finally unlocks the door and the food of them enter the room to which Soojin and Zoa are going to share. It’s not too small but not too big either, it has a window, two big enough desks, two normal sized beds, a big closet and a bathroom. It has some cupboards too to which Zoa assumes Soojin is going to use to assemble their little kitchen. The room overall is bright and clean so Zoa doesn’t feel that awkward for having to leave away from her lovely, colorful, big and fluffy bedroom back at home. 

“Well, it’s pretty much empty right now because we just moved in but with time you can add more of your personal belongings. You can have your parents send you some more stuffed toys over or we can buy a few posters to make it more girly and pretty.” Soojin explains and Zoa nods her head, looking around at the empty room and plain walls, already imagining it altered according to hers and Soojin’s style. 

“That or you can just crash at our apartment whenever you get too bored of Soojin unnie’s nagging. Don’t forget I have new games on my PS5!” Monday says and Zoa chuckles softly while Soojin sighs, frowns and shakes her head in disapproval though she doesn’t mind actually.

Time flies fast with Soeun and Monday helping out Soojin and Zoa unpack their things and settle down their belongings before they all crash down on Soojin and Zoa’s beds, eating the ramyeon Soojin has made at some point. 

“Which club is Zoa going to attend by the way?” Soeun asks, munching on her ramyeon. Monday scoffs a laugh. 

“She’s definitely going to join our club. Dancing is the best.” 

“She might like environmental issues too though. She’s a freaking eco-friendly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter