my spring by lee suhyun

Ripped Pants
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The vibrant hues of the setting sun bathed the landscape as SeulGi concluded her day's labour. Removing her hat, she delicately tucked it into her pocket, and with the radiant sunset as her companion, she strolled down the road, momentarily forgetting the weariness that clung to her.

 

The village atmosphere stood in stark contrast to the bustling city SeulGi had called home just two years ago. Here, the tranquility enveloped the roads, creating a calming atmosphere. However, amid the peace, there lingered a subtle yearning for her past city life, wishing for better circumstances.

 

SeulGi sighed.

 

Her workplace, the farm and her house were within a half-hour's walk. Although the road was far from ideal, she had grown accustomed to the simplicity of village life.

 

As SeulGi neared her house and prepared to close the gate, an abrupt encounter unfolded. JooHyun, riding a bicycle loaded with two watermelons, nearly collided with the gate. The unexpected display of strength from the seemingly delicate JooHyun caught SeulGi off guard.

 

"What are you doing here?" SeulGi asked, her brow furrowing.

 

"Why are you walking so fast? I almost got in an accident!" JooHyun glared, carefully dismounting her bicycle and pushing it through the gate.

 

"Why are you trespassing?" SeulGi stood still, observing JooHyun's movements.

 

"Can you..." JooHyun took a deep breath, turning slightly toward SeulGi. "Be nice for once? Just once. It's not hard, is it?" She sighed and gingerly placed the watermelons on the ground.

 

"I don't remember buying watermelon." SeulGi purposely ignored JooHyun's plea, approaching the latter to witness her struggle with the bicycle, delicately handling the watermelons as if they were precious.

 

"Take them back."

 

"Seriously!" JooHyun, losing her patience, pushed her bicycle toward SeulGi, who deftly stepped back to avoid a collision. Frowning deeply, JooHyun looked at SeulGi, visibly upset. "I am so done with you."

 

"Hey, that's dangerous!" SeulGi raised an eyebrow, bringing the bicycle to a stand again. "I could have lost my leg. Gosh."

 

"Just be damn glad that killing another human being is illegal." JooHyun groaned, stomping away, leaving SeulGi and her bicycle behind. Anger clouded her judgment.

 

SeulGi raised an eyebrow and blinked a few times, watching JooHyun walk away, leaving her belongings behind. "What the hell?" She sighed and decided to go after the upset person, walking from behind her.

 

"My place is not a dump truck." SeulGi thought it was the right way to console an upset person, even if the absurdity of her words wasn't lost on her.

 

"Cut it out," JooHyun replied angrily, still walking.

 

"Are you looking down on me and my place?" SeulGi didn't stop. After an unbearable silence from the other person, she added (and actually tried to be nice), "What are those watermelons for, though?"

 

"You didn't even bother asking." JooHyun retorted, still walking.

 

"How? I was just protecting my territory."

 

"Right..." JooHyun stopped, closed her eyes briefly, and turned around to face the devilish figure who didn't bother to disguise. Yes, SeulGi looked like an actual devil in her eyes at that moment. "I was planning to thank you for bringing my daughter back the other day, hence I brought you the watermelons. But now, I'm not sure if you deserve my gratitude."

 

"I see..." SeulGi nodded slowly. "Well, then, wait here." She demanded and immediately ran back to her place, leaving JooHyun in confusion.

 

"My goodness." JooHyun shut her eyes and ran her fingers through her dark locks. She wanted to scream but didn't want to be labelled as crazy, especially not by SeulGi. For some reason, dealing with SeulGi made her unconsciously prioritize her dignity.

 

When JooHyun was ready to leave, SeulGi shouted from a distance while riding her bicycle, speeding towards her. SeulGi even managed to stop right in front of her, halting her in her tracks.

 

"Thank you for the watermelons. My siblings had been wanting to eat them for a while." SeulGi began as she got down from the bicycle. "But we don't need this. So, you gotta take it back."

 

JooHyun was rendered speechless. At this point, SeulGi seemed like a certified nutjob. "Are you okay in the head?"

 

"I am not okay with having something I don't need."

 

"You really don't understand anything at all, do you?"

 

"I can understand you clearly."

 

"No, I, oh gosh, I don't know anymore." JooHyun shook her head, realizing that the longer she stayed around SeulGi, the harder it was for her to think straight. "I am out of here." She took her bicycle from SeulGi and walked away with it without riding it.

 

"Thanks for being considerate," SeulGi shouted, watching JooHyun quietly for a while before heading in the opposite direction, making her way back to her place.

 

-

 

SeulGi stood before the breakfast laid out on the table, her eyes fixed on the peculiar offering – a tray of watermelon slices and a glass of warm coffee. Puzzled, she lifted her hat off, scratched her head, and then put her hat back on, her frowning expression a canvas of mixed feelings.

 

Her mother, already indulging in a large bite of watermelon, noticed SeulGi's hesitation. "What are you looking at? Sit down and eat."

 

SeulGi couldn't help but voice her confusion. "Why are we having that for breakfast?"

 

SeulAh, with enthusiasm evident in his voice, chimed in, holding two watermelon pieces in each of his small hands. "Why? It's so good!" His lower face bore the marks of his enjoyment, stained by the succulent fruit.

 

SeulYi, joining the chorus, took a small bite and echoed, "So good, so good!"

 

Rubbing her forehead in disbelief, SeulGi shook her head and decided to distance herself from the peculiar scene. The idea of pairing watermelon with coffee for breakfast was something she never envisioned. Despite the possibility that some, including her family, deemed it a normal combination, she found herself detesting it at first sight.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter