Chapter one

The bank

Emma hopped on the bus and plugged her earbuds in. She hated the fact that she had to endure a one hour ride journey to her workplace. It's been only a month since she started working, yet she felt like it's been a year. Every working day feels so grueling and she feels like she's slowly turning into a lifeless zombie.

Graduated with the highest grade in her class and having a bachelors degree in embryology hasn't helped her to land a job as an embryologist. After six months of job hunting and remaining unemployed, she finally decided to accept a job as a receptionist in an IVF centre as that is the closest she can get to her dream. The IVF centre didn't have any vacancy for embryologists as they already have enough embryologists.

Staring at the scenery outside while listening to her favourite song 'Standing next to you' by her favourite artist, a smile crept on her face before dozing into sleep five minutes later. She was in the middle of having a good dream when her alarm clock rang signalling that the bus was about to reach her final stop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Good morning Emma" Amy, a lady in her 50s greeted her with a wide smile.

"Good morning Amy" she returned her greetings smiling. Even though Emma feels sad at times because she is not working as an embryologist, she still feels grateful to have a very kind colleague in her work place.

"A woman in her thirties is coming today for her IVF procedure" Amy said while placing a file in front of Emma. "I won't be around later this evening as I'm clearing up my annual leave. You'll find her record in this file." Amy continued.

"Yeah sure. Thanks Amy."

She started reading the file record and made a note on her notepad to make sure she remembers all the important information.

After lunch break, Emma returned to her desk.

Right at 2.30pm, a woman who looked like she was in her thirties appeared. She was accompanied by a really good looking man. It's the kind of face that you can stare at for a long long time. 'Too bad, he's married' she mumbled feeling a tad disappointed.

"Welcome to Amethyst Fertility Centre. Please be seated." Emma smiled while guiding them to the seating area.
"May I have your clinic card for registration purposes?"
"Yes, sure" the woman said before handing the card to her.

While registering her on the computer, Emma can't help but feel uncomfortable by the look the man is giving her. It was the kind of stare men give when they flirt. She could feel him staring at her and when she made eye contact with him, he slightly smirked.

She regretted liking him earlier. 'What's the use of a handsome guy if he's a ert. How could he stare at another woman when he's trying for a child. How inappropriate.' she thought to herself.

Done with registration, she passed all the important documents to be signed by the patient.
"Would you like to be accompanied by your husband for the procedure, Mrs Yoon? Emma asked while waiting for the document to be signed.

Mrs Yoon's eyes widened before she started laughing. "This is not my husband. He's my brother."
The siblings looked at each other and laughed.

"Oww, I'm really really sorry." Emma said, her face now beet red.

After guiding Mrs Yoon to the Doctor's room, Emma made her way back to the reception area. Her heart started thumping when she saw Mrs Yoon's brother sitting opposite her desk. She felt like banging her head on the wall due to the embarrassment.

"Hi Ms.Emma. I'm Jungkook, nice to meet you." Jungkook offered his hand.

Emma shook his hand and her cheeks flushed when Jungkook gazed intently at her while smiling. Her heart started pounding rapidly.

Their first meeting at the IVF centre soon turned into multiple meetings before they started dating.