Camping Trip (on-going)

Playing House
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “Unniee, let’s go have a camping trip”.

They were having dinner at their kitchen table when Hyowon blurted out the idea.

Jung Woo blinked several times, looking at her housemate as if she’d grown two heads.

"Oh, you're serious!" she exclaimed, surprised that Hyowon didn't burst into laughter at her own suggestion. It's not that Jung Woo didn't want to. In fact, she enjoys nature and every moment she gets to spend with the younger dancer. Her hesitation came from a very rational place; she knew she had zero skills when it came to outdoor survival. She couldn't even start a fire to save her life, and she'd bet Aiki's life that Hyowon couldn't either.

"Of course, I am serious. It's nearing November, the best time for camping and catching the bright-colored red and yellow autumn foliage.”

The long-haired woman stifled a laugh at her housemate's wistful look.

"What?"

"You sounded like a lady in a TV ad, convincing foreigners to go camping in Korea."

"So did I convince you?" Hyowon asked, playfully wiggling her eyebrows.

Jung Woo smiled warmly at the other woman, only to look serious again. "I'll think about it," she said dismissively and went back to chewing her food.

"Unnieee," Hyowon pleaded.

"Aish, take away that pout," Jung Woo scolded, to which the younger responded by pouting even more.

"Fine-fine," she said, giving in with barely even a fight. "We'll go the next time we have free days."

"Yay, thank you, unniee," the other exclaimed gleefully. "I am so happy, I could kiss you right now."

Jung Woo almost choked but hid her surprise by teasing the younger, "On the lips?"

"Yah!" Her question earned her a kick under the table, but the culprit was blushing in front of her.

Jung Woo laughed; she decided she enjoyed the sight of a flustered Hyowon.

*** 

Later that night, Jung Woo was abruptly awakened by the insistent call of her bladder, urging her to the bathroom. With reluctance, she sat up in bed, the cool sheets clinging to her skin as if preventing her from leaving. Peering through the slit in her door, she noticed the soft glow of the kitchen light persisting in the dimness.

“Aish! This woman," she whispered to herself while shaking her head. It was the third time this week that Hyowon had neglected to turn off the kitchen light before retiring for the night. In the first two instances, Jung Woo let it slide, trying not to nag the younger girl too much. However, the third occurrence marked a limit; Hyowon would undoubtedly face an earful at breakfast, she thought.

Glancing at the digital clock on her bedside, the harsh glow revealed the late hour; it was almost 1 in the morning. With a huff, she reluctantly removed herself from the warmth of her bed and stepped outside her room. A baffled expression adorned her face as she caught sight of her housemate, inexplicably huddled in the kitchen at this ungodly hour. Jung Woo observed Hyowon for a moment before announcing her presence. Both of the girl’s feet were perched on a chair, her head nestled on her knees. Hyowon's gaze remained fixated on the laptop in front of her. The allure of whatever she was watching seemed so captivating that she didn't even register the sound of a bedroom door opening. Periodically, she would jot down notes on a stack of papers laid out on the table.

The scene might have seemed normal for Jung Woo if her younger housemate were a student, but she wasn't. Given their impending early studio schedule and the current hour, the sensible choice would have been sleep.

“Hyowon-ah,” Jung Woo whispered in a half-shout as she approached the engrossed woman. Hyowon glanced at her; her expression shifted to one of stunned guilt, as if caught in a criminal act.

“What are you doing? For goodness' sake, it’s almost 1 am,” Jung Woo scolded as she drew nearer, peering over at the laptop screen, revealing a YouTube video that says ‘Camping 101 for beginners’.

Hyowon paused the video. “Uh, unnie, I’m just watching useful tips for our camping trip,” she explained, looking at Jung Woo sheepishly, aware she would likely be scolded for staying up so late on a workday. “I want to be well-prepared," she added with a forced smile.

Jung Woo blinked twice. The girl’s seriousness about this trip was fascinating; nevertheless, the younger dancer requires enough sleep to function properly the next day.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter