Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Tie Off

Last Day

 

The company’s farewell celebration is held in the historic Aitna Hotel on the last day of the project. Logan fixes his tie -slim, black that glimmers blue in the lights, a gift from a certain someone with great taste- and walks gingerly along the path marked by the white and gold balloons. He’s so excited, he can jump the whole way to the dancefloor. 

 

He video-called Su Ryeon when he was getting dressed, hoping to get a peek of her outfit, since she insisted on arriving separately. She’d been doing this the past few days, keeping a distance.

 

This stops today. 

 

The party is in full swing when he hands his initiation at the door. The floor is buzzing with jazz tunes, covering the mingling and conversations over champagne and hors d'oeuvres. The whole company is celebrating, one of the few gatherings available to everyone, from entry level to higher position employees. It’s black tie, a sea of men in identical black suits and women in dazzling dresses, swinging to the tune but too shy to dance yet. 

 

He spots Su Ryeon in a circle of her peers -wearing the stunning floor-length black dress he spotted in her wardrobe last week with strings of pearls draped along her neck- and the smile cracks his face in half. Careful not to raise -more- suspicion, he approaches the circle and falls into conversation with Mun Na and other members of accounting. Just when he’s mingled his way to her, there’s a tap on the microphone. 

 

“Can I have your attention please”, the CEO calls as the attendees stop what they're doing and look to the stage, “This party marks the completion of the Easton project”, followed by cheers from the audience “and the end of our cooperation with the U.S. team. On behalf of the company, I would like to raise a glass to Project Manager Lee and his team and hope we work together in the future” Logan raises his champagne glass, feeling every eye on him. Su Ryeon is looking straight ahead, gripping her glass. “Now, please enjoy the party”. 

 

With that, people drown their drinks and head gingerly to the stage, an upbeat song making people flock to the dancefloor. 

 

He goes to take Su Ryeon dancing, but a gray haired man stops him with a clap on his shoulder. He’s immediately roped into an animated discussion. The older man, director Pham is one of these people whose life joys are etched on his face. He has deep laugh lines and the glow of a tan on his cheeks -reminder of his recent family vacation. He shows Logan photos of him, his wife and two sons in Corfu, matching straw hats, smiles and sunburns. 

 

“I’ll miss working with you Mr Pham. You’re living the best life”. 

 

“The years have been good to me”, he nods. Apart from Su Ryeon, he’s the only person he’s spent some meaningful time with. They had a business meeting in the restaurant where his wife is the head chef and the man couldn’t be more proud. Even if the food hadn’t been amazing, Logan would still finish it all. “Young man,” he says without the derogatory tone this phrase is usually uttered, “All you need is a person to sit across the table for the rest of your life”. 

 

“Right…” he knows the feeling. He scans the room to find that person for him but doesn’t see her. He cranes his neck but-

 

“She went outside,” Mr Pham nods to the balcony. 

 

“Who?”

 

“I'm old, not blind”, the older man smirks. “Go”. 

 

 

“Can I have this dance?” she drowns her drink but doesn’t turn at his voice. Her hands grip the railing and the strapless gown exposes her tense shoulders. “Come on, it’s a beautiful evening, you look more stunning than I can fathom and I spotted these salmon canapés you like in there”. He presents her with his hand. 

 

When she turns and meets his eyes, it falls. Tears threaten to fall from hers. With two steps, he’s in front of her, clutching her shoulders. 

 

“What's wrong, Su Ryeon si?”

 

She brushes her eyes carefully. 

 

“I can’t go in there and pretend to be happy”. 

 

“Why?”

 

She’s looking at him with pain. 

 

“I don't understand. The project was a success and we’re celebrating”. 

 

“You look delighted,” she spits. 

 

“I am”.  

 

“Great” she makes a move to leave, when he stops her. 

 

“Don’t run from me”. 

 

She turns around, not bothering to hide her anger.
 

“ I'm running? You’re the one who’s so happy work ended and you get to leave Korea, and I'm supposed to like it?”

 

“Is this why you’re been sad these days? Because I'm leaving?”

 

“I knew this was temporary. But these last few months with you… I’ve never been so happy. And it hurts that you’re going back to the U.S.”. 

 

She thinks he’s leaving? As if these months with her meant nothing? As if his plans didn’t go off the window when he met her. 

 

“I’m not going back.” That stops her. He takes her hand, squeezing her soft palm. “How can I leave when you’re here?”

 

A lone tear escapes and a sob. Then her eyes are smiling. Cradling her face, he lets it all on the table. “It has been the best time of my life too. And I can't wait to spend the rest of it with you”. He kisses her damp cheek, the tears a token of her love. “I planned to tell you tonight, and that’s why I couldn't stop smiling. Because from this day forward -in 28 minutes to be exact- we're not coworkers anymore. And that means I can do this”. 

 

He slams his lips on hers and this kiss is different. Raw, uninhibited, promising. They’re not snaking around anymore, they are starting a new chapter, one with holding hands in public and dinners without the pretext of being anything less than romantic. He vows to tone down the surprises in favor of her not getting the wrong idea ever again. Starting tomorrow, because he has one more surprise for her. 

 

When they separate for air, he rests his forehead on hers, admiring the flush of her cheeks and the warm glow she has when she’s happy. With a last kiss on her lips, he produces a velvet box. 

 

She opens it, a key is cushioned inside. The gold tag is engraved with her name. 

 

“I bought a house in Seoul. I’m here for good”. 

 

“Anything keeping you here?” She repeats the question from before. 

 

Now he can answer. 

 

“You”. 

 

She kisses him deeply and his eyes fall shut. Exactly four months ago, he wanted to be anywhere but here. Now, in her arms, there’s no other place in the world for him. He smiles into her lips, when he feels her nimble fingers undoing his tie. He wouldn’t have it any other way. 

 

THE END