The New Roommate

Don't Ask
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Thankfully Junmyeon hyung allowed a cleaning service to come in and thoroughly vacuum Chanyeol’s bed and sanitize his side of the room, that Chanyeol almost wanted to do it for his roommate’s side, only Junmyeon said, “Your roommate doesn’t like for his things to be touched.”

 

That took about a couple of hours and only then Chanyeol felt comfortable enough to take a shower, on the bathroom that he and his roommate would share, apparently.  There weren’t even any toiletries there. Perhaps he really was staying alone.

 

The cleaning service also scrubbed the outdated bathroom inside their room meticulously, but Chanyeol resolved to at least replace that flickering bulb that provided so little light.  He completely disrobed and went under the spray, only he yelped out loud at how icy the water felt. 

 

Another agenda for tomorrow: Buy a water heater for the shower.

 

He got used to it after a few seconds, since he would dive in the coldest bodies of water during a vacation out in one of his father’s yacht somewhere.  But still, this couldn’t be the norm for other people. 

 

Hot showers were a birthright.

 

Feeling exponentially better after a 20-minute shower, Chanyeol realized he had forgotten his towel outside.  He exited the bathroom to buff himself dry when a petite guy, wearing thick, black-rimmed glasses entered the room, round eyes widening even more at the sight of him.

 

Chanyeol immediately covered his half-erect with one large hand, cowering, while reaching to grab his white towel with the other. 

 

The smaller guy had already run out the door, slamming it close behind him in panic, while Chanyeol rushed over to lock the door, even securing the chain lock.

 

Who even used chain locks these days?!  He would have to bring up digital locks with passcodes to Junmyeon hyung!

 

He quickly put on a sweater and joggers to march down to the RA’s room. 

 

However, just as he was about to exit, Junmyeon was already outside the door, smiling happily, while the smaller guy glared at Chanyeol from behind him.  “Ah, I see you roommates have met!”

 

The smaller guy started sputtering, his squishy cheeks blooming in crimson.  “R-Roommates?”

 

Well, their initial introduction wasn’t exactly ideal for Chanyeol, either.

 

“That’s right, Kyungsoo-yah,” Junmyeon said firmly, while trying to sympathize with the incredibly upset freshman.  “I told you Junghoon’s replacement would arrive any day now.”

 

Junmyeon went and dragged Chanyeol by the wrist over to the right side of the room.  “This is Park Chanyeol, by the way.  He’s in the swim team—”

 

“Who hasn’t heard of the Aqua Man?” The guy named Kyungsoo muttered under his breath, petulantly dumping his backpack on the chair and taking out his laptop to lay on his table.  “He’s the most decorated member of the swim team…”  His voice trailed off as he looked at Junmyeon, large glaring eyes softening a bit. “No offense, hyung.”

 

Junmyeon’s eyes crinkled as he patted Chanyeol on the back proudly, the memory of Chanyeol’s try out last year returning to him in sharp, vivid detail.  “None taken.  No one has beaten his 1.12-minute lap record in the history of our university.”
 

[Insert deafening cricket sounds here as moments of excruciating, awkward silence dragged on…]

 

Junmyeon clapped his hands.  “I’m sure you’ll both get along just fine.”

 

Chanyeol glanced at his much smaller roommate—beta, maybe?  He didn’t smell like anything—sheepishly, scratching the side of his head. “I’m sorry about not having a towel on earlier—”

 

“Forget it,” Kyungsoo interrupted, proceeding to his own study area and opened up a thick textbook. He could think of a million, much worse things that could happen.

 

Chanyeol quietly hummed by himself. This wasn’t good. If he was to stay here and this other person was this irritable...

 

Junmyeon put on his authoritative tone. “Well, I’m the resident attendant and what I say goes. Besides, it’s temporary.”

 

“It’s not like I can do anything about it,” Kyungsoo muttered, which Chanyeol didn’t fail to hear.

 

Chanyeol pulled out his phone to check any other available accommodations nearby.  Anywhere, but here.

 

“If you need anything,” Junmyeon reiterated as Chanyeol carefully sat down on his freshly vacuumed bed, “I’ll be downstairs, in Room 001. For now,” he paused, ruffling Chanyeol’s hair as he passed him by, “Kyungsoo, be nice.”

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

 

As soon as Junmyeon left, Chanyeol clucked his tongue as his phone browser loaded all occupied inns and rooms for the night that he had no choice but to quietly unpack. He was intensely aware of Kyungsoo moving about behind him.

 

What did Junmyeon hyung mean when he advised Kyungsoo to be nice?  Was Kyungsoo a clandestine axe murderer?  The smaller guy appeared pleasant enough, but then looks could be deceiving... It certainly didn’t help watching that murder documentary on Netflix last night. He shook his head for more clarity. His imagination was running wild.

 

Kyungsoo began to stuff things into his book bag once more, clearing his throat.

 

Chanyeol decided now wasn’t a good time to make any sudden movements.

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to snap like that,” Kyungsoo said, as Chanyeol turned around. He lowered his eyes, just before their gazes met.  “At you, or at Junmyeon hyung. I-It’s just been a long, difficult day.”

 

Chanyeol bit his lip. It was only two o’clock in the afterno

Please log in to read the full chapter