one.

meet-cute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hee Do is so excited she might throw up, and she’s so nervous she could float. Or something like that.

She checks her reflection one last time against the glass of the flower shop’s window, making sure her hair hadn’t come loose, and makes her way to the park.

She’s early - like, way, way early. She just couldn’t manage to stay home, and if she arrived after Injeolmi that means they’d see her first, and then Hee Do couldn’t stop wondering if she walks weird or not (she tried to test it in her room, and the only thing she managed to do is forget what to do with her hands while walking).

So she’s definitely the first one there, what with being nearly two hours early and whatnot.

Does perfume even last that long?

Wait, maybe she shouldn’t have put any on. What if Injeolmi has allergies? ! Hee Do nervously rubs her wrists on her neck, then against her top, hopefully at least making it weaker. 

She sits at a bench, then stands back up. Then sits against a low brick wall, but maybe that’s a bit too… Okay, bench. She crosses her leg at the ankle, but that’s maybe too casual. At the knee, then. Wait, her mom says it’s too manly to do it this way. No, you know what? Standing.

Yes, standing is fine.

Like this? Or, or, hand in the pocket… no, like this. That’s casual enough, right? But not in a “I don’t care about this” way: in a cooler, “I’m chill” kind of way. Because Hee Do totally is. Chill. She’s the chillest.

There’s still half an hour to when they’re supposed to meet, but she’s already looking at everyone’s hands as soon as they step into her field of vision. A single yellow flower: that’s all she needs.

Empty hands, empty hands, drink, oh, cute plushie, empty hands, a bunch of books, a yellow flower, a bag, a-

Wait.

Yellow flower.

Hee Do’s stomach jumps and somersaults and she looks back: yes, that’s a single yellow flower, and oh my God, a skirt! She knew it, she knew Injeolmi had to be a girl, oh God, and she’s pretty too, as pretty as-

Wait.

That’s-

Hee Do’s entire world turns upside down.

Ko Yu Rim. That’s Ko Yu Rim.

She’s holding a yellow flower and she’s wearing a hairband and she’s looking pretty and she’s Ko Yu Rim and she’s- she’s Injeolmi.

Ko Yu Rim: the girl of her dreams, the girl Hee Do’s tried so hard to get close to, who’s pushed her away so harshly, who’s refused to let her in... but also the one who had comforted Hee Do from… herself…?

Hee Do’s mind is still spinning when Yu Rim- when Injeolmi- when she looks at Hee Do.

She just looks confused to see Hee Do for a second, but then she looks down.

Hee Do’s already moving before Yu Rim even turns around to run.

“Don’t you dare,” Hee Do says, reaching her just as she takes off and grabbing her wrist to tug her back at once. “Don’t you dare run away from me.”

Yu Rim doesn’t look back at her. She’s shaking like a leaf - her yellow flower sways wildly in her grip.

“All this time,” Hee Do says in disbelief, still holding her wrist. “All those talks…”

All those nights. All those times Injeolmi had known just what to say, comforting Hee Do and making her laugh and making her happy and…

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Yu Rim says, voice shaking so hard it wobbles.

“Injeolmi,” Hee Do says, and Yu Rim makes a noise. It is her. “Look at me,” Hee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter