Stranger

I Can Make You Feel Good

***SATURDAY***

Key knew he was awake, but tightly shut his eyes when he realized how badly his head hurt. Even with a relatively high tolerance for alcohol, he was no stranger to hangovers, and this one hit especially hard.

He pressed the edge of his palm into his temple, groaning at the pain. He rubbed his eyes open, finally taking in the sunlight that illuminated the bedroom. Contrasting the room’s bright walls were dark clothes scattered all over the floor. In his sleepy state, it took Key a moment to register that he was under the blanket, and it took another for the sounds of nearby, rhythmic breathing to pass through his ears.

He quietly turned over his shoulder to see a stranger sleeping behind him. Once he recognized the man, his eyes widened. He jolted from the mattress and sat up, letting out a gasp.

Choi Minho!?? The Choi Minho from T.M.?? In HIS bed??

All the pieces were in front of him. It was obvious to Key what had transpired the night before.

But with this guy of all people? HOW??

Key had slept around with his labelmates before, once back when he was a trainee in the dorms, and every now and then after he had debuted. He mingled with people outside of his company, but he had never gone so far as to date or hook up with them.

And this was someone he had never even met. What the hell did they talk about last night that would lead to this?

Key kept panting, still processing the situation, unable to look away from the stranger. He was as still as a log. He lay on his back, head slightly tilted toward Key, with just his bare collarbone exposed to the air. His chest rose and sank with his breathing. Something about this steady rhythm helped to ease Key out of his initial shock. Without thinking, he lay back down on his side, head propped up with his hand, to marvel at this man he had brought home.

His skin was tan compared to most idols, and his lips were quite round in the middle. His thick, luscious brown hair was messy, yet still gave him a princely aura. Key could tell from his exposed collarbone that he was quite buff. The rumors about his physique must have been true. ‘Beautiful’ was an understatement. No wonder people wouldn’t shut up about this guy’s looks.

As he kept staring, snippets from the previous night flashed in front of him. Key vaguely remembered seeing Minho sitting in the corner. He knew that they had kissed, but couldn’t remember how his lips felt. He remembered how gloomy he had been feeling throughout the day, and how holding Minho close to him alleviated some of that gloom. He wondered how much of his frustration with the idol lifestyle he took out on Minho last night.

Key checked the time on his phone. Only 9:00 am. He didn’t have anything until four, so he could take it easy for now. Key didn’t know what Minho’s schedule was like, but he decided not to disturb his slumber. A good sleep was more than valuable as an idol. Plus, he’d buy more time for himself to figure out how he would face Minho once he woke up.

Key grabbed a bathrobe from his closet and made his way to the bathroom to freshen up. He stopped in his tracks when he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror, gawking at his reflection. He had two hickeys on his neck and more all over his chest.

How much did they do last night??

He let out a deep sigh. He’d have to cover his neck up with makeup before his taping at four.

He proceeded with his morning routine, brushing his teeth and showering. After drying off, he put on his bathrobe and draped a smaller towel on his wet hair. He fished out a fresh towel and a new toothbrush from under the sink and left them on the side of the bathtub.

As he pressed the head towel against his hair, he reentered his bedroom and met the eyes of a confused Minho. The latter was sitting up now, with his hands pressed against the mattress for support. The blanket was draped across his stomach, showing off more of his athletic physique that Key couldn’t see before. His chest was larger than most idols, decorated with his protruding pecs and a few hickeys. His arms were also quite thick. The blanket left just the top part of his abs exposed for Key to gape at.

Key quickly recomposed himself before he stared for too long. “Hey.” Normally Key wouldn’t be this awkward around people he had just met, but it was hard not to be awkward in this situation. Not everyone had the unique experience of sleeping with a half stranger. He didn’t know what Minho’s personality was like, so he didn’t know how to interact with him. He wasn’t sure how much about last night to discuss, so he set his focus on making his guest comfortable. “I left a towel and a spare toothbrush on the bathtub. I can get your clothes for you.”

He walked around the room to find the clothes closest to him that were clearly not his, and placed them at the edge of the bed, trying not to make eye contact again.

Minho’s gaze stayed glued to Key. His eyes widened at the marks on Key's exposed chest. “What time is it?”

Key checked his phone on the nightstand. “9:30. You have somewhere you need to be?”

Minho shook his head. “Not until 2.”

Key nodded in confirmation, then turned to his closet to get dressed. He felt awkward at the thought of changing his clothes right by Minho, but he couldn’t stand being under a bathrobe any longer either. He kept his back turned to Minho as he grabbed the first garments his hands touched. That ended up being a loose white shirt, some thin sweatpants, and fresh underwear. He tossed the head towel aside and quickly dressed, hoping that Minho wasn’t watching him. After pulling up his pants under his robe, he turned around and cracked a small smile; Minho was too distracted by his hangover to bother looking over at Key.

“I can make us some breakfast. Something that’ll help with the hangover.”

“That would be good. Thank you.”

“Do you have any allergies or preferences?”

“No, anything will be good.”

Key removed the robe and slipped on his shirt. “You want some coffee as well?”

“Do you have decaf?”

Key nodded, holding back the urge to ask why anyone in the music industry would ever want decaf coffee. “Yea, I can make that for you."

"Thank you."

Key didn't know what else to add, and didn't want to repeat anything he had already said, so he took this opportunity to end the short conversation. "Take as much time as you need to wash up." He smiled in reassurance and left the room to make breakfast.

 

Key started the coffee maker and prepared kongnamul-guk – some bean sprout soup that was light on the stomach and sure to ease the hangover. He set the finished pot down onto the dining table just as a fully dressed Minho, hair still damp, made his way over.

“You’re just in time.” He retreated to the kitchen to pour Minho’s coffee, while he pulled out a hangover drink for himself. He brought them over to the table, holding the hangover drink out in front of Minho. “You want some?”

Minho raised a hand to decline. “Thanks, but I prefer to overcome it myself.”

Key paused. What was this guy? Superhuman? He thought to himself, then nodded as he placed Minho’s coffee in front. He finally sat himself down to start serving breakfast.

Key noticed that Minho was looking all over the room. He thought the latter was trying to avoid eye contact with the host, but then he asked what was on his mind.

“So… this is your place?”

Key raised his eyebrow. “...Yea, this is my place.” He paused to think of a follow-up response. “Did you… think it was something else?”

Minho shook his head. “No, no, it’s not that. I mean, you don’t live in a dorm?”

Key lifted his chin, now understanding where he was coming from. “Not anymore. I moved out of the dorms a few months ago and got my own space.”

Minho nodded. “Ahh. Good for you. It’s nice and spacious.” Minho marveled at the open space around them; it was nothing like the crowded dorms. His eyes eventually landed on a small food and water bowl by the counter. “You have pets?”

“Yup, two dogs. They’re with my parents for now. Promotions can get busy, you know?”

Minho let out a seemingly annoyed chuckle. “You don’t have to tell me.” They both chuckled. They continued eating in silence, though the mood was not as tense as earlier.

Key shyly initiated conversation this time. “And you? You’re still enjoying the dorms?”

“Yea, I’m sharing with a buddy of mine and some of his group mates. I’ve been searching around, though. Might get my own place soon. But I’m still not sure.”

“Take your time. No need to rush. It’s best to do it when you're ready."

Minho smiled this time, the first time Key had seen him do so all morning. Before another awkward pause could take over, Minho’s phone vibrated from his jacket pocket. He pulled it out and sighed when he the screen. He looked back at Key. “Hey, so where are we? How far are we from Seoul?”

“We're still in Seoul. J.K.’s office is a ten-minute drive from here. You’re from T.M., right? That’s just a bit further. You could walk there if you have the time. Do you have to leave soon?”

“I don’t need to. My manager’s texting me, asking where I am. Since I didn’t drive here, he could pick me up, but I don’t think it’d be good if he saw – you know, me and you, here…”

Key pressed his lips together, understanding the dilemma. Even in the privacy of his own apartment, he was mindful of stalkers and hidden cameras. Having Minho just walk out of the building unprotected while being picked up by a manager might attract attention.

“I think I can help out.”

“Yea?”

Key slurped the last of the broth and headed over to his walk-in closet. He searched around for accessories while he overheard Minho talking over the phone, probably to his manager. He was reassuring them that he was okay and that he crashed at a friend’s place.

Key returned to the main room with a handful of clothes. He draped them against the sofa and stood in front of Minho with a stack of bucket hats. “I have a bunch of stuff we could try to disguise you with. You see any you like?”

Minho scanned the selection and picked out one of the black ones. “This might work. My head’s on the smaller side though.” He draped it on his head.

“That should be fine. If we adjust it like this–” Key reached up to pinch the rim and pulled down at the sides. He fiddled with it until it fully covered Minho’s thick hair. “That should do it.” He quickly pulled back his hands. “Do you happen to have any sunglasses?”

Minho pulled them out of his other pocket and slipped them on.

Almost there, but there was one glaring problem: Minho had a hickey on his neck.

“You’ll need to cover that up later, with makeup.” Key softly suggested, pointing at his own neck to remind Minho. Minho sighed and looked away, both men feeling the awkwardness return.

Key placed a hand at the back of his own neck, perplexed. Minho’s skin was darker than Key’s, so he couldn’t use his own makeup to mask it. “You don’t happen to wear scarves, do you?”

“I don’t.” He shook his head disapprovingly, then widened his eyes in realization. “...so if I did wear one… people wouldn’t think it was me.”

Key raised his eyebrows as he caught on. “You’re right! Hang on, I think I have something that can work.” He quickly returned from the closet with a simple black scarf and wrapped it around Minho’s neck. Something chic that blended with his jacket, while expertly covering up the mark. Key smiled at the final look, then frowned. “Maybe we should get you a jacket instead. Your manager might get suspicious.”

“No need. I think this works.”

“But your jacket barely covers up the hickeys.”

“Would your jacket even fit me?”

“I have loose fitting jackets! Really baggy ones that will definitely fit.”

“Come on, I don’t want to bring your whole closet with me! if I take any more from you, the paparazzi will start to confuse me with you.”

Key scoffed. “As if we looked anything alike.”

“We do both have hickeys on our necks. That’s something.”

The both of them paused, surprised at the absurd response, and burst out in laughs.

As they recomposed themselves, Minho spoke reassuringly. “Seriously, this will be enough to get out of here. My manager’s picking me up down the street. I’ll just tell him I crashed at a friend’s place.”

“And the clothes?”

“I’ll just say my friend was trying to hide me from reporters.” Minho checked his phone again. “I really should get going.”

Key nodded. “Yea, of course.” He walked his guest to the front door and pointed down the hallway. “You just need to head down those stairs, to leave, and if you walk down the road, past the traffic light by the convenience store, you’ll find signs for J.K.'s main building. You know the rest of that area, right?”

“Yea, that’s perfect. My manager will pick me up from there. He shouldn’t be able to trace it back to you.” He slipped on a face mask and looked back at Key. “Thanks for breakfast. And for your help. I’ll find a way to pay you back.” Key shook his head with a soft smile. “I’ll see you around.”

“See you around.” Key waved as Minho closed the door behind him.

Immediately, Key released a long exhale, as if a weight had just been lifted from his shoulders. He collapsed onto the couch.

The whole thing was still awkward for him. They didn’t suddenly become friends, and they didn’t learn much about each other. They didn’t even properly introduce themselves or say their names. They were just strangers who hooked up one time.

And yet, it’s not as if they were complete strangers now. The thought of Minho still irked him. Comments from his team and higher ups comparing him to Minho would come to mind and annoy him.

But somehow, properly meeting him didn’t evoke that sentiment. Rather, it helped him realize that, maybe, Minho himself wasn’t so bad?

______________________________________________

 

***FRIDAY***

 

Another week of rehearsals and music show recordings.

Key had performed at Inkigayo on Sunday, while Minho, despite being a runner-up, was nowhere to be seen.

This time, Key won the first place trophy. Minho probably had a conflict – idols didn’t always perform at every music show due to their packed schedules. Even so, Key wondered how they would have interacted, if at all, had Minho been on stage that day. Would it have been different this time now that they had technically met? Or would they have just barely avoided each other, like before?

What Key did know was that he would have to watch the way he reacted to other idols' wins from now on. Apparently, Minho’s fans took issue with how ‘coldly’ Key reacted to Minho’s KBS win and hurled insults online. Some of Key’s fans retorted with memes about Key ‘disapproving’ of the performance. Key couldn’t be bothered by the petty fanwar since Minho himself hadn’t treated him coldly that night.

Right now, Key was back at KBS Music Bank, promoting his album for the second week of promotions. He sat backstage, hair and makeup already done, while two other artists were on deck to perform. His managers chilled out in his dressing room, and most of the other idols were chatting with one another, so Key had this time to himself. He scrolled through emails on his phone while he waited for his turn.

“You want one?”

Key looked up from his phone to see a protein bar being presented to him. He followed the arm to meet the large, round eyes of the person asking.

“Shouldn’t you be on stage?”

“I just wrapped up. I’m basically free now until the winners' ceremony.” He waved the bar, still waiting for a response.

“Thanks, but I don’t want to eat right before I go on. It messes with my singing sometimes.”

“You could save it for later?”

Feeling it rude to decline again, Key bowed slightly and took the bar. “Thank you.” He slid it into his pocket while Minho took a bite from his own. “Do you carry those everywhere you go?”

“Yup. It helps in between all the tapings. I also know a lot of us are on diets, so I pass them around whenever I can.” He leaned against the wall, standing beside Key.

“That’s considerate. Shouldn't you save them for yourself, too?”

“I only need them on really busy days. Besides cutting back on some carbs, I’m not really dieting right now.”

“Oh.” Key glanced to the side in mild annoyance. No wonder he still had those muscles. His label seemed to treat him more fairly than others.

Minho’s eyes lit up. “Hey, how about we grab dinner after this?”

Key raised an eyebrow in disbelief. “Come again?”

“After our promotions are done, when we don’t have to diet, I’ll treat you to a meal. Since you helped me last week.”

“You really don’t have to do that.”

“I want to. Plus, I have to find some time to return your clothes.”

Key hesitated. He didn’t think Minho was being serious before about returning the favor. He figured that he was just saying that to be polite. 

“...If you’re serious… alright, sure.” Key did want his clothes back, after all.

“Great! Do you know when you’ll be free?”

“Off hand? No, I don’t think so.”

“That’s okay.” Minho fished his phone out of his pocket and handed it to Key. “Here, add your Talk ID and we can coordinate.”

They exchanged KakaoTalk IDs. “Just so you know, I don’t text that often.”

“You’d better respond, at least. I don’t want to bring your clothes here of all places and have all eyes on me.”

Key chuckled. “Did your manager say anything when he saw you in those clothes?”

“He asked me when I started wearing bucket hats. I told him my friend was trying to be considerate.”

“Do you think he suspected anything?”

“Hard to say. He was supposed to take me back to the dorm after the club, but he also drank, so I don’t know how he got back. I told him I crashed at with a non-celebrity friend, and he seemed cool with it. And then we just talked about my win from last week and my schedule. I think we’re safe.”

Key detected a hint of annoyance in that last sentence. “You don’t sound too thrilled about your win.”

Minho rolled his eyes and sighed. “You know how it is. Mass streaming, rigged votes, buying albums in bulk. I'm not sure if a win really counts for anything at this point.”

Key turned in his chair to face him. “Hey, your song’s good, too. Sure, your fans are clearly passionate, but they wouldn’t be streaming and buying your song so much if they didn’t like it.”

Minho’s eyes widened. Key worried he had said something rude, until Minho responded.

“...You like my song?”

Key firmly nodded. “Yea, of course.” He marveled at Minho’s genuinely surprised expression. “I haven’t heard the album yet because I’ve been busy, but I’ve listened to the title track. It’s really good.”

He wasn’t lying. He didn’t just check out Minho’s music to scope out the competition; in fact, he genuinely loved listening to the latest releases in Kpop. As much as Minho reminded him of the areas he lacked, in his downtime, Key was able to push that negativity aside just enough to appreciate the music itself. Minho was an artist, at the end of the day, and it showed through in his songs.

Key didn’t think someone as conversational as Minho could ever be speechless like this.

“…Thank you.”

Key smirked. “You look surprised. You didn’t think your songs were good?”

“...No! I mean, not to brag, I do like my songs, and I'm thankful so many people are listening to them. I just didn’t think that you…” Minho waved his hand. “...Never mind. It’s nothing.” Minho looked away, but Key noticed a smile creeping onto his face. It was different from before when they were just talking.

This wasn’t a polite smile; this was one of genuine appreciation. That brought a grin to Key’s own face.

After a moment of silence, Minho, still grinning, confessed. “I really like your album, too.” Before Key could brush off his kindness, Minho affirmed. “It’s different from your other releases. I like what you do with your vocal technique this time.”

Key’s smile grew wider, knowing that Minho wasn’t praising him just to be nice or return the sentiment. Before he could respond, a group of younger idols in leather approached them enthusiastically.

“Key sunbaenim! You’re up.”

“Hwaiting!!”

“Thank you! You worked hard!” Key waved toward them. As they walked away, he turned back to Minho, wanting to keep the conversation going, even though he knew he had to get on stage. He spoke shyly, something he wasn’t used to. “Thank you. Text me when you want dinner.”

Minho raised a fist for encouragement. “Of course, see you around.”

Key bowed slightly, his spirits lifted, and made his way to the stage.