Caring for the sake of what, exactly?

Caring

Just a little fluffy blurb I wrote ages ago. Posting some TaeKey for RainStormRaider.. This is a one-shot no way in relation to the one after it.


 

Taemin yawned as the sound of sizzling bacon met his ears. None of the other hyungs were awake yet, it was just Key, cooking away at breakfast. Key had looked surprised when Taemin came downstairs, frowning and telling Taemin that he’d woken up unusually early.

Which made Taemin wonder – what time did Key usually wake up?

“It smells good,” Taemin mumbled, stifling another yawn and using his hand to waft the scent towards his nose.

“Of course it does, silly,” Key said softly, letting out a small laugh and looking up at Taemin with a warm expression. “It’s bacon.”

“Hurry, hyung! Before everyone else comes downstairs!” Taemin pressed, leaning over the counter and sniffing the air more so.

Key chuckled, and flipped the bacon. He reached up onto the shelf and pulled out a plate, placing it on the counter, before working on the scrambled eggs on the side.

“You really like cooking, don’t you?” Taemin asked lightly, watching the older boy at work. It was always comforting to see Key busying himself in the kitchen – Taemin never knew why.

Comfort. Key provided that for Taemin in more ways than he knew was possible. Taemin smiled to himself, listening to Key hum some song under his breath as he worked with breakfast.

“I like cooking for you guys,” Key said after a moment, sliding some eggs onto a plate and accompanying it with crisp pieces of bacon.

“Just for us?” Taemin wondered outloud, frowning.

Key looked up at Taemin, and then smiled, turning around and putting the plate filled with food on the counter, pushing it towards Taemin.

“Just for you,” He said, that smile Taemin loved playing on his lips, before turning back to the stove, humming once more.

“Why?” Taemin asked, grabbing a fork and picking at the food, breathing in the scent before placing the portions in his mouth.

“Watching you enjoy something I make – that’s the satisfaction of feeding people you care about.” Key answered, and Taemin swallowed, frowning.

“What about you? Does the food taste good for you too?” Taemin asked, stabbing the eggs with his fork and stuffing his mouth once more.

“Why should that matter, as long as you like it?” Key asked absently, and there was a hissing sound as he added a little oil to the frying pan.

Taemin paused with the fork half way to his mouth, looking dumbounded up at Key.

“Of…of course it matters, doesn’t it hyung?” Taemin lowered the fork, scrunching up his face in confusion.

Key put some eggs and bacon on another plate, and then opened the top cupboard, pulling out a glass.

“Sure, Taemin. Do you want milk or orange juice?” It didn’t seem like Key was listening to him, and even as Taemin started to answer, Key had already taken the milk out of the fridge and started to pour.

“M..milk…” Taemin said slowly, and continued to stare at the older boy, even after the glass of milk was set in front of his plate.

“Is there anything else you’d like, Taeminnie?” Key asked, smiling brightly at Taemin, who felt overwhelmed for some reason.

“You should eat too, neh hyung?”

Key blinked, continuing to smile, and tilted his head to a side.

“Once everyone else has had their full,” Key turned back to the stove, and footsteps indicated that Taemin was no longer the only one with Key in the kitchen.

“BACON!?” Jonghyun shouted excitedly, running into the kitchen towards Key. He reached out towards one of the plates, and Key smacked his hand with the spatula, shooting the boy a glare.

“Have you washed your hands?” Key asked, glaring at Jonghyun who pouted looking at the plate.

“Yes, umma,” Jonghyun said, staring at the food with a dazed expression on his face.

“And your teeth too?” Key asked skeptically, and Taemin wanted to laugh at the resentful expression on Jonghyun’s face.

“Treat me like a hyung, once in a while, won’t you?” He grumbled, and reached out for the food slowly, before being hit with the spatula again.

“Go sit down first, I have to divide the portions up properly.” Key said sternly, and Jonghyun sighed, turning around and sitting next to Taemin, throwing his hands down on the counter and staring at Taemin.

“You got food.”

“He was early,” Key cut in, before Taemin could reply. Taemin smirked at Jonghyun before shoving some eggs in his mouth and chewing.

Soon enough all the other hyungs had come downstairs too, and Key lay out the plates on the counter. Onew shot Key a grateful smile before taking his plate, Minho nodded at Key before taking his, and Jonghyun grabbed his plate and attacked the food wildly.

By the time the others started eating, Taemin had already finished. He noticed Key start to wash the dishes, and wondered when Key would eat breakfast. Shrugging to himself, he handed Key the dish and hurried up the stairs to get ready for school.

After he’d finished showering, he threw on his school uniform and walked out of his room to see Key again, in the washroom, drying his face with a face towel, another towel tied around his waist.

Taemin blushed a little and averted his eyes.

“I’m going to go to school now, neh?” He said, clearing his throat at how flustered he suddenly felt. Key usually closed the door whenever he was in the washroom.

“Ah, really? Oh, your hair’s a complete mess.” Taemin looked up to see Key tuck the towel onto the little railing, and turning to Taemin, grabbing a comb and stepping towards Taemin.

Taemin noticed Key’s wet hair flop flawlessly into his face, and Key shook his head a little, trying to get it out of his eyes, before shooting Taemin a small smile and working on his hair.

Taemin’s eyes trailed down Key’s body, he really did have perfect skin, and almost felt a little breathless. It was a really awkward feeling, really, flustered and he wasn’t really sure what to do with them.

“Ugh, your hair’s slightly uneven, Taemin-ah.” Key turned around, putting the comb in his mouth and grabbing a pair of scissors from the bathroom shelf, turning back to Taemin. Key’s pink lips were parted, his straight teeth biting into the plastic, as Key’s soft hand accompanied the scissors in his hair. Taemin felt Key grasp gently onto his hair, and the soft snip as he worked away.

Umma.

Taemin smiled a little, looking away from Key’s exposed body and focusing on the mirror next to him. Key’s expression was focused, and his own face was slightly flushed.

“You have to take better care of your appearances, okay?” Key stressed, mouth slightly muffled with the comb in his mouth. Taemin looked back as Key stepped back, putting the scissors down and then taking the comb out of his mouth, running it through Taemin’s hair.

Key was concentrated and caring in all that he did.

And for some reason, Taemin wanted to know why.

“Why do you bother?” Taemin asked, just as abruptly as he had asked the questions earlier that morning, and Key stepped back to admire his work.

Key gave Taemin a funny look at the question.

“Because you’ll look better.”

“So you just want me to look good?” Taemin had no idea why he was pressing such a subject, but it was nagging him, much like Key constantly did with all of them. Nagging him, nudging at him to ask.

Key looked amused.

“Of course I want you to look good, you’re precious to me.” Key said softly, and then proceeded to put down the comb and run his own soft hands through Taemin’s hair.

“But you don’t have to do so much.” Taemin felt stubborn almost, as if he was trying to make a point, but not quite knowing what that point was.

Key paused, a crease in his forehead as he looked at Taemin curiously.

“Don’t I?”

Taemin blinked.

“What?”

“Don’t I have to? That’s the only way, isn’t it?” Key’s voice had gone somewhat quiet, pondering almost, and it bugged Taemin more than the carefree tone the boy often used.

“Only way for what?” Taemin tiled his head to a side, and Key’s hand slide from his hair to cradle the side of his face, in a gentle manner.

Key his lips, still frowning a little at the other boy.

“The more I care for someone, the more they’ll care back, right?” It wasn’t really a question, but Key raised his voice slightly at the end, half smiling at Taemin before dropping his hand from Taemin’s face.

Taemin missed the contact almost immediately, but not as much as he was confused at the words that had left the other boy’s lips.

“What do you mean?”

“If you treat people carefully and with love, then they’ll treat you back the same way – that’s how it works.” Key smiled at Taemin, nodding to himself at his words.

Taemin opened his mouth and then closed it.

Wait, did that mean Key thought that they wouldn’t love him any other way?

“No, but-“

“You’re going to be late for school, Taemin-ah.” Key turned around and picked up the comb again, this time running it through the wet strands of hair. “I left your lunch on the counter, so don’t forget to take it, okay?” Key smiled at Taemin again, before returning to the mirror.

Taemin stood there for some time, watching the other boy tend to his hair.

Before he knew it, he’d taking two steps forward and wrapped his arms around Key, ignoring the fact that Key wasn’t wearing a shirt and he felt Key’s soft somewhat cold skin against his own clothes.

“You don’t have to try so hard, hyung,” Taemin mumbled, not really sure why it felt important he stress this, but saying it regardless. “We all love you anyway.”

Key tensed up at first at Taemin’s arms, and then relaxed.

Key pulled back a little, and ruffled Taemin’s hair, almost smirking.

“I know that, Taemin. I am the almighty Key. I never push myself, so don’t worry about me, neh?” Key let his hand linger in Taemin’s hair, and Taemin had the strong urge to cry.

“We do love you,” He repeated, looking Key in the eyes, and Key let out a small laugh

“I know, Taemin. Now hurry up and go to school, okay?”

Taemin let go of Key, suddenly feeling sheepish at his bold actions, and looked away, feeling the blush creep up his cheeks.

“Yeah. Okay. Bye hyung,” Taemin cleared his throat again before turning around and walking out of the washroom, pulling the door closed as he did.

He cleared his throat again, patting his face slightly, and then frowned.

Key did do too much. That’s why he thought they all loved him.

That wasn’t the case at all. All the older boy had to be was himself.

Taemin hurried down the stairs and saw Onew on the couch, poring over a book. His eyes found Minho, sitting on the floor putting a video game into the game system, and then at Jonghyun, who was raiding the fridge – didn’t he just have breakfast?

Taemin decided that once he came home from school, he’d be the one – with the help of Onew of course – to make dinner.

Maybe that would show Key.

Show Key that they all loved him regardless.