Fighting Hunger

Fighting Hunger
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mina was close to pacing a hole in the carpet as she racked her brain for any solution to this predicament that didn’t require canceling movie night. She had planned this not-quite-a-date with Chaeyoung weeks ago, back when she thought she would be fine. Of course, it was only a few days ago that her blood pack supplier informed her that they had run out. They had said it would only take a couple days and she would be fine if she could wait that long, and she had waited to no avail. They had bailed on her due to ‘unforeseen circumstances,’ which either meant someone else beat her to the supply, or they had gotten caught. She hoped it was the former, otherwise she was going to have to reach out to less reputable sources to get some. Either way, she was screwed for tonight. 

 

grew increasingly parched the longer she thought about how hungry she was. She forced herself to drink some water, trying to calm down and get her fangs to retract before Chaeyoung arrived. Mina took in deep, even breaths as she reminded herself that she had control over her thirst. This wasn’t the first time she had gone this long without blood, she knew she could make it through the night. She had to. She steeled her resolve to behave tonight and track down a supplier tomorrow. 

 

A knock at the door startles her, and she runs her tongue along her top teeth to make sure her fangs are gone before walking towards the entryway to answer it. A second series of knocks thud against her apartment door as she twists the handle, opening it up with a smile. She was met with dimples so cute she wanted to poke them, but instead stepped aside to allow Chaeyoung into the apartment. 

 

Chaeyoung’s hair was tied up in a messy bun, her bangs framing her face in waves. She turns her back to Mina as she takes off her jean jacket, revealing the black artsy tank top beneath. The thin straps expose her neck and shoulders, and Mina's eyes subconsciously dart to her pulse point. It's a steady beat pulling her in as she takes a step closer to Chaeyoung, before snapping to her senses and leaving for the kitchen before Chaeyoung finishes hanging up her jacket. 

 

Mina busies herself with grabbing some glasses, realizing she would be downing water like a madwoman tonight to curb her thirst, but a quick glance towards Chaeyoung playing with her phone gave her some comfort. She would need to keep a reasonable distance from her tonight, for both of their safety. 

 

The crunch of ice clicks against the glass she’s holding, and she lets the splash of the water against the ice distract her from her heartbeat getting louder, the closer Chaeyoung got. Mina reaches for the second glass without looking, knowing Chaeyoung is standing right next to her and not wanting to risk a glance. Chaeyoung’s hand brushes against hers as she grabs the glass, the warmth sending a shock through her. 

 

“Why are you so cold?” Chaeyoung worriedly asks her as she leans closer to Mina.

 

“I’m always cold.” Mina laughs a little nervously as she backs up a few steps, not sure if the thundering in her ears is her own heartbeat or Chaeyoung’s. 

 

 “No, but you look really pale too.” Chaeyoung’s brows furrow as she studies Mina’s complexion. “More than usual.”

 

“Oh?” Mina swallows hard and tries to inhale as little as possible. 

 

“Do you feel sick?” Chaeyoung’s hand presses against Mina’s forehead as she places one against her own for comparison. “It doesn’t seem like you have a fever.” 

 

Mina thought her heart was going to explode. She could feel Chaeyoung’s heartbeat thrumming through her wrist, calling to her. Her neck was so close, her head leaning to one side as she looked for any symptoms of an illness. Mina could almost taste the sweet scent pulling her in. She grit her teeth, feeling the fangs poking at her bottom lip threatening to spill blood and expose her. 

 

“I’m fine.” She manages to get out around the lump in . Her instincts wrestling with her to just grab and bite the woman in front of her. 

 

Every muscle in her body straining itself, trying to keep her as still as possible. It’s only at the sharp sound of cracking and shattering that she can breathe again. Mina tears her eyes from Chaeyoung’s neck to see the mess she had made of the cup. Blood running down her hand, and shards of glass littering the floor. Mina watches stunned as drops of red fall to the ground, staining the sharp edges. 

 

“Oh my god are you okay?” Chaeyoung gasps, grabbing Mina’s hand to check it for serious injuries. “Go wash it under warm water, I’ll clean this.”

 

Mina couldn’t move, couldn’t speak, could only watch as Chaeyoung crouched down and started picking up some of the shards. Something inside of her wouldn’t let her move, waiting patiently for some slip-up. Mina wasn’t sure if it was meant to be her slip-up or Chaeyoung’s. 

 

“Ah!” Chaeyoung hisses in pain. The sweetest scent Mina has ever had the pleasure of indulging in fills her nose. 

 

By the time Chaeyoung looks up at her again, Mina is pressed hard against the wall. Her fangs stabbing into her bottom lip, she turns her nose praying it’ll lessen the temptation. If Chaeyoung takes even a step near her, Mina’s convinced her nails are going to puncture the wall instead of just denting it. Anything to keep her cemented to this wall and far from the blood beading around the cut on Chaeyoung’s finger. 

 

“What’s wrong?” Chaeyoung asks, starting to step towards Mina before having a sudden realization. “Oh, right. Your fear of blood. Sorry, I’ll go wash it off. I’ll be right back.” 

 

Mina’s eyes dart back to Chaeyoung’s injury as she stands up. The beaded blood forms a droplet that drips down to splash against the glass on the floor. She her lips, swallowing hard. Mina pries herself off the wall so she can clean up the glass like a normal person before Chaeyoung gets back from the bathroom. Thoughts racing as she tries to come up with a good way to tell Chaeyoung that she’s not feeling too well after all and that she should go, without hurting her feelings. 

 

“Mina? I can’t find the bandages!” Chaeyoung calls from the open bathroom door. 

 

“They’re in the mirror cabinet!” She calls back, trying to appear as calm and put together as possible.

 

Mina tries not to focus on the drops of blood on the pieces of glass she's gathering, convincing herself that it’s all her own blood. She hears rustling in the bathroom, various bottles and items being moved around, as she dumps the pieces into the trash.

 

“I don’t see them!” Chaeyoung yells out. 

 

“Search harder, I know they’re there!”

 

“Could you just come find them for me? Please?” The lilt in her voice brings out the softness in Mina’s heart.

 

She steels herself as she walks into the bathroom, forcing herself to believe that she isn’t a danger. Even with the intoxicating scent of the blood splattered against the porcelain of the sink. Chaeyoung’s hand hovers over the sink, the streaks of red still on her finger. Mina stands as still as a statue in the doorway, trying to breathe without inhaling or alerting Chaeyoung that something was wrong.

 

“You should wash it off first.” Mina swallows hard, unable to tear her eyes away from the wound. 

 

“Could y

Please log in to read the full chapter