1/2

Find me in the library

Kazuha was slumped over the table as she couldn’t bring herself to be more productive than she already was. She thought that maybe studying inside the school’s library would get her to work but it had only worked for a while before she felt exhaustion creeping in quickly. Chewing softly on the insides of her cheeks she can’t believe how she only got to finish one project despite being here for almost an hour. She decides to distract herself as she allows her eyes to roam around the library. There were certainly students who committed to finishing whatever they were doing or studying the lessons that they should finish. She felt herself shrink as she noticed how everyone but her were being productive. As her eyes continued to glance every corner of the library, her eyes stopped at a certain table. There was a student who was sleeping. Kazuha felt like she could breathe a little when she let it sink in that at least she wasn’t the only one who couldn’t do anything productive. Although it did seem a bit rude to assume whether or not the person who Kazuha had her eyes on wasn’t being productive. The more Kazuha looks around the student’s table she notices how there were books being stacked as well as a closed notebook beside it. It seemed as though Kazuha was staring way too long that she failed to notice how the girl had shifted slightly from her seat before sitting up. 

 

Kazuha only then realizes that the girl was awake when they lock eyes. Embarrassed that she had been caught staring, Kazuha quickly averts her gaze, cheeks turning a shade of pink. She decides to pretend that she was engrossed in her own work, even though her mind is racing with thoughts of the girl she just unintentionally stared at.

 

The girl, seeing Kazuha's reaction, lets out a soft chuckle. “Hey, don't worry about it.” Kazuha could faintly hear the girl’s whisper. “I'm used to people staring whenever I fall asleep in the library.” She jokes, her voice was gentle and warm. Curiosity gets the better of Kazuha, and she can't help but steal another glance. She had once again failed to notice that the girl had gotten up from her seat to walk towards Kazuha. The girl, with a playful smile, lifts a hand in greeting. “I'm Chaewon, by the way. It's nice to meet you.” She introduces herself. Feeling a lot more embarrassed than before, Kazuha nervously smiles back and introduces herself, “I'm Kazuha. Nice to meet you too, Chaewon.” As they exchange pleasantries, Kazuha realizes that she feels surprisingly at ease with Chaewon. 

 

They strike up an easy conversation, talking about their majors, Kazuha finds out that Chaewon was apparently older and was a music major. Suddenly embarrassment rushes in as Kazuha tries to be formal with Chaewon who laughs at her attempt. They later talk about their interests, and the struggles of staying productive in a quiet environment like the library. Chaewon learns more about Kazuha as she finds herself opening up about her own challenges, and Chaewon listens attentively, nodding sympathetically. “I tend to follow along with my plan but after a while my mind just drifts somewhere that I never realized how much time had passed.” Kazuha couldn’t believe the fact that here she was opening up about her strugglings with someone she doesn’t even know, but there was something about Chaewon that made her feel safe to explain her situation. 

 

“I totally get what you mean.” Is what Chaewon says after realizing that Kazuha was done explaining her struggles. “Sometimes it's hard to focus when there's so much going on in our minds,” Chaewon says, nodding her head as she let out a sigh before looking at Kazuha straight in the eyes. “But don't be too hard on yourself. Taking breaks and chatting with someone can actually help you recharge and be more productive later.”

 

Kazuha appreciates Chaewon's words and finds comfort in the fact that she's not alone in her struggles. They continue talking for a while, and it's as if the library's atmosphere had continuously gone up the longer she talked to Chaeown. 

 

“So what were you doing here in the library?” Kazuha asks as Chaewon rests her elbows on the table. “Well, we had free time and I lacked sleep so I decided to come here before I go and meet with some of my classmates for a project.” She shrugs as she checks her phone. “It’s still pretty early anyways so I have a lot of time to spare, I hope I’m not bothering you.” Chaewon looks at her apologetically to which Kazuha dismisses. “You didn’t bother me, I appreciate your company even.” It was true. With Chaewon’s presence the library didn’t feel as dreadful as before. “Well I can keep you company while you do your projects. I can just skim through my notes so I don’t bother you completely.” Kazuha liked the idea as she nodded her head. Chaewon seemed to take Kazuha’s nod as a response and immediately stood up to pick up her stuff that she had left on her table. Kazuha takes it as a chance to turn on her laptop and continue where she left off. Unlike before she actually felt motivated to finish more projects as she starts typing and typing while scanning her notes occasionally. “What sorts of projects do you have?” Chaewon asks and this was probably the first time Kazuha has ever looked away from the screen and her notes as she hears Chaewon ask her a question. “It’s mostly just digesting different works and writing down summaries.” Kazuha could see Chaewon wince from her peripheral vision and this makes Kazuha chuckle. “Does your brain never get fried from it?” Chaewon furrows her eyebrows and the question makes Kazuha laugh even more. “Hey I’m serious.” She pouts and Kazuha nods her head. “It does fry my brain especially when the work that I have to summarize uses complex words, it’s a struggle for me who is, you know, a foreigner.” Kazuha admits and the older could only nod her head before she lets Kazuha continue with her projects. 

 

Time seems to speed up as Kazuha realizes that she had finished a handful more than how much she did before Chaewon moved to her table. Stretching her arms, it catches Chaewon’s attention who was on her phone. “Did you finish a lot?” She asks and Kazuha grins proudly. “I did, and it’s thanks to you for keeping me company.” Kazuha’s words seem to make Chaewon playfully roll her eyes as she shakes her head. “What are you even talking about, it was all on you.” Chaewon throws Kazuha a playful look before glancing at her watch. She pouts as she looks at Kazuha who seems confused. “It looks like I should get going. I still have to go meet with some classmates for a project.” She says regretfully. Kazuha realizes that her time with Chaewon was already over before she knew it. “Oh, yeah, you should probably go now. Wouldn’t want to make your group mates wait right?” She says, feeling a little disappointed that their conversation has come to an end.

 

Chaewon smiles warmly. “Hey, if you ever want to take a break and chat again, just find me here in the library. I'm often here studying, and I'll be glad to have some company.” She offers, her smile felt blinding to Kazuha as she felt her own heart flutter at the thought of spending more time with Chaewon. “That sounds nice. I'd love to.” She replies with a shy smile.

 

As Chaewon gathers her things and prepares to leave, Kazuha's eyes follow her movements, and she can't help but feel a sense of anticipation. The library, once a place of struggle and frustration, now holds the promise of a potential friendship and maybe even something more.