Pt 2

A Story From A Different Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

He signed up for one of my weekend reading programs reading to children. I don’t know what I expected him to look like. Maybe like other people in their twenties who often showed up to these events in jeans and a t-shirt. Nonetheless, I was shocked when he showed up to the training program in a leather clad outfit. He looked soooo tough back then! Later I learned that he had come right from work to attend the training. He had been very worried that other people at the training would give him funny looks for his tough outfit. 

He shuffled up to me to check in and listened to the session, nodding along and taking notes. He even came around after the session with a list of questions that he was too shy to ask in front of everyone, all the while, a small smile was on his face.

I went home that night with mixed feelings. 

He was so sweet and no one would reasonably throw a fit about him helping out at the center. That being said how would the kids react to someone heavily tattooed and covered in leather? How would parents react to him?

Many of the kids hadn’t seen more than one or two tattoos and they went wild for them… and tattoos were still taboo generally. You knew they’d have mixed reactions to Taehyung. I’d hoped that it would be good for them.

What I hadn’t expected for the first session was for Taehyung to show up thirty minutes sooner than asked... which was a whole hour before children would show up. I was taken aback from how he looked today.

Baggy jeans, a loose shirt, and a soft yellow cardigan. His tattoos were somewhat hidden. His left hand was taped up to hide his tattoos but not everything was hidden as well. The tattoos under his shirt looked almost like ghosts under his t-shirt, especially when it touched his skin. If one wasn't looking closely it might have looked like he was wearing a very faded styled shirt. 

He looked much softer than he had the day before.

I was struck by him. 

The whole first thirty minutes were very awkward though because I didn't have much to do before the adults arrived. There was no way I would have managed to move 30 small desks around the day of a session so I had done most of the preparations for the program last night. 

In the end, we settled for making some coffee. It wasn't the best. The Keurig only had a few off-brand light roast blends, but Taehyung’s company made it worthwhile. 

"I wish that I could have the classroom set up like this all the time. My students would love it." I sighed looking around the soft and inviting space. 

The desks were pushed against the cubbies and used as barriers to seperate off different reading sections. Blankets were thrown over the ones being used as barriers to soften the whole vibe. I'd even gone through the work to grab all the soft and comfortable chairs I could find in the building to use. I had also spent some time organizing all the books by their difficulty at the table up front for adults to grab for their student groups. It was a beautiful setup and would help the day go by smoothly.

The place looked so soft and inviting… so unlike my normal classroom.

"You've done an amazing setting up the space, Y/n-ssi." 

"Thank you!"

He held my gaze for a few seconds, his cup awkwardly held up as if about to take a sip. I imagine it was uncomfortable. I could barely hold the cup for a few seconds before the coffee’s heat became too much for my sensitive fingers.

Now I know that his hands had long since gotten used to heat from the needles tattoo artists use. 

Instead of taking a sip, he broke eye contact and looked around with a deep sigh, "The place is so different from the tattoo shop I work at. It's a nice change. The tattoo shop I work at definitely leans into the grunge aesthetic."

I laughed, "Yeah. This place isn't very grunge."

Taehyung's deep laugh filled the room, seeming to bounce off of the walls and hug me comfortingly. I liked his laugh even then. 

"Now I want to see this place in a grunge aesthetic."

"Halloween?"

He looked at me thoughtfully then, butterflies filling my stomach as I looked at him. I was tempted to ask him what was going through his head at that moment. As he was about to open his mouth to say something, someone else walked in. 

The moment was lost. 

There were many more moments though. 

During that day and most of the future classes, Taehyung and I shared many soft glances. Sometimes it was during breaks, the kids running around to get drinks and snacks as he sat and waited. Other times, it was while he was reading and I was walking around. Each time though, I felt a warm blush rise up on me. He stayed a little late most sessions as well, spending extra time helping me clean up as the two of us chatted away. His humor drew me in almost immediately. 

I felt like I'd develop a six pack from how much I was laughing. 

I enjoyed it.

On my way to a painting cafe, I found myself ruminating on our conversations. My mind replying back our jokes and conversations. You'd wondered if Taehyung’s actions were showing him wanting to become my friend or if he was being nice. I liked spending time with him and it would be so cool to have a friend who actually enjoyed going to painting cafes. Jihyo, bless her soul, only came begrudgingly after I promised that we would do a 10k race together. 

I shuddered at the thought as I entered the cafe and made my way to Jihyo and I’s reserved table. Tonight would be a fun night for the two of us. I wouldn’t think about Taehyung right now. He was something I could worry about later.

“Listen, unnie. I know I don’t like painting as much as you but you look like you’re dreading tonight.” Jihyo said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Oh? I looked stressed?”

She laughed and nodded, setting her stuff down as she sat down, “You looked like you were about to start writing a lesson plan.”

“Omg! Not at all! I was thinking about someone.”

“Miss. Y/n thinking of someone?! Unheard of!” 

I laughed and shoved Jihyo, “Shut up. That isn’t true… but it is Kim Taehyung. He’s a volunteer for the reading program and I’ve been enjoying his company. I hope if he was too. That’s all.”

“Is he hot?”

“Yes.”

Jihyo wiggled her eyebrows as she cooed, “Then ask him out!”

“No! I don’t even know if he wants to become my friend… I don’t think I could even ask him out.”

“Well… it doesn’t have to be a long term dating thing.”

“No. If I went out with someone, I’d want it to be for a serious relationship. Besides, I don’t even like Taehyung that way.”

Jihyo shrugged, “You’re demi, right? Your feelings could change as you get to know him more.” 

“Perhaps… I don’t want to talk about this anymore though. How’s classes going for you?” 

“Yah! You think that work is a better topic than romance!? I am hurt… but classes are going well. My students aren’t as rough as last year. It is like a breath of fresh air.” 

“I am glad.” I looked down at the canvas that was at my table, “My classes are going decent as well. I have a few kids that need extra help, but they are very nice.” 

“That’s good… now… I have a very important question… Do you have any idea what you’re going to paint?” 

I laughed, “No. Do you?”

“Nope… which is why I need to focus for a little while.” 

I laughed and nodded, grabbing a paintbrush and trying to think about the painting. All my worries lessened for a little as I painted. It was why I liked painting so much. For the time I painted, everything felt easier to manage. My stress was less significant as I focused on something completely different than classes and people. It was also a perfect creative outlet and stress reliever. 

I deeply needed that painting session with Jihyo. It left me feeling refreshed and upbeat. Plus, I found myself planning intensely how to decorate my classroom and my reading room for Halloween. A totally normal thing to do the week before Halloween. I had so much trouble finding inexpensive decorations since so many had been bought already. I found myself often falling down rabbit holes of DIY decorations and sites that were selling tons of decorations for cheap. That was what Taehyung found me doing when he showed up early for the next weekend reading session. 

I jumped when he first spoke, too engrossed by the search to notice him, “Those decorations don’t look very grunge.” He said as he entered and sat next to me. 

“Ohhhh. You’re right! Want to help me look for some more grunge ones?” 

He nodded and we found ourselves in a comfortable silence as we scrolled through a site. With him, I filled my wishlist with tons of cool decorations. I had low hopes of actually getting them approved but I didn’t have the heart to tell him that, he looked way too excited at the fun items we were finding. 

“I am so tempted to get some of these for myself. They are so cool!” 

“They are. I hope that I am able to get some with how close it is to halloween.” 

Taehyung laughed, “I am rooting for you!”

I blushed and nodded, “Thank you. If not, I will probably have to stay up and make some myself. It’ll be fun though. I like painting so it’s not like it’ll be a painful task.”

“Oh? Painting? I didn’t know!” 

“There is a lot that you don’t know about me, Taehyung-ah.” I said jokingly, gently shoving his shoulder.

“I’d like to learn more about you. How long have you been painting?” 

“Five or so years at this point. I am not the best but it’s good stress relief and it is very fun.” 

“Art is so nice. I feel similar with drawing. Been drawing for eight or so years and tattooing for four. I find them so relaxing.” 

I nodded, “Tattooing sounds stressful to me… what if you make a mistake?” 

“Well, then I got to improvise!” Taehyung laughed, “If you want help with ma

Please log in to read the full chapter