No dads to hurt us anymore

Killing our Ghosts

Minjeong tried her best to focus on the movie playing on the big screen, but her mind drifted every five minutes.

The talk with Yerim.

Wasn’t it better to just get done with it instead of letting it for the next day? To put an end to that anxiety, that lingering fear that it somehow would go wrong.

No, it wouldn’t.

After the movie, a funny one this time, not an emotional roller coaster to leave Minjeong crying again, they hit the arcade, just like the past weekend.

Later, at home. Right after dinner. That was a good time for it.

So, when they finished eating the delicious sushi Jimin bought for them, and as they were about to move to the living room, Minjeong let Yerim go ahead and grabbed Jimin’s hand.

“Let’s talk to her.”

Jimin smiled at her. “Yes, let’s do it.”

Yerim had already the controllers in her hands, the Mario Kart menu showing on the TV.

“Y-Yerimie, can we talk a bit before we play?” Minjeong asked, sitting down on the couch.

Yerim’s eyes jumped between her and Jimin. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong,” Jimin said. “We just want to tell you something. Can you sit here?” She patted the couch between them.

Hesitantly, Yerim put down the controllers and sat. “Okay, what is it?”

Minjeong gulped, balling her trembling fists. She imagined that moment so much throughout the day that she had already a way to start the conversation, but it still didn’t make it easier. She shared a look with Jimin, and with her nod, she took in a deep breath.

“Remember the last weekend? Right when Jimin was about to leave. Remember what you said?”

Yerim irked an eyebrow, thinking hard. “I said I wanted to go to the beach again. Are we going tomorrow again?” Her face lit up.

Jimin chuckled. “If your mom agrees, we can go. But that’s not what we mean. Don’t you remember something you said... about me?”

Yerim faced her. “I said that if mom wasn’t my mom, I would like you to be.”

Jimin glanced at Minjeong again, and she didn’t need her to say anything, she knew how nervous she also was.

“That’s right, you said that. Then you said that you even would like both to be your moms, right?”

“Yes.” Yerim looked at Minjeong then. “Were you sad that I said that?”

“No! No, no, that’s not it.” Minjeong held her smaller hand in hers and sighed. “What we mean to say is... that...”

Jimin dropped to the floor, kneeling in front of Yerim, and held her other hand. “Yerim, me and your mom love each other a lot. And we’re not just... good friends.”

Minjeong got the hint, and squeezing Yerim’s hand, she got her to meet her eyes. “Me and Jimin are girlfriends.”

Yerim blinked. “Girlfriends? Like, a real couple?”

“Yes. We’ve been for a while now, and we thought it was the time to tell you.”

“And that’s why, if you want me to, I could also... be, like... a mom,” Jimin said.

“Really?” Yerim widened her eyes. “Can I really have two moms?”

Jimin nodded. “You can.”

Yerim faced Minjeong, shock on her face.

“W-What do you think of it?” Minjeong asked.

“That’s so cool!” Yerim almost jumped in her seat.

Jimin’s tensed face relaxed, and she smiled. Minjeong, though, felt as if another weight had been lifted from her chest.

“I was scared that if Mom got another boyfriend, he would be bad for her, and treat her bad again, and I didn’t want another dad that would make us feel bad,” Yerim said, looking ahead at Jimin. “But you’re so cool and nice, and you make Mom smile a lot, so I’m happy we got you instead. And you have to be a good person for Mom to like you, so I’m sure you make her happy.”

Minjeong burst out crying, pulling Yerim to her chest, hugging and caressing her hair. “Awn, Yerimie.” She sniffed and cupped her cheeks. “No dads to hurt us anymore, alright?”

Yerim nodded. “Why are you crying?”

“Because I’m just so happy.”

Jimin chuckled, but quickly wiped a tear from her eyes as well. “We’re really happy that you accepted us so well.”

“I asked for two moms, and that was what I got. And I’m happy that they’re the both of you!”

“You’re the sweetest kid ever, did you know that?” Jimin beamed.

“Mom tells me that all the time. Well, both moms call me that now.”

Jimin stared at Yerim until her lower lip started trembling, and she had to hide her face in her hands as she let the tears run down her eyes.

“Are those happy tears too?” Yerim asked.

“Yes.” Jimin nodded, cleaning her eyes. “Yes, they are.”

“But if you’re both happy, you should be smiling and laughing!” Yerim said, pouting.

Minjeong chuckled. “Yes, you’re right, Yerimie. Thank you, sunshine.” She kissed her forehead.

“Let’s go play? I’m sure I can beat Jimin now!”

Jimin stood up and sat next to her. “Oh, is that right? Let’s see then!”

Fire burned in Yerim’s eyes as she fetched for the controllers again. And while she set the game up, Minjeong stared at them with a lingering smile on her lips now. Jimin smiled back at her, that heart warming smile of hers.

“Oh, and can we go to the beach tomorrow, then?” Yerim asked.

“Of course. We can even stay to watch the sunset again, if Jimin agrees.”

Yerim turned her head, pleading eyes at her.

“Only if you win against me.”

“Then I have to win!”

Jimin laughed. “I’m joking, of course we’ll stay to watch the sunset. After eating some marinated crab?”

Yerim threw her arms in the air. “We’re having crab again!”

It already felt so natural, Minjeong didn’t feel like anything big changed. But in fact, Yerim seemed even more excited this time, if that was even possible. Oh, and also, the fact that Minjeong let Jimin hold her hand as they made their way from the parking lot to their spot ahead at the beach, and when they walked together to go for a swim. Minjeong caught Yerim staring at their hands once with a smile on her lips, but the girl didn’t say anything. Slowly, they would get more comfortable around her, so it wasn’t overwhelming for her as well.

After filling their stomach with amazing and delicious food, they made their way back to the beach again to watch the sunset.

“We didn’t talk about moving yesterday,” Minjeong whispered to Jimin “Do you think it’s still early?”

“If we intend on doing it soon, I guess it would be nice for her to get used to the idea. And ask about her opinion first as well.”

Minjeong nodded. “Then let’s tell her.”

Yerim sat down between them just like last time, the three of them facing ahead and waiting for the sun to do its own show.

“Yerimie,” Minjeong called, and she hummed. “How would you feel if we could live in a bigger, nicer house?”

“I like our house.”

“I know, I like it too. But what if we could have a better one? That would be nice, right?”

“I guess.”

“Then... would you like it if the two of us lived with Jimin?”

Yerim faced her, eyes big on her face, then looked at Jimin, and then back at her mom. “In her house?”

Minjeong gulped and nodded.

“We would move to Jimin’s house, and live together?”

“I-It’s okay if you don’t want to, we were just suggesting-“

“Will I have a bigger room?” Yerim turned to Jimin, excitement audible in her voice. "Can I have a TV in my room?!"

Jimin exchanged a widen eyed look with Minjeong. “Yes, of course. And you can choose how you would like your room to be. You can have the walls painted in any color you want!”

“Really? And can we have a dog?”

Minjeong dropped her chin, not containing a laugh. “Yerimie!”

“I always wanted to have a dog, you know that!”

“Yeah, we can,” Jimin said.

“Really?!” Yerim gasped.

Minjeong didn’t say anything, too surprised at her. Jimin, though, had this smile on her lips as she faced ahead at the sun descending on the sky. “Yes. You know, I had a dog when I was younger. I miss him very much, but I think having another one is a great idea. You like dogs, right, Minjeong?”

“I-I do, I love dogs.”

“Then let’s adopt a puppy, and raise it together. How does that sound?”

“For real?” Yerim asked. “But like, for real real?”

Jimin nodded, her melodic chuckle like a burst of heat inside Minjeong’s chest.

“For real! I’m really not joking, or saying this without being sure I want to.”

Yerim’s ear-to-ear grin soon turned into a frown as she began crying. “Thank you! Thank you so much!”

Minjeong rested an arm around her shoulder, half smiling half wanting to cry as well. “Today’s your turn to cry happy tears.”

“We’re gonna have a dog, mom!”

“Yes, sweetheart. So, you... you wanna go live with Jimin?”

Yerim nodded, cleaning her eyes. And it felt like yet another weight lifted from Minjeong’s chest.

“Where do you live?” Yerim asked when she calmed down a bit.

“Not that far from where you live, actually.”

“And when are we going?”

“When do you want to go?”

Yerim shrugged. “Whenever you want to go.”

“We were thinking during your summer vacation,” Minjeong said. “Does that sound good?”

“Yes!”

The sun was setting, and silence fell as they marveled at its beauty. Minjeong couldn’t stop smiling. Everything was going well. Way too well, and she had to force sudden bad thoughts that wanted to haunt her head, telling her something bad eventually would happen, sooner or later.

off, bad thoughts. You don’t scare me anymore.

She wouldn’t let them. Not when she had Yerim and Jimin in her life, by her side, and a bright future ahead of them.

---

A/N - The next chapter is already the last one :((( I apologize for being so messy while updating this story tho. Actually, I'll do my best to update the last chapter tomorrow!!!

hope everyone is enjoying ^^

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic