Last Train To Jeju

Last Train To Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IRENE STOOD ON THE BUSTLING PLATFORM of the train station, her heart weighed down by a heavy mixture of nostalgia and longing. The air was thick with the scent of departing dreams and the promise of new beginnings. It had been years since she last saw Seulgi, the person who had once been her peace, her partner in crime, and the one who had always understood her without needing words.

 

Their first encounter took place during their formative years in kindergarten. Irene, being the shy and quiet kid that she is, was content in observing her classmates, marveling at their carefree interactions and the harmonious symphony of laughter that enveloped the playground. Seulgi, with an infectious smile, noticed Irene sitting alone on the swing and approached her, her eyes twinkling with warmth and her cherubic cheeks protruding playfully.

 

Since then, the two of them have been inseparable. They would share their snacks together, play alone together, talk about their favourite cartoon, share their dreams, and places they want to visit.

 

“Let’s visit Jeju!” Seulgi giggles, and Irene shakes her head.

 

“We’re too young, Seulgi.”

 

“Then let’s wait until we’re older!”

 

Throughout their high school years, their bond grew stronger. Seulgi being a member in the track and field team mirrored her vibrant energy, while Irene's dedication to the school's student council showcased her leadership and organizational skills. Despite their opposite activities and interests, their personalities drew them closer, effortlessly bridging the gap between their differences.

 

Each day, without fail, Seulgi would patiently await for Irene at her house, a familiar routine that signaled the beginning of their shared journey to school. And as the final bell echoed through the halls, signaling the end of classes, Seulgi would insist on accompanying Irene back home, even if it meant walking in the opposite direction of her own house. In those moments, Irene could sense a gentle flutter in her heart, knowing deep down that she had fallen for Seulgi.

 

“Thank you again, trackstar.” Irene mumbles, feeling her heart beat faster.

 

"Anytime, Irene. I'll see you again tomorrow?" Seulgi's voice resonated with a mixture of hope and longing as she watched Irene unlatch the small gate to her house and step inside. But just as Irene was about to disappear from view, she stops in her tracks and looks back at Seulgi.

 

Irene nods, and she gives the athlete a sweet smile. “Take care, Seulgi.”

 

Then, college had come and gone, the turning point where their

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter