Inked Under My Skin

Inked Under My Skin

It's a peaceful day. Three-fifths of the SHINee boys are chilling in the living room. Key was looking up health and beauty stuff on his phone, Onew is dozing off to the relaxing vibration of the massage chair, and Minho was exercising with his dumbbells.

“Taemin got a tattoo.”

Whatever peace existed instantly shatters, the statement causes Onew startle awake and Key dropping his phone in shock.

Key glares. “Are you making up lies?”

“I'm serious,” Minho answers as he keeps lifting the dumbbells, unfazed by their reaction because he's the one who said it out of random. “Jonghyun says that Taemin showed his tattoo to him. In fact according to him, he showed it when all of us were in the same room.”

“I don't remember that,” Onew has a skeptical look, trying to recall. “I'm sure if Taemin had a tattoo we would have known. Did Jonghyun say when Taemin showed it to us?”

“He said Taemin showed it to us a month ago,” Minho puts away the dumbbells and sits on the sofa. “I don't recall either but Jonghyun swears by it.”

Key scoffs. “Please. If Taemin had a tattoo, he would have put it on SNS when he first got it,” he says, his eyes not moving away from his phone. “But I don't see anything on his page that he posts about his tattoo. No picture, no status, nothing.”

“That's because he's normal and he doesn't put everything of his life online,” Minho smirks at Key. “Unlike some people.”

Key sneers and has an insult at the tip of his tongue when Onew cuts in. “What do you think the tattoo is?”

“Maybe he has a tattoo of my name,” Minho waggles his eyebrows causing Key to make a disgusted face.

“Is your ego that big to think Taemin even has a tattoo of your name,” Key's eye twitches, his hands itching to wrap around Minho's neck.

“Better than yours -”

“Boys settle down,” Onew has his hands out making pacifying gesture. “There's only one way to find out. First one to see Taemin's tattoo and have photographic proof of the tattoo wins. The rules are we can't outright tell Taemin about the bet or ask him about the tattoo directly. Each person gets only one try.”

Key makes a disapproving noise that has Minho poke him with his toe. “Afraid you'll lose?”

Key makes a disgusted sound, swatting Minho's toe away. He gives Minho a nasty smile. “Nonsense. I'm afraid it might be a little bit too hard for you.”

This causes Minho to give a rivaling smile, his competitive spirit awakens. “Bet.”

Onew sighs and turns on the highest setting on the massage chair. He made that bet out of the blue to avoid one of Key and Minho's infamous spats. There is a foreboding feeling at the back of his mind that he's going to regret this later.

1.

Since he's the one to suggest the bet, he's going first. Onew moved the furniture away and laid two yoga mats at the center of the living room. He also lit some incense to give the room some calming vibes for this mission.

Yes, he's going all out.

“Hey hyung, I'm ready.”

Taemin walks in with a loose t-shirt and tights. Onew had invited Taemin to do yoga with him while also implying that he should wear some loose, relaxing clothes. Thankfully Taemin complied but unfortunately he still couldn't see the tattoo.

Taemin does some stretches on the mat. “I didn't know that you do yoga.”

“I don't but Key suggested that it would be good for me,” Onew replies as he sets up a yoga video to play. “I don't really know much but I want to give it a try.”

No, Key hadn't suggest it. Anything trendy that is out of character for Onew can be blamed on Key. Onew figured one of those yoga poses would let Taemin stretch and reveal the tattoo under his clothes. That's why he had Taemin wear loose clothing and he'll have a good chance of seeing it as they are close to each other.

Unfortunately Onew overestimated his capabilities and stretched a muscle without warming up. Luckily Taemin is there and brought Onew to get medical attention immediately. He's now currently on bed rest, gingerly trying to get in a comfortable position without too much pain.

Key hands Onew a heat pad. “How are you feeling?” he asks.

“Sore,” Onew replies with a wince. This had Minho immediately move to his side, adjusting the pillows to Onew's comfort. “I think I'm getting too old for this.”

“You should always stretch before doing an exercise,” Minho scolds. “Especially at your age who doesn't exercise too often. You can never be too careful.”

Key swats at Minho. “Onew doesn't need a lecture from you at this time,” his upper lip curls with disapproval. “Especially when you're going to be at his age someday and all that exercise and precautions isn't going to do you any favors.”

Onew sighs, waves him off. “Doctor says the feeling will pass if I don't strain myself. I know I'm not gonna win the bet. By the time I came back I realized I forgot to set up my camera to get photographic proof of Taemin's tattoo.”

“I think your idea was good,” Key gives a reassuring pat on Onew's blanket covered leg. “It's creative. Let me give it a try.”

2.

Key hadn't known too much about what Onew tried to do to see Taemin's tattoo (no camera, small mercies for Onew's sake). Hearing what Onew tried to do has him come up with his own plan to see Taemin's tattoo.

“Ugh... I hate shopping.”

After having brunch Key decides to drag Taemin to go shopping. They are going to buy and try on a bunch of new clothes so there are many opportunities to see the tattoo. Key inwardly pats himself on the back, it's easy and subtle. He's going to wave a picture of Taemin's tattoo in Minho's face.

“You complained about it so many times,” Key says in a bored manner. “I don't hear you suggesting what we should do after brunch.”

“That store is where middle aged women go shopping for clothes,” Taemin grumbles, pouting like a petulant child.

“I don't see you complaining about the clothes I bought for you,” Key retorts, he struts in like he owns the place. “Any more complaining and we're not going to get ice cream later.”

The key to succeed is to be subtle. Let Taemin get used to the situation that will have him lower his guard down. So Key makes a show of walking up and down the aisle, tossing a few clothes in the cart to avoid suspicions. Some of the clothes are short and revealing, so when Taemin wears it and stretches his arms up, his midriff will show the tattoo.

Unfortunately shopping is one of Key's vice and temptation. The discounted prices and a variety of selections has him distracted from his task. It was only when he went home with multiple shopping bags and a smoothie that he remembered what he was supposed to do.

Key drops his haul in Onew's room with a flop. “Not a word.”

Minho only shakes his head, a giddy smile on a somewhat pacifying face. “Wasn't going to. But did you buy anything for me?”

Key digs into his bag and chucks something at Minho's face, he doesn't want to see that smug grin anymore.

“You spent all day with Taemin,” Onew peeks in a bag from his position on the bed. “And not once did you try to see his tattoo.”

“I forgot,” Key pulls out a shirt from one of the multiple bags and measures it on his body. “How can I? They were having a sale on their discounted stuff so forgive me for not thinking seeing Taemin's tattoo is a priority.”

“Or your money for that matter,” Minho holds the shirt up Key tossed in his face. “Did Taemin buy anything when he was with you?”

“He bought a cardigan and some bath scrubs,” Key snatches the shirt from Minho. “That brat should be thanking me. If it weren't for me, he would be wearing clothes from the maternity section.”

“Or...,” Minho waggles his eyebrows.

Key didn't get what Minho was insinuating before horror grows on his face. He grabs a pillow from Onew's pile and starts hitting Minho with it. “How dare you!”

“He'd look good in a dress, you'd agree with me!”

“Behave, boys,” Onew sighs, his arms stretches out to stop Key from hitting Minho any further. “Minho, stop baiting Key.”

“I can't help it, he's fun to mess with,” Minho chuckles as he re-righted himself. “It's my turn to win this bet and unlike someone, I'm not gonna get distracted.”

“I want to go again,” Key pouts, clutching the big pillow to his chest. “I didn't even get to try and see the tattoo.”

“Too bad,” Minho has a smug grin. “One attempt per customer.”

Key turns to Onew with a look of disbelief. Onew just shakes his head, not going to get into this mess. “Good luck, you're gonna need it.”

3.

Mistakes will not be repeated. Avoid overestimating his capabilities and distractions. His plan is simple and straight forward. Candles have been lit, lights have been dimmed, oil and lotion at the ready by the bedside.

He has never felt so much anticipation in his life.

“Minho, I'm here.”

Minho keeps his face as neutral as possible as Taemin walks in with a bathrobe, with nothing underneath. Taemin casts a dubious look over the setup, fidgeting in his place. “Are you sure about this?”

Minho gives a gentle smile as he takes the oil and lathers his hands. “Trust me I got this. Now take off the bathrobe and lie down.”

This is the most smartest, foolproof plan he could have ever think of.

He's going to give Taemin a massage.

The ruse was he's taking some courses to be a licensed masseur. He convinced Taemin to be his practice buddy to be prepared for the real thing. Taemin had been skeptical but who wouldn't say no to a free massage. So Taemin didn't fight too hard on the entire thing or ask too many questions, just go with the flow.

And it makes Minho's plans easier. But he still has to be professional lest breaking Taemin's trust in him; turning away to give him some privacy when he's undressing and putting a towel on for modesty.

He still has to give Taemin a massage but he should be able to have an opportunity to see the tattoo. There were wisps of ink on Taemin's body but the way he is positioned he couldn't see the entire picture. If he could just have Taemin lift himself or turnover a little, he should be able to see and take a photo.

Suddenly a phone rang, startling Minho out of his musing. Taemin answers the phone and abruptly gets up and dresses up. Minho tries to get Taemin to stay longer but no dice as whatever was on the phone sounded urgent. Taemin blabbered a hurried excuse but Minho isn't paying attention, trying to get to his own phone before Taemin can get completely dressed. Unfortunately his hands still has oil on them causing the phone to slip and Taemin was out the door.

“It's not funny,” Minho glares at Key who has been laughing at his expense.

“You have to admit, it was a bit much,” Onew says from his position on his bed. “You even printed a fake masseur diploma and hanged it on the wall, framed.”

“It's called being thorough,” Minho pouts.

“It's called being extreme,” Key wipes a tear from the corner of his eye, laughing finally tapered off. “And what's with the bottle of wine in the cooler bucket.”

“To celebrate I won the bet,” Minho answers honestly. “Which I would have if that phone call didn't come.”

“I'm glad you didn't win,” Key says, shaking his head. “That's arrogant, even by my standards.”

“Did you know who it was on the other line?” Onew asks.

“No but the voice on the other line sounds familiar. I forgot what Taemin said but....”

Minho catches a smug smile, fleeting across Key's face. But Minho knows what he saw and that instinct kicks in when he puts two and two together. “It was you....”

Caught, Key's facade drops and that sneaky smile appears like a Cheshire cat.

Minho's eyes widened in shock. “You called Taemin to sabotage me?!”

“Key, that wasn't very nice,” Onew scolds.

“Oh come on,” Key whines. “It's for his own good. What's going to happen with the both of them once Minho gets a picture of Taemin's tattoo after that... ?”

“Well we wouldn't know now, would we?” Minho retorts back, abruptly standing up. “Because you sabotage me!”

“Boys calm down,” Onew sighs. “Yes Key, I know what Minho did is... over the top but you shouldn't have done that.”

But both Key and Minho aren't repentant, stuck in their stubborn ways. And with that, Onew throws his hands in the air. “The bet is off since none of us could get Taemin to take of his shirt and show his tattoo,” Onew shakes his head. “Honestly this bet is much troubling than I thought.”

Minho raises his hand, stopping whatever comes next, a look of epiphany sparks in his eyes. “We're not done just yet,” he says. “I have one more idea but it's going to need all three of us to pull this off.”

“But no one is going to win the bet that way,” Onew points out. “I'm not even sure what the winner will get.”

“At this point who cares,” Minho replies. “I just want to see it, even if I have to pin him down and take his shirt off.”

Onew and Key trade some glances, their mouth set firm with an unspoken agreement shared between them. “What do you got?”

4.

“I feel like I'm committing a crime.”

“I feel Minho has gone mad.”

“Quit being a pansy, you two. Taemin is coming.”

Let the record state that this is a last resort plan that Minho comes up with alone. Key and Onew have nothing to do with it, only acting as unwilling accessories to the crime.

Minho had taken Taemin to a semi-private gym in their building. The plan was to get Taemin to work out on the machines, hopefully some of them will force Taemin's shirt to ride up so that the tattoo would be visible. Key and Onew will be in the shadows, hiding in different places with their phones ready to take a picture.

Unfortunately Taemin's shirt is long that even with the stretches and movements of the machines, it will not show off. Even when Taemin wipes the sweat from his brows with the hem of his shirt, the tattoo is still not visible.

“What's the point,” Key mutters under his breath. “We won't be able to see it.”

“Do not forget there is a plan B,” Minho whispers into his earpiece, communicating to both Key and Onew. “You have a duty to stick it through.”

After a workout Taemin grabs his water bottle and heads to the locker room. Minho gives a signal to Key and Onew, to follow and keep distance from the target to avoid suspicions.

“Taemin should be in the shower,” Onew says, his ears perked at the door.

“I'll hold him down,” Minho says, “Key needs to take the photo quickly and cleanly.”

“I can't believe we resorted to this,” Key mutters. “Only a like you would think of a plan like this.”

Minho rolls his eyes. “I am not. If it makes you feel better, I'm literally going in blind to hold him down.”

“No it doesn't feel any better.”

“I can hear the water running,” Onew interrupts. “It's now or never.”

With three grim expression and a nod, Onew opens the door allowing Minho and Key to charge in. The minute they step into the locker room, chaos ensures. By the time the mists and fog from the hot temperature clears up, they would deem their mission to be a success.

But with the wrong target.

“What,” Jonghyun hiss. “are you doing?!”

The fog and mists clears to reveal Minho had Jonghyun in a hold and Key had been taking pictures of the wrong person. Onew had rushed in after, his tracks screeching to a halt, wonders if its too late to go back.

Whoops too late, Jonghyun had locked eyes on him as well.

“It's not what it looks like,” Onew has his hands up in a placating manner. “We thought you were someone else.”

“Someone else...” Jonghyun repeats, a menacing tone laced in his voice. He tilts his head back. “Are you not going to let go?”

Minho let's go of Jonghyun like he's been burned, quickly moving away to Key's side. Key clutches his phone to his chest like a terrified woman clutching her pearls. All three of them shivers as Jonghyun stalks to them with a terrifying gaze.

“Jonghyun,” Minho starts, pause. “Hyung,... we were trying to – what we're really doing was – you weren't supposed to -”

“We're sorry!” Onew interrupts. “It's all a misunderstanding. We'll just be on our way -”

Jonghyun gives a cursory glance. “You know that it's not nice to jump people while they were showering.”

All three vigorously nods their heads.

“And yet all three of you, even though you're smart, did it anyway,” Jonghyun assess them with a curious gaze. “I think a punishment is in order, wouldn't you agree?”

When Jonghyun raises a black marker to their eye level, all three of them knew they messed up.

But Key raises his hand up hesitatingly, pausing the moment for a second.

“Jonghyun,” Key begins, eyes not meeting his gaze. “Before you do what you got to do, can you put some clothes on first?”

5+1

“Why can't this wash off?!” Minho scrubs his face with a makeup wipe. “What kind of marker did he use?!”

“I'm more concern of where did he pull that marker from,” Onew says, lying in an awkward position on the massage chair, contemplating his life choices. His face still has marks from earlier, emoticon faces drawn on his cheeks and forehead. “I'm not crazy, right? He wasn't wearing any clothes so where did that marker came from?”

“How did Taemin even disappear from there?” Minho sighs, his hand drops with the umpteenth makeup wipe, revealing big bolded words 'Goober' written on top of his forehead along with a big mustache under his nose. His head tilts back on the sofa. “Why are you even thinking about that? We should be thinking on how to get Taemin to voluntarily take off his shirt long enough for us to get a picture.”

“You're still thinking about that?”

Key walks in with a clean face free of marker, plops himself on the sofa. Onew and Minho has twin shock looks on their face.

“Did you really think I would let my face look like that?” Key raises an eyebrow. “What do you take me for?”

“Why didn't you tell us earlier?” Minho slaps the armrest of the sofa in frustration. “Did you know how many makeup wipes I used?! They're not working!”

“It's because of your plan that we suffered,” Key gives a pointed look at Onew. “And your fault for making a bet in the first place.”

“I'm innocent!” Onew wails.

“And now I have some very mixed emotions from the ordeal I have suffered,” Key has his hand up to his forehead like a fallen maiden. “How will I ever recover?”

“You had pictures of Jonghyun, didn't you,” Minho says with a deadpanned look on his face.

Key gives Minho a glance behind his hand covering his eyes. “I'm not gonna answer that.”

The sound of the door unlocking has all three of them tensed. The door opens to reveal it was Taemin had them all release a sigh of relief they weren't aware of holding.

Taemin walks into the living room, halts to a stop when he sees Minho's and Onew's face. “What's with the....”

“Justice,” Key answers for them. “You went to the gym?”

“Yeah but I got to wash up,” Taemin rolls his neck in a stretch. “I forgot to bring my stuff to shower at the gym so I just pack up and left.”

Onew makes a sound of epiphany but it has Taemin look at him weirdly. “What?”

Onew bites the bottom of his lip and shakes his head, but pauses and looks up at Taemin with an intrigue expression. “Taemin, did you have a tattoo?”

Minho and Key gives Onew a silent look of shock. Taemin didn't pay attention and answers. “I did. Didn't I show it to you guys last month? It was that outing we had.”

There were simultaneous answers of yes and no's along with weird excuses that weren't going to fly.

Minho waves his hand to shut everyone up. “Taemin, I don't think any of us remember or paid attention at the time. Do you mind if you can show it to us?”

Key, Minho, and Onew held their breath for Taemin's answer. To show or not to show, screw this bet.

Taemin shrugs. “Sure. If you want to see the tattoo, all you have to do this ask.”

A small part of them died a little after how much they went through that all they have to do is ask and it shall be revealed.

Taemin clutches the bottom hem of his shirt. “It might be a bit shocking to see so don't freak out.”

All three of them have their head turn and eyes focus on the hem to Taemin's shirt. Taemin slowly lifts his shirt up, wisps of ink reveals more and more, a stark contrast on his skin. And all three of them had their eyes widen at the ink on Taemin's body revealing-


 

The End.


 

Yeah... an abrupt ending because I don't even know what Taemin's tattoo is. One moment is a blotted big flower and recently its some stencil design flower thing. And everytime I see an inkling of Taemin's midriff, I would go :

squat-and-squint-meme-woman.jpg