II: Great Friends, Good Company

If I Could Tell You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A week has passed, and it is safe to say that college is going smoothly for Taemin and Naeun. They are taking another big step today, as the moment when they will move out of their homes is coming.

Naeun was folding the last of her clothes that she would bring into her dorm when she noticed her mother, who was sitting beside her and helping her out with her things while quietly sniffing.

She laughed and peeked at her mother, asking, "Eomma, are you crying?"

Immediately wiping her tears, she cleared and lied, "N-no, I'm not!"

"You are! Oh my..." Naeun's laugh turned into a giggle, and she couldn't help but envelop her mother in a warm embrace. "Eomma, I'll visit home when I can."

"Are you sure you'll be fine? What if you starve yourself? Who will cook your food? What if you don't wake up to your alarm? What if—"

"I'll be fine, Eomma," Naeun softly said. "You worry too much about me. I can handle myself! I can cook my own food, and don't you worry about me not waking up to my alarm because Taemin's nagging is my daily alarm clock. He'll be calling me even before the sun is up," she added, which made her mom laugh, but seconds later she pinched her daughter's arm.

"That hurts! What was that for?" Naeun distanced herself and glared at her mom.

"You rely on Taemin too much. That boy's too good for you! Really, how will you survive without him?" Her mother shook her head and took away the shirt Naeun was folding from her hands.

"That's the price for being my best friend, Eomma. He doesn't mind anyways." Naeun joked and tried to pry away her shirt from her mother's grip. "Give me that, eomma. I can fold my own clothes."

"Just let me do this for you, Naeun-ah. I'll not be able to take care of you for too long, so let me be a mother to you while I still can."

"You talk as if you're going to stop being my mother. Aigoo, my eomma is too precious!" She hugged her for the second time. Naeun watched her mother for a while, and she was suddenly getting emotional. She was surely going to miss her mother a lot.

"Eomma..." Naeun mumbled with her chin resting on her mom's shoulder and softly called her attention. "If things get too hard for me there, I can come home anytime, right?"

Tears were once building up in her mother's eyes, and soon enough they were already falling. "Of course, Naeun-ah. You can come home to us anytime you want to, and your appa and I will always welcome you again and again."

With her words, she tightened her hug and felt her mother place a kiss at the top of her head.

"Promise me, you'll take good care of yourself and will not get sick, huh?" She caressed her daughter's face just like she always did, ever since Naeun was little.

"Yes, eomma. I promise." Naeun nodded and assured her mother.

"And when you already have a boyfriend, make sure to not hide it from us and introduce him."

"Eomma!" Naeun looked at her mother incredulously and frowned. "I'm not going to have a boyfriend. I'm there to study."

Her mother looked her in the eye and smirked. "Are you sure you're not going to eat your own words?"

Naeun went silent as she pouted and continued to defend her point. "Well, no one's got my interest yet, and I'll try to focus on my studies first before I fall in love."

"You're a good girl, then." Her mom laughed and zipped her last suitcase. "Are these all of your things?"

"Yes. Thank you for helping me pack, eomma." She smiled at her mother gratefully and helped place her suitcases properly beside her bed.

"Are you sure you don't need us tomorrow to help place your things at the dorm? Will you and Taemin be alright?"

"We're going to be fine, eomma. And it'll be better if I only have one guest with me. The place might get too crowded and my roommate might get uncomfortable. Besides, Taemin won't be there for too long since the dorm has strict rules that visitors are only allowed from 10 AM until 2 PM."

Her mother nodded in understanding. Her parents didn't have to worry too much since they already trusted Taemin with her.

"Give us a call when you're done settling down. Your father and I would like to see how your space is."

"I will, eomma. I think I'm done here. You should rest now since it's also getting late." She told her mother and went to give her a kiss on the cheek to say goodnight. Once she was alone in her room, she reached for her phone, which was on her bedside table, and texted Taemin to inform him that she was done packing.

She received a reply that he was also ready for their big move and that she should sleep so she'd have enough energy for tomorrow.

After turning off her phone and her lamp, her eyes immediately fluttered to a close as somnolence slowly engulfed her.

 


She helped Taemin carry her things until they both got to her room. Silence welcomed her the moment she opened the door, and she looked around the place and noticed that there were already things in the space adjacent to her, but the owner, who will be her roommate, seemed to be outside as she was not there.

"Do you already know who your roommate is?" She heard Taemin ask as he dropped her last suitcase gently on the floor.

She shook her head and simply answered, "No, they didn't give me her name, but it seems like she got here first since she already fixed her things."

"Thank you for your help, Taeminnie. You can go to the other building and check your own room."

"Are you sure you don't need my help anymore?" Taemin asked with a smirk on his face. "Look at you, trying to be independent."

Naeun rolled her eyes at him and snapped, "Leave."

Taemin chuckled and decided to be the one to stop the teasing, just like he always did whenever they bicker. "Alright. Let me know if you're done. After we settle down, let's go out for lunch." It was his last word before leaving her alone.

Naeun first put her clothes in her closet and then organized her things on her study table. While she was in the middle of putting her things into place, the door suddenly opened, revealing a lady who's slightly smaller than her; she has black hair styled in a braid and is wearing a simple oversized orange shirt and denim skirt. The girl didn't fail to notice her presence either; even her eyes lit up when they met hers.

Waving her hands at Naeun, she greeted her with her lollipop still in : "Oh, hello! You must be my roomie, right?"

Naeun shyly smiled and nodded, "Yes, I am. I'm sorry, I only got here a few moments ago and I'm still not finished with my things yet."

"Oh, please don't worry! It's fine. Do you need some help?" the girl kindly said and approached her. "What's your name?"

"Oh, I can manage; I'm almost done anyway. My name is Son Naeun. You?" Naeun studied more of the girl's features as she waited for her answer.

"I'm Jung Eunji, from the College of Engineering. How about you?"

"I'm from the College of Fine Arts and Design. I major in Painting." Naeun smiled at Eunji, and she was finally done with settling down all of her belongings. Eunji nodded as she said, "Judging from the things on your table, it's really obvious that you're an art student."

Naeun softly laughed at that. Suddenly, her stomach growled, and she went to look at the wall clock hanging in their room. She learned that it was already quarter past twelve and she hadn't had lunch yet.

As if on cue, she felt her phone vibrate, and it was Taemin who sent her a message that he's also hungry and is already waiting for her at the main gate of her dormitory building. She turned to face Eunji and asked her, "Have you had lunch yet?"

"Yes, I just did. My blockmates and I went to the coffee shop near the university, and the food's good! Have you already tried them out? Are you now about to go get lunch?"

"Really? Well then, I guess my best friend and I should try it. Would it be fine with you if I leave for a while?" Naeun carefully asked her since she was afraid that Eunji might not want to be left alone. 

However, her roommate told her that she was going to be okay and that she should already leave to keep Taemin from waiting. Bidding her a goodbye, she went out, and when she got outside, she saw Taemin standing under the sun's scorching heat and holding an umbrella. He used his other hand to wave at her to try to get her attention.

Naeun walked towards him and also got under the umbrella, and Taemin instantly asked her, "Where do you want to eat?"

Remembering Eunji's suggestion, she told him that they should try the food from the coffee shop that was only a few blocks away from their university. Taemin agreed, as he didn't mind where or what to eat as long as he got to feed himself.

 


Entering the coffee shop, they were both greeted with the stron

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter