It's Pouring Rain

It's Pouring Rain

1741 words

The rain poured on and on, the never-ending pattering of raindrops on the window. Zhou Mi's long, skinny legs were crossed, left leg over right. He sighed as he put his book down and looked over at Kyuhyun, fast asleep. A blinding flash of light and a loud crash of thunder. Kyuhyun's face scrunched up into a frown, eyebrows furrowed and eyes squeezed shut in his sleep. Zhou Mi knew it wouldn't be long before -

"ZHOU MI!" Kyuhyun bolted upright and his eyes shot open as he glanced around frantically for said person. Zhou Mi's quickly got up and his arms wrapped around Kyuhyun's body shoulders who rested his head in the crook of Zhou Mi's neck.

Zhou Mi turned his head slightly and kissed Kyuhyun's left temple, "It's okay now." He shifted himself again, now joining their foreheads. Lifting his right hand, Zhou Mi swiped of Kyuhyun's tears with his thumb, so softly, so gently. "I'm sorry, Mi." Kyuhyun's watery eyes met his partner's, whose lips were upturned in a small smile. He gently ruffled Kyuhyun's hair, "I told you I'd always be here."

Cheeks slightly flamed, and cheeks still quivering ever so slightly, Kyuhyun shifted over on the bed so that Zhou Mi could fit. The older man wrapped his hands around the thinner, younger one tightly, fiercely, protectively, one arm wrapping his neck and the other his torso. Tilting his head downwards, his lips met Kyuhyun's in a passionate kiss. He ran his tongue over Kyuhyun's bottom lip, and smirked when he felt the younger man part his lips in surprise. Kyuhyun tasted sweet, a little like vanilla.

Before they got too far, Zhou Mi pulled away and let Kyuhyun's head rest on his shoulder, against his neck. They remained silent, until Zhou Mi could finally hear Kyuhyun's soft breathing.

If Zhou Mi was to he completely honest, he was very curious. Very. But he didn't want to push Kyuhyun, and also, he wanted to hear the explanation from Kyuhyun himself. He was also getting extremely worried. It seemed like whatever was bothering Kyuhyun was getting worse and worse, but he couldn't do anything if Kyuhyun was unwilling to tell. Since the first time the incident had taken place, the nightmare had come more and more frequently.

Sighing, Zhou Mi pushed back his floppy fringe in frustration before succumbing to his fatigue.

•••

The next day

Kyuhyun was sitting on his bed rubbing his eyes. The left side of his bed was cold and empty, although he was very sure Zhou Mi had been here last night. He looked around but he was alone, and then the softest of murmurs coming from the sitting area downstairs reached his ears. His curiosity piqued, he got up, washed his face, briefly attempted to smooth his ruffled hair and quietly stole out of the room.

And he travelled down the corridors, the voice got louder and clearer, and also a little familiar. However, Kyuhyun couldn't put faces to the voices, apart from Zhou Mi's. He reached the top of the stairs and he paused in his steps. Squatting down, he peeked out from behind the barrister and on the sofa sat Zhou Mi. Two other people, one male and one female, sat opposite Zhou Mi, the backs facing Kyuhyun. He slowly stood up to try to get a better view of things, but it was just his luck that Zhou Mi spotted him.

"Ah, Kyuhyun, you're awake." Zhou Mi's smile was weird, not reaching his eyes like they always did. His smile was slightly questioning, curiosity almost breaking through.

As the couple turned around to face Kyuhyun, his eyes widened as the memories flashed through his mind. Kyuhyun took three steps back and then bolted down the corridors, to the safety of his own room.

What are they doing here?

Kyuhyun splashed the tap water onto his face, as if he could wash off all the horrible memories his parents had given him.

Footsteps echoed down the corridors behind his door. Kyuhyun dashed to lock it but he was too late. Zhou Mi barged into the room of a crying Kyuhyun. He slammed and locked the door behind him as he took Kyuhyun into his arms.

"Why are they here?" His voice quivered.

"I'm sorry, my butler let them in. They're looking for you. They asked me to let them have you back." One, two, three heartbeats. "Why do you dislike them so much, Kyu?"

A long moment of silence filled the air as Kyuhyun hesitated to reply.

"Tell me."

"They were the ones who left the scars on me."

•••

2 months later

"Kyu, they're here again."

"Chase them away."

•••

5 months after parents first arrival

"Kyu... They're here. They absolutely refuse to leave unless they get to talk to you this time. I know I could get security to chase them, but I-"

"Mi, are you on their side now?"

"No, Kyu. Listen. They've been coming over everyday of the past five months. Doesn't this show how much they want you back? Maybe I don't exactly what they did in the past but it is obvious that they are trying to change for the better, why won't you give them a chance?"

"It doesn't make up for what they did last time-"

"But they're trying to change-"

"You have no idea how they treated me! DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!"

The slam of the bedroom door resonated in the room as Kyuhyun's tears slowly made their way down his pale cheeks.

•••

That night

The storm was raging on and on and on. The clap on thunder echoed on in the room, and the never-ending flashes of lightning seemed to raise the panic within Kyuhyun as more and more of his childhood memories piled in his mind. He wanted to scream his lungs out. This time he didn't have Zhou Mi to turn to, he was all alone. He was afraid. As the feelings grew worse and worse, Kyuhyun dashed for his bathtub and hid there.

The loud clap of thunder shot Zhou Mi out his reverie. His first thought: Kyuhyun. How could he be so stupid? All other thoughts became irrelevant as he hopped of his bed, threw open the door and burst into Kyuhyun's bedroom. "KYU!" His voice, however, was blocked out by the deafening clap of thunder.

Zhou Mi threw open the doors of Kyuhyun's wardrobe, but apart from Kyuhyun's clothes, there was nobody there. Panic grew inside him - What if Kyuhyun had left the house?

Then a sudden thought struck him. The bathroom. There Kyuhyun was, squatting in the bathtub, shivering from the cold and shaking with fear. Zhou Mi clambered into what little space there was left in the bathtub, and tried as best as he could to hug Kyuhyun. He was mumbling something that Zhou Mi couldn't hear as he squeezed his torso against Zhou Mi's. Zhou Mi let his fingers run soothing circles on Kyuhyun's neck as they waited for the storm to die down.

When the storm finally stopped brewing and the sun peeked out behind the clouds, Zhou Mi's body was aching. The two of them had been cramped into that tiny spot for hours. Now Kyuhyun was fast asleep on his right shoulder and he couldn't bear to wake him up.

He thought back to yesterday's incident. He knew he wasn't in any position to tell Kyuhyun what was right or wrong. He just couldn't understand why Kyuhyun didn't want to give his parents a chance. At least he had parents, why didn't he cherish that fact? Zhou Mi's parents had left him alone in this huge house when he was just a few months old. He longed for parents, for someone to dote on him.

Kyuhyun stirred next to him. "Mi..." He sat upright and rubbed the sleepiness out of hid eyes. Then his eyes travelled to the base of the bathtub, "I'm sorry about yesterday, Mi. I didn't mean to shout at you. I thought about it, and I know my parents are changing for the better, but I can't bring myself to forgive them just yet."

"Kyu, I lost my parents when I was five. I miss them so terribly it hurts, yet I know I will ever see them again, because they are... Well, gone. I don't even know where on earth they are. You still have an opportunity to get back with your parents, Kyu. Why won't you give them a chance?"

Half a year later

Zhou Mi had never seen Kyuhyun smile this radiantly before. It only made him smile more, only boosted his spirit. He knew Kyuhyun had always wanted to reconcile with his parents. He was just afraid, too scared that they would hurt him like they once did. They had really changed for the better, and seeing Kyuhyun having his family back, it was undeniable that he too, felt wonderful.

However, seeing Kyuhyun laughing happily with his parents, seeing Kyuhyun sitting at the dinner table with his family, although Kyuhyun's parents treat Zhou Mi as part of the family, Zhou Mi couldn't help but feel jealous; jealous that Kyuhyun could have his family back and he himself couldn't even remember the faces of his parents. But he would push these feelings away, afraid that they would come between Kyuhyun and himself.

Kyuhyun was overjoyed that he had reconciled with his parents. He had missed them terribly, just that he refused to believe it, to admit it. Now that they were back, Kyuhyun was elated, but was hesitant to be with them in front of Zhou Mi. He knew Zhou Mi was feeling horrible inside, and he wanted to do something to ease the discomfort, so he was trying his best to allow Zhou Mi as part of the family.

Kyuhyun's parents didn't seem to mind that their son was dating another guy, or maybe they thought they were just friends. Kyuhyun would break the news to them someday. But as of now, they would keep their relationship their own little secret.