chapter 7

was this all worth it?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

irene believes she is strong–fearless even. the sudden death of her sister pushed her to her limits and despite going through the storm alone, she grew up with her feelings withdrawn and void of any attachments to anything, especially a person. but why is she hesitant? why does her fingers hover over the send button nervously when the content of the message was just a ‘hey. how are your classes going?’. 

 

irene has no reason to be this nervous. it’s just a friendly text to wendy. they’ve texted before so sending this one shouldn’t be a problem…. right? except that this is the very first text she’s going to send after the night of her drunk episode. or the morning after when she kissed wendy on the cheek unexpectedly. irene blushes at the memory.

 

“irene? don’t you have class after this?” 

 

irene looks up and takes in her surroundings. she forgets that she’s in class, well was since the class just ended and she has another in the building across campus. she turns to her classmate who raises an eyebrow at her. she gratefully smiles at her. “yeah. thanks for the reminder. see you later!”

 

she quickly rushes out of class with her things in tow. her classmate finds the situation amusing but her curiosity surpasses her amusement. just who on earth got irene all giddy and nervous over a text? and irene blushing? her classmate shakes her head with a ghost of a smile on her lips. 

 

whoever the person behind this that causes such reaction to evoke out of irene sure is special.

 


internally cursing herself for diddling around, thoughts head full of wendy, irene rushes across campus to her next class. she’s not the best student but she tries to keep her name out of the professor’s bad side by coming on time and getting the work done before due. as she fast walks with her eyes on her phone, she fails to steer clear off the path of another student who seems to be late to her class. they knock into each other. 

 

irene quickly mutters an apology while picking up the books of the person she bumped into. she turns the book so the front cover faces upwards and her eyes widen at the name scribbled on top.

 

son wendy.

 

if lightning was fast, her head snapping to see the said name was even faster. “wendy? what are you doing here?” she asks breathlessly–not from the rush but due to the fact that it’s been a while since they met one another.

 

and it seems like their unexpected collision surprises wendy too because irene swears she’s never seen anything cuter than a confused wendy in her nerdy round glasses. “oh hey– hi irene! i’m off to my class there–” she juts her lips in the direction of the building, “and i’m actually running late so if you don’t mind, i’ll be on my way.”

 

wendy throws irene her dimple smile as she walks away. but before she could go far, she loudly says, “you better keep your eyes up from the phone. wouldn’t want you to bump into someone else and fall for them instead.” 

 

irene scoffs playfully, knowing that the statement is anything but teasing. her body moves faster than her mind thinks and somehow she catches up to wendy and gently grabs her by her elbow. “i know you’re late to class but–” she gulps as she squeaks out her next words, “do you wanna catch up over dinner? if you want to– or when you’re free– i don’t want to be pushy or anything–”

 

“irene.” wendy firmly calls out her name, just to reply softly, “i’d love to.”

 

her head tilt while agreeing to grab dinner together almost caused irene to buckle to the ground. wendy mirroring the actions of a golden retriever is too adorable albeit her apprehension towards furry friends–or animals in general. but she’d take in wendy anytime, no second thoughts or doubt about it.

 

“tha–that’s great! i’ll text you the uh–time and place later then. i–you’re gonna be late for class and me too so i’ll see you tonight?”

 

“sure. enjoy your remaining classes!” wendy winks. she slowly jogs her way into the building of irene’s previous class as the latter stands watching, until she feels her phone vibrate in her pocket.

 

kang seulgi:
where are you??
class started like 10 minutes ago
you better get your here before professor lee notices
1:41 pm

 

professor lee indeed catches her late to his class and she receives a verbal warning since it’s her first time doing so. irene makes her way next to seulgi, who curiously waits for her to settle down before bombarding her with questions.

 

“you’re never been late for your classes before. did something happen?” seulgi whispers under her breath. the last thing she wanted to happen is to be kicked out of class for interrupting or getting on professor lee’s nerves.

 

irene shakes her head dismissively, hands getting busy with taking notes as professor lee explains the lecture in front. unsatisfied with her answer, seulgi nudges her side, face morphing into what irene would interpret as ‘what the hell?’.

 

irene shushes her, to focus on the class and also escape seulgi’s questioning glare. she knows seulgi is adamant so she expects to be cornered after class but that’s something she will worry about later. her unexpected encounter with wendy and the subtle flirt shown by the nerd warms her from head to toe. she definitely can’t wait for their dinner so she finally shoots wendy a text.

 

irene:
i’ll pick you up at 7
just wear casually ;)
2:01 pm

 

wenwen:
is this a way of you saying i look good in anything
i’m flattered :p 
focus on your class bae
wouldn’t want your professor to be more mad now would we?
2:02 pm

 

damn wendy and her wits. irene cracks a smile at reading her texts. she swiftly types her replies before focusing back on the class at hand. irene misses the way seulgi observes her from the corner of her eyes, head shaking at irene’s poor attempt at being subtle. at least she’s happier and giving herself more freedom.

 

irene:
you and your words son
i’ll see you tonight
2:02 pm

 

 

instead of a chauffeur-driven car, irene greets wendy with a car of her own. she hops out to meet wendy by the passenger door.

 

“i didn’t know you drive.”

 

“well let’s just say, you still have a lot to learn about me.” irene opens up the door for wendy. “after you m’lady.”

 

wendy laughs at her antics as she steps into the vehicle. “that’s supposed to be my line! you’re awfully bad to steal my words bae. should i have you arrested for that?”

 

irene backs the car out of the driveway swiftly, her hands going behind the passenger seat as she looks behind for ongoing traffic. her perfume invades wendy’s space as she drinks in the scent she’s been missing ever since the semester has started. they spent less time together due to the different schedules in classes; it’s a given since both of them are in different majors so this dinner is something she’s looking forward to.

 

her eyes wander over irene’s overalls; dark blue knitted sweater with a v-neckline and white skinny jeans. casual just like irene asked of her as well but with a pretty face like hers, casual is a nice way to put it. she looks stunning, almost like a model in a way that is straight out of a magazine. 

 

damn it, did i just say that out loud?

 

“i could have you arrested for gawking at me instead but i’ll let it slide since you complimented me,” irene chuckles. the interior of the car is dark–save for the streetlights–but wendy is glad that the growing blush on her cheeks stays hidden. 

 

at the red light, irene turns and gives her a quick up-down scan. her dark brown eyes land on hers, boring into her soul. she smiles appreciatively as she comments, “you don’t look bad yourself son. the skin you’re showing off is doing wonders. i hope you’re not trying to flirt with other people but if it’s for me, i suppose you’re getting good at it.” irene refocuses back on the road just in time for the green light.

 

wendy groans as she slides down the passenger seat in embarrassment. she wills her body to shrink as small as she can. 

 

“today was laundry day okay?” wendy defends herself. “it was either this shirt or some other clothes that i wouldn’t necessarily consider casual.”

 

irene hums. “it’s a different style than i’m used to seeing but it’s a good difference. and i’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter