of stupid plans and unpredictable storylines

of stupid plans and unpredictable storylines

Contrary to what is being portrayed, Lee Hyukjae and Kim Jongwoon are actually close, affectionate friends behind the camera. 

 

 

Jongwoon has lost count of the number of times he would find Hyukjae staring at him in concern from across the room whenever he was unusually recluse and in one of his moods, or the little ‘hyung, i thought of you when i saw this’ text messages from Hyukjae every now and then. 

 

 

Vice versa, Jongwoon would go out of the way to drop by the dorms to bring Hyukjae’s his favourite takeaways whenever he knew that Hyukjae was in one of those homebody moods, or shower the younger with praises whenever they were recording a song for a new album. 

 

 

Most members and fans knew that what they depicted on camera was simply just for show, all in good laugh and bantering. 

 

 

So, why the has Hyukjae been acting like an absolute pain in the to Jongwoon for the past few weeks? Jongwoon has no ing idea. 

 

 

It was as if a switch has been triggered in the younger, because his teasing just seemed so much more biting and frequent, even when they were off-camera. At the start, Jongwoon thought that, maybe Hyukjae was just feeling playful, so like a good hyung he was, he indulged in the younger’s jests and banters, pinching Hyukjae back whenever the other poked his sides out of nowhere. 

 

 

But when Hyukjae started talking about his mood swings, his single status, his diets, almost on a daily basis, Jongwoon honestly felt more confused than offended and pissed off. He also realised that Hyukjae was still throwing him furtive glances every time they were in the same room, but his heart ached at the loss of Hyukjae’s cute text messages to him nowadays. It had gotten to the extent that Jongwoon dreaded group activities because he didn’t want to be confronted with the jeering smiles and snarky words from Hyukjae. 

 

 

And for the love of god, Jongwoon just couldn’t seem to figure out what he did wrong to bring about this change. He missed the small smiles and warm hugs from Hyukjae. 

 

 

Fortunately, the group managed to get through album promotions peacefully with Hyukjae unscathed — Jongwoon swore that he almost wanted to strangle the younger at many points in time throughout the two months of group activities. Jongwoon was so relieved that he could finally take a break from Hyukjae that he happily agreed to the celebratory drinks at an elite high-end bar with everyone despite his weariness and aversion to alcohol. 

 

 

For the most part, Jongwoon stuck close to Ryeowook and Donghae, pampering them with his usual hyung-esque tendencies. The two accepted and returned his affections so readily, that Jongwoon almost forgot about his ongoing debacle with another dongsaeng, until said dongsaeng decided to slide into the space between him and Ryeowook, while shooing the other two away with a mischievous smile, citing some bull reason that Siwon was looking for them, that Jongwoon just knew Hyukjae had made it up. 

 

 

And of course, Jongwoon being Jongwoon, who always had too much pride in his lean body, started to leave his spot the moment Hyukjae made his appearance. No, he was not trying to run away from his problems, neither was he emotionally stunted, thank you very much. 

 

 

But then, Hyukjae's warm palm shot out and held on to Jongwoon’s hand, and Jongwoon could not believe how much of a big loser he was at that juncture, because he actually faltered at the touch that he missed so much. 

 

 

“Hyung.” 

 

 

“What?” 

 

 

Jongwoon just could not bring himself to turn around to face the other. How could this bastard just pretend everything was fine?!?! 

 

 

“Hyung, why are you not looking at me?” 

 

 

Hyukjae started tugging at Jongwoon’s hand repeatedly, trying to get the older to turn around. Jongwoon resisted, but it was futile. The whole situation and his pent-up frustration was starting to get on his nerves. 

 

 

At a particular hard pull from Hyukjae, Jongwoon whirled around — was that tears of anger in his eyes? He didn’t even know anymore. 

 

 

“Just— what the , do you want from me, Hyukjae?” 

 

 

Hyukjae stared, wide-eyed and unmoving. 

 

 

“You don’t just go around being mean to someone for weeks and ignoring them whenever you feel like it, then show up all happy and asking for their attention! Do you do that to everyone? Or is it just a ‘me’ thing?”

 

 

Hyukjae continued to stand frozen like a statue, though his grip on Jongwoon never faltered. Jongwoon swore he could actually see sadness in Hyukjae’s eyes. How dare he?!? All the hurt that Jongwoon had been suppressing resurfaced and all of a sudden, he felt so tired. 

 

 

Jongwoon sighed, resigned. “You know what? I don’t need an answer. Do whatever you want. Just remember to be professional still.”

 

 

He turned to leave while trying to shake off Hyukjae’s hand. But Hyukjae just… wouldn’t… let go…... 

 

 

“Lee Hyukjae—”

 

 

“Hyung.” 

 

 

Jongwoon could only glare in response. He wondered when and why did it suddenly become so hard to read Hyukjae. 

 

 

“Let’s play a game.” 

 

 

Jongwoon deadpanned. He was in fact, at a loss for words. He was so confused and taken aback by the request that he felt his own anger disappear for a moment. What? 

 

 

“Do I look like—”

 

 

“Please, hyung. Play with me.” 

 

 

There was a pregnant pause where Jongwoon contemplated just how much more patience he had before he has an outburst. He reached the conclusion that he was really just a saint, so okay fine, he would play along. (Read: He actually just missed being in the presence of Hyukjae.) 

 

 

“Fine.” 

 

 

The younger’s eyes lit up. “Yay!” Hyukjae pushed Jongwoon back down into the seat and sat down beside him too. 

 

 

“It’s simple, hyung. We’ll have to find a date from this bar by the end of tonight. If either of us can’t find one, we’ll have to go on a date together.” 

 

 

… 

 

 

… 

 

 

… 

 

 

“What?” 

 

 

“Which part of the instructions did you not understand, Jongwoon hyung?” 

 

 

“Huh?”

 

 

“What???” 

 

 

“Is this a joke?”

 

 

Hyukjae swallowed nervously. “No…?” 

 

 

“Why am I looking for a date? Suddenly? Why do you want me to look for a date? Why are we looking for dates as a bet? Who would want to go on a date with us? Why are we going on a date if we don’t get a date?” 

 

 

“Hyung —”

 

 

“What sick joke are you trying to pull on me now, Lee Hyukjae?” 

 

 

Hyukjae had the audacity to look hurt by the comment, and in that moment, Jongwoon wished he was someone that wouldn’t mind resorting to violence to express his annoyance at the other man. 

 

 

“Hyung… it’s not a joke. Just… please play with me?” Hyukjae pleaded with wide-eyes with hope shimmering in them. It spoke volume about how much Jongwoon had a soft spot for Hyukjae when he realised just how hard it was to say ‘no’ to the younger, even despite everything that had happened.

 

 

“You. Are. So. ing. Infuriating.” He sighed. “Okay, we’ll play your stupid game. I’m so going to get a date, and you’re not. Because you’re annoying.” 

 

 

Jongwoon swore he heard Hyukjae amusedly muttered, “We shall see,” but before he could retort to it, Hyukjae started dragging him towards the bar excitedly. 

 

 

“Start flirting, hyung.” 

 

 

“I will.” 

 

 

 

 

Hyukjae wasn’t really sure if this was a good idea anymore. 

 

 

Clearly, he had severely underestimated how much of a green-eyed monster he could get when one Kim Jongwoon was involved. 

 

 

Even though he knew that the woman would turn down his hyung for a date, he could feel his eyelids twitching at the charming smile on his hyung’s face and the close proximity between his hyung and the woman as Jongwoon leaned towards the other’s ear to whisper sweet nothings. If Hyukjae was a lesser man, he would have stomped up to the pair already and dragged Jongwoon away with a pout like a small child protecting his favourite teddy bear. 

 

 

But alas, Hyukjae was not a lesser man. In fact, he was a man with a vision. And the vision being his hyung eventually coming to him to complain that he could not get a date at the bar (in his imagination, Jongwoon would be pouting and whining for this), to which Hyukjae would deeply sigh, and say something amongst the line of Oh golly, that’s terrible, hyung! I guess we have no choice but to go on a date now. Just so you know, I had many people throwing themselves at me! But I turned them down for your sake. Because I knew you would lose. Don’t ask me how I know that. Poor old me! What shall we do for our date, Jongwoon? I actually have 13 restaurants reserved for us already, you know, cause I had a feeling this would happen. So which one would you like to go to? 

 

 

And then Jongwoon would realise that Hyukjae was such an awesome boyfriend candidate, especially after all the horrible, horrible men and women at the bar who dared to turn down his hyung — never mind the fact that Hyukjae was the one that spent many wons to bribe everyone at the bar to do so (his wallet certainly did mind though, Hyukjae briefly wondered how many concerts he would have to do to make up for the costs, hence the upcoming D&E concerts). 

 

 

Then, ideally, the whole situation would end with Jongwoon pulling Hyukjae in for a hot, passionate kiss, and tongues battling for dominance or whatever those fanfiction authors liked to describe. The two of them would part, breathless, and they would officially become boyfriends.

 

 

It seemed like a pretty straightforward and feasible idea, right?!?!

 

 

Except now, Hyukjae was still trying to reel in his jealousy as he watched Jongwoon flirted with the sixth person of the night. If Hyukjae was anyone else who was not as obsessed with quietly observing Jongwoon, he might not have noticed that Jongwoon would frown in irritation and confusion any time he thought the person he was speaking to wasn’t looking. Ah, his hyung must be so offended by everyone right now! 

 

 

Suddenly, Hyukjae felt two bodies dropping onto the seats beside him. He turned his laser focus on Jongwoon away and saw Kyuhyun and Ryeowook staring at him in judgement. 

 

 

“What?” 

 

 

The two maknaes kept quiet and continued to size him up. Hyukjae felt a shrill of fear running up his spine. Please, he didn’t want to be pranked and tortured by the evil maknaes right before his hot, passionate kiss™ with Jongwoon. 

 

 

After a few more moments of unnerving silence for Hyukjae, Kyuhyun finally spoke up. “So what have you done for all the people to reject Jongwoon hyung?” 

 

 

Hyukjae almost fell off the seat at the challenging tone in the younger’s voice. How did he know?!

 

 

“Yeah, hyung. You should be glad that Jongwoon knows very well that he’s hot so he’s probably just confused instead of hurt that those people are turning him down.” Ryeowook chimed in. Hyukjae should have known that Jongwoon’s two number one cutest maknaes who were usually fiercely protective of Jongwoon would call him out for his meticulously thought-out plans. 

 

 

“I have… a vision, okay.” Hyukjae swallowed, and mentally willed himself to not cower in the face of the protective duo. 

 

 

“Which is?” 

 

 

“I can’t tell you, Kyu.” 

 

 

There was a minute of silence again where Ryeowook and Kyuhyun just stared at Hyukjae, as if to gauge if they should torture an answer out of him. 

 

 

After a moment, both Ryeowook and Kyuhyun merely bursted out in laughter and Hyukjae felt two palms patting his back loudly and violently, like it was a threat. “If you say so, hyung. But Hyukjae— if you make Jongwoon hyungie sad, we will not hesitate to come after you, okay?” Kyuhyun threatened with a menacing smile. 

 

 

And of course Ryeowook chimed in, “Kyuhyunnie’s right, hyung. We love Jongwoonie hyung a lot, so if we see him crying because of you, we will let loose ten ostriches to chase after you. I will find the ostriches, and I will make it happen.” 

 

 

Hyukjae could not believe he was actually getting a ing shovel talk by his dongsaengs right there and then. Hyukjae made a mental reminder that he would find a way to convince his best friend softie Lee Donghae to give a shovel talk to Jongwoon too when they finally start dating, just so Jongwoon could experience this fear that he was feeling right now. This KRY camaraderie ran a little deeper than he expected, and no, that was not jealousy, thank you very much. 

 

 

“I won’t. I mean, I’ll try not to. As much as possible. But I’m dumb sometimes, so.” 

 

 

“You’re not dumb, you are just so desperate for hyung’s attention that you don’t know when to stop with your teasing.” 

 

 

“I—”

 

 

Ryeowook cut him off sharply. “Shut up, hyung. Now, please carry out your whatever plan to win over Jongwoon hyung, because if I see another guy reject him, I might storm over and punch a man.” 

 

 

And with a hard shove from Kyuhyun and Ryeowook, Hyukjae stumbled out of his seat clumsily. He cursed his luck with disrespectful maknaes as he straightened his clothes and started to slowly make his way towards Jongwoon, who was still at the bar counter listening attentively to a brunette’s ramble. Hyukjae could feel his heart racing. Oh god, his vision, he had a plan and he was going to execute it now.  

 

 

Hyukjae sidled up to the empty stool beside Jongwoon right when Jongwoon’s companion panickedly shook his head at his hyung and scampered away from the counter. That’s right, off loser!

 

 

The younger swallowed nervously before clearing his throat. “Hyung.” 

 

 

Jongwoon turned to face him begrudgingly, with a grumpy pout on his face. Hyukjae mentally cheered— ahhh, this was exactly how he imagined his grand plan to play out. 

 

 

“I don’t get it! Why the does everyone look so scared when I asked them on a date! I swear to god they looked like they were so into me the whole time, right until I asked the question.” 

 

 

“Who wouldn’t be into you?” Hyukjae mumbled under his breath. 

 

 

“What?” 

 

 

Hyukjae jumped a little. “Nothing! Nothing, hyung.” Then he chuckled nervously, “Aish hyung, look at you. I guess we have to go on a date together after all. Poor me.” Oh god, he did it, he did it, he did it. They were going to go on a date. Hyukjae felt like his heart was going to jump out of his chest at any moment. 

 

 

Hyukjae watched as Jongwoon narrowed his eyes sharply at the younger. Then, his hyung leaned closer, till his face was mere inches away from Hyukjae’s, his warm breath hitting against Hyukjae’s lips. Hyukjae swallowed hard. 

 

 

“Oh yeah? We're going on a date?” Jongwoon rasped silkily. Too close, Jongwoon was too close. Hyukjae thought he might faint right away. 

 

 

“Y-yes? I mean, you l-lost the bet, right?” 

 

 

Jongwoon simply responded haughtily with an arched brow. “Did I?” 

 

 

“What?” 

 

 

Before Hyukjae knew it, Jongwoon had shot up from his seat and was dragging a confused and shocked Hyukjae by his arm as they strode across the bar. The strong grip on Hyukjae's arm burning through his skin. They arrived at a dimly lit, empty hallway before Jongwoon pushed the younger against the wall. Hyukjae’s back collided against the hard concrete with a soft ‘thump’, and suddenly, Jongwoon had an arm on the wall, beside Hyukjae’s face, his other arm warmly wrapped around the younger’s nape. The whole length of Jongwoon’s body was pressed so close against Hyukjae, that Hyukjae almost felt like his senses were giddily assaulted by the older’s woody cologne. 

 

 

Hyukjae had no idea what the just happened. This was not how his vision played out! 

 

 

“H-hyung?” 

 

 

“Hyukjae-ah, didn’t us hyungs teach you to stop being such a little playful rascal?” 

 

 

“Jongwoon hyung, what—”

 

 

“You think I couldn’t figure out your little plan, hmm? Your hyung here knows you too well, baby boy. You can’t fool me.”

 

 

Hyukjae was speechless. Nooooo, his grand plan… his vision! The husky voice and demanding tone from Jongwoon right beside his ear was absolutely not helping with how lightheaded he was feeling right now.

 

 

“You want me so bad, huh, baby? Coming up with your little genius plan to bribe the whole place out and asking me to play a little game with you? You’re adorable, Hyukkie.” 

 

 

“I’m—”

 


“Shut up, Hyukjae. Tell me now, the past few weeks of you being an absolute to me, that was just you being a nervous brat that didn’t know how to admit your feelings for me, isn’t it?” 

 

 

At this point, the younger simply surrendered — he didn’t see a point in denying anymore, not when Jongwoon had saw through him already, and especially not when Jongwoon was right where he wanted, the older's lithe body pressed deliciously against his. 

 

 

“Yes, hyung.” Hyukjae didn’t know he could sound so breathless. 

 

 

“If only you were a bit more observant, Hyukjae ah, if only you weren’t such a school boy with a crush and joked around less and just spent your time on watching me instead, you would have known that I had my eyes on you all along.” 

 

 

“Hyung…” The younger rasped in disbelief. 

 

 

“But you just had to be a little brat, didn’t you? Beating around the bush and look at you now, is this what you wanted? Us having our first kiss in a dodgy hallway of a bar?”

 

 

“First kiss?!?!” 

 

 

“I would have otherwise brought you out on cute cafe dates already, but too bad, you—”

 

 

“Hyung!” 

 

 

Jongwoon wrinkled his nose at being interrupted by the younger. Lee Hyukjae truly had no manners. 

 

 

“What?” 

 

 

“Can I have my first kiss now?” 

 

 

“I was actually talking before you—”

 

 

Hyukjae wrapped his hands around Jongwoon’s face and pulled the older man towards him, their lips finally crashing against each other. Both Hyukjae and Jongwoon poured all the passion, frustration, and unresolved tension into the kiss, their lips just couldn’t seem to stop moving against each other’s softness. It didn't even matter that they were high-profile idols making out in a semi-public bar. 

 

 

And when they finally parted, panting, all that was on Hyukjae’s mind was that yeah, this was so much better than any stupid vision that he had in his head.