Red

It Started With a Perfect Kiss (Then Poison Set In)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Under the dim light of our room, once filled with laughter, and in a city where people only mind themselves, lay a shattered vase, fragmented into six pieces of varying sizes and colors. Each piece held a significant memory from our shared life.

"Can you pick up the pieces?" I asked, my voice devoid of emotion. I had lost something within me. I couldn't pinpoint when, but I knew that I could no longer feel anything.

Her eyes spoke volumes—a mixture of guilt, regret, and a desperate plea for forgiveness. "Babe... I-I'm sorry," she stammered, tears drowning her face as she yearned for the affection our love had once held.

"Jimin, can you please pick up the pieces?" I repeated, looking directly at her.

She glanced at me briefly before complying, picking up the six fragments and placing them on the dining table. Her movements were slow and hesitant, an indication of her confusion and uncertainty about what to do next. She hoped that by obeying, she could somehow alleviate the tension building within our suffocatingly small space.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a tube of ceramic glue, placing it next to the vase. "Glue it," I instructed calmly.

She nodded and focused intently on reassembling the shattered pieces, attempting to fuse them together in a way that couldn't be easily undone. As she worked, her concentration was remarkable, considering the turmoil within her. After some time, she managed to fit the fragments back together, visible lines marking the bonds that held them in place.

"Is it fixed?" I inquired, my voice still composed.

I searched her eyes, hoping to find answers that would bring solace. Yet, all I saw was the reflection of guilt, regret, and an ardent plea for forgiveness. Those eyes, once my refuge, now offered no solace for my shattered heart.

 

 

In the crucible of our once intoxicating love, sweetness morphed into a toxic poison, seeping into the depths of our beings, eroding the tender fibers of our souls.

---

 

"Happy Anniversary, Babe!" I turned towards the voice and there stood the love of my life, Yoo Jimin.

It was April 4, 2026, marked in our cute calendar with a big heart, drawn by me with her by my side. Today was our anniversary, but was it our 9th or 10th? I reminisced, thinking back to the moment she said "YES" during my most embarrassing moment, which turned out to be the start of my unremarkable happiness. Despite feeling exhausted from work, I was filled with joy as the sun's light shone upon me, driving away any traces of weariness. Aha, Today is our 10th anniversary.

Placing my belongings on a chair, I took a few hurried steps towards her and greeted her with a tender kiss. Looking into her eyes, I expressed my affection through my tired but loving gaze. "It's our 10th, baby. Can you believe it?"

Her smile widened, revealing her adorable dimples, and her eyes sparkled with the same excitement mirrored in my own. We exchanged tender smiles, knowing that the day ahead would be filled with cherished moments and heartfelt expressions of affection. I glanced around and noticed the dining table adorned with our favorite comfort meal, appetizers, and desserts, all freshly cooked by us. In the center, a single candle cast a warm glow, the only source of light amidst the dim ambiance. Rose petals scattered across the table, and next to the candle stood our vase, a symbol of our love, crafted during our 5th anniversary.

"I thought you might not make it," she teased.

"I could never, babe."

Jimin guided me to a chair, and she sat in front of me. "Giselle called me a while ago, saying you were still in the operating room. I can't believe she still pulls pranks like that." She started cutting the ribeye steak and placed a succulent piece on my plate. "Tell me, did you plan it with her?"

I chuckled and shook my head. "I had no idea, babe." I reciprocated by serving the donkatsu onto her plate and adding sushi with a dollop of wasabi. "I bet a dollar this steak is exquisitely juicy and bursting with flavor. You're outdoing me in the kitchen."

Taking a spoonful of the steak, I savored its juiciness. "Yum, baby! You cooked this to perfection. It's almost as if you've made it a hundred times before. Tell me, what are the things you don't know how to do?"

She rolled her eyes, and I laughed heartily, sealing the moment with a playful chef's kiss.

As time passed, we became lost in our own little world, where the confines of our small space transformed into an intimate sanctuary reserved just for us. We shared inside jokes, finishing each other's sentences, and basked in the comfort of being truly seen and understood.

After our meal, I connected the Bluetooth speaker on our wall and played our song, "Nothing" by Bruno Major. The soft piano intro began, and I added my improvised touch, knowing it would take a moment for us to find our rhythm and sway together in the midnight. Dim lights and the cityscape outside our condo surrounded us, creating a surreal moment.

"Baby?" I gazed into her eyes, filled with longing and love, my emotions threatening to overflow. It was hard to believe we had come this far, that Jimin was here with me, our hands intertwined, bodies close, sharing the same breath in this space as if we could only breathe in the same space.

Placing my hands on her waist, I held her left hand with my right, while her hand rested on my shoulder. Our foreheads gently touched.

"I love you so much," Jimin whispered, her eyes locked with mine. I felt it deep within my being, a connection that defied fatigue and weariness. This was real. It was all real.

We swayed to the rhythm of the song, the lyrics I sang resonating in the room. "No words can define what I feel, my love, but one thing is c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter