Weight of Responsibility

Astrantia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Are you going to be okay tonight, Byul?" Yongsun asked, her voice laced with concern as she placed a comforting hand on Byul's shoulder. Byul gave her a brave smile, though her eyes betrayed a glimmer of lingering fear. "As much as I'd like for you to stay, your parents must be worried too, if not upset," she said gently. "Don't forget you punched someone. So yeah, I'll be fine." She squeezed Yongsun's hand reassuringly. 

YongSun's heart ached at the thought of abandoning Byul after the day's traumatic events. But she knew she was already in enough trouble for punching YoonDo. Reluctantly, she pulled Byul into a fierce embrace, "if you need anything, anything at all, call me immediately," she urged wishing she could stay to keep her friend company. "I will. Now go, before you get into more trouble. Goodnight Yong." Byul said with a sad smile. Yongsun pulled her into one last hug. "Goodnight, Byul," she whispered. 

Yongsun's shoulders slumped as she walked slowly home, dreading the confrontation with her parents. She had hoped to avoid them a little longer, but the house was lit up like a beacon. Taking a deep breath, she opened the front door. The family butler TaeHyun was there waiting in the foyer, his usual stoic features replaced with a look of solemn sympathy. "Good evening, Young Leader Kim," he said politely. 

"Good evening, TaeHyun," Yongsun said with a strained smile as she slipped off her shoes. "How are you this evening?" 

"I'm quite well, thank you," TaeHyun replied warmly, moving to take her bag. His expression soon shifted to one of solemn concern. "Though I'm afraid the tranquility of this day has been disrupted by troubling news from your school regarding Young Moon and Young Nam." 

Yongsun's shoulders slumped, her eyes downcast. "Yes, I feared you would say as much," she said quietly. "My parents know about the incident with Young Nam, don't they?" TaeHyun nodded gravely. "I regret to inform you they await your presence in the study. They are most distressed by today's events." Yongsun sighed heavily, her heart sinking. "I cannot blame them for their anger." She met TaeHyun's sympathetic gaze. "I never meant for things to go so far. Please believe that."  

"I know you to be a good soul, Yongsun," TaeHyun said kindly, giving her shoulder an encouraging squeeze. "No matter what happens, never forget that. All will be well." Yongsun steeled herself and nodded. "I suppose it's time to face the music. Please lead the way,” she replied, trying to sound more confident than she felt. TaeHyun turned around and began to her towards the study on the second floor. 

As they began to ascend the stairs, Yongsun felt her feet growing heavier with each step. Her heart pounded; nerves coiled tight at the thought of facing her parents' wrath. As they reached the imposing mahogany doors of the study, Yongsun could hear her parents' muffled voices rising in heated argument behind the closed entrance. This did not bode well. Beside her, TaeHyun hesitated, concern etched on his features as he listened to the angry exchange happening within. But duty compelled him onwards. Stepping forward, he rapped firmly on the study door three times. 

The voices quieted immediately. TaeHyun straightened his shoulders and turned the ornate handle. "Do forgive the interruption, Leader and Matriarch Kim," TaeHyun called out politely. "But your daughter, Young Leader Yongsun, has arrived home." A tense silence followed. Yongsun held her breath, bracing herself. Finally, her mother's clipped voice responded. "Send her in." Taking a deep, steadying breath, Yongsun lifted her chin and stepped over the threshold.  

Inside, her parents stood on opposite sides of a large mahogany desk, both wearing nearly identical expressions of stern disapproval. Her father's jaw was tight with barely contained anger, while her mother's lips were pressed into a thin, uncompromising line. It was painfully clear they had been arguing about her. Yongsun forced herself to meet their gazes unflinchingly. "Omma, Appa, please allow me to explain..." she began hesitantly. 

But her father silenced her with his hand raise

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter