Part 1

Not Just Business
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nako adjusted the frilly apron wrapped around her waist, attempting for the tenth time that morning to make a perfect cup of latte. Her petite hands shook a little, causing a tiny spill. She quickly wiped it away and looked around, hoping no one saw. Her track record of clumsiness was beginning to be legendary at the café, and she was desperately trying to avoid another incident.

"Steady, Nako, steady," she muttered to herself.

She took a deep breath, stretched her arms, and then carefully picked up a pristine white porcelain cup. As she began to pour, a customer called out to her, startling her. The cup tumbled, shattering into a dozen pieces on the ground. The café fell silent.

"Oh no, not again!" Nako whispered, her face crimson.

Her boss, a tall, graceful woman with a permanently exasperated expression when it came to Nako, approached the counter. Despite being a gentle soul, she had a business to run. She sighed heavily, "Nako, darling, this is the third cup this week."

"I'm so sorry," Nako's voice wavered, "I promise I'll pay for it!"

Her boss shook her head, "It's not about the cup, dear. I can't keep replacing china and mopping up messes." She paused, choosing her words carefully, "I think it's best if you... take a break from the café. Indefinitely."

Tears welled up in Nako's eyes. "You mean... I'm fired?"

Her boss nodded, her own eyes full of regret, "I'm sorry, Nako."

In her despair, Nako dashed out of the café, pushing past the velvet curtains and out into the busy streets. As she tried to navigate through her tears, she found herself in front of a bakery. Trying to hold back a sob, she picked up her pace, but just as she was about to pass it, she tripped over an oddly placed street sign. Tumbling forward, her face landed right into a cream pie di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter