Chapter Three: Of Smiles and Coffee

Double Take
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Take care” Jiyeon waved her goodbye to Yongmin as she exited his vehicle, Yeeun following suit. She did not watch Yongmin go, puzzling Yeeun because she knows that the older always made sure that her boyfriend had driven off before she went inside her apartment building. However, Yeeun did not say anything about it since she was the one who exchanged waves and smiles with the guy.

 

Jiyeon wordlessly waited for the elevator to go down to the ground floor, and Yeeun arrived shortly after her. “Unnie, something’s off about you today” the younger commented, catching Jiyeon’s attention.

 

No way she noticed, right? Were her thoughts. “Hmm? What made you say that Yeeun-ah?” She tried to sound as sweet as possible, eyes forming crescents, she didn’t know if it looked as fake as it felt, but Yeeun didn’t push the issue more.

 

“Nevermind, I might have been imagining things, you know, I was too busy today” the younger groaned and flopped down the couch, Jiyeon just observed her slippers that flew to different directions. If it were the usual her, she might have picked it up and placed it neatly by the sofa, but this time, she just passed by it (she thinks that little things like this would make a huge difference).

 

“True, it’s quite busy today, I did not even manage to go down the cafeteria for lunch” Instead of consoling her sister, Jiyeon just added her own complaint, making the other frown.

 

“I think I was busier, the other employees were even pushing their work to me!” Yeeun did not want to back down so Jiyeon could only roll her eyes, why didn’t she notice these things before?

 

“Sure sure” she ended their talk just like that, and before entering her room, “I won’t be having dinner tonight, and I'll be working on some tasks that I took home with me” (which was a lie, because she already finished everything earlier). She closed the door without hearing Yeeun’s response.

 

“But how will I eat?!” She could hear the complaints from outside the door.

 

Jiyeon just answered her simply, “Just order from, or eat outside. You’ll be fine.” After a few minutes, she could hear Yeeun going out of their door, and she finally breathed a sigh of relief. She knows that Yeeun will surely be eating out with Yongmin, but she did not care, her feelings for him are now gone, when she realized that he was really a disaster, and that she may really die this time if she kept on loving him.

 

The brunette plopped down her bed, her waist-long hair draping over her sheets. “Maybe I should start with my appearance” she thought. “Me being so plain might have been the trigger for Yongmin” she had self depreciating thoughts, “But I already look like this when we met, so why would he even date me in the first place?” She pondered, but could not really think of the cause, so she stood up and moved over to her desk.

 

Grabbing her pen and a notebook, Jiyeon began scribbling down her thoughts. “To get this straight, it’s now 2020, I went six years back in time.” She wrote down the memorable events that she could remember. “Hmm, so that means that this is also the year Yeeun entered the company, and this September, Yongmin is supposed to propose, resulting to our marriage next year” She wrote down the word engagement in red ink. “I wonder, how should I break it off with him? Expose him cheating? But that’s too cliché, and I don’t really want it to be over just like that” she noted down eveything she could think off, repeated the process of writing and erasing the words.

 

Jiyeon spent the rest of her night brainstorming by herself, but she did not manage to finish up her plans because the sun was about to rise, meaning, she still had to go to work.

 

“, I didn’t even notice the time!” She frantically moved around her room. “Ahh! I just hope that I don't make too many mistakes later, or fall asleep again.” She imagined herself falling asleep, then waking up to Kim Hyunjung’s angry face. “No no no, anything but that!” She rushed to get ready for the day, but not without forgetting to put her notebook into a drawer, then locking it secure.

 

_____

 

“Those are some bags under your eyes” Jiyeon looked up from her computer and gave a small smile to the other woman.

 

“Hey, Juyeon” The taller one was leaning over her desk and cocked a perfectly timmed brow.

 

“I think you changed” she knitted her brows and stared at Jiyeon. “You seem a little more carefree” she added, “And you just smiled at me, you never smile” she pointed to Jiyeon. “You always wore a serious expression every time, miss Kim"

 

“Really?” Jiyeon never realized that she really was the serious type at work. “I never reali

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter