Final

The Substitute Teacher
1 text message received from Minzy
"Dara, are you going to dance tonight?"

1 text message sent from Dara
"Yupp. I'm heading now actually."

1 text message received from Minzy
"Kay. I'm here now so.. Come here soon! Oh.. And I think we have a sub since I don't see our teacher."



--



I took off my outdoor shoes and prepared to go inside the student lounge for hip hop dancers.

"Dara! You're here! Kay so, help me with my high school registrations while we wait for the others." Minzy exclaimed as soon as her vision caught me.

"Okay. So, what are the courses and options you want to take?" I replied, showing off my superiority.

"I want to take Bio, Chem and Physics 30 but I'm not sure if I should take them all because of all the options I want to take..." Minzy continued on and I tried my best to listen to her, but the talk about high school became drawn out.

Before long, all the other hip hop dancers were already here. Each of them was doing their own thing; talking to their friends, listening to their ipods, etc. We're all not close to each other but our minds were connected to one thing. Why is the substitute not doing anything about us?

Dance classes were scheduled to start 5 minutes ago, yet no action from inside the dance room was occurring. One brave dancer went up and peeked inside the room. Immediately, she spun around and briskly walked back to the "group". What had she seen?

"There was some guy inside the corner just sitting down and staring at me." As if she read my mind, she answered the question.

"What? Then if the teacher's there, why hasn't he done anything?" A girl named Bom wondered.

"I don't know. Should we just walk inside and start stretching?" The brave girl, named Chaerin, asked.

No way am I walking in that room. I sort of know Chaerin. Her dancing is fierce and powerful. Each step was oozing with charisma. As far as I know, she wasn't scared of anything... Until now. Personality wise, I contrast her. A tiny dog is able to completely make me surrender to him. The idea of flying terrifies me enough to scare myself with my own imagination. No way am I going into the studio if the almighty tigress Chaein succumbs to a simple gaze.

"Let's just wait for a few minutes and see what he does." Minzy suggested. Everyone seemed to agree with the idea and therefore waits in anxiety as minutes tick away.

Finally, Bom's patience has run out and stormed towards the room with full intent of showing who's boss. Though, what awaited her was unexpected by anyone.

There was no one in the room. Not a single soul was present. Each corner was thoroughly checked and not a hint of him was traced.

Fright takes over my whole body, wondering what is happening right now. This can't be. Chaerin said there was someone here. Was she lying? Doubt it.

"I swear there was someone here." Chaerin whispered against the chill athmosphere.

"Guys... Is this some kind of joke?" I asked, hoping some of our friends will pop out and surprise us with balloons and streamers. That didn't happen.

"I'll go call my mom and see what to do." Minzy offered. Instantly, all our arms were linked together as if to say, "We're not scared. We're together. We can do this." But our minds were a complete opposite of that.

"Mom, there's no one here." Minzy's voice echoed through the walls. "No, I'm not joking. Our hip hop teacher isn't here and there was a sub but he disappeared. What do we do?" "Yeah. Okay. We'll do that." And with that, Minzy hung up.

"What'd she say?" I asked.

"She said to go tell the other dance teachers in the other rooms."

"Who goes?" Chaerin asked the question that all of us had on our minds.

"Not it."
"Not it."
"Not it."
"Dammit." Bom cursed. What a curse it was.

All three of us watched as Bom knocked on Room C. A ballet student came out and then quickly asked for the ballet teacher to come out. Surprised looks quickly casted upon their faces as they double-checked what we were saying.

There really was no one.

"There was a sub there. That's a fact. Where'd he go? Did he come out the back door? There's no one there though." The ballet teacher muttered to herself, but my ears were quick to catch the words.

Only one question ran through my mind. We all gazed at each other at the same time. I guess we're wondering the same thing.

What happened to the substitute teacher?



--



Soo... Just a quick one-shot. Not much of an ending, but this was based on a true story that happened to my friends and I a couple of weeks ago and... I'm still wondering.

Leave a comment on what you think (: