fin

kisses ain't a thing
Please log in to read the full chapter

jimin remembered being mesmerized by aeri from the first sight.

 

skin smooth like a new-born. elegant headband suited excellently with her brown hair. those beautiful orbs then turning to cute little crescent and sparkling with genuine polite manner and friendliness when introducing herself. sophisticatedly slender fingers waving shyly making the atmosphere became more relaxing as well as so familiar - like a genuine family - contrasting sharply with her oversized cool shirt fitting way too well with her strong swag charisma.

 

she is uchinaga aeri.

 

the one and only japanese name jimin has engraved in her mind from the first time she heard it.

 

trainee days were the hardest to her. despite being able to chase her dream as a kpop idol and especially as a junior of her idols, things weren't always well ordered. the fear of losing herself and being left behind during training progress didn't once let go of her shoulders.

 

but she was a saviour to jimin's life, when aeri came along with the statement that she would join them in their debut. as a new girl group.

 

it felt like a dream came true. that meant she needn't worry about being get rid of anymore, but it also indicated that they would have to work harder to deserve the company's confirmation of their talent and their vibes that suited this group's concept the most.

 

but when she said aeri was her saviour, she meant it. as a leader, she has more responsibilities to take care of the group, but aeri was, and is, always there for her. sharing her surprisingly wide insight in music, helping her with tasks that aeri didn't ought to take, accompanying her in supermarket trips, mentally noting her interests as she never missed to buy some of jimin's favourites when doing solo shopping, becoming her positive energy, an ear to lend and a trusty shoulder to lean on.

 

aeri is truly a supportive mate, to be honest.

 

jimin appreciates every second of her alone time, to recharge after long tiring days and comfort her inner child.

 

she used to spend those precious moments on a solitary area of the company's rooftop, let the wind and cozy feeling at sunset solace her as tears rimmed her eyes when d-day was coming sooner or later. the pandemic lockdown was nowhere near its end so they had to make their debut under desolate circumstances.

 

besides, fake rumours about her were the talk of the town at that time, slowly affecting her confidence and it was worse as time went by. debuting without offline witness could somehow make them feel at ease from the get-go since they were free from pressure of directly judgemental spectators, but performing without applause (she weakly hoped there would be) was still so surreal.

 

sinking deep and deeper in her personal bubble, she didn't notice that there was little squeak noise from the entrance.

 

"oh?", there came someone's voice, "ji-jimin ssi?"

 

being startled by a very but not very acquainted voice, she looked back, observing a confused buddy who made her sight land on everything but jimin.

 

"sorry, uhm- did i bother you?"

 

"not at all", jimin quickly wiped the upcoming tears by her sleeve, then reassuring aeri when she looked like leaving at the drop of the hat, "you can come and join me here, if you don't mind, huh?"

 

aeri's sheepish smile didn't leave her lips. she was about to withdraw from this rooftop as well, but after realizing her teammate's eyes were a bit swollen, she decided to stay.

 

"first time to this place, do you?"

 

"yeah", aeri scratched her nape, "we are having some free time this afternoon and i thought it would be nice to go for a small unofficial sight-seeing in our company's building?"

 

"my bad, i don't remember to take you go around and observe some-"

 

"don't say so", aeri shook her head, "we are all busy these days and you've worked hard, our leader deserve a proper rest too"

 

she waved an iced bottle of beverage in front of jimin's sight, "you want some? i still have one here"

 

"oh, thank you", jimin received it with her two hands, "for everything, uchinaga-san".

 

"my pleasure, yu jimin-nim"

 

they both giggled at their honorifics. jimin was the first one to take a sip of the drink aeri gave her, feeling refreshing than ever before.

 

"excuse me for being curious, but you look burdened... so, would you mind to share penny of your thoughts? i have time to kill tho", she paused, contemplating, "oh, just your eyebrows seem like they wanna rant about something. if you're uncomfortable about it, you don't have to tell me so."

 

jimin took a deep inhale, reorganizing her words before making up her mind to spill.

 

it was aeri, a considerate and confidential aeri, not any random person who she could really trust in.

 

"i- you know, things pouring on our head and that toxic energy... i don't think my tolerance is doing fine recently.."

 

aeri's faithful eyes allowed jimin to keep on ranting and burst into sentiments, jimin's head on her lap and her tear unconsciously falling down on aeri's fabric as aeri naturally combed through her hair, as if she had done it thousands of times before.

 

and jimin couldn't agree more that she was gradually enarmoured of this kind behaviour of aeri.

 

"why don't we let the nature take its course?", when jimin felt like she was going to fall asleep in this peaceful aura, aeri's soft voice awoke her tiring mind.

 

"we trust you, as always, jimin ah. but please don't push yourself that way. everyone is not flawless but from the bottom of our heart, you're always a good girl, an angel with golden heart who takes care of us so so well", her thumb stoke lightly on jimin's cheek, "i hope you won't be overloaded about that, let us take care of you too."

 

aeri took a deep breath as a short break before regaining her voice, and jimin's temple was slightly given a massage, "mind you that we are a group now, we do respect your personal space but if it's hard to keep it for yourself, we're all ears for you"

 

aeri took jimin's silence as a sign to continue.

 

"when you feel like the world is against you, you still have us."

 

all of a sudden, aeri lowered her head, lips were inches away from jimin's forehead until they touched her hair, careful as if she would be broken into pieces when aeri was reckless.

 

"and you have my company, remember that, will you?"

 

soft whisper from aeri worked as though it was a pulse that pushed blood burning hot to the tips of jimin's tiny ears. as minutes floated keeping her dainty and affectionate (to jimin's imagination) orbs at jimin's eye level, aeri pulled away, her voice nonchalant.

 

"it's getting darker and colder, isn't it? i see your ears are red now, should we come inside?"

 

"oh-uhm, okay."

 

never had jimin experienced herself running at such rocketing speed.




 

------




 

jimin peeked up to the sight of aeri having her head hung down, all of her focus was on the newest drama that they decided to watch together. unlike other foreign trainees who made their highest attempt to learn korean, aeri didn't seem like she had hard time mastering any language. not just because her mom is korean, but she really had xenoglossy as her utmost ability, plus her diligence was no joke, no matter in which aspect, she would try her best forever.

 

however, jimin was always beside her to shed light on some of the phrases that she wasn't accustomed to, and she was (a little) proud of it when she could gain aeri's cheeky grin and cute 'thanks' after each explanation.

 

"you're a good teacher, a born-to-be literature teacher though"

 

(oh was it weird for her to wish that aeri had problem with every single word of the korean dictionary?)

 

"i'm pleased to hear that."

 

after that short break, the rest of their day was for practising and practice only. when the exhausted girls collapsed on the cool floor, it was already past eight at night.

 

"should we go and get something to fill our stomach? i think it's protesting", asked aeri - the only one who managed to lift up her body, her frame leaning on the wall when minjeong's head naturally trail aeri's lap to peacefully rest on it.

 

"i want ice cream!", ning yizhuo claimed loudly, her exciting voice didn't match the way her limbs could barely move an inch.

 

"proper food, ning. we're not gonna suffer from stomachache and stuff from this young age."

 

"yeah yeah, Ms. Uchinaga Medic only speaks facts"

 

as soon as she finished her sentence, aeri heard a small 'ting' from her phone, informing that she received a message from kakaotalk.

 

the nickname couldn't be more familiar, aeri smiled.

 

scaredy cat >.<

 

"can't we have ice cream right now? ;<"

"like pretty please?"

 

she could even imagine jimin's whining tone when begging her. just as usual.

 

"i told you"

"but if you want to, i can spare you one ;)"

 

"promiseeeee?"

 

aeri softly snorted, ignoring the way minjeong slightly winced because of her movement.

 

"dunno"

"kkkkk"

"i gotta go now"

 

aeri shoved the phone into her pocket, ruffling minjeong's hair.

 

"you wanna have a walk too?"

 

"i do want to, but help me stand up first, unnie"

 

a beam crept up to aeri's lips, she carefully pushed minjeong from her back, cupping the younger's cheek to sweep away her tiredness and then offering her hand to hoist minjeong.

 

"just go out and wash your face first, i will follow you soon."

 

aeri took a quick look at their leader, the sight of jimin jutting her plump lips out didn't go unnoticed by aeri. she looked like that meme of a black cat facing the corner of the room sobbing alone and aeri chuckled at her thoughts.

 

she guessed that her kakaotalk was being attacked by jimin's flood of crying stickers, as her phone was vibrating non-stop.

 

she looked over her shoulder again, making sure that their maknae still had her eyes closed tightly for recharging, then dashing to jimin.

 

"hey big baby", aeri poked jimin's shoulder, getting that scaredy cat jumped out of the blue.

 

"w-what- i thought you accompanied minjeong to the store?"

 

"yep, and i will get some ice cream for you guys."

 

"oh?", jimin's surprising expression couldn't help but making aeri laugh.

 

gosh, please don't allow her to be spoiled by aeri more.

 

aeri flicked jimin's forehead before leaning in closer.

 

"dummy, is that the reason why you're throwing tantrum to me?"

 

jimin tried to defend, but her breath hitched at that appealing raise of aeri's eyebrows and the zoom-in of marvellous visual present right in front of her. she gulped, absentmindedly using her hand to rub the spot where aeri had (affectionately) hit her.

 

"um, yeah? thank you?"

 

and all jimin could register afterward was aeri bowing lower, placing her beautiful lips on jimin's forehead.

 

"i'll be right back soon."

 

was that one for appeasing her?

 

it was more like teasing her!!

 

jimin swore that those bunny teeth appearing when aeri smiled at her couldn't help in that case, as the blush already spread over her small face.

 

she wouldn't admit that uchinaga has really had that huge impact on her.



 

------

 

jimin has acknowledged that she is clingy toward people, especially among who she is close with. hands in hands, arms linking, chin on shoulders, pats on the hips - sometimes playfully on their booties, little massages, hugs formed out of the blue. but its strangeness reached the extent that even their youngests could point out she was too sticky too aeri those days.

 

she found it hard to keep her hand for herself every time aeri was next to her. it's her muscle habit, or second nature. whatever. jimin just voluntarily got lost. letting her instinct works.

 

she had no intention to defend herself.

 

like, how could she stop herself when aeri was so charming and her embraces were always welcoming that way? how could people resist their urge to not plop into aeri's wholesome hugs? especially when aeri overindulged her with almost everything she needed (not gonna exclude her warmth), jimin wasn't able to oppose her desire to express her excitement toward aeri, who always looked at her with gentle smiles and warm hands patting her back.

 

even when she was in her worst condition.

 

"you okay?"

 

why was aeri always there? witnessing all of jimin's most vulnerable moments?

 

"the kids are having snack inside and i thought it was a little bit too.. long since you've stayed outside."

 

she looked back, didn't even mind to wipe away her wet messy mascara. she looked terrible. she might have scared aeri. she would be left with her struggle once again, like people always did.

 

but instead, those enticing doe eyes made aeri make the move, enveloping jimin's shaking frame in her arms, hands pleasantly caressing her back.

 

as her head slung on aeri's shoulder, their height difference was not the deal then. all jimin wanted to d

Please log in to read the full chapter