My Only Love

My Only Love

 

Hanbin stood in front of the mirror, smoothing out the creases in his suit jacket as his best man, Bobby, handed him a shot of bourbon. “Here’s to a happy marriage,” Bobby said with a sly grin.

 

Bobby was a married man himself, and he knew firsthand how wonderful it was to have a partner to share life with. He was thrilled that his best friend was finally embarking on this journey. 

 

The groom wasn’t usually the type to get nervous, but today was different. He allowed himself a moment of vulnerability as he downed the shot, feeling the liquid warmth spreading through his body. He couldn’t deny the rush of excitement that came with the jitters, and he welcomed it with open arms. After all, this was his big day, the day he had been waiting for, the day he would marry the woman he loved more than anything. 

 

He couldn’t wait to see her walk down the aisle. As he looked at himself in the mirror, he felt a sense of pride. He looked good, damn good. But he knew that his bride would outshine him with her infectious energy and undeniable charm. After all, she was the star of this show.

 

His sister, Hanbyul, bustled around the room, fixing their mother’s hair and fussing with the flowers. “You look so handsome, oppa,” she said with a grin.

 

His mother’s hands flew up to as she beamed at him, her eyes glistening with tears. “My son is getting married today,” she said, her voice choked with emotion.

 

Hanbin smiled and reached out to give them both a quick hug. “Omma, please don’t cry, this is a happy day, remember?”

 

“I’m sure you’re going to cry later when you see Unnie walk down the aisle,” Hanbyul teasingly said, wiping away her own tears and her mother’s. “Everyone cries at weddings.”

 

As the family shared warm embraces and congratulations, flashes of light illuminated the room as photographers captured the blissful moments. But just as quickly as the joyous noise had filled the air, the wedding coordinator’s sharp voice cut through, “Kim Hanbin-sshi, it’s time to head to the hall and greet your guests. Everyone’s waiting for you.”

 

─────•~❉✿❉~•─────

 

The wedding hall was breathtaking. The walls were adorned with countless delicate crystals that cascaded like raindrops down to the floor. The ceiling was an intricate network of glowing white lights, like stars in the night sky. Every inch of the room was draped in shimmering white fabric, from the flowing curtains to the elegant tablecloths.

 

The sweet notes of the violin and cello from Brahms’ masterpiece filled the room. With every smile and greeting, Hanbin welcomed their handpicked guests to the wedding hall. 

 

The guests settled into their seats as the host’s voice echoed through the room, announcing the arrival of the groom. Bobby’s grin widened as he watched his best friend stride down the aisle with confidence and pride. 

 

Amidst the gentle flutter of petals, Hanbyul’s grace captivated the guests who were enchanted by the innocent beauty she radiated in her charming pink dress. Phones and cameras flickered in constant flashes, desperate to immortalize the moment.

 

The room fell into a reverent hush as the grand doors slowly opened to reveal the bride. All eyes were trained on her, the embodiment of beauty and grace. 

 

With every step she took down the aisle, the intricate lace and tulle of her gown moved like poetry in motion. The gown was adorned with delicate beading that glimmered and shone in the light, like a thousand tiny stars. The bodice was a work of art, hugging her curves in all the right places. Her hair was styled in an elegant chignon, with a few loose tendrils framing her face, lending an effortless air of sophistication.

 

Hanbin’s heart swelled with joy as he gazed upon the woman he knew he would spend the rest of his life with. Every step she took down the aisle brought her closer to him. His eyes locked onto hers, and he smiled at the thought of their future together. All of his fears and doubts melted away, and he knew with certainty that he was exactly where he was meant to be.

 

The bride’s eyes remained fixed on Hanbin waiting for her at the altar. Her heart overflowed with love. They had been through so much - the ups and downs, the laughter and tears. Through it all, their love had persevered. As she looked into Hanbin’s eyes, she knew that he was the one she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. He was her soulmate, her partner, and her best friend.

 

The first few notes of a beloved ballad played by the piano drifted through the air. It was a familiar tune that everyone in the room instantly recognized, a song that everyone knew and loved. The room was suddenly enveloped by the singer’s soulful voice.

 

In a fleeting moment, Hanbin’s gaze met the singer’s. Everything around them felt like it had come to a standstill, and it dawned on her that she was the only one still trapped in the past, while he had found a way to move forward.

 

Be my only one…

 

Hayi began. Her eyes never left Hanbin, even as his attention shifted back to his beautiful bride.

 

This is what love feels like - painful, and too late.

 

On rainy nights
Or on lonely daytimes
Please color me with your shiny light
I’ll do better when you promise me we will stay together

 

It was a heart-wrenching ode to the moments she had let slip away, the memories that now felt bittersweet. 

 

Be my only one
I don’t have to hide my feelings anymore
The words I sincerely wanted to say
I say, “I love you”

 

For so long, she had taken Hanbin’s presence in her life for granted, thinking that he would always be there, a constant in her world. But now she realized how foolishly confident she had been, how blinded she was by their comfortable friendship. It was a painful realization that she had been so selfish, so wrapped up in her own world that she hadn’t even considered the possibility that he might fall in love with someone else.

 

My only one, when I see you
I want to lean on you
I want to have you

 

How dashing he looked in that suit. What if she had been honest with him about her feelings all those years ago? Would he be looking at her with the same loving eyes that he now fixed on his bride?

 

Every step we take
It’s like a dance we perform together
My, oh my, oh my, oh my love

 

Hayi watched as the bride’s father handed her over to Hanbin, the way he held her tightly and the look they shared, it was clear that he was completely devoted to her. 

 

My only one.

 

This was a goodbye to a love that could never be.