Disease

Disease
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was too late when the man reached the ER. The nurse announced the time of death and the deceased was carried away.

 

The doctor sighs.

 

“Doctor Bae, can you sign the paper?”

 

“Hm? What  was the cause of death?”

 

“Heart failure.”

 

The doctor looks at her nurse. “Wasn’t he here a few months ago?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“And yet he didn’t heed our warning.. Was his heart intact?”

 

“…somewhat.”

 

The doctor signs the certificate and hands it to the nurse.

 

“I’ll be in my office.”

 

In her small room, doctor Bae sat quietly. She thinks about the man that lost his life for what she believes is the stupidest reason to go. She rubs her temples. She’s been in this business for 5 years now and it’s this disease that kills the most. A disease that has no actual cure but can definitely be mended. A disease that can easily be caught if one is not careful.

 

She sighs another deep one. She stops thinking when she feels something tugging at her coat. She looks down. A small, soft, jelly-like creature is trying to get her attention. She reached down to grab it and places it on her desk. The creature hops around her desk. The creature was just as big as the doctor’s fist. It was pretty small for its kind but it does reflect the size of its owner. And doctor Bae isn’t the biggest or tallest person. The creature hugs her hand now, trying to comfort her owner.

 

“I’m okay…” she taps the blob. “I won’t let anything like that happen to you… to us.”

 

KNOCK KNOCK

 

“Dr. Bae?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Your 1pm is here.”

 

“Okay, let her in.”

 

Dr. Bae composed herself. She grabs the small creature and placed it in the left pocket of her coat. 

 

The door swings open.

 

“HEY DOC!”

 

“Hi Seulgi!”

 

The patient was a young lady named Kang Seulgi. Dr. Bae has been her doctor for 2 years now.

 

She sat on the sofa facing the doctor.

 

“So……”

 

“So?” The doctor crossed her arms.

 

“I.. Um… we…”

 

“You what?”

 

“We are not okay.”

 

Dr. Bae gets up immediately.

 

“Where is it?”

 

Seulgi covers her face. “I TRIED! I SWEAR I DID 😫”

 

“Seulgi—“

 

“I MEAN IF IT WERE SO EASY THEN I WOULD HAVE AVOIDED IT YOU KNOW??” Seulgi starts pacing in the room.

 

“SEULGI!”

 

The girl stops.

 

“Where is it?” The doctor’s voice was stern. The creature in her pocket hardens. “Where is your heart?”

 

Seulgi gently pokes one of her pockets. Small jelly hands starts coming out of her pocket. It looks around, visibly shaking. 

 

Dr. Bae knelt and opened her palm for the creature. “Hey little guy. It’s me, Joohyun ☺️”

 

The creature won’t stop shaking.

 

Joohyun looks up at her patient. “Will you calm down Seulgi! Your heart is freaking out..”

 

“I’m trying but I know you’ll scold me…”

 

“C’mon out.. I’ll help mend you. I promise.”

 

The tiny heart in Seulgi’s pocket hid instantly.

 

“I know you’re hurting.. But I’ll be able to patch you up. C’mon, love.” Joohyun’s face soften. “I’ll let you play with my heart after, would you like that? ☺️”

 

The heart finally leaps out and lands on the doctor’s palm. It waves its tiny arms to greet th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter