How It Started

The Strategy
Please log in to read the full chapter

            Byulyi reached a turning point once she questioned herself the following thing: How long has she been crushing on her office colleague, aka Kim Yongsun?

            She was working at the office for around a year. She was pretty included in the environment, which wouldn’t be any different, since she was an easy-going person with a way to people’s heart. She was proud on always making friends wherever she was.

            Byulyi was friends with Yongsun, too. They talked every time they were at the office, some times they even sent messages to each other after work. When she got accepted to the job, Yongsun was there to present the work place to her. The woman was older than Byulyi was, but just a year. She had a very neat and strict way of acting, something that at first sight made Byulyi slightly insecure on getting closer, but that fell down when, right on the second day at work, she caught Yongsun struggling with a coffee machine. Byulyi just helped her out of that situation, she honestly couldn’t tell what Yongsun was doing wrong, especially because as soon after the machine just decided to work, she gave the prettiest smile Byulyi ever seen, along with a growing blush on her cheeks, probably caused by the embarrassment from the moment, Yongsun took the coffee mug when it was ready and waved her goodbye with a sweet see you around, Byulyi. Thank you, again.

            That was nothing. Byulyi had carried some paperwork for a colleague just a couple of minutes before, and also she had just helped another person to figure out what was wrong with their printer, but somehow putting a capsule on a coffee machine to Yongsun was way more of a good job than anything she had done on those two days.

            She was being whipped, that for sure. By the days passing, she had the opportunity to see Yongsun again. She ended up catching a glimpse of her before going to lunch, figuring out that Yongsun was used to eat earlier than most of the people in the office. Her newly made friends, Ahn Hyejin and Jung Wheein, explained to her that Yongsun had a very strict diet. She was also pretty active going to the gym.

            Not that she planned, but somehow she ended up eating with Yongsun all the following days ever since she figured that out. It just happened.

            It started on the very next day, Wheein was the one working closer to her when she suddenly stood from the chair to announce: “I’m already hungry, want to eat earlier?”, she invited, but the other woman denied politely.

            “Don’t worry, Byulyi, I’ll be eating with Hyejin… unless you want to ask her.”, she supposed, but the other just denied.

            “Oh, no. I won’t stole Hyejin from you.”, she chuckled. “I will find someone to eat with me at the refectory.”

            “Oh!”, she made a sound as she seemed to remember something as soon as she noticed Byulyi getting ready to leave. “Yongsun will be eating by now. She always eats alone, you could have your meal with her.”, she suggested.

            As if it wasn’t the plan, Byulyi pretended to consider, smiling at Wheein and leaving with a “Yeah, I can do this, maybe”. That was the perfect excuse, because once she was with her meal in hands, in front of the table where Yongsun herself was sitting, she just said, “Oh, hello! Mind if I sit here?”, she asked to the other woman, who was eating while skipping on her cellphone, but immediately let the mobile to the side, offering the empty chair to her co-worker.

            “Of course!”, she was fast replying, but as soon as she said, suddenly she was back slightly awkward.

            “You don’t have to stop using you phone… I just thought that I could use you presence and not eat alone.”, Byulyi tried to ease Yongsun, which made her widen the eyes.

            “Oh, no… I would never.”, she chuckled slightly uncomfortable. “I don’t really like to use my cellphone while eating, but as long as I’m always eating by myself…”, she didn’t finished the phrase, but Byulyi could get that completely.

            “Well… Wheein told me you eat by this time… maybe I could stop by sometimes, so you won’t have to look at your cellphone all the time… you can look at me!”, she smiled, which seemed to cause an automatic reaction on Yongsun too, who mimicked the action.

            “Wheein… Hyejin too, they talk a lot about you.”, she commented. “They think you’re a cool older friend.”

            “They think you’re a responsible older friend… they talk about you too, sometimes I feel like I know you closely.”, she chuckled.

            “Well… I wouldn’t mind to let you.”, Yongsun said as she shrugged.

            “Hm… let me… let me what?”, Byulyi stammered, slightly confused, but at the same time, she felt her insides getting warmer as she wondered if the next answer would really be what she thought it would.

            “Letting you get closer. I mean, you really seem nice and a cool… not-older friend.”, she joked, since she was well aware of Byulyi’s age.

            Without a plan, Byulyi ended by eating all the following days with Yongsun. The initial curiosity became a real friendship somehow. She had small talks with all her colleagues at office, but the minutes she spent with Yongsun always kept inside her mind through the day.

            Yongsun liked tteokbokki, she wasn’t a fan of spicy food, but that wouldn’t be a rule on her favorite food. She would eat tteokbokki even if that were dark on spicy sauce.

            She liked mint chocolate and was found of moments in which she could just sit down on her floor while eating ice cream or any other candies. Byulyi proposed to eventually go to Yongsun’s place with a bag of ice creams just for them to eat on the afternoon when they were off work. She was laughing when she proposed that, but Yongsun was pretty neutral when she replied “Yeah, sure. I’m about to end my gym cycle in a couple of weeks, them I’ll be free to eat loosen, but just a little.”, she chuckled. That was when Byulyi figured out that Yongsun was a body healthy freak, but she would never leave some food she liked behind, so, in order to balance, she would have specific moments through diet to eat loosen.

            Yongsun was scared of horror stories, or anything in this thematic, yet, she enjoyed to consume those things. Byulyi figured that out once she was at Yongsun’s place, having a movie night, they were watching some sketchy horror movie, which was mostly funny than scary, but somehow that was freaking Yongsun out, to the point that after all of that, Byulyi had her fingers slightly painful from her grabbing.

            “Why didn’t you say you was scared of horror movies?”, Byulyi complained.

            “Oh… come on! I didn’t scream this time… so technically that makes this movie plain.”, she said, but her lips trembled while she tried to hold back her playful smile.

            “You put all the scream on grabbing my hand, that for sure.”, she pouted, making Yongsun walk over her to check her fingers. “Do you normally scream watching these movies?”

            “Just the scary ones.”

            “You’re always loud, Yongsun.”, Byulyi blurted out, not paying deep attention on her words, nor Yongsun’s reaction, since she was head down checking Byulyi’s fingers, massaging her knuckles in order to ease the pain.

            The simple phrase that made Yongsun frozen for brief moments before she just started to laugh loud, weirding Byulyi out for the rest of the whole time until the laugh to finally ease.

            Late, that same night, Byulyi was on her car, driving home, replaying the past hours with Yongsun in her mind. She was used to do that every time they were apart, always noticing how she was able to laugh alone just with the thoughts of Yongsun’s weird antics. The last thing she thought was about the woman dolphin laugh when she mentioned how loud she was in the current life. The reaction was too bigger than she expected, actually, it would be normal if Yongusn just got pissed, if not, just hit Byulyi slightly on the arm for being a brat.

            Instead of it, she laughed almost hysterical, hands covering and her skin as red as it could be. She laughed louder and harder every time Byulyi seemed more confused, until her laugh died down, only remaining the sassy expression, as if she knew something Byulyi didn’t.

            Weird- woman, Byulyi scoffed. By stopping on a red light, while drumming her fingers on the steering wheel, she suddenly stopped, just like Yongsun had once done when Byulyi mentioned how loud was she.

            “Oh… my…”, she mumbled numbly, felling her internal warmth rising in a totally different way as it normally would whenever Yongsun would give her a smile.

            Byulyi figured out whiles back from that moment that Yongsun was quite y and malicious woman. Whoever that seen Yongsun would never imagine the nasty things she usually said out of the blue. Whether it was on a regular basis, where she suddenly would blurt out a swearword by achieving, or not, something, or when Byulyi, Wheein and Hyejin and herself, were playing a innocent syllable game, where they should complete the sound with a full word, and somehow while the sound of “fu” for Wheein was similar with “funny” and for Hyejin it was likely to be “functional”, for Yongun it could only be “”.

            So it wasn’t that weird for Yongsun to find any malicious meaning behind Byulyi’s words. Weird was Byulyi being affected.

            But above all the random things Byulyi knew about Yongsun, getting to see her how worried she was on the normal basis was heartbroken to say the least. It was around 2am in a weekday, when Byulyi was awakened by her cellphone. She saw Yongsun’s nickname on the screen and immediately got worried.

            “Yong? Did something happened?”, she asked immediately as she picked the phone up. The answer did come fast, with Yongsun sobbing from the other side.

            “I don’t know what to do…”, she mumbled.

            “What happened?”, she asked again, already up, picking her clothes and trying to find her car keys.

            “What will happen when my parents die?... what will I do, Byulyi?”, she whined, her voice affected by the cry, which meant she was crying for a while before calling. Suddenly Byulyi stopped passing around.

            “

Please log in to read the full chapter