Oneshot

Convenience Store
Please log in to read the full chapter

“That’ll be 11.000 won.” 

 

If Yuna answers honestly, her night shift job at the convenience store isn’t terrible. Night time in Seoul is not as crowded but the store, conveniently located at the heart of the city, is never fully empty. Despite her dispassionate tone while attending customers, what matters most to Yuna is the pay.

 

Sometimes reality just – and working part time in a convenience store instead of a regular stable job is somehow not the worst thing.

 

The male customer pays her before leaving with a plastic bag of beers in hand. Yuna swiftly enters the 50 won in exchange for the plastic back to her cashier. She’d return to her daze, but the door has opened once more.

 

“Wel–” Yuna stops midway, when she sees a very tall woman stepping into the store. Quickly, she clears and greets her. “Welcome.”

 

Usually, Yuna isn’t someone who’d be taken off guard that easily. But the woman that just came is so tall that Yuna has to look up to see her pretty face. Even with heels, that woman is already tall with her perfect body proportions. Mind you, Yuna is already 170 cm tall. Her friends already considered her tall, but here’s someone who’s even taller than her. 

 

“A pack of Marlboro, please.” The woman speaks, breaking Yuna out of her thoughts.

 

“That’ll be 4500 won.” Yuna retrieves the pack of cigarettes the woman asks and gives it to her. Unknowingly, her hands flinched upon contact. Yuna murmurs a small embarrassed apology, before motioning the customer to scan the card in front.

 

Although the woman seems bothered about it, a small smirk appears on her face. Instead of scanning, she pulls out a couple of 50.000 won bills and hands them to Yuna. “Cash please…and the rest for the cute part timer.”

 

Yuna’s eyes widened upon the amount of money in her hands. Before she can say anything, the woman has already her heels and left the store.

 

“See you later, Choi Yuna.”

 

The woman’s attractive face and smirk lingers in her mind even a week after the meeting. Yuna finds herself thinking about the woman more often than preferred until she’s scolded by her manager. Eunha wasn’t mad– the cute and short manager could never be mad– and even if she did, Yuna would still see her as an adorable bunny. Eunha simply reminds her to focus, and Yuna agrees, wanting to get rid of the distracting thoughts and images as well.

 

It isn’t as easy as she thought though.

 

“Yah, Choi Yuna. I’ve been calling you for a minute now!”

 

Yuna blinks when the loud voice surges into her ears and her sight is filled with a slightly mad and frowning friend. She must’ve dozed off yet again. Groaning to herself, Yuna quickly apologizes to Eunbi. “Oh sorry.” 

 

“What’s up with you? Even Eunha unnie has been scolding you recently.” Eunbi asks, all while pointing at the kimbap she’s going to eat for lunch.

 

“3000 won.” Yuna quickly says, motioning Eunbi to scan her card, although the younger woman probably knew that already. “It’s nothing. I haven’t been sleeping well. Night shifts, you know.”

 

Eunbi quickly scans without needing Yuna to tell her. “As if your night shifts have ever bothered you this much.”

 

“Well maybe I’ve been getting bored lately.”

 

“Right, right. Don’t let Eunha unnie hear you or you’ll be dead.”

 

Yuna laughs while rolling her eyes, “She can’t reach me.”

 

Eunbi raises her eyebrows in a mischievous manner, “Oh you’re dead dead.”

 

Obviously, Yuna doesn’t want to tell Eunbi about her previous meeting with a pretty and tall stranger. She also doesn’t want to admit how attractive she was and how her visuals stuck and lingers in the back of her mind every now and then. It was an embarrassing confession that’ll surely push Eunbi to forever. So she simply shrugs at Eunbi, grateful enough that her friend bought her lie.

 

“You should stop eating that and actually get a proper dinner.” It’s Yuna’s turn to point out Eunbi’s terrible lifestyle choices.

 

Between the convenience store part-timer and the photography freelancer– somehow Yuna is the healthier one between them. At least Yuna actually gets proper and nutritious meals, unlike Eunbi.

 

“Can’t help it. Yerin has an event next week.” Eunbi simply says as if that’s the most normal reason ever.

 

Yuna can only sigh.

 

Eunbi has fallen into the charms of Jung Yerin, an idol slash entertainer. If Eunbi had actually used her hard-earned money for herself, she wouldn’t be here eating kimbap. She comes to every event to support her idol and makes a name for herself as Jung Yerin’s number one fansite. Yuna used to frown at her fangirling behavior, but after understanding that Eunbi is happy, she lets her do what she wants.

 

She wonders how the cold-hearted and intimidating Eunbi fell for sunshine and rainbows Jung Yerin.

 

But then again, Yuna’s no better. She did end up liking a random stranger last week.

 

And speaking of that random stranger.

 

Is Yuna hallucinating or is she there again?

 

“A pack of Marlboro, please.” 

 

When it’s not the dead of the night, Yuna can see the woman’s appearance more clearly now. She notices the fancy and luxurious brands of her outfits, long well-kept brown hair, and sunglasses with gold rims that hide her eyes. Yuna sees her smirk, stealing the breath out of her lungs. She doesn’t even register that she hasn’t welcomed this customer yet.

 

“4500 won–”

 

Once again, that woman hands over a 50,000 won bill directly to her hands. The second time she did it, you’d think Yuna would react quicker, yet she freezes instead, especially after seeing that the woman’s smirk has turned into a smile, filling Yuna’s body with warmth and butterflies.

 

“Thank you, Yuna-yah.” 

 

And with that, the woman leaves, leaving a bewildered Yuna with an equally shocked Eunbi standing at the side.

 

“Woah.” Eunbi breaks the silence, and eventually Yuna’s trance too.

 

Yuna then realizes that she was given not only cash but also the woman’s business card. Her name is written in pretty bold letters, ‘KIM SOJUNG’, with her business emails and phone number. Behind the card is a handwritten note that says ‘call me’ in cursive letters. 

 

“Woah,” Yuna echoes Eunbi’s reaction, eyes glued onto the card.

 

“Unnie, do you realize who she is?” Eunbi stops in front of her with hands flailing panicky to express her disbelief.

 

Yuna takes a glance at the card and stares at Eunbi again, “She’s Kim Sojung?”

 

“Yes! But– I mean–” Eunbi groans, exasperated, “She’s Kim Sojung! One of South Korea’s richest and the Nation's model!”

 

“Ah, that’s why she’s so tall–”

 

Eunbi stares at her, “That’s all you have to say?”

 

If Yuna can be honest, she’s still processing all this information. She has little interest in the entertainment world and celebrities, so she hadn’t heard of Kim Sojung up until now. With the enormous tip the model has given her and the flirty comments, Yuna drowns in her thoughts about how Kim Sojung is somehow interested in her. Oh, and that she may have a smoking addiction (who buys cigarettes that often?).

 

“Well, woah.” Yuna leaves it at that, pocketing the tip she has just received.

 

Eunbi slumps on the cash register and the check out desk, and Yuna has to remind her not to break anything, or else Eunha would be mad. Eunbi berates her for thinking that’s important when a whole Kim Sojung was just here. “You should definitely try to flirt back,” Eunbi finally says after a moment of silence.

 

“...Who, me?” Yuna blinks at the outrageous suggestion.

 

“She’s interested in you, that’s for sure.”

 

“You’re definitely reaching.”

 

“I’m definitely not,” Eunbi sighs, “she’s definitely checking you out.”

 

Blinking in disbelief once again, Yuna’s eyes trail down to her outfit– gray hoodie and the convenience store uniform vest– that’s definitely not considered hot or pretty by any means. “In this?”

 

Eunbi inhales, “If you hadn’t noticed…you froze for a full minute there.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“And Miss Kim Sojung was staring at you with all heart-eyes behind her sunglasses.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“As if she’s trying to undress you with her eyes.”

 

“Oh,” Now flustered, Yuna clears quickly. “That’s…embarrassing.”

 

“I’m more embarrassed for you,” Eunbi sighs again, shaking her head slowly. “You’re pretty you know? If I didn’t like a goddess already, I’d definitely be attracted to you.”

 

Yuna tries not to cringe at how Eunbi refers to Jung Yerin as a goddess and nods in appreciation instead, “Thanks Eunbi-yah,”

 

“That’s not a compliment.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I meant it as: You’re an idiot who doesn’t realize how pretty you are that even Kim Sojung is attracted to you.

 

Somehow though, Yuna still sees that as a compliment, just in a tsundere Hwang Eunbi way. Something’s quite off though…

 

“Why are you so insistent though?” Yuna points a knowing glare at Eunbi, watching how the woman stiffens suddenly.

 

“Dating her may mean you don’t need to work anymore…”

 

“And?”

 

Eunbi sighs, completely defeated. “Kim Sojung is Jung Yerin’s best friend.”

 

Yuna somehow guessed that Eunbi has an ulterior motive, and the fact it relates to Jung Yerin again is so predictable. She doesn’t take any offense to that, but laughs out loud instead in a playful mocking manner at the embarrassed woman. No matter how much Eunbi tries to shut her up, Yuna continues her teasing until her shift ends.

 

“Hwang Eunbi wants to use me to date Jung Yerin!” Yuna sing-songs so loudly when they step out of the convenience store that Eunbi is speeding so fast to shut Yuna up.

 

“SHUT UP! I never implied that!!!” Eunbi yells through her gritted teeth, cheeks red, hands reaching out to hit her terrible friend.

 

Eunbi didn’t catch Yuna in the end, after the latter points out the time and how her loud voice is disturbing the neighborhood– as if Yuna isn’t equally as loud– and gives up with a grumble. Eunbi swore that she’ll have her revenge and finally leaves while huffing, saying something how her roommate, Yewon, would scold her if she comes home late. Yuna laughs and waves her hands in adoration. Eunbi is cute and so fun to tease sometimes.

 

“Looks like you’re having fun.”

 

At the corner of her eyes is a familiar figure. Yuna widens her eyes at the sight of Kim Sojung herself, standing in front of her luxurious car. Suddenly, Yuna tenses while not knowing how to actually act when a famous person is standing right in front of her.

 

“Get in.” Sojung says with a tone filled with finality, and without her knowing, Yuna is already sitting on the passenger seat.

 

She blinks, finally realizing that she’s inside Kim Sojung’s car when the engine starts.

 

“What’s your address?”

 

“It’s– It’s the apartment down the road…just go straight.” Yuna quickly replies. Usually she wouldn’t be this nervous in front of pretty girls. But this woman has so much aura that her mere presence intimidates her. “Uh…Thanks for the tip earlier. Last week too. It’s a bit much though.”

 

The car ride is rather awkward, so Yuna tries her best to lift the mood (and her confidence too).

 

“Mhm. But I can definitely give you more and anything you want.”

 

Yuna’s breath hitches the moment Sojung’s sultry voice fills and echoes inside the car. There’s so much meaning and connotation to her words and Yuna can only think the dirty one. So, in a very Yuna manner, she asks what Sojung meant. “Like a sugar mommy?”

 

That somehow brings Sojung into fierce laughter. She was supposed to be acting as someone tough and confident, but Yuna’s interesting way of putting it makes her crack up. “Yes, Yuna. If you want that, of course.”

 

She laughs along with Sojung, knowing well that her comment is quite out of the place. Truthfully though, she doesn’t necessarily need a sugar mommy. Yes, she works part time at a convenience store, but what Yuna wants is a simple and comfortable life.

 

There’s also the factor in a sugar mommy-baby relationship that Yuna doesn’t want to think about now, not when she can see Sojung’s fair and toned legs at the corner of her vision. She couldn’t see how Sojung’s legs looked at the store since it’s out of her vision, and the surprise and awe is imminent in her face when she sees her long, toned, model legs. Of course, Yuna quickly diverts her attention elsewhere.It’d be awkward if she’s caught checking Sojung out.

 

“I’ll have to reject that, Kim Sojung-ssi. I’m not someone who desperately needs money…I appreciate the hefty tip, but I’m doing quite okay now.” Yuna flashes a smile, though her nerves are burning up with worry and tension. Did she mention her cheeks are also burning up right now? “Thank you for driving me home too.”

 

Unlike what she’d thought of as a nation-class supermodel, Sojung smiles at her politely. “I understand. And well…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“How about a girlfriend?” Sojung’s lips curve into a smirk again, delighted at how Yuna reacts quickly.

 

Red painted her cheeks at how forward and honest Sojung is. Yuna’s wide eyed and mouth agape, which are plastered with surprise, explains quite a lot. What makes Sojung smirks is how Yuna doesn’t object to her words. Just like how she knows her attraction to Yuna, Sojung knows how Yuna is attracted to her as well. So without waiting for her answer, Sojung smiled and bid her farewell.

 

“You have my number, Yuna-yah. Call me.” Sojung waves one last time, “We’ll be seeing each other more in the future.”

 

And with that, Kim Sojung drives away.



***



The view of her silent mansion welcoming her after a long day is relieving. Sojung strides through the familiar hallway with a satisfied smile. 

 

The only one to blame for her joyous mood is Choi Yuna.

 

Never did she think that she’d find the prettiest woman to ever grace the world in a convenience store. Sojung was slightly drunk the first time she visited for a cigarette break, but her eyes will never fool her. Yuna is beautiful, and even more so when she’s sober. Sojung even went out of her way to visit the second time to see Yuna in a clearer view. She even recklessly gave her a total of 150,000 won in both visits, business card, personal phone number, and a personal ride home.

 

With Yuna in mind, Sojung enters her bedroom, ignoring the loud and shrill voice of her best friend.

 

“Yah Kim Sojung!” Yerin angrily whines after Sojung arrives and practically slumps her whole body on her king-size bed, just beside Yerin’s figure. Sojung hasn’t seen Yerin in a week, perhaps it’s her busy schedule as an idol.

 

“You ditched me in the bar last week!” Yerin lightly kicks Sojung’s limp body, pouting when the woman doesn’t budge. “Do you know how terrible it’d be if someone recognized me?”

 

“It surely will. Famous idol Jung Yerin crying on the streets drunk because of her god-awful pathetic crush on her fan.” Sojung kicks back, slightly harder, as her face turns into a fierce growl.

 

Yerin doesn’t deny that accusation, but she’s still ticked off when Sojung left her and went home alone. “-- And it’s not a pathetic crush!”

 

Sojung rolls her eyes. “The convenience store is more entertaining than your whinings.”

 

“Yah, you ditched me for a convenience store?!” Yerin fakes offense, a tone that Sojung knows well not to interpret as anger. “Wow you must have found a hot girl or someone to ignore Yennie…”

 

Sojung blinks, because Yerin’s baseless accusations are actually true. A smile forms on her lips with a giggle threatening to escape– and Yerin immediately knows what’s up.

 

“No way. Kim Sojung is finally getting laid!” Yerin cheers, because even if she’s upset that Sojung ditched her, Yerin is still that best friend that wants the best for Sojung. “So, did you do it? In a convenience store?”

 

“What a ert.” Sojung laughs, but denies it quickly. 

 

“A number, at least?”

 

“I know her name, her job, and where she lives.” Sojung answers. “I gave her my number though, who knows if she’ll contact me.”

 

If Yerin doesn’t know any better, she’d think that Sojung may be a stalker. Anyone would do, actually.

 

“Hm. Are you serious about this though?”

<
Please log in to read the full chapter