Ch 1

Summer

 

 

 

 

I wake up early as usual.

 

I reached out my hand to turn off my alarm, which showed that it was still 4 in the morning, so i remained silent on my bed, exhaled a long breath.

 

I felt so tired and sleepy.

 

Having parents didn't have much influence in my life, except in the worst parts. They were precisely a bad memory that I had always wanted to bury down to the core of the earth.

 

I'd survived since years ago, and always did everything on my own. It was quite tiring to live like that, but it was fine. Because as long as I still could breathe, continue my studies, and able to eat. Besides that, nothing else matter.

 

Everything had been difficult since the beginning, so there was nothing surprising anymore.

 

It started when my mom ran away and got married again. She left me alone with Dad at home. And not too long after that dad also ran away from the police and left me alone at home when I was 13 years old.

 

Since that time, i had to live alone and worked my off for the last 3 years to survive by myself.

 

The police still couldn't find Dad and finally sent me to an orphanage.

 

Life in orphanage was really bad.

 

I decided to talk with the head of the orphanage to let me out of the orphanage. I was always mocked and bullied by the kids. And after trying to convince few times. They finally agreed. They would allow to leave if i already had a job, and a decent place to live.

 

As i thought so, living independently didn't feel that bad.

 

I stretched my hands, looking for my bag while still laying down on my messy bed. I felt my phone vibrated beside me, so i picked it up hurriedly.

 

"Hey." I answered and my voice were cracked.

 

"You just woke up? I thought you were dead. You didn't contact me during the weekend, I thought I was forgotten." Stacey whined at the phone.

 

She sounded a little annoyed.

 

I laughed after hearing her whining.

 

Stacey was a close friend of mine in campus. She wasn't too smart, but was very diligent. She did not take the same majors as me, instead took medical faculty.

 

Her boyfriend; Jimin loved her very much. The three of us often met on campus and chat. They were my one and only little family that i had in my life.

 

"You have to remember that you have class at 8 in the morning. Or you will lose your diploma if you’re late. " She rattled on the phone.

 

I twisted my eyes after hearing her chatter.

 

"I don't think I will ever listen to mom’s babble during my life. But, I should have thought there would always be a replacement. " I on the phone.

 

She laughed after hearing my sarcasm. "You're ridiculous, but I love you. See you on Campus. " She replied.

 

I replied an okay, then hung up the phone immediately.

 

I got up from my bed and reached for my towel to take a shower. I brushed my teeth and then returned from the bathroom to prepare my breakfast.

 

When I opened my refrigerator and kitchen cupboard, I realized that I had forgotten to buy food supplies for this month. I growled annoyed then took out a box of my yogurt from my refrigerator onto the table, then walked back to shower.

 

I only studied for 3 hours last night and it truly was not enough. I only manage to do the assignment and read a few old materials. This morning I didn't even feel so fresh after waking up, because I only slept for 1 hour. My body felt heavy as if I had ride a rollercoaster all night. And now I felt nauseous and thirsty.

 

After i finished took a shower, i wore my torn blue jeans jacket and my favorite black T-shirt from my closet. I took out my beloved black leggings and then took out my sneakers on the shoe rack.

 

I came out a little in a hurry then slammed the door of my apartment.

 

I ran towards the elevator quickly as I heard the elevator's bell closing. So before the elevator door closed, I ran to the elevator door and clamped my arm between the two doors of the elevator like some japanese horror films that usually appeared on the apartment elevator, preventing them from being closed.

 

I could feel pain around my left arm. But it worked, the elevator was opened again.

 

I went straight into it without looking around me. When I was looking at my watch, it was already 7:30. So, I sighed, hoping that i wouldn't need to wait 30 minutes for the bus passing by the halt.

 

"Can I help you with anything, angel?"

 

My body jerked slightly when I heard a low and husky voice went straight to my eardrum.

 

I looked up then finally realized the presence of a tall handsome man who was standing beside me inside the elevator. He smiled a little while looking sideways to see my face.

 

 

There was no sign of discomfort coming from him. He looked amazing.

 

He had a piercing on his left eyebrow and looked y with a slightly messy hair. His face was very handsome and he was really charming. His narrow eyes were intimidating but at the same time he looked sweet.

 

And what did he call me again? ‘Angel’?

 

I chuckled while tidying up the items in my bag after looking at him in admiration. He really looked like a package of problem. Men were attractive, but adding one to my life list still wouldn't be able to settle my bills.

 

"I'm fine."

 

I replied slowly then looking straight ahead while waiting for the elevator's door to open.

 

The man grinned at me, nodding at my answer.

 

When we were silent in the elevator, he still kept looking at me beside him. I was a little nervous and embarrassed, but I continued to force myself not to turn around and not to give a strange response.

 

When the elevator door opened; I internally cheered, then walked quickly to the lobby of the apartment to go to the bus stop.

 

The security guard opened the door for me as i walked out. I nodded before leaving as he smiled warmly to me.

 

Suddenly a low familiar voice entered my eardrum again made me looked back, found that handsome man standing in front of the receptionist table while staring at me.

 

"Do you want a ride, angel?" his voice sounds so pleasant to hear as he asked me from a far. But, i shook my head while smiling.

 

"No, thank you. I have to go to somewhere far away." I rejected. With a lie.

 

He frowned but still smiling. "No problem, angel. I can take you wherever you want. " He replied again as he walked towards me.

 

Oh. He was getting it to me. "No, thank you. I have to leave now, bye.” I said as i saw my bus stopped.

 

"What's your name?" He asked while standing near with the lobby's door.

 

"I'm late." I ran, waving without turning and then entering the bus as lightning, before the bus left the halt.

 

He gave me a wink from a far and said something to me. I laughed while shaking my head on the bus as i saw him. To be honest, I couldn't hear what he said, but whatever it was, it looked quite cute. He was really handsome.

 

When I finally arrived at campus. I was almost late. Prof Johan was already on my way to my class.

 

Luckily I was faster than him. So I immediately ran like a horse and then immediately took the side of the seat that was left in the classroom. Unfortunately, the remaining bench left was the back row bench.

 

I put my bag on the table, then sat neatly to prepare myself in the classroom while cursing myself as i was late.

 

This is going to be a long day.

 

I immediately took out my books and laptop on the table along with my pencil box. Prof Johan entered the class, then immediately opened his laptop, preparing to start the class as usual.

 

My hands were never separated from my notes and my eyes were never switched from the slides presentation on the whiteboard.

 

Prof Johan explained the material in great detail, but the giggles of a bunch of girls behind me belated his voice. I was a little annoyed.

 

In the end, I was busy cursing myself in my mind as the class going. I could hear clearly all the chatter from a bunch of the girls behind me. It really felt like a market inside a campus.

 

When Prof Johan stood up and ended the class. He came out really quick from the class, then the whole class started to get noisy.

 

Everyone scattered for the first break. I remained silent on my desk while lowering my head on the table. My head felt like it will soon about to explode in seconds. There was not a single of material that went into my head, everything was going too fast and the people in my back was louder than the monkeys.

 

Even when i went to deliberately made my typing noisy on my laptop to divert my listening, it still couldn't beat all the girls' voice behind my back. 

 

When my head was really about to explode, I could feel a shadow walking. I felt a load came sitting beside me so i finally raised my head, remained silent while tidying up some of my items on the table.

 

Stacey looked at me with a ridiculous smile. "You look like you  just aged 50 years, what happen to you?" Stacey laughed as she was looking at my wry face.

 

"I only eat one pack of yogurt this morning. Don’t touch me." I replied while putting on my ugly face.

 

She widened her eyes at me irritably. "You are trying to kill yourself!" her words were hanging because i cut her off before she talked more.

 

“Don’t nag. I need a rest.” I replied as i laid down my head on the table being weak.

 

Stacey rolled her eyes at me.

 

"Then, what the heck are you doing? C’mon, let's buy bread now. Or you'll grow thin." She replied while pulling my hands up.

 

"Ugh, Prof Brian will soon enter. Break will be finished in 5 minutes. " I whined.

 

She stoned for a moment in consider, but then moved again.

 

"Then I'll go buy it for you." Stacey replied, nodding her head. "I'm going to get angry if you don't eat." She demand.

 

"Ugh, stace. No..."I said hanging weakly.

 

"Wait here and don't go anywhere." Stacey gave me a warning of her yellow card then walked out of my class.

 

As i saw her running out from my class, i started to feel bad. This felt really uncomfortable as she kept doing everything for me. My purpose was to never be a burden to anyone. But, here was stacey ran like an errand girl for my breakfast.

 

But, I really didn't want to argue with her right now, i was too hungry that i didn’t have the power to do it.

 

After waiting a little longer, and Stacey hadn’t come back to my class to bring my bread. I finally lowered my head while crushing my head on the table. The class were very noisy so I kept my body cell dead like corpse.

 

When i felt the class begin to be quiet, a shadow came sitting next to me. I thought it was Stacey, because I could feel a noise of a packet of bread sticking to my head.

 

When i looked straight ahead and found that Prof Brian had walked into the class. I immediately found myself wide awake and frowned.

 

If Prof Brian came, then it'd be impossible for stacey chould be here. I wondered if i started hallucinating. 

 

"Your bread."

 

Said someone beside me, made me slightly jerked a little.

 

I looked aside as a low familiar voice entered my eardrum and a pair of sharp eyes was staring down at me.

 

He was holding onto both a cold drink and bread in his hand. I opened my eyes wide when he sticked the bread right on my cheek casually while still staring at me relaxed.

 

I bet i looked stupid because i was too shocked by his presence. He was the man that i met in the elevator this morning!

 

I frowned.

 

"Why are you here?" I asked confused. Wondering if all this time we were studying in the same campus. And probably, the same class.

 

He grinned as he was staring at me. He was pushing the bread to my desk as he talked.

 

"She handed this to me. Enjoy it. " He teased while winking at me.

 

I see. So, he knew exactly how attractive he’s.

 

".. And you are?" I asked as i flinched a little, but tried not to show a sign that i actually felt a little nervous around him.

 

This man came with a piercing, a y look from his eyes, and he was wearing a black devil jacket.

 

Is he in mafia. Why does he dress like this in campus?

 

He cleared his throat before he spoke.

 

"My name is Taehyung. Call me taehyung." he said as if he was going through my confused mind.

 

I was immediately stunned when I heard his name.

 

Kim taehyung.

 

People said he’s a bad news.

 

Eventhough i didn't clearly know what was up with his reputation. Now that he’s around me, i felt like i just wanted to run away from him.

 

I didn’t like being a center of attention, people like him usually got mixed in with problems, and taehyung seemed to be the one who attracted many. 

 

I could hear the girls at my back were screaming loud about him when he sat beside me. I felt like wanting to hide in a hole.

 

I prayed. Hoping he would quickly leave the bench after giving my bread. However, he seemed like wasn’t going to move an inch from my desk. So, i was starting to questioning Jessie’s presence, my seat mate.

 

Where on earth is Jessie?, My heart wondered.

 

"Do you live in that apartment?" He asked me out of the blue in a friendly tone.

 

I could feel that he was trying to read my mind and my gesture. He might have realized that I was actually feeling uncomfortable by his presence.

 

He raised his brows while waiting for my answer then looked at my note that was wide open on the table. He suddenly grinned after looking at my notes, so without realizing I smiled too.

 

"Yes. I live there. And you? " I asked back, trying to be friendly as much as possible, but still keeping my distance.

 

"No, but the apartment owner is my acquaintance." He replied shortly.

 

He is a friend of the rich!

 

I nodded at his response, trying hard to ignore his presence beside me as much as possible.

 

Somehow. 

 

During the class. Taehyung kept staring at me nonstop. His gaze was too disturbing and it made me couldn't focus in the class. He probably could shoot a laser just from his gaze. 

 

I turned my head at him. 

 

"My name is Liz. Thank you for the food, sorry for the trouble. " I said sincere.

 

"You're welcome." He smiled and replied shortly.

 

Our conversation ended real quick. So I continued writing my notes But, taehyung's eyes were still on me and i started to feel.. like want to pee. What's up with him? 

 

I put my pen on the table then turned my head looking at him.

 

"Do you need something from me?" I asked him real quick.

 

He chuckled. "Why angel?" He asked back.

 

I furrowed my forehead confused but still smiled. "don't you have to go back to your seat? this one is Jessie's chair. " I replied.

 

He frowned pretending to be confused. "Jessie sat in the back.. so.. i guess we exchanged seat?" He replied again but his tone was like teasing me.

 

I remained silent as he stared at me playfully.

 

Giving up getting rid of him as he seemed like didn’t want to move an inch. I turned my attention away back to Prof Brian before i'm getting left behind by the lesson. 

 

He his lips as he was staring at me.

 

"You don't like me." He said while grinning at me.

 

Taehyung literally said it as if he was having fun. He didn't look upset at all with the idea that i was annoyed by him. I sighed and shook my head before giving him a smile. His eyes suddenly sparkled when he found me smiling. 

 

"Ah, you smiled a lot." He said straightforward. "You have a beautiful smile, angel." He replied again and smiled.

 

He was such a good tease and a good praiser too. I would fall for it if i were rich. "Thank you." I replied but did not respond to him again.

 

When its finally the time for lunch break, the girls immediately surrounded Taehyung on our bench as quick as hyenas.

 

They acted so flirty towards Taehyung as if they were hunting an animal. 

 

I didn't want to bother so I packed up all my belongings without looking back and then left the classroom as fast as horse to the cafeteria.

 

Stacey immediately hugged me when she found me standing in the middle of crowd in cafetaria like a lost kid. She pulled me to their chair where jimin was sitting.

 

I immediately put my bag on the table and smiled back at Jimin who was also sitting next to Stacey.

 

The couple looked as sweet as ever.

 

"You look old." Jimin said as he was laughing at my face.

 

I must had been looked 50 years age older than i had to be.

 

I sneered. "The girls, problems, and fatigue. Today a lot of things happen. " I replied.

 

Stacey giggled. "You have to get used to campus life." she said while she ate her salad.

 

I didn't answer back, busy looking for my envelope in my bag. I found the envelope and took the money from it, i immediately stood to order food.

 

It was the money i had left from my last month's salary, since i worked part time in a cafe. The salary wasn't that much, but it was enough to cover all my apartement bills and such.

 

When I was busy ordering food, I could feel my cellphone vibrating in my pocket. I raised it while waiting for the queue. When I saw my cellphone screen, it turned out to be a call from my manager where I worked. I quickly picked up the call and brought it to my ear.

 

"Hello?" I said.

 

"Hey, liz. There is something I want to talk about. " He replied to the point on the phone.

 

His voice sounded very excited even though he had tried to cover it up from me. I cursed myself again this time, hoping this wasn't a sign I was getting fired. I had been late coming to work 5 times, but I still hope no one noticed. I was wrong. 

 

"You're fired, liz. I'm sorry. We just got a much better replacement for you. " He replied again and i could feel his smirk from the phone.

 

That damn manager had always been so excited to fired me.

 

"James, can't you just give me one more chance? I really need this job. One chance and i will never be late again. " I said desperately.

 

"No, we are full here, liz. I'm sorry. " He replied again without even giving me chance to explain more.

 

As there were a pause for 10 seconds between us. James coughed.

 

"I'll close the phone, its been nice to work with you Liz. Bye. " He said then immediately hung up.

 

I put my cellphone back in my pocket in despair.

 

I just lost my job. Which means my monthly saving will decrease from now on. The money I got from last month’s salary will not last long.

 

Real bad.

 

"Are you okay?" Stacey asked, smiling at me, but her face was worried when she saw my dim face as i was approaching the table.

 

"I just got fired." I replied weakly.

 

"What.. have you done?" Stacey frowned, annoyed by the news.

 

"I guess the manager really wanted to bring his relative to work there, I've been coming late 5 times afterall." I whimpered from the moment I started eating my french fries.

 

Stacey furrowed her nose in disgust. "Well, then it's good for you come out. Too much nepotism there, they don't deserve you." She replied again while eating her salad.

 

Jimin cleared his throat. "So, are you looking for a new job?" He asked me.

 

"Of course. I need money. " I replied again.

 

Stacey smiled brightly at me. "Jimin has a few recommendations for you, he might be able to help you!" She said to me trying to light up the mood.

 

Jimin lowered his head before looking at me straight. He was like making sure if he was really going to say this to me. So, he swallowed his food before staring at me to talk.

 

"The raid." He replied shortly.

 

He mentioned the place's name as if i would have known about that place. But, i didn't really know that place at all. Never heard about it before.

 

"What is that?" I asked, confused.

 

Jimin did not continue, so Stacey looked at him dearly and smiled stiffly at me.

 

"It's a club.."

 

Said Stacey softly. And it was very small and careful.

 

But i heard it. So, i was stunned for a second.

 

"Me? Club? Are you both sane? "I said sarcastically.

 

Stacey put on her pleading face to me. "Please listen to him first." She replied again while looking at Jimin and me in turn.

 

I looked at Jimin and Stacey unbelievable. "Explain me. I wonder what on earh is going on with your head both. I have never even gone to the club when i'm doing fine, and you think I'd wanted to work there? " I taunt.

 

"Min is the owner of the club, he is my acquaintance and he says he is looking for some new employees as bar attendants. He was looking for a y, hot and beautiful servant to work at the bar. I thought you might want to work there for a while. "Jimin explained in length.

 

I twisted my eyes in annoyance. "Have you ever seen me as a ? I don't even have y clothes in my closet. What are you up to? ” My anger began to boiled up because of their stupid ideas.

 

I didn't want to work at club. It's too dangerous. And what's more I was always trying not to be close with those things. It was like my nightmare. I never ever imagined myself spending the rest of my time working in there.

 

As i felt my head dizzy. I crunched my head hard. "Tell me you have a salon or barber shop so I can work in there. I beg you. Besides club. I really didn't want to work there. " I replied coldly.

 

Stacey touched my hand slowly while looking at me gently. "We will protect you and we will often go hangout there! This is a great opportunity, Jimin can tell Min at least to interview you. The fee is quite big, I don't think you need to think about money anymore if you've worked there." she convinced.

 

"You two sound like Adam and Eve who are persuading me to eat forbidden fruit." I said sarcastically.

 

Stacey rolled her eyes. "You should think about it, liz. And you don't believe in God anyway!"

 

"Impossible." I nodded without doubt. There was no way i would work in a club.

 

Stacey looked at me softly. "You know we could watch over you while you are working. And Jimin is Min's friend, and we will go to the club just as much too. So, you will not often be lonely. " Stacey replied.

 

I shook my head full of doubts. I was sure I had shown my sour expression that I couldn't hide. "What are you two doing at the club anyway?" I asked curiously.

 

Jimin raised his shoulders. "I've always won my bets in there. We come to make money by betting. Apart from that there is nothing. " Jimin explained.

 

He was such a weird man to make money by betting. I was starting to get headaches. 

 

"I'll think about it." I said shortly while continued eating my french fries.

 

I really didn't want to continue this conversation, so I immediately cut it off and continued eating.

 

I never liked clubs and such things related to that. Like drugs and fights. I didn't want to get close with any of things that reminded me of my past.

 

I always tried to get myself out of it most of the time and never i wanted to do the opposite.

 

When I returned to the class, I had not seen Taehyung beside my seat and Jessie was back to front. I sighed with relief, then sat back in my chair.

 

It was truly had been a long day.

 

I just lost my job and was still not even sure about what to eat tomorrow.

 

I was feeling even more doubtful if I could pay for my apartment bills next month. 

 

If i worked in a club.. Would that fix everything.. Or would it make things worse..? 

 

oh my god,

 

I rubbed my face roughly while tidying my things into my bag.