Chapter 12

Don't Let Me Let You Go

 

Wheein, who was waiting outside for Byul, was starting to get worried. She told herself that if Byul didn't come back in two minutes, she would go in and search for her. But Wheein didn't need to go inside, as, in the middle of that thought, Byul had literally thrown herself inside the car and strongly shut the door, making it tremble. She threw her cellphone on Wheein's lap and started the car.

 

Wheein was confused. "Unnie? Are you okay?"

 

"Wheein, check my phone. Did someone text me already?!"

 

Wheein looked down at Byul's phone in her lap. As she turned it on, it tinged with a notification. "Yeah, you have a message from... Seulgi?" Wheein frowned. "Did you reconnect with your sisters?"

 

Byul shook her head no. "That's Seulgi from work. She tracks people. She was the one who helped me track Yongsun the other day."

 

Byul then started panicking suddenly. Her breaths came out short and ragged as she felt a pain in her chest. All of this was her fault. If only she hadn't gotten the job at the association. If only she had done it properly, at least, none of this would've hapenned. It seemed like she could never protect the people that mattered to her.

 

Wheein's comforting hand on her back helped bring her back to reality.

 

"Unnie, calm down. Breathe." 

 

Eventually, Byul's breathing slowed down and she managed to remember what she had to do. 

 

"Wheein, in that text, there's an address. I want you to put that on google maps."

 

"Wait, but what's going on? What happened with the guy?"

 

"We don't have time! Just do this first!"

 

Wheein quickly did what Byul had asked.

 

Byul cursed when she glanced at the phone. Yongsun was 15 minutes away.

 

"Unnie, will you tell me what happened now?" Wheein asked cautiously, taking her out from her thoughts.

 

"They have Yongsun." Byul answered, before taking off.

 

Wheein just stared into space, processing Byul's words.

 

She recovered after a few seconds. "What do you mean, they have Yongsun? Isn't she at university? Who is 'they'?"

 

"The hunters. They got her."

 

Wheein didn't ask anymore questions, but just sat there in shock. Yongsun had been... hunt? How? Why? She'd be fine, right?

 

The tense silence was only interrupted by Byul's phone. "Speed limit is 60 km/hr. Slow down."

 

They sped through an intersection on a yellow light.

 

"Slow down."

 

Byul ignored it and swerved through the traffic, earning various obscenities to be yelled at her from other drivers.

 

"Speed limit is 60 km/hr. Slow dow-"

 

"Wheein, turn that ing thing off!"

 

Wheein snapped out of it and quickly muted the phone. Then she called Hyejin to update her.

 

Byul didn't pay any attention to their conversation as she drove as fast as she could. They passed a couple of yellow lights and recklessly sped through suburbian neighbourhoods. Wheein was slammed againts the car's door more than once and even almost fell on Byul another time. The address was fifteen minutes away, but with the way Byul was driving, they would make it there in less than ten.

 

"Unnie, Hyejin said she'd call the Vampire's League for help. She said that when we get there we should wait for them."

 

"There's no time for waiting, Wheein. Yongsun's in danger."

 

"But it's dangerous for us too! What are we going to do us two againts god knows how many hunters?!"

 

Byul didn't answer and just focused on getting there. After a moment, they arrived at an average looking house in an average looking residential area. Byul unbuckled her seatbelt and took her gun out of her belt.

 

"I'm going too." Wheein said.

 

"No, you're staying here."

 

"I promised Yongsun unnie that I would protect you."

 

"I don't care. You're not going." 

 

They stared at each other with determination before Wheein unbuckled her seatbelt and opened her door, defiantly setting a foot outside the car.

 

"You can't stop me from going."

 

Byul sighed and gave up. "Alright, but if it gets too dangerous and I tell you to escape, you will run, understand?"

 

"I make no promises."

 

"Wheein, you don't even know how to use a gun, so you will obey everything I say."

 

"But I can use a gun! I learnt it with Yongsun during training."

 

Byul was a little surprised and proud, honestly, but now was not the time for that. She quickly handed Wheein an extra gun she always kept in her car and they both got out of the car.

 

"Okay, Wheein. We're going to enter calmly, okay? Through the back door."

 

"Alright. We can do this."

 

As expected, the back door of the house was unlocked and they entered straight into the living room. There was no sign of life, until they heard a noise coming from upstairs. They quietly climbed up the stairs. Byul peeked into the closest bedroom.

 

Inside, there were three hunters surrounding a table. Byul recognized them as the rookies who'd been all over her during the welcoming party. Suddenly, one of them turned his head towards the door, as if he had sense her prescence. Byul quickly hid back in the hallway, pushing Wheein back too.

 

Wheein tried asking what had happened, but since they couldn't talk, or they'd be discorvered, they just ended up making weird faces at each other, trying to comunicate telepathically.

 

It half worked, as Wheein seemed to understand that they had to keep hiding. After a while, Byul peeked inside again.

 

Now, there was only one hunter surrounding the table, as the other two were on the other side of the room, getting latex gloves from a drawer and putting them on. She could finally see the person that was on that table. It really was Yongsun. Thankfully, she wasn't dead. But she seemed to be drugged, like Hajoon said she would be. Her glassy eyes scanned the room out of focus, and she didn't seem to be able to move. Byul also noticed that she was in her vampire form. Her fangs slightly stuck out from , and her eyes were... red? Byul had never seen them that color before, but then again, the only time she saw Yongsun in her vampire form, it had been really dark.

 

Seeing that Yongsun was alive and in one piece, Byul calmed down somewhat and started racking her brain on ways how to rescue her, but she didn't know what to do. She could shoot the hunters from here, get Yongsun, and run away, but she didn't want to kill the hunters. They were innocent in some way. They were just doing what they thought was best. 

 

She glanced inside once again. A hunter was forcefully opening Yongsun's mouth and measuring her fangs with measuring tape. Byul knew this was routine. The size of the fang determined its price, and whether or not it was worth it getting extracted. If it was worth it, fangs were pulled out and weighted. If they were heavy, the price increased even more. 

 

Byul frowned as she saw the guy pull on Yongsun's fang, a tear roll out of Yongsun's eye. , there was no time to get a plan. Byul singnaled for Wheein to wait for her outside, and thankfully Wheein understood and this time they didn't have to argue about it. Then Byul recklessly walked into the room. The three hunters turned towards her.

 

"Byulyi-sunbaenim? Why are you here? How'd you get in?"

 

"I, uh, Hajoon told me to come check out this vampire." Byul quickly made up a lie, pointing to Yongsun. "The back door was open, so I just let myself in."

 

If they didn't believe her, it didn't show.

 

"Actually, why do you have her- I mean it- here instead than in the vampire association. You could get kicked out. Hajoon would never risk that." Byul suddenly realized something, frowning. "Hajoon didn't tell you to bring her here, did he?"

 

One of them chuckled. "Well, he didn't tell you to come here either, did he?"

 

"You were really going to sell her and keep the money." Byul said, ignoring his question. "For how long have you been stealing from the association?"

 

"None of your bussiness." 

 

Two of the hunters pointed their guns at her, and Byul quickly did the same. She could hear Wheein shuffling outside the room, as if she were going to come in at any moment. Byul hoped that she would wait a little more, and that the hunters wouldn't hear her.

 

"When Irene gets ahold of you, you'll wish you were never born."

 

"She won't do anything, because you won't tell her." They said through gritted teeth, getting closer to Byul. They stopped walking when they were right in front of her.

 

Byul lowered her gun, giggling.

 

"Gosh, kids these days are so disrespectful to their seniors. What do you think you're doing?"

 

They gripped their guns tighter, surprised and confused by Byul's sudden change of mood and a little creeped out by her smile, but they decided to not question it and not drag this out any longer.

 

"Let's just get rid of her." They whispered amongst themselves.

 

Byul took advantage of that moment when they lowered their guards to kick the gun out of one of the hunter's hand, and then grabbed him as a hostage, pointing her gun to his temple.

 

"I'm not the number one hunter in Korea for nothing." she said. "Drop your guns and get out of here before I change my mind and shoot this guy."

 

They hesitated a little, but didn't move. "So what? This vampire is worth more than him. Go ahead and shoot him. We'll kill you after, anyway." 

 

Byul was dumbfounded by their cruelty to their own companion, and they quickly took that chance to shoot her, but she used the guy she was holding as a shield, so he got the shot instead and fell to the floor, blood flowing from his chest.

 

Everything just turned into chaos. Byul saw Wheein enter the room to help her at some point, but then it all turned into a blurred confusion of people running around and bullets zipping through the room. No one even knew who they were shooting, or who was shooting them.

 

Suddenly, Byul felt a sharp gust of pain in her stomach, and fell to the floor. Her whole body felt like it was on fire, and that's when she realized, , I got shot. 

 

After what felt like an eternity, she could barely realize that Wheein was next to her. She sighed, relieved. The fight must have ended, and Wheein was okay.

 

"Unnie, stay awake! Hyejin and the others should be here any moment!" Wheein sobbed loudly.

 

Byulyi nodded absentmindedly, and turned to look around the room. Yongsun was safe, but passed out, on the table. It looked like the drugs had finally taken their full effect on her. The three hunters were on the floor, bleeding from multiple places in their bodies.

 

"You did a good job, Wheeinie. Took them all out by yourself even though you could barely fight a couple days ago. I'm proud." she said, forcing out a smile, which came to be more like a grimace from the pain.

 

"Shut up! I told you we should've waited for help before barging in here! Why are you always so stupid! That's why you get hurt all the time!"

 

Byul chuckled and kept her cool, trying to stop Wheein from panicking any further. "You sound like Yongsun. Is this what she taught you back then? To be annoying?"

 

Wheein sighed in frustration, tears flowing from her eyes.

 

Just then, as multiple people barged into the room, who she assumed to be Hyejin and the Vampire League people, Byul felt the strength leave her body, and she passed out.

 


A/N: 

I'm so sorry for not updating in so long (again)! I hope y'all will still stick around for the end of the story, though. I won't say I'm going to update regularly anymore since life has gotten a bit difficult, but I do promise that I will finish this story eventually. Writing has been fun, and I love reading your comments too.