CHAPTER 8: Trainwreck of What the fu- and Holyshh-

Do you remember?
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: this isn't late, it's still feb 14 somewhere in the world okay? anyway... i bawled my eyes out on MAMAMOOinMNL instead of beta reading this so haha... enjoy... i guess... (also if anyone asks, this is a comedic sitcom in prose at this point- i have given up on trying to be cohesive every time, have whatever this is)

 



The GLORIOUS ONE WEEK –technically just five days– OF FAIR HAS ARRIVED. Our quartet and their batch have been crawling- crying- sweating- bleeding- for a week straight to master their routine for the Cheerdance Competition.

 

Speaking of such a competition, it will take place in the morning of the last day of the fair. Giving our beloved group of roundy- reckless- foolish teenagers a LOT of time to be… teenagers. Also giving our two protagonists enough time to be the most annoyingly cringeworthy, cavity-inducing, and painstakingly in denial pining high schoolers in front of their crush before the fifth day.

 

So what chaos happened? What did the Hwasun Operations do this time? What did the Juniors and Sophomores cause? Oh the thrill of it all. Doesn’t it get you giddy, how they are already nearing the end of their school year? Only for them to remember later that the fourth quarter is far from over and is notorious to be the longest and most gruesome quarter ever.

 

Enough chit-chat let’s get to the mess. That is, day one of their school’s week-long-fair anniversary blah blah names of events blah blah.

 

The first day, as no one can probably tell, was calm. If you consider Wheein –the beloved ace– becoming the personal errand man of the batch just so she does not get chased or jailed or whatever the mean and salty sophomores were scheming.

 

But being busy does not mean she was not having fun. In fact, she already spent her tickets and stole Yongsun and Byulyi’s to play on the inflatables with Hyejin (multiple times). The first inflatable was giving “American ninja warrior meets the biggest loser but is also in a love triangle with inflatables made for teenagers that are not ninjas nor big losers.” (Just plain losers)

 

In other words the first inflatable was no ordinary one.

 

It had a jungle theme wherein you may get lost or hit until you bounce everywhere like a helpless pinball by the inflated trees. It also had a climbing part to test your core strength or the patience of the marshals and help your weak body get through the suffering of climbing a two meter high wall.

 

Wheein was able to do it though. As for Hyejin, well, she kinda did after saying no and death glaring at the marshall insisting she needed help. After said wall climbing there is a slide that will test your adrenaline rush because it did not have the most friendly slope.

 

Most people that tried this inflatable challenge thing did not slide with grace. They tumbled pathetically like logs.

 

But were the ace and her bestie, the batches baby duo- were they an exception?

 

Oh no. No they were not. Grace was gone and the two best friends that planned to go slide together pathetically rolled like logs –screaming as if two meters was too high– and crashed at the inflatable wall colliding like the logs they were.

 

No one got hurt because the adrenaline was too much. They were having so much fun they didn’t notice Wheein’s face was on Hyejin’s armpit and their legs were tangled like a mess. Other than having fun, they were also told to leave and not get hit by other students sliding like logs on the whopping 2 meter straight-down looking slide.

 

They were all laughters and all hilarity until a blue –indicating a senior– faux police tape caught Wheein. Technically, it was legal. And technically, she is going to be engaged. To whom you may ask?

 

Let’s switch over to the other pair on this fair day.

 

Moon Byulyi was on her own because it was Yongsun’s shift and she had the luxury to eat her tteokbokki for her. As she discards said food a blue faux police tape wrapped around her- failing to teach her height so it got stuck on her face forcing her to stumble –a little– backwards.

 

Anyway, she- the groom- despite being in what may have been an overused and overwashed hand-me-down of a tux, was still dashing. Dashing and a little nervous. A bit nervous actually. Because the seniors requested to just marry whoever two pairs they catch because requests would be an unfair disadvantage for them (and freshmen). Even if Byulyi did demand someone after being caught, she's getting married no matter what. She’s completely penniless right now.

 

“I am only going to marry one person.” Were the only words Byulyi spoke, she didn’t even have her wallet or bag with her. Not that she would even want to miss such a free opportunity. She received silence and anticipation as all the seniors wondered who the lucky gal was. When she was about to speak but something- someone stole her words- her breath away.

 

The lucky student to be betrothed with the one and only Moon Byulyi was- like some fated and destined occurrence was the pale looking- sophomore sized with red joggers- Jung Wheein.

 

Breathless and a little too giddy about such perfect timeliness, Byulyi continued with the only word in her head. “Her.” She pointed with her whole head as her arms were still tied with the blue faux police tape.

 

Hyejin and Wheein’s laughter already died down to their inevitable doom. Not that they really mind because kissing wasn’t permitted. Not that the authorities would know but at least they said to just announce the newly weds with obnoxious typical marriage songs in the background. And these were the Blue Seniors, they weren’t s. They were cool unnies.

 

And cool unnies they truly were.

 

The background music of the fair’s grounds changed into the most obnoxious love song from the 80s. Making all heads turn to the marriage booth.

 

They had a cute set up of typical white panels adorned with plastic flowers as everyone watched Moon Byulyi with a cheap looking tux on the end of the isle. And Jung Wheein with a veil and a long table cloth worn like a cape slash dress to imitate the bride –her joggers and batch shirt still visible–. The bride walked down the really short red carpet aisle, along with her best friend Ahn Hyejin as an alto saxophone (on speakers) played Careless Whisper karaoke version in the background.

 

Was everyone laughing? Actually- surprisingly- for the first time today… no.

 

They were fawning over the soon-to-be-wedded-wives. Everyone within the fairgrounds watched the resident girl crush and ace-of-the juniors with anticipation and excitement. Almost having tears in their eyes.

 

For some reason the two looked dead serious that the audience couldn’t help but feel and gossip about Was this the main event today? Weren’t they the hot topic and champion of the dance competitions with other schools?! Oh the woman and the devil?? YOU MEAN WHEEBYUL?!

 

Everyone was chitchatting like there was some chismosavirus spreading on the fairgrounds. Until a senior tapped into the mic.

 

They were teenagers and teenagers only know the scenes of telenovelas or movies imitating a marriage so they had no idea how the hell to do anything. But that’s fine, this isn’t serious. Right.

 

Right?

 

It sure did not feel unserious by the way the table cloth dressed bride and the groom with beaten up tux looked at each other. They looked so into it for this to be something to laugh at. They looked too immersed in their fantasy. They left people in awe. No one dared look away. No one even dared to laugh.

 

“In the sight of everyone who has ears and eyes or in the presence of those who don’t, I now pronounce- Moon Byulyi and Jung Wheein,” Even the senior holding the mic was immersed in her role. She looked at the person whose name she mentioned, holding their hand to bring them together. “Wife and wife! You may now-” She pauses- everyone reeled in. Anticipating.

 

Is unnie going to risk it all for the wheebyulievers in the crowd? Is she going to change the line to make everyone’s wishes come true? Is this worth the trip to the disciplinaries office?

 

Yes. Yes it was. And cool unnies the seniors really were.

 

Because in complete disorderly fashion, she says “share your vows for everyone to witness your dedication and devotion to this wonderful occasion.” That was not part of the plan but whatever. It’s not like Wheein and Byulyi knew. The senior hands the mic to the very unprepared and suddenly on the spot groom.

 

“I- uh- I didn’t prepare anything- really…” Byulyi started off shy and awkwardly laughing. “But I suppose, no one can really prepare for falling in love.” She looked at her bride with an all too into-her-role-as-groom gaze.

 

But Hyejin and Yongsun (who suddenly appeared ditching her shift by the way) cringed in the terrible horrendous grease Byulyi is laying everywhere. They facepalmed in unison but the masses mistook it as the cue to give Byulyi a round of applause.

 

This is a mess. It almost feels like satire.

 

Byulyi hands the mic back to the senior. Only for her to have no words and hand it to Wheein like it was a hot potato. She, unlike Byulyi, had the time to think about what she had to say. She is prepared (not by much).

 

“It felt just like yesterday when I asked my friend- what if a chicken comes to you and proposes?” Wheein wasn’t even registering the crowd, she’s lost staring back into a wedding-induced gaze.

 

Everyone was laughing while their besties were suffering in an intense heart wrenching cringe.

 

“I didn’t think there would come a time, a walking street lamp would come to my life and do exactly that.” She smiles and hands back the mic- not bothering to look away from Byulyi’s eyes.

 

It did not make complete sense. But that’s love, I guess…

 

“And now, with these vows and the favor bestowed upon me by our masses, you may now-” A breath. Anticipation- expecta- “Resume with your own personal fairgrounds activities.”

 

As the regular fair music plays again, the unnie whispers to the two –still in their own zone– away from the mic as she ensures everyone’s not looking anymore. “You may now kiss the bride but please don’t make a scene.” She smiles at them and walks away.

 

Leaving the two- realizing the gravity of the situation. The actual real world scenario they have forgotten.

 

They both turn red as they register their hilarious attires and realize this wasn’t the beach wedding of the century. They were in the fairgrounds with lousy white panels and dying plastic flowers.

 

“I uhm- we’re married.” Byulyi, ever tactless coughs as she finally breaks the thickening silence. “So- Mrs. Moon,” She gets her love-charged soft gaze and greasy confidence back at the sight of Wheein’s dimpled smile. “Shall we use our newly wedded wives free pass to have a buffet?”

 

“I thought you’d never ask, Mrs. Jung.” Wheein replies with a toothy and a little too in love on the eyes, smile.

 

Did they do it correctly? Nope. Did they have fun? Maybe.

 

And that was the most important event on the first day.

 

 

The second day, however- was even more chaotic.

 

Someway somehow, Yongsun is on the run. On the run from two freshmen chasing her. It felt like a chase scene from an action movie except the most action they have was to not bump into everyone- not trip- and ultimately corner Yongsun.

 

The freshmen were determined. After catching Hyejin off guard as she exited the bathroom, they didn’t even waste another moment to catch another unsuspecting victim.

 

Because Yongsun felt safe enough to catch her breath –near the restrooms– two green faux police tape wrapped on her arms because they didn't want to get hit in case she panics.

 

“Oh nooo” Yongsun was horribly acting ‘woe is me’ as she’s all smiles and ragged breathing. “You got meee.” She prolongs the last syllable like a parent feigning a loss to their toddler.

 

Yongsun was dragged by the freshmen to their booth. They had police kit handcuffs on the table as Hyejin was waiting there. Unbeknownst to the reason she’s still uncuffed.

 

Upon meeting each other's eyes the two laugh at the situation they caught themselves in.

 

“Unnie! We’re going to share a friendship bracelet for an hour!” Hyejin was all too ecstatic to be caught.

 

“Omo… where will you drag me!” Yongsun wasn’t as worried as she worded it. She’s too giddy about their situation.

 

“We will do all the carnival games together! You need to win me that lion plush!”

 

The problem is that Yongsun is not the best at aiming. Let alone with her less dominant hand. Most of the carnival games required such a skill. That is why they both ended up having a little too much fun eating all the possible carnival food available. Feeding each other due to the lack of functional limbs.

 

It was a cute sight to behold. They were both being giddy- clumsy and cute. But it felt like something may happen… something not in their favor.

 

 

Such foreshadowing was in the form of Byulyi carrying Wheein’s whole body as she shouts PUt me doWN! Put ME DOwN! like she’s a log and Byulyi was a lumberjack.

 

“I am not putting you down. You said I’m not strong enough to carry you but you didn’t specify how.” Byulyi was a little too happy to have outsmarted the ace.

 

“No! What I said is my feet are tired and you should carry me br-” Wheein, getting a little too loose-lipped hesitated last second. She realized what she was about to say. Turning red- warmer- like the weather.

 

“Carry you how?” Byulyi, a little too victorious as she leads Wheein -who can only see her as she barrages it with slaps- into the ride that may make Wheein hug her tight in fear. Like she always wanted. Totally not gay.

 

“Like- like- how you should have when we got married yesterday!” Wheein did not want to say bridal style but still kinda did. Good for her. She won something… (we do not know what she won)

 

“Okay fine.” Byulyi has finally stopped walking, they reached their destination, the line for the scariest ride in this fair. Then she shifts her human log into a bridal style, throwing her a little. Earning a screech from her bride- Wheein. Wheein. Not her bride. Just Wheein. Just the girl that wrapped her arms on her neck in panic.

 

“You are a meanie, you know that?” Wheein had furrowed- annoyed eyebrows that did not make sense with her giddy smile.

 

“But I’m your meanie…” Byulyi was wearing a cap and doing kissy poses and Wheein was not having it. So she steals her bullcap. Covers them to steal a kiss. A kiss on the cheek. A Chaste- stolen- surprise attack. As Byulyi froze with eyes wide at such an effective counter, Wheein put back her cap and pushed it down.

 

Making Byulyi’s hold on her loose. Having her fears realized, Wheein’s eyes turn aghast. Only for Byulyi to recover and stumble a bit. “Holyshhh-” Wheein was about to say only to be cut off by Byulyi’s smile as she raises her head, the cap- returned a little sideways.

 

<
Please log in to read the full chapter